25 replies to this topic

#1 angelwings2017

angelwings2017
  • 51 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:18 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for this great place to share our experiences at VFC!

I'm going to be transferring potentially the week after.

I know dates are flexible pending my results, but I'm trying to plan my trip to Victoria. I live in Vancouver so I could also do a direct return the same day, but I'm finding it hard to plan and hope to get some tips from you lovely ladies/folks :)

1. Did you mostly just play to be there for a long period of time eg. a week or 1.5 weeks - or did some of you just do day trips

2. Is it feasible at all to take PUBLIC TRANSPORT ie buses from the Victoria Ferry Terminal to the VFC clinic?

3. Are there any accomodation options you would recommend that are convenient/cancellable?

Thanks for all and any tips!

#2 Marby

Marby
  • Global 100+
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 03:35 AM

I can't help with much, since I live in Victoria - but yes, you can bus from Swartz Bay to the clinic.  The 70/72 (one is an express, both go the same major places) goes to the Royal Oak Exchange, and then the 6 goes either to Quadra st just at the intersection for Chatterton Way (which is the street the clinic is on) or up Chatterton Way, depending on which you catch - the sign on the front of the bus will tell you if it's via Chatterton Way or not, and I think it's every other bus.  It might actually go three different routes, but they all end up by the clinic.  The clinic is in the complex closest to Quadra st, only takes a couple minutes to walk to and you can see it from the road.  The bus fares just changed, so now you buy a day pass for $5 on the bus.  The 70/72 are timed to the ferries, and the 6 runs very frequently.  You can tell the driver you need to get off at Quadra/Chatterton and they'll help you out.  Google will tell you the 31 is also an option, but don't do that - it drops you off on the wrong side of the highway plus there's construction right there so it's a mess.

• angelwings2017 likes this

Me: 32 33 Wife: 28 29

The problem - two girls can't make a baby without some help

But also - Fibroids, "polycystic like" ovaries, unpredictable ovulation, and a possible uterine septum 

11/14 - IUI #1 - BFN

12/14 - no cycle as clinic closed over holiday

1/15 - cancelled, no dominant follicles - looks like I have an ovulation problem

2/15 - IUI #2 - 50mg Clomid - BFN

3/15 - 100mg Clomid - cancelled, missed my ovulation

4/15 - IUI #3 - 100mg Clomid - BFN

5/15 - Will need to start injectables as not responding well to Clomid, decide to switch to IVF, last three vials of donor sperm shipped from Toronto

6/15 - Stimming for ER

7/15 - 20 eggs retrieved, 19 fertilized, 15 embryos at day 3, 8 frozen at day 5

8/15 - MRI scheduled - no septum! No surgery.  Just a whopper of a fibroid, 9.5cmx8.5cm

9/15/15 - FET #1 one day 5 hatching blast

9/28/15 - Beta of 9 - chemical pregnancy

10/27/15 - FET #2 one day 5 hatching (maybe?) blast

11/09/15 - Beta of 18 - not looking good for 13dp5dt

11/13/15 - Beta 3 - second chemical pregnancy

3/04/16 - FET #3 one perfect grade 20 hatching day 5 blast

3/14/16 - Beta 130

3/1616 - Beta 320

3/18/16 - Beta 646

4/05/16 - Ultrasound 7w2d heartbeat of 136

4/26/16 - Ultrasound 10w2d heartbeat of 178, EDD Nov. 21

#3 ENF

ENF
  • 1000+
  • 1877 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Centre

Posted 04 May 2016 - 01:01 PM

I can't help with much, since I live in Victoria - but yes, you can bus from Swartz Bay to the clinic.  The 70/72 (one is an express, both go the same major places) goes to the Royal Oak Exchange, and then the 6 goes either to Quadra st just at the intersection for Chatterton Way (which is the street the clinic is on) or up Chatterton Way, depending on which you catch - the sign on the front of the bus will tell you if it's via Chatterton Way or not, and I think it's every other bus.  It might actually go three different routes, but they all end up by the clinic.  The clinic is in the complex closest to Quadra st, only takes a couple minutes to walk to and you can see it from the road.  The bus fares just changed, so now you buy a day pass for $5 on the bus.  The 70/72 are timed to the ferries, and the 6 runs very frequently.  You can tell the driver you need to get off at Quadra/Chatterton and they'll help you out.  Google will tell you the 31 is also an option, but don't do that - it drops you off on the wrong side of the highway plus there's construction right there so it's a mess.

