• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Dani88

Dani88
  • 97 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Trio

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:41 PM

My DH will be doing Micro-TESE procedure in August and if we find sperm we are going to freeze it to use for IVF with ICSI.  Right now I am stuck waiting and was hoping to hear stories from others who've had success.  Please share as much you'd like.  Curious to hear what the diagnosis was (non-obstructive or obstructive), if you were given chances of success for the Micro-TESE procedure, how many sperm were found, if you froze the sperm or used it fresh, how many IVF attempts it took, how many embryos were transferred, how old you were at the time and how many children you ended up having.

My husband is over-weight with a BMI of over 50 and I just read an article based on a study that found "Overweight men have lower clinical pregnancy rate after micro-TESE and ICSI compared to men with normal BMI. Men with BMI > 43 did not contribute to any pregnancies, despite successful sperm retrieval."

http://fertstertforu...icrodissection/

It's got me a little freaked out as we were told if sperm was found it would probably only be enough for one round of IVF and then our hopes of having biological children will be gone.  It's really hard being hopeful when the odds aren't in our favour.

Me: 28, DH: 27 - TTC since Oct. 2014 - DH diagnosed with azoospermia on Aug. 11/15 - Micro TESE Aug. 23/16
DIUI#1 - Oct. 4/16 - BFN / DIUI#2 - Oct. 31/16 - BFP - MMC at 9 wks - D&C Dec. 23/16 / DIUI#3 - Mar. 13/17 - BFN
DIUI#4 - Apr. 10/17 - BFN 
d5YBm5.pngJH5wm5.pngB5jIm5.png

#2 Jeni26

Jeni26
  • 3 posts
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:51 AM

Hi there,
My DH and I are in a very similar position. NO azoospermia with zero explanation. Our clinic has advised that we have a 50/50 shot of finding sperm through micro-tese. Our clinic has not been "pushy" in any way and has made us feel quite comfortable taking our time and not rushing into anything. I am 33 and DH is 34. We were given the option of micro- TESE at same time of IVF with ICSI, or do surgery first and risk the freezing process is unsuccessful. If we proceed with the process we will do surgery first prior to beginning any IVF treatments.

I feel my husband is coping better than I would have expected. Don't get me wrong we have certainly had our "bad days" and it took him 3 mos to talk about with his family. At this point, 16 mos since learning about Azoospermia, he is coping well and able to talk about it openly with friends and family.

We told our clinic last week that we are proceeding with the surgery, however, we have been talking about skipping everything and moving forward with a donor. We worry about the unknowns of IVF and my DH is concerned that he may "pass this on" to any potential children through his genetics. We are concerned about the entire process and the toll it takes emotionally, physically and financially, while at the end of it all there is a good chance we will be childless.
I know response is not the success story you were looking for, but thought maybe it would be good to connect as we are in the same place for the same reasons.
  • Dani88 likes this

#3 Dani88

Dani88
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:43 AM

Hi there,
My DH and I are in a very similar position. NO azoospermia with zero explanation. Our clinic has advised that we have a 50/50 shot of finding sperm through micro-tese. Our clinic has not been "pushy" in any way and has made us feel quite comfortable taking our time and not rushing into anything. I am 33 and DH is 34. We were given the option of micro- TESE at same time of IVF with ICSI, or do surgery first and risk the freezing process is unsuccessful. If we proceed with the process we will do surgery first prior to beginning any IVF treatments.

I feel my husband is coping better than I would have expected. Don't get me wrong we have certainly had our "bad days" and it took him 3 mos to talk about with his family. At this point, 16 mos since learning about Azoospermia, he is coping well and able to talk about it openly with friends and family.

We told our clinic last week that we are proceeding with the surgery, however, we have been talking about skipping everything and moving forward with a donor. We worry about the unknowns of IVF and my DH is concerned that he may "pass this on" to any potential children through his genetics. We are concerned about the entire process and the toll it takes emotionally, physically and financially, while at the end of it all there is a good chance we will be childless.
I know response is not the success story you were looking for, but thought maybe it would be good to connect as we are in the same place for the same reasons.

Thanks for sharing.  Sometimes I feel like we must be the only one going through this and it's comforting knowing were not.  My DH has been very supportive lately... we take turns.  He was devastated when we first found out and obviously still is, but he reassures me that I will be mom one way or another.  Have you decided which route you will go if you don't end up having a biological child.  From what little research I've done donor sperm seems like the most affordable option.

