TRIO

462 replies to this topic

#1 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 556 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:51 PM

Hey! A few of us hijacked another thread to chat about our experience at TCART now TRIO. I thought I would start it up here. 

I'm starting a funded round of IVF at TRIO in June of this year. I've been with the clinic since November 2015. So far it has been a positive experience and while I'm nervous/stressed about what my outcome will be I feel like I'm at the right place. 

• Macy J likes this

See my 'about me' page for treatment history.

#2 Dani88

Dani88
  • 97 posts
  • My Clinic:Trio

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

Hey! A few of us hijacked another thread to chat about our experience at TCART now TRIO. I thought I would start it up here. 

I'm starting a funded round of IVF at TRIO in June of this year. I've been with the clinic since November 2015. So far it has been a positive experience and while I'm nervous/stressed about what my outcome will be I feel like I'm at the right place. 

Schlepp, thanks for starting this thread.  I am glad you are receiving the funding this year and June really isn't that far away now.  It's nice you have some notice as well.  Since you will be going through everything before me, I hope you don't mind if I bug you with questions when it's my turn :)

We are hoping to receive the funding this year too.  If not, we may pay out of pocket.... we are saving up for it just incase as I've heard other clinics are already running out of the funding and I was told by the TRIO it may not happen for us this year as they don't know how many patients will get a funded cycle this year and we are no where near the top of the list.  Our next appointment is with Dr. Bentov a week from Thursday and hopefully we will know more then.

We are waiting to see if we will have to do Micro-TESE along side IVF, as my DH has had 4 SA done and two came back with zero sperm and the other two were less than 0.1 of a million (24,000 was the number on the one).  We are trying to see if we can freeze some from the ejaculate rather than having to do the operation.  As soon as we have enough sperm (Dr. Bentov says he likes to see 1 million before doing IVF).

Once we know for sure we are able to do IVF I would like to get a book on the topic.  Has anyone read any good books on IVF that they would recommend?

Me:  27,  DH:  27 (Non-Obstructive Azoospermia) - TTC since October 2014
Micro-TESE August 23, 2016
Unmedicated Donor IUI - October 4, 2016 - BFN
d5YBm5.pngJH5wm5.pngB5jIm5.png

#3 Dani88

Dani88
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:18 PM

I received an e-mail today saying that they ran out of funding for this year and that I am on the list for a funded cycle between January to June 2017.  We are probably going to wait for the funding and knock down debt and try to be healthier in the mean time.

#4 Elle22

Elle22
  • Global 100+
  • 283 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Tcart/Trio

Posted 04 April 2016 - 04:53 PM

I got the same email!  not impressed. 

#5 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 556 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:42 PM

Wow! That was fast! I thought the government funding runs April 1 - March 31. There was a huge rush to get through cycles in the first three months of the year from what I heard. I'm guessing they've scheduled everyone in for the slots they have for this fiscal year. But I would bet some people don't end up using their slot so I would think there must still be a chance later in the year. I had heard this same thing on the forum but from people at other clinics. 

#6 Dani88

Dani88
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:45 AM

I was put on the list at the beginning of January... it's just craziness that it could end up being a year and a half wait when I was put on the list less than a month after it started.

#7 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 556 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:41 AM

I think the issue must be that they already had a lot of existing patients to put on the list the moment they started it. So it was likely full almost immediately. I know other clinics are doing a lottery system. Not sure what the fair system is, although I do think women that might be aging out should be given some kind of priority. I've seen comments from some women that are 42 that they are just squeaking in and I'm happy for them that they're getting their chance. 

I'm already thinking about how to save up for a second cycle if the first isn't successful or I get really low numbers. I keep reading about people doing 'banking' when they have low AMH and want to avoid using donor eggs. I wonder if there is also a wait list for paid cycles?

#8 Elle22

Elle22
  • Global 100+
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:12 PM

Schelpp. i did a paid cycle, and there is no wait time for that.

#9 Dani88

Dani88
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:18 PM

Elle22 - Have you put much thought into what your plan of action will be now?  Will you wait until next year?  It seems so far away.

#10 Elle22

Elle22
  • Global 100+
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:53 PM

Dani- i can't imagine waiting that long.  I am currently doing a frozen cycle (my second try) and then I have 2 more frozen after that.  hopefully it doesn't even come to that.

#11 Dani88

Dani88
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:59 PM

Dani- i can't imagine waiting that long.  I am currently doing a frozen cycle (my second try) and then I have 2 more frozen after that.  hopefully it doesn't even come to that.

Oh that's good at least.  Fingers are crossed for you.  Is IVF as awful as I imagine it to be?  If you already have a baby when your name finally comes up on the funded list, would you try for another?

#12 Elle22

Elle22
  • Global 100+
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:38 PM

Dani - IVF isn't so bad. I am a big wuss, and i made it through.  i found it a  bit overwhelming but it went by pretty fast.  

do you know when you will be starting?

#13 Dani88

Dani88
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:52 PM

Elle - In all likelihood I will be starting between January and June 2017 now.  I've been saving for this for a while, but I think I am going to pay my car off and knock down some OSAP so that if we get pregnant we will be in a better financial situation.  Honestly, I go back and forth between paying for it out of pocket (which we would be able to do in a month or so, but we'd have no money left over, which would make it that much harder if it didn't work and stressful if it did) and waiting for the funding.  Ask me tomorrow, and I might give you a different answer.  It's just unfortunate that if it works it won't be for another year, and if it doesn't work we will have to wait that same amount of time to find out.  I'm very impatient and like to plan out everything and this has been very difficult on me.