I was just going to post the very same thing as Marby! biggrin.png  I am also local. I live only a few minutes from the clinic. Public transportation is really easy and it won't take you too long either. If you enter your starting point (Swartz Bay Terminal) and destination (the clinic) into Google Maps and then click the bus icon it'll give you detailed instructions and times based on when your ferry docks. Like Marby said you can catch either the 70 or 72 and get off at Royal Oak Exchange and then walk a few feet and catch the 6. You'll get off at Quadra and Chatterton and the clinic is right there!

Me - 37   DH - 45 (Paraplegic)   

FET planned for spring 2017

#4 Natalia73

Natalia73
  • Cyclebase
  • 379 posts
  • My Clinic:VFC, Genesis (past)

Posted 04 May 2016 - 01:50 PM

I was coming from Vancouver for each appointment in VFC. I tried bus once but found it is too much work. It is much more convinient to travel by car for each appointment and go back on the same day. Only for transfers we went a day earlier just to avoid missing the appointments due stormy weather or ferry running behind
4 IVFs, multiple FETs, 2 Clinics (Genesis and VFC), over 60 eggs collected, 2 chemicals, 1 blighted ovum, 1 miscarriage at 8 weeks, 1 miscarrage at 12w5d with twins, severe adenomyosis ... First IVF at 35... Took two years break at 40 after devastating twins loss. Finally at 43 our miracle son Gabriel Marcus is born.. Long painful road...

#5 Natalia73

Natalia73
  • Cyclebase
  • 379 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 01:53 PM

Usually it was 4-5 travels per cycle. 2-3 monitoring, 2 retriaval and transfer. Cycling in Victoria is much cheaper if you sign the Premier Plan. Even with all these travel expenses, it would be cheaper than any clinic in Vancouver
4 IVFs, multiple FETs, 2 Clinics (Genesis and VFC), over 60 eggs collected, 2 chemicals, 1 blighted ovum, 1 miscarriage at 8 weeks, 1 miscarrage at 12w5d with twins, severe adenomyosis ... First IVF at 35... Took two years break at 40 after devastating twins loss. Finally at 43 our miracle son Gabriel Marcus is born.. Long painful road...

#6 EverHopefull!

EverHopefull!
  • 1000+
  • 1600 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Genesis/VFC

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:37 PM

I did day trips and used Harbour Air.  They aren't cheap, but they're fast and easy.  The ferry is so slow and I ended up spending most of my day in transit (which I hate), and it was stressful for me to have to deal with making all the transfers.  One flight, one bus, and bam - I was there with no stress.   For me it's all about mitigating stress.  It would be a comparable cost to if you were going to drive on to the ferry.  And it saved me the cost of a hotel several times, so even though it seems like a higher cost, it isn't always. 

When I couldn't do a day trip my favourite place to stay is the Bedford Regency.  It's right downtown on Government Street behind the Bay Centre Mall.  It's right in the middle of the action of downtown but it's not noisy.  It's pretty far from VFC but the bus system is good, and if you're there for a few days and want to hang out downtown it's perfect.  It's old and the rooms are weird shapes, but it's inexpensive and clean and there's lots to do downtown. 

If you want something closer to VFC my pick is the Howard Johnson on Elk Lake Drive.  It's a little more expensive but it's super close, a 5 min drive or a 15 minute bus ride to VFC.  It's newer and fancier, but if you're staying for a few days and want to sight see downtown it's quite a trek to get there, and there's not really much to sight see near the HoJo.  They were also really good about letting me check in and out at weird times as long as I let them know when I booked that I would be there early or late.  And, we have to do a 1 hour check in on the days that DH is giving his sperm sample (because he's a germ-a-phobe and can't do it at the clinic) and even though I'm sure they think I'm a prostitute they never blink an eye! 

TTC since December 2004

One successful IVF

Many, many unsuccessful IF treatments

Finally a successful DE cycle!  babyEver is due July 1st.

