Photo
- - - - -

Have fertility treatments mucked up your brain?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 piggypower

piggypower
  • Global 100+
  • 591 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:17 PM

Hi everyone, 

I'm wondering if fertility treatments have had an effect on your brain functioning. During my treatment, I experienced side effects like weight gain and hormonal acne, but most of that went away after I stopped the drugs.

The brain functioning is another story.  I feel like my short-term memory is gone. I have a difficult time retaining new information and I'm nowhere as sharp as I used to be. It's been over half a year since I've been on any meds, but I still haven't improved. We're still doing infertility stuff (there have been a multitude of complications that we continue to encounter), so I'm wondering if it's the continued stress of infertility that's impacting my mental health. 

I'm curious to know how others have fared. Have you experienced any short-term or long-term side effects? How did you deal with it? Did anything help? I really want my brain back. sad.png

Thanks everyone!

#2 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1,123 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:42 PM

I'm so sorry -- infertility is so hard.

The stress of infertility has most definitely affected my brain function.  It's harder to concentrate on reading a good book & much harder to multi-task.  

Doing relaxing and fun things helps a lot.

• piggypower likes this

#3 ilovemydogs

ilovemydogs
  • Cyclebase
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:58 PM

I find it's the stress and anxiety issues that can affect my brain.
Finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

See "About Me" for details.

#4 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 6,231 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball, travel & starting a family
  • My Clinic:Heartland, Sanford, SIRM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:39 PM

During stims I absolutely had trouble with focus and memory...I usually finds it goes away once I'm on the drugs.  ((hugs))

We've tried lots of things for a long time. None of them have resulted in a viable pregnancy.

#5 Loobylou

Loobylou
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:Immunological
  • My Clinic:Markham

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:23 PM

I had a terrible time when on the meds and during pregnancies while on higher dose meds. It was like I was in a fog and couldn't concentrate on anything. After 8 years of trying for a family, with one success story, and trying for number two we decided to call it quits. Lots of factors involved in making the decision, but, as soon as that decision was made I have never felt better and had such clarity. It was like 8 years of worry and anxiety had brought me down so much, and it's not until it is over you realise how much! I appreciate I am blessed to have a child, but the whole process takes it out of you.