580 replies to this topic

#51 cj123

cj123
  • Global 100+
  • 135 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Aurora

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:45 PM

C&J - I am with Dr Gamelin.  I really quite enjoy her.  I had Dr. Case for most of my ultrasounds on my last cycle and I found her not as personable as Dr Gamelin, although she was nice and we never had any issues with her either.  I am hoping that this cycle goes much better than the last one, they are starting me on a much higher dose of Gonal F this time around, so hopefully it works.  I'm not looking forward to the driving back and forth as we are located in Regina.  Hoping it's a successful cycle for all three of us Aurora ladies!  I honestly have found the birth control to be the worst part so far.  Both last time and this time I get all possible symptoms, although I have found that taking them at night instead of the morning has made the nausea not as bad as it was last time.  

Me - 29  Hubby - 29

Trying to conceive since 2012

2013- Husband diagnosed with Congenital Absence of Vas Deferens caused by being a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis

2013 - decided to adopt before pursuing fertility treatments

November 2015 - Our beautiful baby boy is born!  We got to be there for the birth!  He's ours!

May 2016 - Adoption Finalized!!!

After a couple rounds of IVF without success, we are feeling discouraged and wonder if we should keep trying....

#52 C&J

C&J
  • 96 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:00 PM

Cj123 - I MUCH prefer Dr. Gamelin as well. So much more personable and easier to talk to I find. I am not looking forward to the BCP symptoms. I take all of my pills at night to avoid side effects as much as possible. So after today I think I'll just start doing that one at night too. Higher doses is higher $ so that sucks but hopefully it does the trick for you. She starting me at 150 gonal f and 150 Menopur and I would bet my last dollar that those will increase quite a bit during my cycle. Hopefully I have a better response that last time! Driving back and forth sucks. We're about 6 hours away so I'll be staying in Saskatoon for most of my stims. Thank God for airBNB!
Me 28 PCOS + Anovulation + Amenorrhea
DH 31 Healthy
6 months natural BFN
Clomid 50 Mg Jan 2014 - No ovulation
Clomid 100 Mg Feb 2014 - No Ovulation
Clomid 150 Mg March 2014 - No Ovulation
Clomid 200 Mg April 2014 - No Ovulation
Clomid 200 Mg May 2014 - No Ovualtion 
Referral to Dr. Gamelin Aurora (Short notice cancellation - first consult July 7 2014)
Letrozole 2.5mg July 2014 - No Ovulation
Letrozole 2.5 mg August 2014 - No Ovulation
Letrozole 5 mg September 2014 - 1 Follicle - BFN
Letrozole 5mg October 2014 - 1 Follicle - BFN
Letrozole 5 mg November 2014 - 1 Follicle BFN
Letrozole 7.5 mg December 2014 - 2 Follicles BFN
Letrozole 7.5 mg January 2015 - 2 follicles BFN
Letrozole 7.5 mg February 2015 1 follicle BFN
Letrozole 7.5 mg + Ovidrel + IUI March 2015 2 follicles - BFN
Letrozole 7.5 mg + Ovidrel + IUI April 2015 1 follicle - BFP
June 26 2015 - no fetal heartbeat - silent miscarriage
Missing our angel
Praying for our rainbow
Gonal f + ovidrel + back to back iui -September 2015 -BFN
October 2015 - letrozole 7.5mg + ovidrel +iui - BFN
January 2017 - IVF #1

#53 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 263 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:15 PM

I prefer Dr. Gamelin too! I find her manner warmer, and more friendly. Dr. Case is very professional, but I don't find she does anything to calm my nerves or make me feel comfortable.

I'm starting on really low doses - hoping that we don't get bumped up too much. 112.5 of Gonal-F, and 75 of Menopur. We'll see how it goes - less than two weeks until stims start!!

ME: 35 36, DH: 40

TTC since 2014.

IUI #1 and #2 - cancelled
IUI #3 - BFN
IUI #4 - cancelled

IVF #1 - December '16/January '17

One embryo transferred. Two more frozen.

