3 replies to this topic

#1 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 842 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:White Lotus Naturopathic

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:29 PM

If anyone is interested in learning more about this study, here are some of the factors involved: 

http://www.whitelotu...t-cause-autism/

Dr. Fiona McCulloch, BSc., ND : Naturopathic Doctor, Integrative Women's Health & Fertility
White Lotus Integrative Medicine
Greenfield Ave, Suite 201
North York, Ontario, M2N 3CBCanada
phone (416) 730-8218

#2 Kayte

Kayte
  • Global 100+
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:11 PM

How about prescribed folic acid? Ever since I first started at my first fertility clinic, i was prescribed an increased dose of folic acid (5 mg). In addition I take a prenatal (Materna) which of course contains it too. I always assumed prenatals may not give the authentic amount of folic acid listed. Is there danger in this amount in total?

#3 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 842 posts
  • My Clinic:White Lotus Naturopathic

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:51 PM

Unfortunately, we don't know. Your body has to convert synthetic folic acid to methylfolate in order to use it, and not everyone can convert it well if they have MTHFR  (or other similar) mutations in the folate metabolism genes - in the end, are these large doses beneficial when you can't convert them into the active form? And, could they do harm if the unmetabolized folic acid remains in the bloodstream? That we don't know, but there are some concerns I included in the article about this.

Also, this study isn't anywhere near conclusive  - there are so many other factors involved in this study in particular which would skew the correlation such as socioeconomics.

There is a strong movement against synthetic folic acid in the community of people who have MTHFR mutations, as well as a movement against the fortification of foods with folic acid. 

The bioavailable form of folate is L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate - this is the same form found in vegetables but it is also available in supplemental form - it doesn't have to be converted - helpful for those with the gene. You can find out if you have this gene by doing a test at 23andme.com. 

In the US, many fertility clinics do use prescription methylfolate for those with the MTHFR mutation -on the label methylfolate may appear as "L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate", or "Quatrefolic" or "L-5-MTHF". Synthetic folic acid appears as "Folic Acid" 

Dr. Fiona McCulloch, BSc., ND : Naturopathic Doctor, Integrative Women's Health & Fertility
White Lotus Integrative Medicine
Greenfield Ave, Suite 201
North York, Ontario, M2N 3CBCanada
phone (416) 730-8218

#4 macejaran

macejaran
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:53 AM

Hi DrFionaMcCulloch! Thanks for the link. The information about folic acid autism really helpful.