Me: 28, DH: 27 - TTC since Oct. 2014 - DH diagnosed with azoospermia on Aug. 11/15 - Micro TESE Aug. 23/16
DIUI#1 - Oct. 4/16 - BFN / DIUI#2 - Oct. 31/16 - BFP - MMC at 9 wks - D&C Dec. 23/16 / DIUI#3 - Mar. 13/17 - BFN

#4 Jeni26

Jeni26
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:06 AM

At this point we are thinking donor... Although we no very little about this process. If we choose to not follow through with IVF it is because we are not prepared for the years of potential ups and downs of IVF. We ask each other all the time "really how important is the genetic link"... My husband comes from a blended family and he feels his step mom/sister are as much family as his biological. I guess my worst fear is going through with IVF and years later still being here. Part of me just wants to move forward with life playing the cards we have been dealt. I am not opposed to adoption, but my DH is more reluctant. I can see us adopting in the future I think donor is our first option at this point. I also worry about my age, perhaps if I was a little younger I would be more likely to undergo the process of IVF. I have read many success stories on this board, but some have been 6 years in the making. The good thing about science today is that we have options, no choice is wrong, I think you just need to decide which is most right for you!

#5 Dani88

Dani88
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:53 AM

At this point we are thinking donor... Although we no very little about this process. If we choose to not follow through with IVF it is because we are not prepared for the years of potential ups and downs of IVF. We ask each other all the time "really how important is the genetic link"... My husband comes from a blended family and he feels his step mom/sister are as much family as his biological. I guess my worst fear is going through with IVF and years later still being here. Part of me just wants to move forward with life playing the cards we have been dealt. I am not opposed to adoption, but my DH is more reluctant. I can see us adopting in the future I think donor is our first option at this point. I also worry about my age, perhaps if I was a little younger I would be more likely to undergo the process of IVF. I have read many success stories on this board, but some have been 6 years in the making. The good thing about science today is that we have options, no choice is wrong, I think you just need to decide which is most right for you!

Hi Jeni,

I am starting to lean towards not doing IVF (I'm terrified) if I can avoid it and using donor sperm and doing IUI... my husband would be okay with this and tells me if I am not prepared to do IVF to let him know sooner rather than later as there is no point in him doing the procedure.  This is really bothering me and I wish I knew which path to go down.  Money aside, I don't want to go through both the Micro-TESE and IVF and then be heart broken and then go the donor route... when we can avoid the heartbreak and just skip to the donor IUI route... but then my worry is I will never know what could have been.  It's a really hard decision and I don't think people who aren't in our shoes can begin to understand.   I really helps talking to you about it.  It's refreshing to get someone else's thoughts on the matter who is actually going through the same thing simultaneously.  How are things going for you?  Are you any closer to making a decision?

#6 Jeni26

Jeni26
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:38 AM

Hi Dani, we still haven't made any decisions but also strongly leaning toward donor with IUI. Like you, I worry about "always wondering what could have happened". The only deterrent for this is the thought of going through everything and in the end finding ourselves in the same position. My next steps will likely be to schedule an apt at our clinic and review the steps/process for IUI. I really do not know much about it to be honest. I totally understand the feelings of isolation, this issue is not exactly common, it is neat that we have been able to connect at the same stage! We have the information about how to access donors in Canada, but haven't looked at the website yet... Taking our time and trying to not rush anything. I would be lying if I said that I still don't get weird feeling in my stomach when I think about donor, but looking at the big picture it just makes sense...

#7 Brhs

Brhs
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:21 PM

Hello ladies,

Newbie here - feeling comfort knowing my husband and I aren't alone.

My husband was diagnosed with non-obstructive azoospermia almost two years ago. We know that it is a chromosomal issue, specifically a microdeletion of azf-c. With this diagnosis, the dr has given us a 50% chance of finding sperm with the microTESE. - I've actually read reports increasing those odds to 75%, but I think the results may vary depending on the clinic. Furthermore, we know that the contributing factor is hereditary. We will be starting my first IVF cycle combined with the microTESE at the end of the summer. Right now, we have put the idea of a sperm donor on the back burner. If no sperm is found in the procedure we will freeze my eggs until we decide what the next phase will be. We are trying to put all of our energy into a successful microTESE and I especially found the idea of a sperm donor very overwhelming, especially after I started researching it.

I relate to everything you ladies have said here. I feel alone in this process, as my husband and I have decided to keep our journey private, for the most part. Just our parents and my one very best friend knows. Not even my brother knows, and he just had a baby last week. It's been very challenging dealing with all the emotions.

I hope this note finds you all in good spirits, or at least gives you some comfort knowing there is someone else out there on the same journey.
  • Highest hopes likes this

#8 Highest hopes

Highest hopes
  • Global 100+
  • 595 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:McGill & ARTUS

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:57 PM

Welcome Brhs :)

Can I ask how your husband got that diagnosis? I.e. What kind of symptoms and what kind of tests?

My partner had bad DNA fragmentation - is that similar?

