Ultrasounds in Calgary

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 WinterWhite

WinterWhite
  • 9 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:39 PM

Are there any Calgary ladies here doing IVF abroad? I'm having treatment in Greece and have had issues with my lining. Because of this I will need ultrasound with very little notice. I've had issues getting ultrasound appointments before and was wondering if anyone out there knows what to do to get ultrasound appointments fairly quickly. Is there a private ultrasound clinic I can go to?

Thanks in advance for you advice.
TTC since 2008

#2 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1,174 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:08 PM

There are those private 3-D imaging places, but I'm not sure if they'd do a lining check, but worth a try asking. The women's health clinics that provide abortions also have ultrasounds, and might be worth contacting to see if they'd do a lining check.  

Other possibilities -- go to Calgary Fertility as the remote monitoring clinic or fly somewhere like Vancouver or Victoria (VFC) -- bringing them on board as the monitoring clinic.  Some clinics will get you in much faster then others.  Most drastic solution is to fly to an American clinic that can get you in fast that will do remote monitoring & lining checks. 

Good luck!!! 

#3 WinterWhite

WinterWhite
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:13 PM

Thanks, Tess.
TTC since 2008

#4 jenpen

jenpen
  • Cyclebase
  • 143 posts
  • My Clinic:Calgary RFP/Denver CCRM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:34 PM

I'll be in the same boat for my FET in Denver as RFP in Calgary no longer offers satellite monitoring. Apparently the Edmonton clinic does though.....I haven't looked into private clinics yet - could be an option.

Me: 38 DH: 33

TTC since 6/2010

Ovarian Cyst and Polyp removed 6/2011

IUI & Clomid#1 cycle 8/3/11 BFN

IUI & Clomid#2 cycle 8/31/11 BFN

IUI & Clomid#3 cycle 9/26 BFP, miscarriage 11/12/11

Clomid 1/15/12 BFP, early ectopic resolved itself

IUI & Clomid#4 cycle 5/23/12 BFN

IVF#1 Signed up for IVF 6/18/12

ER 10/26/12

ET 10/31/12 (1 - 5 day blast, 1 day 6 blast frozen) BFN

Follow up appt 11/14/12 at RFP & signed up for another round of IVF,

Offered IVF 11/20/12 for Dec/Jan cycle (started CoQ10 1200 mg & DHEA 75mg)

IVF#2 - Flare protocol Day 1: 12/21/12, BCP 12/25/12 to 1/13/13 Baseline U/S & Bloodwork 1/11/13 - looks good, Suprefact Injections 1/16/13, Gonal 450 1/18/13, 75 Luveris 1/18/13 Trigger 1/30/13 10AM (retrieved 23 eggs: 14 mature, 7 intermediate, 2 immature)

1/31/13 13 fertilized with ICSI, 3 blasts frozen

2/2/13 2 embryos transferred, HPT +BFP from 2/12-2/15, 2/17 Beta BFN, send for bloodwork 2/19/13 Beta 10 (chemical m/c)

Follow up appt 3/6/13 at RFP, called in day 1 2/22/13 for FET

5/22/13 ET (2 blasts) - other 2 didn't survive thaw, no more frozen embryos

6/4/13 BFP, find out on 6/7/13 that my HCG levels are dropping so m/c at 5 weeks - grrrrr

Follow up appointment 6/13 - back on DHEA & CoQ10

IVF#3 - Antagonist protocol

10/29/13 ER

11/3/13 ET

11/16/13 - BFP another early m/c on 11/22/13

FET 1/17/14 Start Suprefact

2/20/14 Transfer

3/5/14 BFP

3/13/14 beta dropping, m/c again - eff this - going to Denver!

CCRM - Denver - workup 5/16/14

August 2014 IVF at CCRM with CCS testing - Estrace/Cetrotide 10 days after my LH surge in July - another new protocol (antagonist version)

22 eggs retrieved, 12 mature and fertilized with ICSI, only 5 made it to day 6 for CCS testing, 3 NORMAL!