BFP!  Betas 176 and 1897.

First U/S Feb 16 - HB 125. Measuring at 6w6d and looking strong. EDD Oct 5/17 smile.png

#54 violetta

violetta
  • Global 100+
  • 219 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:00 PM

Hi ladies,

Just poking my head in here again. Nothing exciting going on yet for me. The lupron takes a few weeks to really kick in, so I'm actually not having many side effects yet. I'm guessing one of these days it's going to hit me like a truck though! It sucks that some of you girls have side effects from your BCPs. I've been on lots of different ones over the years (which now seems very ironic) and the only side effect I ever noticed was slight breast tenderness.

yaenaSK - I hope you have a "unicorn" uterus and not a unicornuate one! Maybe they were trying to tell you your uterus is magical :) Sometimes it's hard to get concrete answers. I've been told I have a funny uterus too, just that it sort of twists backwards and to one side. They always find the ultrasound scans a bit challenging.

I can't wait to get started with this cycle. I'm trying to be positive, but honestly I just want it to be over with and know the outcome one way or the other. It used to be exciting, but now I'm just terrified of more heartbreak.

For now I'm trying to enjoy the holiday season as I dig out from underneath all this snow. Here's hoping that 2017 will be the year that we all get to hold our babies!

#55 sweikum

sweikum
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:07 PM

Hey everyone! This is my first time ever in a forum! I'll be doing IVF for the first time with Aurora end of December/ early January with Dr.Gamelin. I'm 27, husband 26, ttc for almost 3 years! Diagnosed with pcos November 2015. I dont get my period without medication. We have tried medicated cycles with 3 letrozole timed intercourse and 3 with letrozole/clomid with iui. 2nd iui ended in chemical pregnancy in sept 2016. Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself!

#56 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:03 PM

Wow! Four Aurora patients in this thread - and I think we're all with Dr. Gamelin? sweikum, welcome to the group! I'll be going through the process in the same group, same clinic (same doc!) as you. I am a little relieved to have company here - I have never been one to want to go first at anything, haha.

violetta - it's good to hear you haven't had too many side effects yet. The less you need to feel/deal with those the better, right? I had to laugh at your comment about BCP - I feel pretty lucky, too, that I don't really get side effects from them. (I actually feel a lot better on them - doctors are always surprised when I say that but it's like they police my hormones and keep everything stable and calm!) I have to laugh at all of the money I spent over the years, and how paranoid I was about taking them - turns out, I probably could have saved myself a few bucks. And yes - straight answers on those funny uteruses.. uteri.. what is the plural for that anyhow?

AFM - I've been enjoying a few days without thinking too much about what's coming up. I had family in town, and was able to relax, have a few glasses of wine, eat some good food, and just "feel normal" for a few days. What a relief that was. Company left today, but I am hoping the holidays will still be busy enough to distract me until it's go time!

TTC since 2014.

IUI #3 - BFN
IUI #4 - cancelled

First U/S Feb 16 - HB 125. Measuring at 6w6d and looking strong. EDD Oct 5/17 smile.png

#57 Watermelon

Watermelon
  • Global 100+
  • 453 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:28 PM

Just popping in to say hello again. Good to see so many have joined. I start stims on Dec 30th. Currently on bcp.
As a side note it's neat to see so many SK ladies here. I'm in vancouver (but cycling at vfc), but moving to Regina in February!!

Me -29 31- unexplained poor egg quality. I was told I had endometriomas.....but repeat ultrasounds at other clinics have said no sign of endometriomas. Maybe PCOS-like ovaries, but no PCOS - AMH, AFC are great. No one can explain why my eggs are so poor sad.png

DH 30 - severe teratospermia, count and motility are excellent.

