5 replies to this topic

#1 startingajourney

startingajourney
  • Global 100+
  • 818 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:AFCC

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:09 PM

Has anyone ever sent frozen embryos away for PGS or can this only be done on fresh embryos?

Just wondering about people's experiences with PGS in general?

How much did it cost for you? Is the cost per embryo?

Thanks! :)
<p>Me: 30, DH: 34</p><p>Male Factor: low count, poor motility, 0.5% morphology</p><p>Married 4/2009, TTC since Fall 2010, 2 fur babies<strong>April/May 2012 IVF #1 with ICSI:</strong></p><p>5/22: ER: 15 eggs, 11 eggs fertilized with ICSI</p><p>5/27: ET: transferred 2 grade 4BB blasts, 5 frosties</p><p>6/5: Beta #1: 250!,  6/7: Beta #2: 634!</p><p>9/4: 17 week scan: 2 BOYS!!! Cervix=1.7 cm with funneling. Strict bed rest! </p><p>9/11: Cervix=1.1 cm with increased funneling...cervical cerclage placed</p><p><strong>1/3/13: After 17 weeks of bed rest, our healthy twin boys arrived at 34w2d!</strong></p><p> </p><p><strong>Oct/Nov 2013 FET #1 to TTC #3:</strong></p><p>11/25: ET: transferred 1 grade 3CC blast, 3 frosties left, 1 frosty didn't survive the thaw</p><p>Resulted in a chemical pregnancy!<strong>Dec 2013/Jan 2014 FET #2:</strong></p><p>12/19: Beta is finally back to zero...given the go ahead for another FET.</p><p>1/6: ET: transferred 1 grade 3CC blast, 2 frosties left</p><p>1/15: Beta #1: 139!, 1/17: Beta #2: 455!</p><p>1/30: Viability u/s: one bean on board, measuring right on track with a heartbeat!</p><p>It's a BOY!  EDD 9/24/14</p><p><strong>9/17/14: Welcomed a healthy baby boy at 39w0d!

#2 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 1,905 posts
  • Interests:running, cooking, gardening, travelling
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:29 PM

I think they would have to thaw to do the biopsy and then refreeze. At our clinic the biopsy is a set cost around $2500 no matter how few or many. The PGS itself is usually for a set number of embryos (at our clinic the standard is 8) and then if you only get one or two embryos there is a small discount. I think for the 8 it's another $2500, so around $5000 for the biopsy and screening.

We have not done IVF yet, so no experience with it.

Two IVFs and no chromosomally normal blasts to transfer...we are done with my eggs.

#3 EverHopefull!

EverHopefull!
  • 1000+
  • 1,542 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Genesis/VFC

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:41 AM

My clinic would thaw, biopsy and refreeze as well.  I can't tell you the cost though, we didn't end up having enough to make it worthwhile.

TTC since December 2004

One successful IVF

Many, many unsuccessful IF treatments

Finally a successful DE cycle!  babyEver is due July 1st.

#4 Hopefulrealist

Hopefulrealist
  • Global 100+
  • 583 posts
  • My Clinic:TRIO

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:01 PM

Starting, I would echo what others have said. I did it on a fresh cycle and I'm glad I did b/c I had 0/6 normal blasts. I would have had 6 failed attempts potentially if I did not do it. We had no risk factors but I was just trying to  improve our odds of success. One of the blasts was a "no result" - they thawed and re-biopsied it and it was still a "no result" which is frustrating but our RE thinks that it is likely abnormal so didn't want to risk transferring it (although there is no way to be sure). 

If you have the resources I think it makes sense but there are some people who disagree and there is the possibility that even if you transfer a normal blast you won't have a successful pregnancy.

Based on your signature it seems like you have had a really successful run so if I were you I probably wouldn't do it unless you had multiple failed FET and a lot of frozen embryos. 

Me- 32 33, DH - 33 34

2 Failed IUIs (2015). 1 Failed IVF (April 2016). IVF#2- Sept 2016 (Freeze all). FET#1 Jan 2017 - BFN.

#5 startingajourney

startingajourney
  • Global 100+
  • 818 posts
  • My Clinic:AFCC

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for the helpful information, everyone!

