Advice Needed: Is Matris Test Worth It? - IVF/FET/IUI Cycle Buddies - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Advice Needed: Is Matris Test Worth It?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Graceland

Graceland
  • Global 100+
  • 599 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Hannam (now)

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:00 PM

Help!

For those that have done the Matris test, were you happy that you did? I'm oscillating back and forth on whether it's the right choice for me. I think part of me is worried I'll score poorly. I suppose that's all the more reason to do it. Sigh. It feels like a lot of money for something yet to be proven. Your experiences are greatly appreciated.

Twin girls born December 2017 after 7 years of TTC

See 'About Me' for full details

#2 Godisgood

Godisgood
  • 12 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Hannam

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:24 AM

Hi, I am also a patient of Hannam and decided to give it a try. I debated a lot between Matris and Era, and did not want to lose another cycle on purpose (mock cycle). I will do it sometimes in June as part of my FET. I'll let you know the outcome.
  • Highest hopes likes this

#3 Graceland

Graceland
  • Global 100+
  • 599 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:43 AM

Thank you for the reply, Godisgood! I'd be very interested to hear your experience. Have you had failed transfers before? I'm wondering if Dr. Hannam is recommending it for all patients, or whether it's for those that may have had previous unsuccessful cycles.

#4 If at first

If at first
  • Global 100+
  • 373 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Mt Sinai

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:46 PM

He recommended it for me at our consult. I don't necessarily have implantation issues, I guess it's more of an issue of getting the lining thick enough to transfer and not have fluid throughout.
I honestly looked up the test and decided we wouldn't do it because I am not convinced that the test could really be accurate based off a picture being sent digitally... That is totally my two cents though. Dr Hannam really seems to put stock in it.

Journey on 'about me' page

#5 newone

newone
  • 12 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:44 AM

i had a number matris tests. My clinic tends to reccomend them because they are during that specific cycle and if low are very useful. Trouble is that a high number is no guarantee since there are obviously so many factors.

my experiences: First one was very low so its great that we cancelled rather than waste an embryo. The next two were better but not at threshold. then was going to go the era, but on the last cycle everything looked good otherwise( well for me that is.. lining has always been a little borderline), so we went for it ( i think the score was 6) and transferred a perfectly thawed and hatched embryo.  So far things are looking good.. (have an NT scan in 1.5 weeks so fingers crossed, still nervous obviously). 

My concern was when in the cycle is the clinic doing it. Each clinic seems to have a protocol using a different day on progesterone, so I don't know how the numbers compare. 

I found the website provided very little information. 

Compared to getting new embryos the 250$ wasn't the deterrent. I was so scared each time of yet another crushing cancellation.

Good luck in your decision. 

#6 Graceland

Graceland
  • Global 100+
  • 599 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:28 AM

Thank you for the responses!

At my clinic, the cost is $725. So unfortunately the finances of the decision are also weighing on me.

Newone, if you happen to recall, do you remember what your lining details were when you received low Matris scores? I'm sort of wondering if the Matris score is predictable. Say for example your lining is 9 mm with a triple stripe. I'd assume the Matris score would be 7+. But if your lining is below 8 mm and homogenous looking, then your Matris score would likely fall below the cutoff score.

I've decided to skip the test this time around. Perhaps if this transfer fails then I'll reexamine. Fortunately I have 5 highly graded blastocysts to work with.

I have asked for an ultrasound the day before transfer to double check that everything looks OK. If there's anything amiss, we'll simply cancel and try again.

#7 newone

newone
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:19 PM

hi, 

my thickest lining was around 7mm on day of prog start or hcg trigger depending on the protocol. 

When the score was very low, it was a bad start (didn't have a normal withdrawal first from a previous attempt when lining which was a failure). 

In my mind what worked for me was the elapsed time since the original protocol which I responded quite negatively to, the matris though didn't show a score of 9 or anything. but was no longer ~2

The two better ones, lining was again around 7, last one definitely had a triple stripe and looked "good for me" on ultrasound. 

Sorry that I cannot be more helpful. 

good luck

#8 Laurak

Laurak
  • Global 100+
  • 154 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Trio

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:24 PM

Help!
For those that have done the Matris test, were you happy that you did? I'm oscillating back and forth on whether it's the right choice for me. I think part of me is worried I'll score poorly. I suppose that's all the more reason to do it. Sigh. It feels like a lot of money for something yet to be proven. Your experiences are greatly appreciated.

I did the matris test 3 times. First score was 6, then the second score was a 5!! My dr thought bc I wasn't 'receptive enough' he would put me in menopause for 3 months to 'restart' my system. After menopause I did a long protocol and then on my 3rd matris test I scored a 6.5. I decided screw it, I'm going for it. With only one frozen 5 day blast I was nervous but I naturally conceived a son born with a heart defect so we're doing this for genetic purposes. I'm 7w3d so far so good!! I go for my first u/s Thursday. Good luck to you!

