5 replies to this topic

#1 Josephine

Josephine
  • Global 100+
  • 312 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Markham

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:40 PM

I was hoping to hear your take on my experience recently.

I was in the care of a physician for IVF treatment - started stim drugs. After I complained via email and telephone after care I had received my doctor cancelled my cycle. Stated that the trust between me and his clinic team deteriorated so quickly that he cancelled my cycle. He reimbursed us financially and apologized but none the less wasted my time. I'm no spring chicken. How can a doctor cancel a cylce for non medical reasons? He didn't inquire about my complaints nor did he want to hear about them or talk to me.

I will be exploring a complaint with the College of Nurses. I don't want another person to have this same experience. Any comments?

• Highest hopes likes this

Me 43 DH 40
TTC 9 yrs

IVF #1 ER Jan 20 2008 ET Jan 25 2008
Feb 4 2008 1st Beta 580/Feb 7 2008 2nd Beta 2100
BFP!  TWINS
Baby Boys Born Sept 24/08

FET # 1 ET April 13, 2010
April 23, 2010 1st Beta 170/April 26 2010 2nd Beta 635
BFP! Singelton 

Baby boy Born Deceber 10/10

FET#2 2014 chemical pregnancy 

FET#3 2014 blighted ovum

FET#4  2014 chemical pregnancy

Natural pregnancy - early m/c 2014

2014 - not a good year!

#2 piggypower

piggypower
  • Global 100+
  • 591 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:09 PM

Oh my goodness. I am so sorry that this happened to you. My guess is that since your money was returned, you may not have a case. Either way I think it was handled poorly and I am shocked and dismayed on your behalf.

#3 Kayte

Kayte
  • Global 100+
  • 281 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:01 AM

To me, this goes beyond returning funds. Along the lines of the Bravelle drug recall, there is also the issue of the meds you ingested, your time, your logistical scheduling, and the emotional shock of a cycle being taken away from you that you had signed consents for. If you have drug coverage or paid out of pocket, is that compensated? How do you compensate for the "invisible" factors taken away from you?

I'm very sorry. I definitely think looking into this is a good idea.

#4 Merry33

Merry33
  • 1000+
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:58 AM

If a physician feels that he/she cannot or could not establish an adequate doctor-patient relationship (for whatever reason), he/she can decide to discontinue care. There is no law stating that a doctor must provide care for everyone.
It must have been incredibly frustrating for you, and you are def entitled to file a complaint to the College.

#5 Josephine

Josephine
  • Global 100+
  • 312 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Markham

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:21 PM

Thank you. I appreciate everyone's comments. I'm kind of in shock and my husband and I have spent the day trying to figure out what to do next and where to go. As all of you know going to a new clinic takes time and well I don't want to be doing IVF at 44. I don't have the emotional energy anymore.

Yes I can understand that he can decline care but I think we are most shocked that he didn't discuss his decision, allow us to voice our concerns or try to fix the breakdown in communication. When I expressed my anger via email and to the RPN - not rudley but I was upset he decided without speaking to us to cancel the cycle. He didn't try tore-establish trust or mende the relationship, when there was a conflict, he just cancelled our cycle. The best is that he did it over the phone and refused to allow us to speak - stating he'd put the phone down.

I'm an RN - ethically I think he was negligent, both him and his RPN.

Yes, I'll follow up with the College. I'm 43 - he knows what a delay in my care means to my chances of success.

Oh, he reimbursed us for everything! Even non-refundable deposits and medications we didn't purchase at his clinic. My husband and I felt like we were being paid off. Even if my complaint doesn't go anywhere I'll have had the chance to voice my upset.

He has enough complaints on the forums about his team - you think he'd want to try to improve the nursing care he provides.

This process is stressful enough. cry.gif

Me 43 DH 40
TTC 9 yrs

IVF #1 ER Jan 20 2008 ET Jan 25 2008
Feb 4 2008 1st Beta 580/Feb 7 2008 2nd Beta 2100
BFP!  TWINS
Baby Boys Born Sept 24/08

FET # 1 ET April 13, 2010
April 23, 2010 1st Beta 170/April 26 2010 2nd Beta 635
BFP! Singelton 

Baby boy Born Deceber 10/10

FET#2 2014 chemical pregnancy 

FET#3 2014 blighted ovum

FET#4  2014 chemical pregnancy

Natural pregnancy - early m/c 2014

2014 - not a good year!

#6 piggypower

piggypower
  • Global 100+
  • 591 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:04 AM

How upsetting. Again, I really feel for you. I think most doctors would either try to improve or explain. There are lots of docs,from what i gather on this website, who are nonchalant about complaints. But I've never heard of a doc cutting off ties and returning all the money. But if it happened to you, I'm guessing others have experienced it. At this point, I guess you can only move on and try to find a new RE. There are frequently cancellations so you might get in sooner than you think. And you may find a clinic that you like better. Hoping that the next leg of your journey goes smoothly.