10/13/14 transfer 1 embryo

10/23/14 BFP!!!

12/18/14 NT scan normal and all previous scans normal

EDD: July 1, 2015

Maximus Edward Williams born on July 2, 2015 

Trying for #2: FET June 2016 in Denver - BFP

EDD: March 12, 2017

#5 ndo_inwaiting

ndo_inwaiting
  • Global 100+
  • 172 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Prev RFP now VFC:)

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:58 PM

I believe eclipse fertility centre in Calgary will do it for a fee- when I checked it involved initial consult with physician (about $400) and then the ultrasound fee ($150 I think I recall). They are a small private fertility clinic in Calgary - they do not do ivf- just iui but will do remote monitoring for ivf patients.
Currently 41, DH 46 - severe male factor, advanced maternal age, immune issues, uterine issues with TTC#2

TTC #1- 3 failed fresh cycles age 35-36 (one cancelled) and one successful FET at 37 (DS:)
TTC #2 - 2 fresh cycles at 39 and 40- one miscarriage and one failed (uterine infection after)
-2 failed FETs (both with complication of uterine fluid but went away after progesterone, uterine infection after one) -2 cancelled FETs (one due to uterine inflammation/infection after miscarriage and most recent due to uterine fluid) -3 good quality frozen embryos - one day 3 (at 39) and 2 day 6 blasts (at 40) waiting for FET without complications

"It's so hard to wait around for something that may never be, but harder to let go when it's all you've ever wanted"

#6 ndo_inwaiting

ndo_inwaiting
  • Global 100+
  • 172 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Prev RFP now VFC:)

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:03 PM

On another note... Does it need to be private clinic? Can't your doctor just request an ultrasound for you here?

When I was doing cycle in Victoria, they requested ultrasound for follicle monitoring here in Calgary. I ended up just going to Vic early so did not have this ultrasound but seemed they booked them regularly.
Currently 41, DH 46 - severe male factor, advanced maternal age, immune issues, uterine issues with TTC#2

TTC #1- 3 failed fresh cycles age 35-36 (one cancelled) and one successful FET at 37 (DS:)
TTC #2 - 2 fresh cycles at 39 and 40- one miscarriage and one failed (uterine infection after)
-2 failed FETs (both with complication of uterine fluid but went away after progesterone, uterine infection after one) -2 cancelled FETs (one due to uterine inflammation/infection after miscarriage and most recent due to uterine fluid) -3 good quality frozen embryos - one day 3 (at 39) and 2 day 6 blasts (at 40) waiting for FET without complications

"It's so hard to wait around for something that may never be, but harder to let go when it's all you've ever wanted"

#7 WinterWhite

WinterWhite
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:46 AM

For my past transfers, my doctor has just given me a referral but I had a month lead time on the dates for the ultrasound. I'm doing frozen transfers. However, I've had issues with my lining so now, my doctor wants to do mock cycles which may require back to back ultrasounds at very short notice. I've been in this situation when I did a fresh transfer in the US and I could not get an appointment. I had to fly to my clinic in the US just to get an ultrasound.

Thanks for the information on Eclipse Fertility Centre. I'll contact them.
TTC since 2008

#8 hopefulmommy2

hopefulmommy2
  • 44 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:05 PM

I contacted Eclipse and they are crazy expensive b/c they require an $800 consult with their doctor just to do a baseline ultrasound (plus they charge for the ultrasound on top of it!).

In Edmonton, the MIC Diagnostics at Terra Losa on 170 St. does ultrasounds and satellite monitoring.  It is $165/ultrasound. 

Maybe MIC in Calgary does it too?  If not, you could consider driving up to Edmonton for one.

#9 WinterWhite

WinterWhite
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:56 AM

Thanks, hopefulmommy2. I also contacted Eclipse and yes, they're quite expensive. We don't have MIC in Calgary.