#7 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:38 PM

HoJo is my home away from home... 20-25 min walk to VFC, I totally love the walk for de-stressing each day (but also easy bus if you're more inclined).  They have a medical rate, and also do discounts for weekly.  Also have an outdoor pool which is great in summer.  There are plenty of restaurants and shops and 2 large grocery stores within 10-15min walking distance.  Also Elk & Beaver Lake park, which is awesome to go for a walk on a nice day.  A good trek from downtown as EverHopefull said, but bus system is easy (and bus drivers I've found super helpful compared to other cities) -- there are stops right at the hotel and the Royal Oak exchange is 5 min walk (where you'd get off the bus from the ferry if you chose that route).  And yes they are super accommodating, and easy to cancel 24-48 hrs -- I usually book a really wide span of days in advance, and then cancel (narrow down to what I actually need) closer to travel time.

Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.

#8 Natalia73

Natalia73
  • Cyclebase
  • 379 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:44 PM

Another thing. If you look at BC ferry website, they have a link to BC Ferry vacation, where you can get 1 or 2 nights stay plus ferry with car and 1 or 2 people on board, plus hotel parking at slightly discounted price. We usually got Parkside Hotel-ferry deal and just loved it.

#9 angelwings2017

angelwings2017
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:09 PM

Wow! Thank you to you ALL.

I'm so touched and overwhelmed at how helpful you are. It gives me a lot to think about and different variables I can consider. I just had it in my mind to save money I would ferry it across and bus it.

I did ring VFC and understand they cannot tell me exactly how long I have to stay but I have 2 days ahead where I go there for monitoring.

So I was also procrastinating on how to plan.

natti - you mention cost and the Premier Plan is more inexpensive. I tried one cycle in Vancouver already and I think this will be my last try (as the costs are so high) so I wanted to try it with Dr H even though it is more work in terms of travel.

I'm wondering how many people do the CCS/PCG process - does that change the cost elements?

Thank you again Ladies. Very helpful and I'm grateful.

#10 Natalia73

Natalia73
  • Cyclebase
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:38 PM

I was Genesis patient before they split to Olive, and honestly, if i knew more about VFC that time, i would have no hesitation and switch to VFC. Paying 7700 for IVF with ICSI in Olive, and 6500 in Vfc, is already a win towards VFC. We signed a premier Plan, so our second round with VFC was only 4500. We did 2 rounds with Genesis and 2 rounds with VFC. My ER with Genesis was Dr. Yuzpe, and I was not impressed, more over i was extremely frustrated with his services... Dr. Hudson is a Gem!
  • EverHopefull! likes this

#11 Natalia73

Natalia73
  • Cyclebase
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:51 PM

Angel, jst start preparing the ground with VFC. For new patients, it takes time to get in. You will need to transfer also your file from Olive to VFC. We also transfered 1 embryo from Genesis to VFC nursery. Did it myself to avoid high cost. Not a hard consept

#12 Natalia73

Natalia73
  • Cyclebase
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:55 PM

I wouldnt be scared of trvelling. For me ferry was always fun. I grabed my laptop and always worked during my trips. Traveling by car is much more convinient. I had to drive from Coquitlam to Tsawassen, but it was always fun. Consider it as mini vacation, mini getaway. Usually i drove by myself. Took my DH only for retrival and transfer. Love love love VFC like everybody else....

#13 Natalia73

Natalia73
  • Cyclebase
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:57 PM

Oh btw... Dont know how it works now.... But there was a bus right on the ferry. The driver sells tickets on the ferry, they usually annonce where and you load on the bus on the ferry

#14 EverHopefull!

EverHopefull!
  • 1000+
  • 1600 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Genesis/VFC

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:36 PM

Sign up for the premier plan anyway.  It's already $500 cheaper than doing just 1 IVF and you aren't obligated to do any future cycles.  But if you change you mind later you can't go backwards.  And I don't know how you feel about donor eggs, but VFC said they'd let me use one of my premier cycle plan cycles for a donor cycle.  So I could have done a donor cycle, including the ER, ICSI and transfer for only $4000 (plus drugs).

The big thing is that you can sign up for the premier plan and not be obligated to do any future cycles, so it's worth it.

• ENF likes this

TTC since December 2004

One successful IVF

Many, many unsuccessful IF treatments

Finally a successful DE cycle!  babyEver is due July 1st.

