Jump to content


Number of gametes to thaw

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Highest hopes

Highest hopes
  • Global 100+
  • 612 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:McGill & ARTUS

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:00 PM



1. Our clinic would like to thaw 15 eggs to be confident in the likelihood of a successful cycle.

I would prefer that they thaw 10 as I only want to transfer one and don't want to lose some in the process, that may not make it to blast for re-freezing.


Legally, is it our decision or the clinic's on how many to thaw?

I feel as we are paying, it's our decision.

The embryologist seemed to think it was his decision. 


2. Similarly, if we want them to transfer on Day 3 instead of Day 5, is that our decision or the clinic's?  (Apparently it is more work for them to transfer on Day 3 as it requires more monitoring.)


We just signed consent forms and this wasn't mentioned anywhere, though it did ask how many embryos we wanted to transfer.


Would it just be a matter of us writing on the consent form, or adding an addendum about our wishes for these other items?



Dx: Age (40+) & Endometriosis & Tubal & DNA fragmentation


#2 dragnfly

  • Global 100+
  • 357 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:SE TX, USA
  • Interests:Sewing, working on cars, my chickens
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:CORM, Webster,TX, USA

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:33 PM

Are all the eggs mature? Are you going to be freezing any extra embys? If so, I personally would go with the 15. Also, personally I would go with a 5 day transfer. I just feel like if it can make it to Blastocyst then it might have a better chance of being healthy. Also, they have more info to grade them on at that stage.

All these decisions drive me crazy too. There is just no way to know what is the right one.
Ask lots of questions, consider all outcomes, & go with what makes you most comfortable. Don't let them bully you into anything you don't feel good about, they are your eggs & it is your money.
  • mouse and CdnHockeyGal like this

TTC for 10 years
Surgery in Feb 2015 to remove large fibroid, polyps, & cysts

1st IVF ER in Sept 2015- 10 eggs, 3 mature, 2 fertilized w/ ICSI, 2 blastosysts initially frozen,one embryo did not survive thaw for PGS testing ( very poor grade)

2nd IVF ER in Nov 2015- 22 eggs, 13 mature, 9 fertilized w/ICSI, 5 blastocysts, 6 total sent out for PGS, 1 missing a chromosome, 2 monosomies & 3 passed test with good grades

1st FET - January 17th 2016, BFN 1-31-16, looks like it may have been a chemical

3/8/16 - SHG all clear
2nd FET - 3/28/16...officially PUPO!
4/5/16 - BFP on HPT
4/7/16 - no longer just PUPO, Beta = 314
4/11/16 - 2nd beta = 3225!!
4/20/16 - 6 weeks, 1st u/s. 4mm, measuring 6w1d, heartbeat = 112bpm!
5/4/16 - 8 weeks, 2nd u/s. 16mm,measuring 8w1d, heartbeat = 175bpm
5/18/16 - 10 weeks, 3rd u/s. 1 1/2 inches, measuring 10w5d (big baby), 180bpm

#3 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2,601 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:55 PM

it is always your choice to decide what to do with your body, but at the same time a doctor can refuse to do something you are asking for if he/she feels that it is unsafe or not appropriate. in regards to thawing, it may be related to how they are stored - we wanted to thaw our embryos one at a time and learned that they were stored in pairs, so only possible to thaw as a pair. in our case there was no problem to refreeze as we were quite adamant about only doing a single embryo transfer. I'm not sure if that is helpful.


Best of luck


I am 37, DH - 38
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png

===> Beautiful baby boy born 2013 babyboy.gif

Donor FET Oct/16 - chemical

April 2017 - surprise PG

#4 SherryLevitan

  • Advisor
  • 104 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Toronto
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:45 PM

Hi Highest Hopes,

You are absolutely in the driver's seat. I am neither a physician nor an embryologist, and so I am not qualified to give you medical advice, but ask your physician to justify his/her position. A good physician should be drafting a treatment plan based on your personal information, and the best available medical research studies. Ask all of your questions, insist on a thoughtful response, and then make your own decision.
Best of luck. If you need help, call me.


#5 Highest hopes

Highest hopes
  • Global 100+
  • 612 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:McGill & ARTUS

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:53 PM

Thanks Sherry.


They've given me all of the medical info and I'm not looking for that here - we just have a difference of opinion and I was wondering if I can tell them that I would like them to thaw less and they legally need to abide by that.  I already did tell them and the embryologist sounded like he is going to go ahead and thaw the amount he feels is best.  I guess I would have to tell them firmly and put it in writing and then that would make it legal?

Dx: Age (40+) & Endometriosis & Tubal & DNA fragmentation


#6 SherryLevitan

  • Advisor
  • 104 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Toronto
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:06 PM

Remember all of those consent forms that you sign? They provide that you can withdraw consent at any time, but the withdrawal must be in writing. The clinic clearly needs your consent to use the eggs or embryos in any way. Put your instructions in writing and get confirmation that the clinic has received your written instructions. Your instincts are on target!
  • ociwoman likes this