Photo
- - - - -

Vasectomy reversal + IVF/ICSI - success stories?

MF Vasectomy ICSI

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 589 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:03 AM

Does anyone have experience with getting a vasectomy reversed while also pursuing IVF/ICSI? I've read a ton of stories about reversal not working. Trying to remind myself that people probably don't post their story if it worked as our Doctor did say it has a 50% PG rate.

Debating over having my DH just get it done while we wait for a funded cycle of IVF. 50% is as good as IVF and since the price tag is $5500 it seems to make sense from a numbers/cost perspective. Just looking for anyone else that went this route. Age is not in my side and we likely won't be able to afford to fund a full round of IVF if the first doesn't work. Anyone get a BFP with reversal after trying IVF?

This study is really making me pause and think about cost. We definitely aren't able to invest 60k. http://theturekclini...-effectiveness/

Thanks in advance.

See my 'about me' page for treatment history.

#2 lily84

lily84
  • Global 100+
  • 136 posts
  • Dx:Vasectomy
  • My Clinic:Heartland/ Now VFC

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:58 PM

There are so many factors come into play. How low has it been since the vasectomy?

My DH was almost 14 years out from his vasectomy when it was reversed. Most do not recommend attempting a reversal after 10 years. Our former fertility clinic seemed to be mostly focused on the fact that we had time since I was 30(DH is 44), but they failed to investigate my issues too before recommending a reversal. DH needed the more complicated procedure (where the vas is reconnected directly to the epididymis on the testicles since no sperm was found on either end) In post-op the urologist basically told us there wasn't must chance of it being successful. His recovery was awful. He had a couple of weeks of severe pain and still gets uncomfortable a year out now. 6 months past reversal there was no sperm present. So after being felt like we were misled, we switched clinics. DH underwent a PESA procedure and they retrieved viable sperm. That was a breeze for him and he ended up really pissed off that he had to go through a reversal and we threw away 6 grand. I had my IVF cycle the following month and a couple months later was my ET. I'm currently 7 weeks pregnant.

I really wish we would have gotten a second opinion. My opinion is bitter and clouded over how we were handled so take with a grain of salt. Our current clinic said that a reversal should never have been advised. We could have used that money to put towards our cycle. If I was your ages, I most definitely would have gone straight to IVF. Good luck with your decision!
Me: PCOS DH: failed reversal
Oct '15 - PESA successful!
Nov '15 - Freeze all IVF w/ ICSI due to high OHSS risk = 4 embryos on ice.
Jan 22, '16 - FET 1 beautiful blast BFP on HPT at 7dp5dt!!! - Beta 682 at 12dp5dt!
7w3d U/S showed baby right on target with a HB of 150.
21w1d U/S showed lively yet stubborn baby with a HB 139. Team Green!
Edd - Oct 9th
Baby girl born Oct 17th! 6lbs14oz

#3 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 589 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:50 PM

Thanks lily84 and congrats on your BFP! Really appreciate you sharing your experience. 

Where did you get the reversal done? 

If you don't mind me asking (since we will have to do PESA or TESA as well) did you use the frozen sample from the PESA for your cycle?

#4 lily84

lily84
  • Global 100+
  • 136 posts
  • Dx:Vasectomy
  • My Clinic:Heartland/ Now VFC

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:20 PM

The reversal was done in Winnipeg. We don't have a lot of options out here.

Yes, we used a frozen sample. DH was on standby in case they didn't survive thaw.

The thing with reversals is that it is so much a wait and see. He might end having viable sperm in a couple of years, but there's also a chance that it scars over in time even after successful surgeries.
Me: PCOS DH: failed reversal
Oct '15 - PESA successful!
Nov '15 - Freeze all IVF w/ ICSI due to high OHSS risk = 4 embryos on ice.
Jan 22, '16 - FET 1 beautiful blast BFP on HPT at 7dp5dt!!! - Beta 682 at 12dp5dt!
7w3d U/S showed baby right on target with a HB of 150.
21w1d U/S showed lively yet stubborn baby with a HB 139. Team Green!
Edd - Oct 9th
Baby girl born Oct 17th! 6lbs14oz

#5 pearljam1997

pearljam1997
  • 1000+
  • 1,528 posts
  • My Clinic:Heartland/ Now VFC!!

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:51 PM

We also pursued a reversal here in Manitoba and as lily said there are not many options, only one. We did achieve sperm up to 54 million around the 8 month mark but then counts tanked and went to zero. Sadly we did not bank sperm when we had them as we never imagined doing ivf but hindsight is 20/20 so we ended up doing fresh PESA in at VFC in BC for our 4th ivf cycle and that worked like a charm. We had TESE here in Manitoba but sadly the 2 cycles that went to retrieval never resulted in any embryos. First ivf cycle is when we learned of the near zero count and poor sperm was used and the second full cycle we used TESE sperm and again had nothing to transfer. Seems PESA sperm are better quality overall.

So the plus is that your partner likely has sperm and PESA should work out well.

I've known many to have reversals and most were successful but it's a gamble. Had we known then what we know now I'd have saved the $6k for the reversal and the $4k for the TESE and just done ivf/icsi/PESA.

I wish you all the best.
Me 35, DH 39, DS 1-18, DS 2-16, m/c July 1999 and Oct 2015, failed reversal. See about me page for history.

#6 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 589 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:27 PM

Thanks lily84. So true about the wait and see. I'm inherently impatient so all of this is driving me a bit nuts.

pearljam1997 - Thanks so much for sharing your story. I can't imagine how frustrating that must have been to go from 54 million to zero. Was there a reason they did TESE rather than PESA? I'm even worried about a fresh PESA on day of ER as then both of us are having procedures the same day.  

Anyone out there had a vasectomy reversal with Dr. Grober in Toronto? I've read a lot about him. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MF, Vasectomy, ICSI