#15 angelwings2017

angelwings2017
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:44 PM

I was just going to post the very same thing as Marby! biggrin.png  I am also local. I live only a few minutes from the clinic. Public transportation is really easy and it won't take you too long either. If you enter your starting point (Swartz Bay Terminal) and destination (the clinic) into Google Maps and then click the bus icon it'll give you detailed instructions and times based on when your ferry docks. Like Marby said you can catch either the 70 or 72 and get off at Royal Oak Exchange and then walk a few feet and catch the 6. You'll get off at Quadra and Chatterton and the clinic is right there!

I just put this in Google and it shows an hour! I didn't realize it was so far.

#16 Natalia73

Natalia73
  • Cyclebase
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:46 PM

35-40 mins by car

#17 angelwings2017

angelwings2017
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:47 PM

I wouldnt be scared of trvelling. For me ferry was always fun. I grabed my laptop and always worked during my trips. Traveling by car is much more convinient. I had to drive from Coquitlam to Tsawassen, but it was always fun. Consider it as mini vacation, mini getaway. Usually i drove by myself. Took my DH only for retrival and transfer. Love love love VFC like everybody else....

that's a good attitude - I will adopt that, I'm sure it will help Emoticons09780.gif

• Natalia73 likes this

#18 angelwings2017

angelwings2017
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:52 PM

Sign up for the premier plan anyway.  It's already $500 cheaper than doing just 1 IVF and you aren't obligated to do any future cycles.  But if you change you mind later you can't go backwards.  And I don't know how you feel about donor eggs, but VFC said they'd let me use one of my premier cycle plan cycles for a donor cycle.  So I could have done a donor cycle, including the ER, ICSI and transfer for only $4000 (plus drugs).

The big thing is that you can sign up for the premier plan and not be obligated to do any future cycles, so it's worth it.

Thanks EverHopeful!

Yes I have selected this. And I didn't realize they will do that: that's very nice of them.

I was initially really stressed about money and thinking I will just try this one more time (with Dr H at least) but I also feel better knowing I think that Dr H understands it's not easy.

#19 angelwings2017

angelwings2017
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:53 PM

35-40 mins by car

Thanks natti!

That's by bus! I calculated if I use a car, the day trip will cost 52+52 (car) + 17+17 (passenger)

I know I'm being cheap!

#20 angelwings2017

angelwings2017
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:53 PM

Oh btw... Dont know how it works now.... But there was a bus right on the ferry. The driver sells tickets on the ferry, they usually annonce where and you load on the bus on the ferry

Ohh...I'll ring BC Ferries about this!

#21 Natalia73

Natalia73
  • Cyclebase
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:59 PM

If you cycle fall time, ferry might have discounts back again. You can always leave your DH at home and travel by yourself :)

#22 angelwings2017

angelwings2017
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:59 PM

I did day trips and used Harbour Air.  They aren't cheap, but they're fast and easy.  The ferry is so slow and I ended up spending most of my day in transit (which I hate), and it was stressful for me to have to deal with making all the transfers.  One flight, one bus, and bam - I was there with no stress.   For me it's all about mitigating stress.  It would be a comparable cost to if you were going to drive on to the ferry.  And it saved me the cost of a hotel several times, so even though it seems like a higher cost, it isn't always. 

I see what you mean EverHopeful.

It depends on the day so there are some days where it can be $135, others $210. I guess on cheaper days is closer  to the car scenario

#23 angelwings2017

angelwings2017
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:00 PM

If you cycle fall time, ferry might have discounts back again. You can always leave your DH at home and travel by yourself smile.png

Yeah I'll definitely leave him at home ch4.jpg 

#24 angelwings2017

angelwings2017
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:01 PM

I found it, called Wilsons Transportation. http://bcfconnector.com/

#25 Natalia73

Natalia73
  • Cyclebase
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:17 PM

I found it, called Wilsons Transportation. http://bcfconnector.com/

Here we go.... You can park your car close to Terminal in Tsawassen. there is a small shuttle bus that will bring you to terminal from parking. But i am not sure how much it will allow you to save. I would still take a car all way there. 15-25 cad will not make a big difference but conviniency is the key