Group B Strep UTI

uti group b strep fet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zoe13

Zoe13
  • Global 100+
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:Reading, DIY Projects (that I often mess up), teaching, exercise, tea with friends, eating yummy food.
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Hannam Fertility (2012); TRIO (2016)

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:30 PM

Hi Everyone:

After being misdiagnosed as a yeast infection number of times, my family doctor has realized that I've had a UTI caused by Group B Strep since May.  I have been on antibiotics to kill it 4 times (5-7 day treatments depending on the antibiotic) and was also on antibiotics for a sonohystogram and bacterial vaginosis (which I actually didn't have, it was the UTI bothering me... they just kept insisting it was my vag that was the problem area....). 

Here's my tie in to infertility with this - I feel crappy due to the UTI that won't go away.  DH and I did a FET in Aug. which was unsuccessful.  I felt HORRIBLE for that cycle - all the vaginal suppositories mixed with what I now know is a UTI was brutal and I think the UTI might have attributed to the lack of success.  My family doctor has referred me to a urologist (still waiting on an appointment date) but my DH is 44.  I'm 34 but he would really like to get moving on having another child, if that's what we're going to do.  Although I do want another child, I just don't feel like my body is in good shape right now.  

Has anyone else had experience with a UTI caused by Group B Strep (my doctor says it's not typical and more serious than a normal UTI b/c it isn't going away)?  Did it hang on like this one, despite rounds of antibiotics?  Any suggestions would be helpful, although I believe I've done all the normal things to get rid of a UTI (cranberry juice like crazy, lots of water, loose clothing, taking a probiotic, etc.)  I just want it to be gone so I can move on and don't want to end up in months of urology appointments before I'm feeling normal again!  Thanks in advance for any experience or tips you have.

IUI#1 - April 2011 - Clomid, Ovidrel, and Endometrin - BFN
IUI#2 - July 2011 - Letrozol, Ovidrel and Endometrin - BFN
IUI#3 - October 2011 - Gonal F (75iu), Ovidrel and Endometrin - BFN

IVF - July 2012 - Gonal F, Luveris, Cetrotide, Ovidrel, Prometrium and Estrace
13 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized, 2 day 5 blasts transferred, 4 frozen BFP!
Feb. 2013 - Daughter born via emergency c-section at 30 weeks due to PPROM.  She's a healthy little one now!

FET #1 - Aug. 2016.  Short Protocol.  Transferred one perfect 6AA fully hatched blastocyst - BFN!
FET #2 - Oct. 2016?   Sometime in 2017.... long protocol.

#2 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 1,375 posts
  • Interests:running, cooking, gardening, travelling
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:16 AM

With UTIs you both need to get on antibiotics. Though your husband may not have symptoms, he may be reinoculating you as a carrier. Also when you shower don't use your towel to dry your undercarriage. Have face cloths that you put to wash after one use. Again you could be reinoculating yourself. Wear cotton underwear and don't wear clothing that is too tight. You need to air out. Once you have a UTI it will not clear up on its own but the things you were doing may help prevent.
  • nervus optimist likes this

See profile for my IF history.

#3 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 442 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:50 AM

Returnable - I've never heard that about UTIs but maybe it is true for the group b strep type? I usually get mine from being dehydrated and then not peeing right after sex. I have heard you can pass a yeast infection back and forth between partners. 

I am just getting over a UTI and another forum member recommended d mannose. I had never heard of it but will be buying some to have on-hand.

http://articles.merc...prevention.aspx

Sorry you're dealing with this! Must be super frustrating!

ME: 38 39 age appropriate AMH (14pmol/1.96ng), 7-8 FSH, AFC ~20
DH: male factor (using PESA/TESA)

June 2016 IVF w/ICSI, frozen PESA sample: 13 mature eggs - 4 fertilized - 1 day 5 blast frozen

FET November 2016 - Cancelled

CD 13 lining check 5mm after 10 days of 3x4mg estrace, CD 17 still 5mm. Cycle cancelled. 

Nov 2016 to Feb 2017 - acupuncture and supplements for thin lining. Hysterscopy. 

March 2017 - FET

#4 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 1,375 posts
  • Interests:running, cooking, gardening, travelling
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:37 AM

My cousin and his wife went through this when they were trying to have a baby as well. It was in Europe so perhaps they have a different take on things.