May 2014 - 2.5mg femara - BFN (ovulated night before)

June 2014 - IUI with 5mg femara - BFN (ovulated night before)

August 2014 - IVF with ICSI - Antagonist protocol, 150Bravelle, 75 menopur, stimmed 8 days

- 19 follicles (all 15-22mm at trigger), 12 eggs retrieved, 7 mature,, 5 fertilized with ICSIsad.png

- only 7 mature eggs with an estrogen of 20000?! wtf?! Sigh...Freeze All

-only one BB Blast made it. Freeze "all" became "freeze one". All others arrested between day 3 and 4 sad.png

January 2015 - FET of lone embryo - c'mon little figher

- BFP!!! Beta 1 475 at 10dp5dt , Beta 2 - 1495 at 12dp5dt

Baby boy born Sept 28/15

#58 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:37 PM

Welcome to the group watermelon! We actually start our stims on the same day :) Hope we all have good results!

TTC since 2014.

IUI #3 - BFN
IUI #4 - cancelled

#59 Tellette

Tellette
  • Global 100+
  • 149 posts
  • My Clinic:ART

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:19 PM

Hello all, I am back once again.  Ive been in the IUI groups, ive been in the IVF groups, ive been to the FET groups and now i am back in the IVF group lol.  I did 6 cycles of IUI.  On my last IUI, they turned it into an IVF because i had a lot of follicles, well 9.  So i paid the money and 1 5 day blast came out of t hat.  Did the FET in 5 November and got a BFN.  I did pineapple core. I did pom juice. I did acupuncture.  This will be my 3rd IVF.  My 1st IVF produced no eggs, but they think i had the wrong trigger.  So this time, we used something different so i was excited to get some. and we did.  Hopefully this next cycle, done the correct way, with the correct trigger will produce a lot of eggs.  I hope so.  this stuff is expensive lol. Just started BCP yesterday.  Good luck ladies! 

#60 cj123

cj123
  • Global 100+
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:56 AM

Welcome to all the newbies!  Glad to have you here!

I'm starting to get a bit excited about everything! A week from today I go for my baseline ultrasound, and my last day of birth control is Saturday!  I'm so excited!  I think Christmas will help distract from everything too which is hopefully good, I sure hope that my body decides to respond to the medication this go around.  Feeling cautiously optimistic, really hoping it works, but I'm trying to be realistic in knowing that it may not - (in hopes that I'm not devastated when it doesn't work).  Anyone else think like me?  I tend to be a natural pessimist... unfortunately.  And then I go back to be super optimistic and then I'm pessimistic the next moment.  Anyways, this is why I am trying to not think about it... it's best for my mental health!  Most not looking forward to driving 6 hours every couple days to get to the clinic, but hoping our lovely Saskatchewan winter roads are decent when I'm driving.  

How is everyone else doing?  Getting excited?  Driving yourself a bit crazy like I am?  Hope you all have great holidays with all your family and friends! :) 

Me - 29  Hubby - 29

2013- Husband diagnosed with Congenital Absence of Vas Deferens caused by being a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis

November 2015 - Our beautiful baby boy is born!  We got to be there for the birth!  He's ours!

After a couple rounds of IVF without success, we are feeling discouraged and wonder if we should keep trying....

#61 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:06 PM

cj - I completely understand the mindset. This is our first go at IVF, and I feel like I am just trying to keep myself from expecting it to work or not work. I don't want to get my hopes up in case it doesn't - but I also am trying hard to not be a total downer. So I am basically trying to take so much of the emotion out of it and just look at it like an experiment or a "process", and not think about the possible end results. There is just so much heartache in IF.

• returnable likes this

TTC since 2014.

IUI #3 - BFN
IUI #4 - cancelled

#62 sweikum

sweikum
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:47 PM

Cj123 I also go for my baseline on the 28th and finish my bcp Saturday!

#63 sweikum

sweikum
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:47 PM

Cj123 I also go for my baseline on the 28th and finish my bcp Saturday!

#64 cj123

cj123
  • Global 100+
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:52 PM

Sweikum We must be on pretty much the same schedule!  I'm at 825 next wednesday, which will be fun as I have to drive in from Regina that morning:(  then I start injections the next day!