I think we are going to just see what happens with this cycle. Neither blasts that we have left are very high grade. Although, the last embryo we transferred was also considered low grade and it turned into a healthy baby boy! That's why I sort of take the embryo grading with a grain of salt. It seems really subjective!

If this cycle is unsuccessful, then we are going to be looking at IVF again if we really want to try for #4. At this point, we have the resources to afford PGS. We didn't at the time we did our first IVF. For us, it's more about the difficulty of coordinating a cycle now.

We live in the middle of Iowa and my clinic is in Chicago. There are no good fertility clinics in Iowa! It's a 12 hour round trip drive to my clinic and I work a lot of hours at my practice. I'd rather spend the money on PGS if we do IVF again to know we are transferring normal embryos because every cycle for us is a big investment with arranging traveling, child care with our nanny, etc.

That then brings me to another question?

Because I'm still young and have really good egg quality with no known fertility issues (DH just has severe male factor which we overcome with ICSI luckily), I'm assuming I'll get quite a few good eggs again if we do IVF.

I asked my clinic about the possibility of sharing eggs after retrieval with another couple in need and they said they don't do that! Does anyone know clinics that are good in the states that do that? DH and I talked about it and if we could in anyway help another couple struggling with infertility, we would love to do that! I'd be willing to switch clinics if we do IVF again so that we could do a shared cycle! Do you guys know if there is a way to research comics who allow for that?
  • Yearning likes this
<p>Me: 30, DH: 34</p><p>Male Factor: low count, poor motility, 0.5% morphology</p><p>Married 4/2009, TTC since Fall 2010, 2 fur babies<strong>April/May 2012 IVF #1 with ICSI:</strong></p><p>5/22: ER: 15 eggs, 11 eggs fertilized with ICSI</p><p>5/27: ET: transferred 2 grade 4BB blasts, 5 frosties</p><p>6/5: Beta #1: 250!,  6/7: Beta #2: 634!</p><p>9/4: 17 week scan: 2 BOYS!!! Cervix=1.7 cm with funneling. Strict bed rest! </p><p>9/11: Cervix=1.1 cm with increased funneling...cervical cerclage placed</p><p><strong>1/3/13: After 17 weeks of bed rest, our healthy twin boys arrived at 34w2d!</strong></p><p> </p><p><strong>Oct/Nov 2013 FET #1 to TTC #3:</strong></p><p>11/25: ET: transferred 1 grade 3CC blast, 3 frosties left, 1 frosty didn't survive the thaw</p><p>Resulted in a chemical pregnancy!<strong>Dec 2013/Jan 2014 FET #2:</strong></p><p>12/19: Beta is finally back to zero...given the go ahead for another FET.</p><p>1/6: ET: transferred 1 grade 3CC blast, 2 frosties left</p><p>1/15: Beta #1: 139!, 1/17: Beta #2: 455!</p><p>1/30: Viability u/s: one bean on board, measuring right on track with a heartbeat!</p><p>It's a BOY!  EDD 9/24/14</p><p><strong>9/17/14: Welcomed a healthy baby boy at 39w0d!

#6 TryingWinnipeg

TryingWinnipeg
  • Global 100+
  • 274 posts
  • My Clinic:Sanford - Fargo

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:01 PM

Did you end up having this done?  I'm looking at getting pgs on my 4 remaining frozen embryos.  Also currently seeking a new clinic.

Me: 37 DH: 39
Dx: Male factor, low morphology - Female - scar tissue on cervix (removed via hysteroscopy) 

IVF #1 - July 2013 with ICSI

14 eggs retrieved

10 made it to blast

2 transferred; 8 expanded blasts frozen

DD born April 6, 2014

Fet #1 - Jan 2015

2 transfered

BFP

M/C @6 wks

FET #2 - take 2 (or is this FET #3) - July 2015

DDs (twins) born March 10, 2016