Photo
- - - - -

drastic change in sperm dna fragmentation?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 piggypower

piggypower
  • Global 100+
  • 591 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:07 PM

Hello,
I received news that my husband's sperm dna fragmentation is over 70%. This was a shock to both of us because it was at 20.4% just over a year and a half ago. What could cause such a drastic change? Our RE asked if my husband was using illegal drugs or if there was a huge lifestyle change, but things have pretty much been the same as they've always been. 

I'm really hoping that it's a lab error, but I really don't know what to think. What are the possible solutions for this?

#2 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Super Moderator
  • 6,120 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:04 PM

Just a friendly reminder that all the site experts are volunteers and may not respond for some time. In addition to the usual caveat about medical advice garnered over the internet, from people who have little info on your specific case history, if this is something that will impact treatment options, you really are better off speaking with your own medical team.

Fingers crossed for answers and a way forward!

The plural of anecdote is not data.  

#3 piggypower

piggypower
  • Global 100+
  • 591 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:09 PM

I spoke with them today (they're the ones that gave us the results) and we've been given a solution (vitamins).  I'm reaching out here because I'd like to hear what other people's experiences and thoughts are. I can see that the expert has not recently been active on the site, but I thought I would try anyway. I'm not looking for THE solution, just some possible solutions and general information and ideas from the community-  just as I do in any other forum on this very useful site.

#4 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Super Moderator
  • 6,120 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:29 AM

In that case you may want to take it to the open forum so that you have a wider audience. Not all of the membership will respond to a thread in the expert section.

Fingers crossed!

The plural of anecdote is not data.  

#5 piggypower

piggypower
  • Global 100+
  • 591 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:42 AM

Hi Mouse, 

That's a good idea. Thank you!

#6 conky

conky
  • Global 100+
  • 746 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:09 AM

Hi Piggypower,

I don't have any answers for you, but I've always wondered if DNA Fragmentation results are more variable than we realize. Most people only do the test once or twice, but if it was done more frequently I wonder if we'd see more variation...day to day, week to week, whatever.

My husband had high DNA fragmentation...not severely high, but it was a concern. He also had low motility and morphology. His count was okay, but not off the charts awesome. He had a procedure done (it's been a while, I forget the term) in order to repair a varicocele and he took vitamins. I think his second DNA fragmentation result was better (still moderately high but better) but overall his numbers didn't change dramatically.

In any case, we ended up having success with IVF almost five years ago and then a surprise spontaneous pregnancy, so don't give up hope that high DNA fragmentation can still result in a viable pregnancy. Best of luck. I know it's stressful. grouphug2.gif

• piggypower likes this

#7 piggypower

piggypower
  • Global 100+
  • 591 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:37 PM

Thanks Conky. My husband's DNA fragmentation came as a huge shock to us. We will see how things go.