7 replies to this topic

#1 LynnAqeel

LynnAqeel
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:55 AM

Hi im new here ...

I recently lost my ivf baby at 27 weeks due to VIS...

Although it broke my heart, i really wish to start over as soon... However i gained a lot of weight during my pregnancy... Do i need to lose weight first? Does anyone know if being overweight impacts the outcome of IVF?

#2 breezyboo

breezyboo
  • 1000+
  • 1940 posts
  • Interests:Cooking (:
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Barbados

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:15 AM

Weight impacts getting pregnant period whether natural or IVF.
Me: 30 Hypothyroid, Endo, MTHFR, elevated Cytokines,TNF 36.8 (13.2-30.6) IFN 27.5(5.8-20.5). 2006-Twin m/c @ 8wks w/ex BF followed by 22 BFN's ... 6 months on clomid & 4 IUI's. Married for 5yrs to the love of my life. We want to make that love childDH: 31 Azoospermia (NOA) FSH 28.3, LH & testosterone levels normal Normal genetics. NOA possibly due to injury when younger.IVF/ICSI Barbados 201312/3-ER! 18 eggs, 12 mature & 10 fertilized!12/8-ET! 2 beautiful beans snuggled into place! 7 snowflakes!12/13- BFP12/17- Beta 9dp5dt 255!12/19 Beta 11dp5dt 392, 13dp5dt 585???12/26 Beta 3,388!1/2 U/S TWINS!! HB's 122& 1211/20 U/S Lost Baby B @ 7-8 weeks. Baby A doing great!IT'S A BOY!!!4/29 @ 6 months our sweet boy became an angel ABSOLUTELY HEARTBROKEN  FET January 2015 CANCELLED thin lining WTF?FET September 2015 CANCELLED due to a cyst/delayed period...You gotta be kidding me?!FET October 2015 BFN ICSI/PGS Banking @ MCRM Feb & May 2016Feb & May 2016= 3 girls & 4 boys
FET October 13 2016 1 PGS normal girl = BFP!!!!! :D

#3 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 28 May 2016 - 12:12 PM

I am so sorry for your loss Lynn - I can't imagine the unbelievable heartbreak you must be experiencing.

Yes - BMI would impact an IVF cycle, but more importantly I'd encourage you to work with your healthcare team on determining, when a healthy time physically and emotionally would be for you to try again. Sending you love and healing.
  • LynnAqeel likes this
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#4 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:14 PM

I fortunately excess fat on the body causes higher than normal estrogen which absolutely affects the chances of pregnancy...

I cannot imagine the depth of sadness you must be feeling... I had a loss at nearly 13 weeks and it took me months to feel like I didn't want to scream or cry. But j do recall that having a plan to move forward made some of it a bit easier too.

Good luck mama. Take time to heal! (One thing we did that helped was to name our children that we lost. )
  • CdnHockeyGal, amp77 and LynnAqeel like this

See about me page.

#5 Cassandra_Angela

Cassandra_Angela
  • 1000+
  • 2084 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:HART

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:36 PM

I am so sorry for your loss, its not even something that I can imagine ajigl.gif

I have been doing treatment for 15 years and over those years my weight has been up and down drastically (I'm now 80 pounds heavier than when I started) what I do know is that regardless of my weight, my hormones remained the same, my weight never altered them. I am now almost 8 weeks pregnant at my heaviest when my previous cycles when I was thinner failed. Over all I do think that being physically healthy is in your best interests regardless of cycling and ideally when it works again you dont want weight being a concern during your pregnancy (which is what I am curently a little stressed about)

• schlepp and LynnAqeel like this

Please see "about me" section for details

Pictures tell a thousand words: https://www.instagra...dra_angela1981/

#6 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 28 May 2016 - 07:12 PM

Yes (depending on how overweight), but It's not only "getting pregnant" that a high BMI may affect, or the pregnancy itself which it may also affect -- but also very importantly the health of the child.  It is known that the metabolic environment in which the fetus grows for 9 months influences that child's long term health, right through to adulthood in terms of their risk for obesity and chronic disease.  That metabolic environment is not optimal for a majority of women with obesity.

• CdnHockeyGal and Watermelon like this

Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.

#7 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:29 PM

I am so, so sorry about your loss.  

Obesity seems to lower implantation rates, but it's not clear by how much.  

Other research about egg quality doesn't look at weight, but does suggest that eating protein versus carbs for the 3 months prior to IVF improves egg quality.

I went into this last cycle 30 pounds over my ideal weight.  I debated if I should wait to loose the weight before doing the transfer, but decided to go forward because the loss of time seemed like a bigger risk.  

Don't know if I did the right thing, but it's nice to move forward.   If you've only gained pregnancy weight, you may just want to move forward & not worry about weight loss.  

• LynnAqeel likes this

#8 LynnAqeel

LynnAqeel
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:12 AM

Thanks everyone for your input ...

FYI, I lost our son Aqeel on 15th april and am trying hard to lose weight now ... I guess its part of my moving on process...

i have talked to my dr and she suggest i wait a while for my body to heal naturally from the pregnancy and delivery but honestly im anxious coz im only getting older ...

P/s: i wanted to reply directly to comments but it seems i can only post a general reply?