Thank you.
Dx: Age (40+) & Endometriosis & Tubal & DNA fragmentation

IUI & IVF & FET = BFN
Pinterest: pinterest.com/aquablueglow

#9 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 1,826 posts
  • Interests:running, cooking, gardening, travelling
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:57 AM

Welcome Brhs smile.png

Can I ask how your husband got that diagnosis? I.e. What kind of symptoms and what kind of tests?

My partner had bad DNA fragmentation - is that similar?

Thank you.

What have you guys done to improve DNA fragmentation? Have you had any success?

Two IVFs and no chromosomally normal blasts to transfer...we are done with my eggs.

#10 Brhs

Brhs
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:58 AM

Hello Highest hopes,

My husbands diagnosis came from his SA and blood work. He has had multiple SA and all have come back with zero sperm.
All of his other blood work came back normal, for the most part - from what I can remember his testosterone was slightly low but nothing alarming. No other symptoms that I am aware of and nothing else our urologist mentioned.

I haven't heard of Dna fragmentation before - is it something that can be fixed?

#11 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 1,826 posts
  • Interests:running, cooking, gardening, travelling
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:33 AM

There is a possibility that it can be improved. Our doctor has my DH on FertilPro with L-cartinene for at least 6 weeks before his repeat test. http://www.yadtech.c...en-l-carnitine/

Here is a good article on what DNA fragmentation is:
http://www.sciencedi...110569013000137

Two IVFs and no chromosomally normal blasts to transfer...we are done with my eggs.

#12 cherry123

cherry123
  • Cyclebase
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:45 AM

HI everyone, I was in your situation a few years ago and can hopefully provide some insight. My DH was diagnosed with klinefelters, so non-obstructive. After the shock, we decided to research our options. Ironically, my DH was okay using a donor, but I wanted him to have the surgery. I didn't want him to always wonder "what if". We went ahead with the surgery - micro TESE at cornell. We were given a 50 - 75% chance, but no sperm was found so we used donor. We were doing a fresh cycle so we had to have a donor back up just in case. Given my age (37 at the time), I didn't want to waste time with IUI. We ended up being successful after our third IVF with donor and now have an amazing child who everyone says looks and acts like my DH. They are very close. To be honest, I still think he has some insecurities inside of him not being biologically his but I don't regret it at all.  It is a very personal decision and looking for a donor could be very overwhelming and weird (kinda felt like online dating) but once we made our decision I have no regrets. There are also issues about whether or not to tell the child when they are older. 

one thing I would recommend is doing a fresh cycle. From what we were told testicular sperm does not freeze very well. Also, I know IVF may seem daunting, but it really is not that bad and very manageable. Good luck with whatever path you chose, at the end of the day , what matters is that you have a healthy child. Once you do, how the child came to be will really be an after thought. 

\

• Dani88 likes this

#13 Dani88

Dani88
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 04:10 PM

HI everyone, I was in your situation a few years ago and can hopefully provide some insight. My DH was diagnosed with klinefelters, so non-obstructive. After the shock, we decided to research our options. Ironically, my DH was okay using a donor, but I wanted him to have the surgery. I didn't want him to always wonder "what if". We went ahead with the surgery - micro TESE at cornell. We were given a 50 - 75% chance, but no sperm was found so we used donor. We were doing a fresh cycle so we had to have a donor back up just in case. Given my age (37 at the time), I didn't want to waste time with IUI. We ended up being successful after our third IVF with donor and now have an amazing child who everyone says looks and acts like my DH. They are very close. To be honest, I still think he has some insecurities inside of him not being biologically his but I don't regret it at all.  It is a very personal decision and looking for a donor could be very overwhelming and weird (kinda felt like online dating) but once we made our decision I have no regrets. There are also issues about whether or not to tell the child when they are older. 

one thing I would recommend is doing a fresh cycle. From what we were told testicular sperm does not freeze very well. Also, I know IVF may seem daunting, but it really is not that bad and very manageable. Good luck with whatever path you chose, at the end of the day , what matters is that you have a healthy child. Once you do, how the child came to be will really be an after thought. 

\

Thank you for contribution to this thread.  It will really helps to know others who have been in our shoes have made it out to the other side.  I am glad to hear you and your DH are parents, after all, that is the end goal.  We have about a month and half left to go before the Micro-TESE procedure and then we will have a better idea as to which way we will go next in this journey to parenthood.

That's crazy that you had to do three IVFs even with donor sperm.  We wouldn't be able to afford that right now.  I hope that if we go the donor route we can achieve a pregnancy through IUI.  I know you said IVF isn't that bad, but I am terrified and it's so expensive.  Anyways, thanks again for your story.

#14 MsRipple

MsRipple
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:23 PM

I have no success story for you, but I am writing as someone in the same boat at the same time!  My husband has NOA and is doing mtese in August.  If successful we will freeze and do a fresh IVF cycle.  I was originally disappointed we were not doing a coordinated cycle, but I am feeling good about the decision after discussion with our RE, our urologist, my husband and reading several articles on the subject (can't help myself).  