If you only need a lining scan - no follicle counts, RCA diagnostics can do this and it's easy to book ultrasounds with them on short notice.
TTC since 2008

#10 Dee123

Dee123
  • 13 posts
  • My Clinic:Regional fertility clinic

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:38 PM

Did you have success in greece?

Are there any Calgary ladies here doing IVF abroad? I'm having treatment in Greece and have had issues with my lining. Because of this I will need ultrasound with very little notice. I've had issues getting ultrasound appointments before and was wondering if anyone out there knows what to do to get ultrasound appointments fairly quickly. Is there a private ultrasound clinic I can go to?

Thanks in advance for you advice.[/quote]

#11 WinterWhite

WinterWhite
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:02 PM

Hi Dee,

Unfortunately, both my pregnancies ended up in MC. Where in Greece are you going? I love my clinic, Newlife, even if I didn't have success. Have you tried Vaginal Sildenafil? I tried this for my last try and got my lining up to 8.4mm. However, this cycle was a BFN. So far, I've been able to get ultrasounds with EFW - mostly the Airdrie clinic - with short notice. You'll have to pay $70.
TTC since 2008

#12 Dee123

Dee123
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:19 PM

I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you. I had a miscarriage 2.5 years ago but that was a natural pregnancy...

Thanks for responding. I am going insane
researching this stuff. Today I've been contemplating mexico. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you at newlife? How long did you go for?

I've done all the tests with the regional fertility centre here in Calgary but now its been nearly 10 months. Im feeling stressed about asking them to redo the tests (i have an apt with them this Tuesday). Im worried they'll be hesitant if i tell them im considering going abroad. Your thoughts?

#13 WinterWhite

WinterWhite
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:50 PM

I did donor egg so cost was EUR6,000 where we got 5 blastocysts. Succeeding FETs cost EUR1,400. For the fresh transfer, I had to be there for 10 days. For frozen, my shortest stay was 3 days. Google "Newlife Thessaloniki" they have lots of info on their website. They also have a free Skype consultation. I dealt directly with Chrysa (ckarakosta@newlife-ivf.gr) who is the Senior Embryologist and International Patient Coordinator. She grew up in the US and speaks perfect English so the communication is seamless. I suggest you talk to them (they consultation will be with Dr. Dovas and Chrysa) if you are considering going abroad. They're very honest and will not give you false hope.

I didn't have a very good experience at the Regional Fertility Clinic so I didn't go through them for the tests. I just asked my family doctor to give me a referral for the blood tests. Since your tests is around 10 months old, you may want to ask Newlife if they'll still take them.

Keep me posted on your progress.
TTC since 2008

#14 Dee123

Dee123
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:48 PM

Did that include cost of meds? 6000 eu + 1400 eu all in?

#15 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:06 AM

Did that include cost of meds? 6000 eu + 1400 eu all in?

Hey, Dee I'm in Edmonton & also went to New Life.  I got ultrasounds through my GP, who wrote requisitions for me for a pelvic ultrasound at the local ultrasound places.  They do a surprising number of scans for fertility.  I needed to go back to the doctor's office to get the results of the scan and then I faxed the info to Ruth Pellow. (I went through Ruth but e-mailed and spoke with Chrysa.) 

For my last FET with Victoria I had lining issues, so I was worried about lining.  Dr. Dovas did a mock cycle for me before I flew over to make sure my lining was building well.

Let me know if you have any questions.  Good luck!

• Bola75 likes this

#16 WinterWhite

WinterWhite
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:41 AM

Dee - that does not include meds, travel and accommodation costs. If I add all those together it'll be $10,000 for the fresh transfer which is still cheaper than having it done in here. Cost of meds is not much.

Tess - how are you?
TTC since 2008

#17 Dee123

Dee123
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

Thank you. I'm getting conflicted info on medication cost. A clinic in cancun just told me meds are 1500$-2500$ us depending on how much you need but some say meds are not that expensive.

