Donor sperm instead of waiting for funded IVF? - Male Factor - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Donor sperm instead of waiting for funded IVF?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JessicaSW

JessicaSW
  • Global 100+
  • 388 posts
  • Interests:Husband, Dog Maggie, Family, traveling, home improvements, gardening, our future family!
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Ottawa Fertility Centre

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:04 PM

Hello everyone,

I haven't been active on the forums since my last IVF in 2012. With new Ontario funded cycles we decided it was the right time to take a second shot at it and add to our family.

Here comes my predicament - quite the wait list at my clinic! I'm strongly considering DS and IUI as now that I'm invested in doing this again I want to get the show on the road!

I guess my question lies in choosing to use DS vs DHs. Has anyone chose to do this rather than wait for IVF? I should mention we have twin boys from our first IVF with DHs sample... does it seem off to use DS for a second round sibling.. Where do I go to see what's available for DS? I'd like to see profiles and pictures if possible.

Me: 24 DH:27, Married since February 12/2011
TTC Since March 2011
May '12 - First appointment at OFC.
Short Protocol w/ Puregon & Orgalutran
Nov 18/12' - First day of stimms!

Nov 30/12' - Egg Retrieval! 9 eggs from my left ovary, RE was unable to safely get into my right so we had to leave them all behind!
Dec 1/12' - 8/9 Fertilized with ICSI! Scheduled for day 5 ET on Dec 5/12'!!
Dec 5/12' - ET of TWO Day 5 Blasts! GROW BABIES GROW! XO!
Dec 12/12' - BFP on Multiple HPT's! Pinch me, is this real??!?
Dec 17/12' - BETA 259!!

Jan 10/13' - FIRST ULTRASOUND - TWO beautiful babies measuring on track. Heartbeats 141 and 153.

Jan 18/13' - First OB app't - Heartbeats 171 and 180! Already so in love with these two beauties!

Feb 11/13' - NT Ultrasound - Everything looks perfect! HB's both in 160's

. Pregnancy Ticker

#2 amp77

amp77
  • 1000+
  • 2746 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:43 PM

I wouldn't use donor sperm unless it was medically necessary.  I would prefer the genetic link to both of us unless it wasn't possible.  Also, with donor sperm, you can never be sure of any genetic or health issues in the family and it may be hard to get that info later if necessary.  Good luck to you in whatever you choose!

Age 40, DH 44 in Oct.

TTC on and off since 2007 before our second IVF, in 2014, brought us our beautiful son and our first FET brought us our second son in 2017.  Our family is complete!

IVF #1 - April 2014 - BFN - no frosties

IVF #2 - July 2014 - BFP - 5B-AB and 4 frosties (5B-BB, 2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

Apr. 13, 2015 - Daniel Erik was born at 5:05 am, weight 8 lbs, 13 oz, and 22" long.  He is perfect in every way.

FET #1 - September 2016 - BFP - 5B-BB and 3 frosties (2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

June 18, 2017 - Matthew William was born at 2:46 am, weight 8 lbs, 11 oz and 21" long.  He is perfect in every way too!

#3 AMarie31

AMarie31
  • Just Hatched
  • 25 posts
  • My Clinic:Karma

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:48 AM

I am also struggling with this predicament right now. I had my egg retrieval on Friday morning (first time doing IVF but TTC for over 2 years). They retrieved 10 mature eggs however, my husbands sperm did not survive the thawing- not a single one. They didn't even recommend trying again with his. I am wondering if it is due to the thawing or not. My clinic does not have a urologist so we could only do frozen. Now I'm debating if we should start from scratch somewhere else- which could be up to another year wait only to hear the exact same thing- that even if fresh his sperm will never improve- or to go with donor. It is such a tough call. They froze my eggs so we would be able to do donor as early as next month. Or we go through this all over again to try to find a second opinion somewhere else. I just don't know what is going to be more taxing on us.

#4 Dani88

Dani88
  • Global 100+
  • 104 posts
  • My Clinic:Trio

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:32 AM

My DH doesn't produce sperm.  He had Micro-TESE surgery in August and what they found wasn't even called sperm... can't remember the name, but it's what it is before it becomes sperm.  We were given 5% chance with IVF/ICSI and we can't justify spending over $20,000 on IVF when we have a 95% chance of it not working, so if we decide to do IVF we would be waiting for the funding, and we have been waiting since December last year and were told our turn would come in 2017 or 2018... 

I did my first IUI with donor sperm on October 4th and find out tomorrow if I am pregnant or not.  We bought enough sperm for two more tries ... which will bring us close to Christmas... if in the new year I am not pregnant, we will decide if we want to wait for IVF funding or not..

Good luck with your decision.

Me: 28, DH: 27 - TTC since Oct. 2014 - DH diagnosed with azoospermia on Aug. 11/15 - Micro TESE Aug. 23/16
DIUI#1 - Oct.4/16 - BFN / DIUI#2 - Oct.31/16 - BFP - MMC at 9 wks - D&C Dec.23/16 / DIUI#3 - Mar.13/17 - BFN 
/ DIUI#4 - Apr.10/17 - BFN
ICSI - Egg Retrieval - Jun.21/17 - Retrieved 8 mature eggs & tried to fertilize 2 with partner's sperm (didn't work) & 6 with donor
Fresh Transfer - Jun.26/17 - Transferred one 5AA blastocyst (& froze 4 good quality blastocysts) - BFP! - Due Mar.14, 2018
d5YBm5.pngJH5wm5.pngB5jIm5.png6bQDm4.pngKzhzm4.png

#5 AMarie31

AMarie31
  • Just Hatched
  • 25 posts
  • My Clinic:Karma

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:47 AM

Good luck! Please let us know if it works! We have our follow up today after our failed attempt (even though we didn't make it to transfer). We are really considering the donor route. How did you find that process of selecting a donor? Based off of sperm donor banks I see it looks like they do quite the investigation for potential donors. Any advice going into this possible selection?

I am feeling the same way- if most if not all of my DH's sperm is abnormal and we could always have such a low chance, that's a lot of money and emotional exhaustion.