Also,but I did the egg freeze of IVF (the most invasive part, everything but embryo transfer) a few years ago electively and it was not too bad.  Uncomfortable and expensive, but nothing that was too terrifying.

Can your husband hold off on mtese 6 months or so and try to lose some weight solely for the purpose of raising chances?  

#15 Dani88

Dani88
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:37 PM

I have no success story for you, but I am writing as someone in the same boat at the same time!  My husband has NOA and is doing mtese in August.  If successful we will freeze and do a fresh IVF cycle.  I was originally disappointed we were not doing a coordinated cycle, but I am feeling good about the decision after discussion with our RE, our urologist, my husband and reading several articles on the subject (can't help myself).  

Also,but I did the egg freeze of IVF (the most invasive part, everything but embryo transfer) a few years ago electively and it was not too bad.  Uncomfortable and expensive, but nothing that was too terrifying.

Can your husband hold off on mtese 6 months or so and try to lose some weight solely for the purpose of raising chances?  

What type of articles and research did you find?  I am just like you with trying to look everything up.  It's so hard when this one thing means more than anything to me and my husband but to the doctor it's just a small detail in his day to day work.  We've invested so much in this and really want it to work so we want to do it the best way possible.  I was told by Dr. Jarvi that it didn't really make much of a difference whether they use fresh or frozen.  I'd like to hear some of the stuff you were told on the matter as I have the same concerns you did.

My husband wants to get it over with.  It's something he just needs to know one way or the other and it's looming over us like a dark cloud.  We've already been waiting for the August date for a few months and he's dropped some weight.  I just hope if we get sperm that it gets us a baby.  Was hoping for more stories from others who have already been through all of this, but it's also nice to have someone to talk to who is going through it at the same time.  Thanks for responding.

#16 MsRipple

MsRipple
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:35 PM

Dani, I totally get the getting it over with, I feel the same way.   My husband was prescribed clomid - he had low testosterone and I believe it was prescribed to raise it without impacting fertility.  

You may have already found this, but the Cornell site was very informative:  https://www.cornellu...azoospermia/TheUrologist there pioneered the mtese surgery.

PubMed also has some good articles available for free if you go there and search for non obstructive azoospermia: http://www.ncbi.nlm....ive azoospermia

Here are some articles I found of interest:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25784486

This one concerns clomid: http://onlinelibrary...B53F9E24.f01t02

Also if you are looking for people that have been through it looks like there is a long azoo thread on this board.  Plus there is a really large although not so currently active one on momtastic: http://babyandbump.m...zoospermia.html

• Dani88 likes this

#17 MsRipple

MsRipple
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:36 PM

Edited to say I see that you saw the long azoo thread here ;)

#18 Dani88

Dani88
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:23 PM

Dani, I totally get the getting it over with, I feel the same way.   My husband was prescribed clomid - he had low testosterone and I believe it was prescribed to raise it without impacting fertility.  

You may have already found this, but the Cornell site was very informative:  https://www.cornellu...azoospermia/TheUrologist there pioneered the mtese surgery.

PubMed also has some good articles available for free if you go there and search for non obstructive azoospermia: http://www.ncbi.nlm....ive azoospermia

Here are some articles I found of interest:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25784486

This one concerns clomid: http://onlinelibrary...B53F9E24.f01t02

Also if you are looking for people that have been through it looks like there is a long azoo thread on this board.  Plus there is a really large although not so currently active one on momtastic: http://babyandbump.m...zoospermia.html

Thanks!!

#19 CityHunter

CityHunter
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:32 AM

Hello,

If someone is still interested, we can also say that it was worth it in the end.

I have zero sperm and testicles are quite small, so doctor only gave us a small chance to find something. We already were thinking about getting a donor, but we decided that at least it is worth a try, before always wondering for the rest of our lives, what if we would have tried it.

When I had my TESE and the doctor said he found some sperm (although not much), it was certainly one of the happiest days in our lives. We didn't know that the way is still long.

We tried afterwards 6 FETs (blasts), all without success, before deciding to switch from a medicated transfer to an unmedicated transfer. And we also decided to use all available extras (assisted hatching...) and my wife finally got pregnant. 

I can now happily say that our daughter was born completely healthy last month and we couldn't be happier. We invested a lot of money until now, but we do not regret anything.

By the way, we also found out that the sperm grading seems to really not matter for the ICSI. For the last FET, which was finally successful, we needed to use a TESE probe, which they graded the worst, since the sperm, was not moving a lot and also shape was not perfect.

Hope the story help some of you to stay strong and not give up easily.

• Hope15 and HopefulMum like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Azoospermia, Micro-TESE, IVF-ICSI, Success Stories