Me - 29  Hubby - 29

#65 sweikum

sweikum
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:01 PM

I'm 845 and also start injections the 29! I'm driving up the night before with my mom and staying over night

#66 lisa222

lisa222
  • 35 posts
  • My Clinic:Fertility

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:14 PM

Hi all! I am 2 years TTC and about to start our first round of IVF in January. I'm located way on the other side of the world, and don't know if I can use these boards, or if there is an international forum? Feeling nervous, and have had a 4month downreg to calm my uterus... so a long wait for IVF. I'm young (27) and I don't know anyone who has ever been through this... all my friends are off travelling the world. It's nice to read your comments. 

#67 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:05 AM

Welcome Lisa! Four months - wow - that is a LONG wait. How are you keeping yourself sane??  I will have been on BCP for five weeks before starting my IVF cycle, and that seemed like ages to me.

Sweikum and CJ - I am a little jealous! Clearly they have us staggered (which makes sense!). My last day on the pill is Christmas Day, and my baseline is at 8:10 on the 29th. Starting stims on the 30th! (The early time sucks, but I am right in Saskatoon so I expect to get super early times for all of my appointments!)

TTC since 2014.

IUI #3 - BFN
IUI #4 - cancelled

#68 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 1,822 posts
  • Interests:running, cooking, gardening, travelling
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:14 AM

C&J did your meds come in yet? 

Two IVFs and no chromosomally normal blasts to transfer...we are done with my eggs.

#69 cj123

cj123
  • Global 100+
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:41 AM

Lisa222- welcome!  I hope we can offer you support as we all journey through this together!  

YaenaSK - It's nice that you're in Saskatoon.  Last cycle I had to drive to and from Saskatoon every second day for about a week, it was rather annoying.  We have a 13 month old little man, so it's easier with him to just go back and forth as opposed to staying out there.  It's nice to be in your own environment when you have little people!  Yes they do stagger us.  I was chatting with a girl from work who has gone to Aurora for IUI and she had asked how many people they do on a cycle of IVF, apparently they told her 28.  Doesn't that seem like ALOT?  That's what she said... although I'm questioning whether that's true.... who knows though!  

sweikum - it's nice that you can go up the night before.  It's nice not to have to drive at 5 am by yourself.  But it will be what I am doing, I had thought about staying in Saskatoon, but it's so much easier to be at home with our little guy.  So I usually leave my house by 530-6 depending on appointment time.  Spend 10 minutes at the clinic and turn around and come home.  Usually home by noon.  

AFM:  I am SO excited to get off these BCP.  Last one is on Saturday, thank goodness.  I am completely exhausted, and unmotivated to do anything.  Last time when I stopped the BCP I felt like I was a human again.  Feeling so much like a zombie.  Can't wait for the human feeling to come back!   Getting ready to get this show on the road, that's for sure!

Me - 29  Hubby - 29

#70 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:57 AM

cj - WHOA. 28? That seems like a lot for sure. Maybe that is 14 couples and not 28 women? I think there were about 9 couples at our orientation, and I think there are a couple of others who have been through the orientation before that I know of, who didn't need to go that day.

I feel so bad for those of you who need to commute from other cities for this cycle. It just seems like it adds a whole extra layer of complication and sacrifice on to something already so difficult. I'll be crossing my fingers and hoping for good weather and clear roads for you all. We do feel really lucky to be right in Saskatoon - I think Dr. Gamelin said that, at least among our orientation group, DH and I are the only "locals" this cycle.

DH and I had a big "oh crap this is really happening" moment yesterday. He is just in awe that I am willing to go through the needles and procedures (and of any woman who goes through IVF) - I think it has finally hit him that this isn't a minor thing. In return, he's being super sweet ;) He secretly talked to my parents in NS, and got my mom to send a traditional Christmas dinner menu for our family - and has asked his mom to swap out her usual meal for mine. I haven't had a Christmas dinner with my fam in about 15 years, so this is really sweet of him and his parents.

TTC since 2014.