See profile for my IF history.

#5 Watermelon

Watermelon
  • Global 100+
  • 440 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:55 AM

GBS, while certainly far from the most common organism causing a uti, is not unheard of. About 25% of the population carries GBS in their GI tract at any given time. Much like E.coli (which causes 90% of UTIs) because it resides in the gut, it can occasionally end up being pushed into the urethra where it can cause a uti.

I would hope that your doctor has done sensitivity testing on the gbs causing your uti to ensure that the antibiotics you have been taking are actually effective at killing the strain of gbs you have. One problem we see with gbs is that more and more strains are now resistant to antibiotics that used to easily kill it. Some strains require pretty nasty antibiotics now. I'd be really surprised if your doctor hadn't done sensitivity testing, but it's definitely worth asking...
  • ENF and lumnay like this

Me -29 31- unexplained poor egg quality. I was told I had endometriomas.....but repeat ultrasounds at other clinics have said no sign of endometriomas. Maybe PCOS-like ovaries, but no PCOS - AMH, AFC are great. No one can explain why my eggs are so poor sad.png

DH 30 - severe teratospermia, count and motility are excellent.

May 2014 - 2.5mg femara - BFN (ovulated night before)

June 2014 - IUI with 5mg femara - BFN (ovulated night before)

August 2014 - IVF with ICSI - Antagonist protocol, 150Bravelle, 75 menopur, stimmed 8 days

- 19 follicles (all 15-22mm at trigger), 12 eggs retrieved, 7 mature,, 5 fertilized with ICSIsad.png

- only 7 mature eggs with an estrogen of 20000?! wtf?! Sigh...Freeze All

-only one BB Blast made it. Freeze "all" became "freeze one". All others arrested between day 3 and 4 sad.png

January 2015 - FET of lone embryo - c'mon little figher

- BFP!!! Beta 1 475 at 10dp5dt , Beta 2 - 1495 at 12dp5dt

Baby boy born Sept 28/15

#6 Zoe13

Zoe13
  • Global 100+
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:Reading, DIY Projects (that I often mess up), teaching, exercise, tea with friends, eating yummy food.
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Hannam Fertility (2012); TRIO (2016)

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:02 PM

Thanks everyone.  Watermelon:  He has been giving me antibiotics that should kill it based on the lab results....  but I've read some articles about needing to be on them for an extended period of time (which he doesn't seem comfortable with).  I'm hoping the urologist will be more aggressive.  Good to know it's not as rare as my doctor made it out to be...  I've been trying not to totally freak out.

Returnable:  DH and I haven't had sex in ages b/c I've felt so gross so I don't think he's reinoculating me.  I'll try the face cloth idea though to see if it helps.  I've had 4 rounds of antibiotics so I definitely know it won't clear up on it's own but good to have some tips of things that could help it move along!!  What you're describing sounds a bit more like what people do to stop yeast infections but it's worth a try!  Thanks.

Schlepp:  I agree - I typically feel one starting to come on if I haven't been drinking enough and don't pee after sex too.  DH and I renovated house, the facilities were in rough shape (and totally no existent for a time) so my strategy was to drink very little so I wouldn't have to use them....  I think that's what started this whole mess and then I tried to drink cranberry juice and hoped it would go away on its own... then finally went to the dr.  I think I gave it too much time and it's taken a strong hold in there....  I will look into d mannose too.  Thanks for the tip!

IUI#1 - April 2011 - Clomid, Ovidrel, and Endometrin - BFN
IUI#2 - July 2011 - Letrozol, Ovidrel and Endometrin - BFN
IUI#3 - October 2011 - Gonal F (75iu), Ovidrel and Endometrin - BFN

IVF - July 2012 - Gonal F, Luveris, Cetrotide, Ovidrel, Prometrium and Estrace
13 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized, 2 day 5 blasts transferred, 4 frozen BFP!
Feb. 2013 - Daughter born via emergency c-section at 30 weeks due to PPROM.  She's a healthy little one now!

FET #1 - Aug. 2016.  Short Protocol.  Transferred one perfect 6AA fully hatched blastocyst - BFN!
FET #2 - Oct. 2016?   Sometime in 2017.... long protocol.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: uti, group b strep, fet