• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dani88

Dani88
  • 97 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Trio

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:17 PM

I am wondering if anyone has done or has heard of doing ICSI with your partner's sperm and donor sperm.  Basically, my DH has been diagnosed with azoospermia (zero sperm count) and is doing a procedure called Micro-TESE to try to find sperm to use for IVF/ICSI.  If we have my husband's sperm, can we also get a vial of donor sperm and if enough of my eggs are retrieved, do ICSI with both - some with DH's sperm and some with DS, so that if I don't end up getting pregnant with DH's sperm, I have a shot with a frozen DS embryo?

I am asking as I am worried about our chances being significantly lower with my husband's immature sperm that's been frozen (if we find sperm)... and we won't be able to do IVF more than once.  Right now, the plan is to try IVF/ICSI with my husband's surgically retrieved sperm and if no sperm is found or we don't end up with our baby, we would move on to donor sperm with IUI... I know that if we do several attempts of IUI with DS it will add up significantly and we may end up being told to go down the IVF route with DS too.  I am trying to think of a better way and in my head it makes sense for us to retrieve my DH's sperm, have donor sperm as well, and have some embryo's from my husband's sperm and some from donor sperm -- then kind of decide where to go from there - depending on the quality of the embryos and what the doctor thinks etc.  Is this even a thing?  Is it allowed?  Has anyone here gone down this route if it is a route?

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Me:  27,  DH:  27 (Non-Obstructive Azoospermia) - TTC since October 2014
Micro-TESE August 23, 2016
Unmedicated Donor IUI - October 4, 2016 - BFN
d5YBm5.pngJH5wm5.pngB5jIm5.png

#2 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 589 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:15 AM

No experience on this but I read a lot in the early days about whether or not to buy donor sperm as a back up for ER day. And I do remember reading someone's story where they did half and half but I have been searching for it and can't find it. Sorry I can't help. 

See my 'about me' page for treatment history.

#3 cherry123

cherry123
  • Cyclebase
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:51 AM

Not directly related to your question - but would it co-ordinate the surgery with the retrieval? This is what we did. Dr. Shegeal (a world leader) said that the quality will be much better as testicular sperm does not freeze well. 

#4 Dani88

Dani88
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:01 PM

Not directly related to your question - but would it co-ordinate the surgery with the retrieval? This is what we did. Dr. Shegeal (a world leader) said that the quality will be much better as testicular sperm does not freeze well. 

Dr. Jarvi will be doing the retrieval in August this year and we are waiting for funding which won't happen until next year.  So we will freeze whatever we find.  I am worried about it not freezing well, but Dr. Jarvi seemed to think we should have the sperm frozen and ready ahead of time.

#5 Dani88

Dani88
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:04 PM

No experience on this but I read a lot in the early days about whether or not to buy donor sperm as a back up for ER day. And I do remember reading someone's story where they did half and half but I have been searching for it and can't find it. Sorry I can't help. 

Thanks Schelpp. I just wasn't sure if it was something that has been done or can be done, so this does help.  I have heard of couples who have donor sperm as back-up if they don't find sperm from the male partner, but no one whose ended up using both for IVF.

#6 Highest hopes

Highest hopes
  • Global 100+
  • 595 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:McGill & ARTUS

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

We did TESA which is different than micro-TESE but in our case we were told that freezing does not work well. I asked about it because I wondered if they could use some fresh and then freeze some for future, but they said no.  So I agree with Cherry and am just concerned about why you can't do the sperm retrieval fresh at the time?

Dx: Age (40+) & Endometriosis & Tubal & DNA fragmentation

IUI & IVF & FET = BFN
Pinterest: pinterest.com/aquablueglow

#7 MrsBR

MrsBR
  • Global 100+
  • 569 posts
  • Dx:Vasectomy
  • My Clinic:MFC/OVO

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:13 PM

This was an option for us in the past. Our clinic said we could fertilize 50/50 and see what happens. It's definitely doable.
1 year...6 fresh ivf's...so many failed attempts...we finally got a BFP on Nov 27, 2014. What finally worked: co culture, G - CSF, IVIG, prednisone.Nov 27 Beta 112 Nov 29 Beta 291 Dec 16Saw 2 flickering heartbeats on ultrasound!!!! (from a single blastocyst transfer)Looking like identical twins for us...wowDec 22 control u/s to make sure the babies are growing. Only 1 H/B found.1 twin didn't make it. Just 1 baby for us. Jan 23 NT scan and blood work came back all normal! As per our amazing technician...70% chance it's a girl!Mar 18th 20 week anatomy scan shows a perfectly healthy baby girl!
Madison arrives on July 17 2015 at 37 weeks 2 days! 10 fingers and 10 toes...perfect in every way.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#8 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 589 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:23 PM

I knew I had seen it before: http://ivf.ca/forums...sperm/?p=653426

Check out the signature of the member that posted. It looks like they went this route. Maybe you can contact her?

And here is a link to a different site with a thread specifically on this. Looks like people also tried both routes there. If you're ready emotionally (must be a big choice), I would think financially it makes a lot of sense to have this option so that you make the most of your IVF cycle. 

http://babyandbump.m...zoospermia.html

See my 'about me' page for treatment history.

#9 north

north
  • Global 100+
  • 605 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:57 PM

We did exactly this! Donor egg cycle and fertilized half with DH's sperm and half with DS. We did this for immune reasons since we may run into probs with DH's sperm. We did a DS embryo transfer 1st and have our baby boy! We'll try with an embryo created with DH's sperm next time. It's a great way to hedge your bets!
north

#10 Wishinandhopin

Wishinandhopin
  • 58 posts
  • My Clinic:Rfp

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:55 PM

Have you asked your clinic if they offer this?

We had also read about people doing this, and also felt we would have liked to do this, but the clinic we were planning to do the mTESE said they will not use half DH's sperm and half DS because they want to fertilize as many eggs as possible with DH's sperm to increase the odds of it working (he said they expect 50% not to fertilize with immature sperm). I hope that does not discourage you, I just thought I would share what we were told :)

#11 Dani88

Dani88
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 09:14 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies.  I wrote a short note to both the doctor who will be performing the procedure on my DH and my IVF doctor.  My IVF doctor said that we can divide the eggs between my DH's and donor sperm but that there are several steps we need to take before and recommend we set up an appointment to go over all the details.  The doctor who will be performing the M-TESE said that they have found that the fresh and frozen samples work equally well and that there are some people that do better with fresh but that they just can't predict who they will be before we start.  He did say that sometimes they do a fresh sample, in which case he would suggest donor backup.  He told me that if I want I can contact my IVF clinic to see if they can arrange my cycle to coincide with the M-TESE.  He originally told us that he recommends we do my DH's surgery first to see if we have sperm to work with before having me go through IVF.  This was before we brought up donor sperm.  I kind of want to know if there is sperm from my DH first, because I do not want to go through IVF unless I have to and if I can do donor sperm IUIs instead if they don't find any of my DH's sperm than that may be the route we want to go.  This is all very confusing to try to figure out.  Such big decisions.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: azoospermia, icis, donor sperm