IUI #3 - BFN
IUI #4 - cancelled

#71 C&J

C&J
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:48 PM

Hey ladies. I decided to come home to Ontario for Christmas. I broke my ankle! So mum is taking care of me. I am super pleased to announce that my meds came and they are PERFECT! They are exactly like what we get here!
Me 28 PCOS + Anovulation + Amenorrhea
DH 31 Healthy
6 months natural BFN
Clomid 50 Mg Jan 2014 - No ovulation
Clomid 100 Mg Feb 2014 - No Ovulation
Clomid 150 Mg March 2014 - No Ovulation
Clomid 200 Mg April 2014 - No Ovulation
Clomid 200 Mg May 2014 - No Ovualtion 
Referral to Dr. Gamelin Aurora (Short notice cancellation - first consult July 7 2014)
Letrozole 2.5mg July 2014 - No Ovulation
Letrozole 2.5 mg August 2014 - No Ovulation
Letrozole 5 mg September 2014 - 1 Follicle - BFN
Letrozole 5mg October 2014 - 1 Follicle - BFN
Letrozole 5 mg November 2014 - 1 Follicle BFN
Letrozole 7.5 mg December 2014 - 2 Follicles BFN
Letrozole 7.5 mg January 2015 - 2 follicles BFN
Letrozole 7.5 mg February 2015 1 follicle BFN
Letrozole 7.5 mg + Ovidrel + IUI March 2015 2 follicles - BFN
Letrozole 7.5 mg + Ovidrel + IUI April 2015 1 follicle - BFP
June 26 2015 - no fetal heartbeat - silent miscarriage
Missing our angel
Praying for our rainbow
Gonal f + ovidrel + back to back iui -September 2015 -BFN
October 2015 - letrozole 7.5mg + ovidrel +iui - BFN
January 2017 - IVF #1

#72 lisa222

lisa222
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:11 AM

Thanks yaenaSK and CJ123 - four months has been a long wait, but kind of nice to take a break from trying as I don't feel disappointed each month (no way I can get knocked up!)

I am really nervous about starting the stimulation injections - we are due to go away for a friends wedding and we are glamping' for four nights - kind of wish I was home for that time (CJ123 - any advice on the first few days of self injecting?).  Sweikem - must be really tough to have to travel away from home!

I am already nervous for the 2ww... I am a teacher (6 year olds) and super worried about getting bumped into, or needing to move furniture. 

#73 lisa222

lisa222
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:17 AM

Also.....

yaenaSK - how cute is DH? Such a lovely thought at Christmas time. My DH seems so unbothered by the process, it must be nice to have that acknowledgement.

C&J - oh no!!!! What a time to break your ankle. Hopefully it heals nicely and you are spoilt at Christmas time :)

#74 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:08 PM

Lisa - I hear you on enjoying not having that "didn't work" letdown every month. On the one hand, part of me can't let go of the hope that it will just randomly happen sometime - but the realist in me knows it isn't going to be like that for us, and is just grateful to have some certainty for a couple of months.

Also - yes! DH has been adorable and sweet and so wonderful this holiday season. I think the reality of what we are doing, and what it means, really hit him at our orientation. The last couple of days, we've had family in town (with our nieces and nephew - all under 6) and I don't think I could have coped without him being as sensitive as he is.

C&J - how's the ankle healing? A little spoiling from your mom sounds like the perfect way to spend the holidays before January hits.

Anyone else getting excited/nervous/impatient?

TTC since 2014.

IUI #3 - BFN
IUI #4 - cancelled

#75 ETA

ETA
  • 19 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:PCRM EDMONTON

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:44 AM

Wow I love hearing all the supportive messages !! Go Jan IVF group!!!! I start my injections and have my baseline US on Jan 18. Retrieval should be around Jan 31-feb2.

This is my first time doing IVF and I'm not sure if I should be totally excited and super optimistic(in case there is disappointment) or just have no expectations- which doesn't feel right to me.. I want to be happy and put positivity and hope into the process.... is this kind of. A bad idea ?