#14 Dani88

Dani88
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:55 PM

So the decision has been made for us.  We went to see our urologist yesterday and he said the only possibility we have to retrieve the sperm from my DH that we require for IVF is through a Micro-TESE procedure.  It has been booked for August 23, 2016.  We were told that if they find some, there will probably only be enough for one cycle of IVF.  We have decided to wait for the funding, so if we get the sperm we require in August (we were given a 85% chance), we will freeze it and use it next year for IVF.  It feels better to know we have a plan in place and a timeline and that if it doesn't work, we've at least tried.  I am trying to be positive without being too hopeful.  Since we will be lucky to get one shot at IVF, I'd rather wait than pay another $12,000.  With my meds and my DH's operation, we are already looking at about $7,000.

#15 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 556 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:12 PM

Dani88 - Having a plan feels good. Like there is forward momentum. You must be relieved. We are at Mt Sinai next week for the PESA. I'll send an update afterwards but posted in the other thread about the steps being confusing with TRIO for freezing. 

We think I am going to need 5-6k worth of meds so with the PESA we are also in for 7k+. I have a follow up appointment next week and will be asking about PGS as well since I'm 'of advanced maternal age'. Anyone else done PGS with TRIO? 

• returnable likes this

#16 Baby girl

Baby girl
  • 55 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:TRIO/TCART

Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:55 PM

I think it depends on your age if you choose to wait. Some people have no choice but to pay. I claimed them on my taxes and got most of the money back which was great. I got pregnant 2 times and m/c using IUI. I was pregnant only once with IVF and had IVF 3 times. Then Dr. Casper suggested using a donor egg. So we did and now I am 32 weeks pregnant after 7 years of trying. I am glad my sister helped us. I have 7 frozen embryos waiting to be used for all being well another child. I have to get through my first pregnancy first. We are so excited! Good luck to everyone.

#17 lesnic

lesnic
  • 21 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Trio/LifeQuest

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:08 PM

@schlepp - I've done PGS with Trio (formerly LifeQuest) and had a good process.  If you need more details, I can provide them to you. :)

#18 Dani88

Dani88
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:24 AM

@schlepp - I've done PGS with Trio (formerly LifeQuest) and had a good process.  If you need more details, I can provide them to you. smile.png

Do you know how much PGS costs at TRIO?

#19 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 556 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:44 AM

@schlepp - I've done PGS with Trio (formerly LifeQuest) and had a good process.  If you need more details, I can provide them to you. smile.png

It looks like you pay Trio $2,500 then pay Reprogenetics $2,250 US directly. 

#20 Dani88

Dani88
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:49 AM

It looks like you pay Trio $2,500 then pay Reprogenetics $2,250 US directly. 

Okay.  Good to know.  Thank you.

#21 Macy J

Macy J
  • 12 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:TCart

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:48 AM

Hi,

I have my funded cycle with them in June too :) So nervous though! I'm 36, have a son who will turn 5 on mother's day. It all happened so easy with him. Literally the first time we started trying it happened but the second one is just not happening! I had a really early on miss-carriage 2 years a go, had one failed IUI cycle and now this. Fingers crossed all will be ok.

I'm supposed to call them on my day 1 in may, go to the office on my day 3 in may and not sure then what! Do you know more?

I hope it works out for all you lovely ladies here. Have faith and be positive :)

#22 Elle22

Elle22
  • Global 100+
  • 283 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:37 PM

Hi Macy J - welcome!  

Who is your main RE at Trio?  I see you are at the Kitchener clinic - I am at the Toronto clinic.  I did an IVF cycle in January with a fresh transfer which did not work and then a frozen transfer in February which also did not work.  I just did another frozen transfer last week and hoping this will be the one!

Happy to try to answer any questions you may have. 

• Macy J likes this

#23 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 556 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:23 AM

Welcome Macy J! Exciting to meet someone else that is cycling the same month and is also with TRIO. 

I also received very little information. Are they putting you on birth control pills to start? I am, which also leads me to not know much about exact dates. My regular cycle is kind of clockwork so would be easy for me to plan around.

Have you decided if you're doing any of the extras? Like PGS or spindle view? 

Make sure you join the June 2016 IVF forum as well. 

• Macy J likes this

#24 Macy J

Macy J
  • 12 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:TCart

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:04 PM

Thanks Elle 22,

I really hope that this one works for you. After all, third is the charm! smile.png

I've been seeing Dr. Bentov since last summer. I've so far tried a timed intercourse with Puregon which didn't work, I had a failed IUI with Puregon as well. So I really hope they won't put me on puregon for this one smile.png

My husband works in the UAE so he is not here most of the time, we had his sperm frozen in  March. I just hope that will be ok because he might not be able to make it for the procedure in June!

I feel so happy that I found this forum. You guys are all great!

#25 Elle22

Elle22
  • Global 100+
  • 283 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:19 PM

Macy - I'm with Bentov as well. How do you like him?

I never did BCP before any cycles. so i don't know much about that protocol.  

That's rough that your husband isn't always around, I know support is so helpful but once the hormones kick in, being away from each-other may actually help!  lol

I know it's still a bit of time before you get to a retrieval, but just a heads up you will need someone there with you to go home, because you will be drugged up.  also you may even want some in the procedure with you to squeeze their hand :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TRIO