Nothing but coconut oil for baby's bottom! - Parents Playroom - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Nothing but coconut oil for baby's bottom!

diaper rash

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 abundant love

abundant love
  • Global 100+
  • 477 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:29 PM

I just wanted to share that after 11 months our daughter has never once suffered diaper rash. We've used nothing but organic coconut oil and I'm amazed! I just thought I'd share this info for anyone who wants a natural product against their baby's skin that is also very affordable (and safe for when they rub their hands in it).

I heard so much about diaper rash before she was born that I can't believe it never occurred. Maybe there's more to it than just what you put on their bottoms, but so far so good with just using coconut oil. I'm so grateful to my friend who passed that info along to me.

• north likes this
<p><strong>Me</strong> - 38, one tube, slightly low OR <strong>DH</strong> - 35- severe MFI (usually 0 sperm) TTC #1 since 2008</p><p> </p><p>3 ICSI's with DH, 2 IUI's with DS = <strong>ALL BFN  </strong></p><p> </p><p><strong>3rd DIUI </strong> Sep 2014</p><p>Clomid + Letrozole + Pregnyl trigger, 2 follies on left, 7mm lining at trigger, 19 mil post wash <strong>BFP!!!</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> 

#2 Ola1981

Ola1981
  • Cyclebase
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Reading, cooking, golf, knitting
  • My Clinic:Aurora Reproductive Care Saskatoon

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:54 PM

We tried it and my ds still had a rash.....turned out to be diaper and wipe sensitivity....I'm happy it's working great for you though!! I love coconut oil for lots of other things :)
See about me for details of our journey to become parents to 2 beautiful children

#3 Saffy

Saffy
  • 1000+
  • 1524 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:14 AM

I used coconut oil a lot too. I had a wipes warmer and I would put water, about a heaping teaspoon of coconut oil and rolled up cloth wipes and it was great. The little bit of oil made it way easier to get off messes and left her bottom clean, moisturized and provided a bit of a barrier for the next poop. My daughter also had a sensitivity to disposable wipes and would get rash from them and other rashes were from having a nasty tummy bug and very acidic poo as a result. Then it is good to have the heavy duty zinc based cream on hand to use for a couple days.
  • north likes this

see about me page.

#4 Yearning

Yearning
  • Cyclebase
  • 1538 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Show Jumping, Reading, Chemistry, Genetics, Math.
  • My Clinic:Foothills

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:43 AM

Coconut oil never worked at all for my DD. We had to have a heavy zinc cream as a barrier. She had sensitivities to both wipes and diapers. We quite using wipes by about day 10 (I can't remember exactly anymore) and only used warm wash clothes. Even on outings. She was completely potty trained by 22 months and still gets "diaper rash" easily at age 5. It depends on the acidity of her urine or feces. We now know mostly what causes it. A whole orange (1/2 is ok). Pineapple, again a bit is okay and sometimes tomatoes but not always.
  • mouse likes this

#5 abundant love

abundant love
  • Global 100+
  • 477 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:02 PM

Having never had to really deal with rashes, I didn't actually know there was more to it! Acidity levels of pee and poo never occurred to me. Hopefully we won't have to pull the zinc out of the arsenal, but we do have it on hand from when SIL recommended it back when she was a few weeks old...Sudocream I think it's called. I guess our baby has just been very lucky so far!

<p><strong>Me</strong> - 38, one tube, slightly low OR <strong>DH</strong> - 35- severe MFI (usually 0 sperm) TTC #1 since 2008</p><p> </p><p>3 ICSI's with DH, 2 IUI's with DS = <strong>ALL BFN  </strong></p><p> </p><p><strong>3rd DIUI </strong> Sep 2014</p><p>Clomid + Letrozole + Pregnyl trigger, 2 follies on left, 7mm lining at trigger, 19 mil post wash <strong>BFP!!!</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>