#1 HelenM

HelenM
  • Global 100+
  • 247 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Program, Calgary

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:40 PM

Hello!

We just received our BFN after our first round of IVF with ICSI due to MF. Everything seems good on the female front. 

Our results were as follows, 15 eggs retrieved, 12 mature, 7 fertilized, 1 "good" 8 cell embryo on day 3, the rest were highly fragmented or had stopped growing. They transferred two 3 day embryos. Nothing remained to freeze.

I've thrown myself into researching so I can ask the right questions of our Dr. to get success next time around. 

I found out about PICSI, but I'm having a hard time finding anything about it here in Canada. It seems to have been around since 2010 or 2012, so why aren't clinics doing it here?

Anyone done it? Why/why not?

Thank you!

Helen

TTC since Oct 2013

IVF  w/ ICSI #1 Jan 2016

-15 eggs retrieved, 12 mature, 7 fertilized. Transferred 2 day 3 embryos. Nothing to freeze.th_abfn.gif

IVF w/ICSI #2 May 2016

-24 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, 6 fertilized. Transferred 3 day 3 embryos. Nothing to freeze. th_abfn.gif

#2 MrsBR

MrsBR
  • Global 100+
  • 570 posts
  • Dx:Vasectomy
  • My Clinic:MFC/OVO

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:32 PM

My clinic does it and have had good success with it. I could not do it in my case because it was sperm from a tesa procedure and was told it only worked with a regular sample. Good luck!
  • HelenM likes this
1 year...6 fresh ivf's...so many failed attempts...we finally got a BFP on Nov 27, 2014. What finally worked: co culture, G - CSF, IVIG, prednisone.Nov 27 Beta 112 Nov 29 Beta 291 Dec 16Saw 2 flickering heartbeats on ultrasound!!!! (from a single blastocyst transfer)Looking like identical twins for us...wowDec 22 control u/s to make sure the babies are growing. Only 1 H/B found.1 twin didn't make it. Just 1 baby for us. Jan 23 NT scan and blood work came back all normal! As per our amazing technician...70% chance it's a girl!Mar 18th 20 week anatomy scan shows a perfectly healthy baby girl!
Madison arrives on July 17 2015 at 37 weeks 2 days! 10 fingers and 10 toes...perfect in every way.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#3 HelenM

HelenM
  • Global 100+
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:03 PM

My clinic does it and have had good success with it. I could not do it in my case because it was sperm from a tesa procedure and was told it only worked with a regular sample. Good luck!

MrsBR, How did you like OVO? I have some friends that went there and weren't huge fans. 

TTC since Oct 2013

IVF  w/ ICSI #1 Jan 2016

-15 eggs retrieved, 12 mature, 7 fertilized. Transferred 2 day 3 embryos. Nothing to freeze.th_abfn.gif

IVF w/ICSI #2 May 2016

-24 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, 6 fertilized. Transferred 3 day 3 embryos. Nothing to freeze. th_abfn.gif

#4 Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

• Cyclebase
  • 1,414 posts
  • My Clinic:Canada

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:15 PM

Hi,Helen, just wanted to,touch base... Male factor is a bitch!!! I've gone through many cycles... Feel free to read my signature and profile and pm me any questions!

May 2013 - We welcome our baby boy 

Nov. 28th 2015 - We welcome our baby girl

3 day 3 embryos on ice 

For a more detailed look on my cycles, visit my 'about me' page

#5 MrsBR

MrsBR
  • Global 100+
  • 570 posts
  • Dx:Vasectomy
  • My Clinic:MFC/OVO

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:25 PM

Hi Helen! It's definitely a large clinic and if you stopped going no one would really notice! That being said the dr's (and research team) did everything to get me pregnant. They are open to different ideas and have great facilities. My other clinic tried the same protocol 3 times a told me I probably had bad eggs. So I'm of course going to think highly of the place that got me my daughter. But at a clinic like that you need to be your own advocate more then ever and push for yourself.
1 year...6 fresh ivf's...so many failed attempts...we finally got a BFP on Nov 27, 2014. What finally worked: co culture, G - CSF, IVIG, prednisone.Nov 27 Beta 112 Nov 29 Beta 291 Dec 16Saw 2 flickering heartbeats on ultrasound!!!! (from a single blastocyst transfer)Looking like identical twins for us...wowDec 22 control u/s to make sure the babies are growing. Only 1 H/B found.1 twin didn't make it. Just 1 baby for us. Jan 23 NT scan and blood work came back all normal! As per our amazing technician...70% chance it's a girl!Mar 18th 20 week anatomy scan shows a perfectly healthy baby girl!
Madison arrives on July 17 2015 at 37 weeks 2 days! 10 fingers and 10 toes...perfect in every way.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#6 HelenM

HelenM
  • Global 100+
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:17 PM

Hi,Helen, just wanted to,touch base... Male factor is a bitch!!! I've gone through many cycles... Feel free to read my signature and profile and pm me any questions!

Thanks Heregoesnothing! I will do! I appreciate the support. 

Hi Helen! It's definitely a large clinic and if you stopped going no one would really notice! That being said the dr's (and research team) did everything to get me pregnant. They are open to different ideas and have great facilities. My other clinic tried the same protocol 3 times a told me I probably had bad eggs. So I'm of course going to think highly of the place that got me my daughter. But at a clinic like that you need to be your own advocate more then ever and push for yourself.

MrsBR, 

I wonder how different it is now they've cut funding. My friends did 3 rounds including 2 donor egg rounds that were funded. One DE cycle they had complete fertilization failure. My friend swears they must have forgotten to put his swimmers in the dish lol. 

They felt they were pushed by the clinic past where his wife was comfortable and felt it was disorganized. 

RFP in Calgary definitely felt a bit like a baby factory while we were there. Everyone was kind (except the embryologists, they need a course in bedside manners lol), but we were definitely a number. 

I promised DH I wouldn't research too much and just trust the "experts", except after such terrible, unexpected results I am not going that route this time. I'm going to question and research it all.

Helen

TTC since Oct 2013

IVF  w/ ICSI #1 Jan 2016

IVF w/ICSI #2 May 2016