Btw... Not a fan of the matris.
  • Canadiangirl1978 likes this

#9 Laurak

Laurak
  • Global 100+
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:25 PM

Oh and each time I started progesterone my lining was 7

#10 Canadiangirl1978

Canadiangirl1978
  • 3 posts
  • My Clinic:Lifequest

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:01 PM

I'm pretty devastated that I've just been handed my 3rd low matris score - first was 5.5, second was 4 and last was 5.5 (this was a 'natural' FET cycle) needless to say I'm sick of the stupid test and am encouraged by hearing that even though others didn't 'pass' the test, they still got a bfp. My doc wants to give me a different protocol for the next round - doing the whole menopause thing like you Laurak - and I don't think I have the will or motivation to do it. I'm thinking of tell him that regardless of the next result, I want to go for it. I just don't hold alot of stock in this test when there are tons of other clinics out there NOT doing it..and  I doubt that everyone who got their BFPs at other clinics would of all scored higher than 7 if they took the test... sorry for the rant, just frustrated beyond belief. 

#11 Graceland

Graceland
  • Global 100+
  • 599 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:57 PM

Canadiangirl, that sounds super frustrating. :(

Do you know what could be causing the low score? Is your lining thin?

#12 Laurak

Laurak
  • Global 100+
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:03 PM

I'm pretty devastated that I've just been handed my 3rd low matris score - first was 5.5, second was 4 and last was 5.5 (this was a 'natural' FET cycle) needless to say I'm sick of the stupid test and am encouraged by hearing that even though others didn't 'pass' the test, they still got a bfp. My doc wants to give me a different protocol for the next round - doing the whole menopause thing like you Laurak - and I don't think I have the will or motivation to do it. I'm thinking of tell him that regardless of the next result, I want to go for it. I just don't hold alot of stock in this test when there are tons of other clinics out there NOT doing it..and  I doubt that everyone who got their BFPs at other clinics would of all scored higher than 7 if they took the test... sorry for the rant, just frustrated beyond belief.

Do you have Dr. cadesky? If you don't mind me asking, why IVF? I'm only asking bc my issue was genetics... So I wasn't too concerned about my body rejecting the embryo...although you never know... It's such a scary process....and expensive too!!

My first protocol I did BCP, lupron, estrace and then endometrium
Second protocol was a short one, lupron, estrace and PIO injections
Then menopause... 2 injections of depot lupron 1 month apart. First one December, then Jan. I got my period March 10th and then started another long protocol. BCP, lupron, estrace and prometrium. Matris score was 6.5 and I went for it. My first ultrasound is tomorrow so fingers crossed!!! I'll be just about 8 weeks according to the IVF calculator for a 5 days blast.

Good luck to you Canadiangirl!

#13 Canadiangirl1978

Canadiangirl1978
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:05 PM

Graceland my lining has always been good from what I know, always 7.5 mm and higher, so no idea what is causing the low score ..my doctor says it varies month to month but I'm 0 for 3 and they can't tell me why :(

Laurak we are doing IVF because we are unexplained. We conceived our daughter 4 years ago with iui, and we have been trying for number 2 since 2014.. Did 4 rounds of IUI so IVF was our next option, which we did this past November. We ended up with 12 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 9 fertilized and 5 to blast. The embryos scored average but they did note some abnormalities with my eggs..which they are not sure is a factor :s The first transfer of 2 blasts were a bfn and we've been trying to do a FET since with no luck. My doctor is Laskin, and my first two protocols were the same as you. This last one was a natural FET, and then he said he may want to put me on the "menopause" plan and I am not loving that option. Anyhow the nurse called me back today and she said Dr, Laskin reviewed my history and said he will do the transfer if I want..I guess he looked at my three failures and figured I'd been through enough? So we are going for it, whatever will happen will be I guess. Praying for a miracle. That is so encouraging about your pregnancy and a big congratulations to you ! Seriously gave me hope despite what stupid matris says :) good luck on the ultrasound tomorrow, I'm sure it will be great !!
  • Laurak likes this

#14 Laurak

Laurak
  • Global 100+
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:30 AM

Canadiangirl, menopause was horrible. Hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia... Just a nightmare! And for me to only score .5 higher than my first test, I was like forget it, I'm not going through anymore tests, I know my body can do it. Eat healthy, take your vitamins, get good sleep, exercise and that's all you can do. I'm off to the clinic in 30min or so. FX!!

I really wish you good luck!! I'm glad Dr. Laskin is happy to go for it. They really wouldn't advise you to if they believed there wasn't any hope.