Tess, were you successful with newlife?

#18 Bola75

Bola75
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Eurocare ivf

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

Hi guys, I just did my ivf in North Cyprus. Dr Armagan was amazing. It cost about $6000 Euros. My meds cost about $4000CAD. I did not have a good experience with regional fertility as well. For the person looking for ultrasound appointment. Just keep calling them every hour, that's what I did and I was able to get my day 2, 6 and 8 ultrasound done.

#19 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:20 PM

Thank you. I'm getting conflicted info on medication cost. A clinic in cancun just told me meds are 1500$-2500$ us depending on how much you need but some say meds are not that expensive.

Tess, were you successful with newlife?

so sorry Dee, I missed this message!   

Yes, I was successful w/ newlife - we have a 4 month girl.  We transferred 2 and 1 stuck.  Pregnancy rates are about 65% according to the clinic, although the embryologist told me the numbers for my year were higher.  Ociwoman who posted on this site a few years ago about her experience in Greece, went to Iakentro.   She was also successful, but it took 3 tries, perhaps because of lining issues.  

Before going to Europe, I'd make sure I was willing to do at least 2 transfers in Europe & willing to do the travel at least twice.  The clinic was conscientious about making sure the lining was good, but I was also quite lucky it worked on the first try.   Good luck!!!

#20 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:24 PM

Dee - that does not include meds, travel and accommodation costs. If I add all those together it'll be $10,000 for the fresh transfer which is still cheaper than having it done in here. Cost of meds is not much.

Tess - how are you?

oops -- I'm sorry, I missed this message too!  we're doing well here, and very glad the weather is warming up!  How are you doing?  

#21 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:58 PM

I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you. I had a miscarriage 2.5 years ago but that was a natural pregnancy...

Thanks for responding. I am going insane
researching this stuff. Today I've been contemplating mexico. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you at newlife? How long did you go for?

I've done all the tests with the regional fertility centre here in Calgary but now its been nearly 10 months. Im feeling stressed about asking them to redo the tests (i have an apt with them this Tuesday). Im worried they'll be hesitant if i tell them im considering going abroad. Your thoughts?

Dee - For us it 

We decided to do a freeze-all cycle to make it easier for me to travel over with work.  My DH flew over on a 3-day weekend (took 1 day off work). He left his sample, bought my medicines, and flew back.  We could have got medicines through an on-line service, but since he was going to be over there, this was easy for us.  The cycle happened and we got 4 good looking blasts.  

We flew back a few weeks later.  I was off work for 6 days.  We did a stop over in Iceland for 24 hours each way, because I wanted to take it easy flying over for my body to be ready for transfer.  And the tickets were significantly cheaper on Iceland Air to do it that way.  When we were over there we bought the rest of the medicine that I would need if pregnant to sustain the pregnancy.  

All in, including freezing for 1 year, the cycle was 5,500 Euros.  My medicine, total, was about 500$ Canadian.  We saved our receipts and our work insurance refunded the 500$.    

When my DH flew over his trip was about $1400 CAD for airfare (we bought at the last minute).  I can look up our hotel & food expenses if you're interested.  just FYI Greece is a lot cheaper then Iceland.  

Remember to save your medical receipts:  Your medicine and medical expenses can be deduced from taxes if you don't have any work insurance.  If you have work insurance, try sending in the medicine for sure, and the rest if you have any fertility insurance.  

If you get a note from your doctor that you needed to go overseas, you can deduct travel expenses.  So, see if a doctor will write the letter, and if so, save these receipts.   

Let me know if you have any other questions, and feel free to PM!  Good luck!

#22 Dee123

Dee123
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

Thanks Tess, so glad it worked out for you. If the first round of ivf doesn't work, will the clinic discount you for a second attempt? I'm noticing that with some of the mexico clinics.