12 replies to this topic

#1 NikkiMc

NikkiMc
  • 93 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:KRFC/Olive

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:59 PM

I am really sad.

On June 17th, I had a lap done. My remaining tube (lost the other one to an ectopic 10 years ago) is completely blocked. *heart shatters* IVF is my only hope.

If IVF was free, I wouldn't be so sad. But it's not, and I don't have the money.

Have been dealing with infertility for 14+ years now and I always held onto hope that there would be a one in a billion chance that it would happen naturally. Now I know it won't.. that hope is gone.

This sucks... INFERTILITY SUCKS!

Sorry, just sitting in my pity party for a while. Thank you for understanding.

#2 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3349 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:03 PM

Big hug Nikki...we all know how infertility is a huge struggle. I mean all we want to do is bring a new life into this world that we can be a part of. Best wishes on your journey.

#3 Nerd4Life

Nerd4Life
  • Global 100+
  • 115 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:13 PM

I'm so sorry :( (((((Nikki))))))) *hugs*

#4 Dani88

Dani88
  • Global 100+
  • 104 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Trio

Posted 05 July 2016 - 04:03 PM

I completely get it.  I will be very lucky if IVF is an option... right now I am trying to accept the fact we might not be able to have a biological child together.  IF we are able to do IVF with my DH's sperm I will be thrilled to have some hope restored.. but at the same time, I am terrified about the whole process and we simply just cannot afford it and would have to take out a loan.  It's a huge gamble.  It really does suck, especially when you see so many around you getting what you want without any effort.  You're not alone in how you are feeling.  *hugs*

Me: 28, DH: 27 - TTC since Oct. 2014 - DH diagnosed with azoospermia on Aug. 11/15 - Micro TESE Aug. 23/16
DIUI#1 - Oct.4/16 - BFN / DIUI#2 - Oct.31/16 - BFP - MMC at 9 wks - D&C Dec.23/16 / DIUI#3 - Mar.13/17 - BFN 
/ DIUI#4 - Apr.10/17 - BFN
ICSI - Egg Retrieval - Jun.21/17 - Retrieved 8 mature eggs & tried to fertilize 2 with partner's sperm (didn't work) & 6 with donor
Fresh Transfer - Jun.26/17 - Transferred one 5AA blastocyst (& froze 4 good quality blastocysts) - BFP! - Due Mar.14, 2018
d5YBm5.pngJH5wm5.pngB5jIm5.png6bQDm4.pngKzhzm4.png

#5 NikkiMc

NikkiMc
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:44 PM

For some reason, I'm not getting notifications.. I have them turned on? Weird.

Thank you for listening, ladies. Most days I feel pretty strong (especially after this many years), or maybe I'm just numb.. but every once in a while, I break down hard. I obsess and it becomes the only thing I can think about. I just have to hold onto any hope I can.. maybe they will come up with funding, or more affordable access.. maybe..

It's wine Wednesday, I'm having a glass. I think I deserve it. :)

#6 lumnay

lumnay
  • Global 100+
  • 712 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:17 PM

Hi NikkiMc, I hope you're feeling better today. Yeah, infertility sucks!!! It is already difficult to suffer from infertility but when one also needs to spend lots of money to go through procedures that may or may not work, it gets even more stressful.

By the way, you mentioned you're not getting notifications. Perhaps you could "follow this topic" if you meant getting notifications when people respond or post comments here.
  • CdnHockeyGal likes this

Who stole ambushed my stork?  So many failed cycles with nothing to show but bills, receipts, and empty bottles of medications/herbs/supplements. See my profile for details...

UPDATE: I'm counting the days and hours waiting for this miracle to unfold. Christina Perri's A Thousand Years pretty much sums up my experience.

#7 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:52 AM

By the way, you mentioned you're not getting notifications. Perhaps you could "follow this topic" if you meant getting notifications when people respond or post comments here.

Yup! Click follow topic & you'll get the notifications. :-)

I'm sorry you find yourself having to contemplate IVF but glad you found us. Hoping you find this community to be as supportive as I have.
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#8 NikkiMc

NikkiMc
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:27 PM

Ahh, thank you! :)

I am feeling a bit better. My fiancée and I had a long talk in bed last night.

My infertility was discovered in my first marriage. Married in 2003. 3 IUIs in 2005, 1st was chemical, next two were BFN. Got pregnant in 2006 after using Pre-Seed. Ectopic. I argued with the doctor that something was wrong. He told me I probably just had my dates wrong. He let me get to 9w4d before I had emergency surgery and almost died. I also lost my left tube. Our mental health broke down. I recovered (somewhat), my ex did not. He ended up on all kinds of anti-depressants and sleeping pills. One night in 2008, he just never came home from work..

Infertility is traumatic. Period. It disgusts me the amount of money that infertile patients have to shell out for help. Kick you when you're down type thing.

My fiancé and I are not ready to have a baby yet. And the fact that he used to be a hard no on kids, to coming around to the idea... to last night, when he told me that we will go to the consultation and testing, and if my AMH says I'm running low, we will put off our wedding to save as much money as we can to freeze embryos. Wow. *heart melt* After my ex left, I was worried nobody would want 'damaged goods' and I'm sure that was the sadness talking. But it sure is amazing to have a partner, who has never endured the heartbreak of infertility, who is so supportive of the process.

I have my follow-up appointment with my OBGYN who did my lap. He said he was going to refer me to Kelowna for the free consultation. Guess I'll know more then.

This AMH thing is new to me, as I blocked infertility treatment out of my mind for several years. So crazy how they can tell how many eggs you have left. I'm almost scared to know!

Thank you for listening to me ramble! This has been weighing on my mind a lot since my surgery.

#9 Kay Pea

Kay Pea
  • Just Hatched
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:I am a singer, artist, quilter, writer and dog lover.

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:00 AM

Sending you positive thoughts and hope for good news. 

We did an IVF cycle this spring and the costs stress me out daily. I, too, am astonished by the expense of just getting to pregnancy. 

I'm so glad you have a partner who loves you. I've definitely had the "damaged goods" feeling. 

Nov. 2007: TA Hysterectomy to resolve constant pelvic pain

Dec. 2011: PCOS diagnosis

Aug. 2012: married my awesome husband

Dec. 2015: met a woman willing to be our GC

Mar. 2016: IVF cycle--15 beautiful embryos frozen

Now, we wait for more paperwork, legal stuff, and bureaucracy. 

No date for our FET cycle as of yet. 

#10 idream

idream
  • Global 100+
  • 383 posts
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:46 AM

I know the feeling,  Just doing one round of IVF with donor eggs, is a becoming a whole family financial project.  Even with funding in Ontario, I have had to do some creative financing.  

Tough Times Never Last, but Tough People Do

#11 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3349 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:03 AM

What is the process and cost of donor eggs in Ontario idream? Is it only funded under a funded IVF, or are other costs covered?

#12 idream

idream
  • Global 100+
  • 383 posts
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:31 AM

What is the process and cost of donor eggs in Ontario idream? Is it only funded under a funded IVF, or are other costs covered?

None of the costs associated with the donor are covered, but the monitoring of the donor and the retrieval are covered, the FET's will also be covered. 

Here is a break down of the costs

Agency fee - $2300.00

Donor - $5000

testing of donor - $500.00

legal fees - $650.00

Donor sperm -$1000

Drugs for donor -$6000

drugs for me -$1500

Freezing of embryos - $400

Travel costs - $1500

Tough Times Never Last, but Tough People Do

#13 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3349 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:36 AM

Wow. And how long does the process take from when you decided to use DE to hopefully actually receiving them?