#15 Laurak

Laurak
  • Global 100+
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:54 PM

So the tech doing my ultrasound scared the crap out of me. First she asked if I had a bleed (which I did) and when I asked if everything was okay and she said sometimes it's just early to see things. I wanted to cry I thought blighted ovum for sure. Then she asked when I did my egg retrieval. (Which was last August) Then she asked if I was okay doing a vaginal ultrasound and I said of course. So I went to empty my bladder and nearly balled my eyes out in the bathroom. When I came back I told her my heart was beating a million miles a minute. She was like why?? I said you're scaring me, is there a baby in there? She was like of course there is! I didn't say a word after that. She then called in my DH and we were able to see pics of our little blob! :) I'm measuring 8 weeks and had a strong heartbeat of 165!! We've officially been referred to an OB at Mt. Sinai Hospital. Next test is called IPS. So relieved to hear all good things today

#16 Canadiangirl1978

Canadiangirl1978
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:09 PM

So great to hear Laurak, such awesome news! So so happy for you :) and I bled at 9 weeks with my first ..it's not uncommon!
  • Laurak likes this

#17 Godisgood

Godisgood
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:24 PM

Graceland, the quote I got from Hannam for Matris was 625$, not 725$.
I wonder why it's always more expensive in Hannam when the analysis is done by a third party...
I was suggested to do it because I had 1 chemical and 1 BFN from PGS normal embryos.
Just trying to eliminate any other potential issues I may have.
This is my second IVF and only have 1 pgs normal embryo, so very nervous!

#18 elephantshoes

elephantshoes
  • Cyclebase
  • 869 posts
  • My Clinic:LifeQuest/MFC

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:52 AM

I did the Matris test twice - first time my score was an 8 and the second time I believe was a 7.5.  I transferred one embryo following the score of 8 - BFN.  I transferred two PGS normal embryos following the score of 7.5 - BFN.  It was later revealed through an endo biopsy that my window of implantation was off.  Why the Matris couldn't see that is beyond me (as I believe it would show that my lining had already started to deteriorate).

So no, I'm not a fan of the test.  Next FET I'll be asking for an ERA.

IVF 1 - cancelled, oversuppressed

IVF 2 - cancelled, ovulated through stims

IVF 3 - BFP, welcomed beautiful baby girl

FET 1 - 1 blast, BFN

FET 2 - 1 blast BFP, chemical

FET 3 - 2 blasts, BFN

IVF 4 - adding in PGS this time, two PERFECT blasts transferred, BFN

ERA revealed implantation window is off by 2 days

IVF 5 - cancelled, ridiculously bad growth compared to other cycles

IVF 6 - transfer cancelled, all 11 blasts came back genetically abnormal

getting second opinion/changing clinics...the story continues...

IVF 7 - 34 retrieved, 7 day 5 blasts, 6 PGS NORMAL!!!

FET 4 - 1 euploid blast (4BB), BFN

Immune testing - NK cells too high, LADs too low - 3 LITS + IVIG recommended and completed

ERA testing shows that lining is receptive for 7.5dt 

FET 5 - 1 euploid blast (3ABO), BFP

BETA #1 - 10dp5dt 252

BETA #2 - 12dp5dt 559

everything is crossed...

Welcomed another beautiful baby girl 

FET 6 - 1 euploid blast (3BAO), BFP

BETA #1 - 13dp5dt 420

Welcomed our 3rd beautiful baby girl

Our journey is complete.  What a wild ride.

#19 Graceland

Graceland
  • Global 100+
  • 599 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 07:51 PM

Well, I've decided to bite the bullet and try the Matris test this month. My lining measured 7.7 mm the day before progesterone was introduced with no triple stripe, so I'm a bit worried I'm going to "fail" the test. The test is on Wednesday. I'll report back when I get my results.

#20 newone

newone
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:06 PM

i failed the matris test three time. (first two were 2.5 (yikes!) and then 5 i believe) 

the third time score was 6 i think. Lining was ~ 7mm, and triple stripe, and "looked good for me" according to the experienced ultrasonographer.

Went for it anyways with PGS embryo and am now 20 weeks GA. crossing my fingers for this to continue (please no congrats.. just good thoughts) 

• Graceland likes this

#21 Graceland

Graceland
  • Global 100+
  • 599 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:29 PM

Newone, I won't say congratulations just yet but I'm sending you positive thoughts. Thank you for the reply.

I did the Matris test this morning and I'm happy to report that I scored a 7.5. My clinic considers a 7 as the cut-off point, so our transfer is a go... gulp. I'm really quite surprised that I passed the test considering I've been plagued with lining issues for what seems like forever. Who knows if it'll lead to a BFP. I'll be sure to update this thread when I have news (good or bad) to share.

#22 Godisgood

Godisgood
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 05:07 AM

I am doing the test this Sunday. My lining was 9.5 before starting progesterone and saw triple. Theoretically, I should get a good score, if I pass, transfer will be 2 days later. Did not know we can get result the same day. Maybe different if done on Sunday...was the ultrasound any different than normal?

#23 Godisgood

Godisgood
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 05:10 AM

Good luck Graceland! Hope it works out for you!

#24 Graceland

Graceland
  • Global 100+
  • 599 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 05:27 AM

Godisgood: Good luck to you too! I'm confident you'll get a great score. I think my clinic rushed the results for us, for whatever reason. My guess is because we're out of town patients so there were some travelling logistics at play if our score was poor and we had to cancel. Typically results come next day or 48 later. With respect to the procedure itself, it's just a regular old transvaginal ultrasound.

#25 Godisgood

Godisgood
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:44 PM

I got my Matris test....got 4.5 so the transfer is cancelled. So looks like the good thickness doesn't necessarily mean good score...