6 replies to this topic

#1 neen.

neen.
  • Global 100+
  • 132 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:41 PM

Hi All, 

I'm from Toronto and have booked an appointment to see Dr. Virro in December. I've done one round of IVF at   Mount Sinai with 2 failed FETs. I have 4 more embryos but am planning ahead and considering making the switch to Markham, as Mount Sinai doesn't do any immune testing/treatment. 

I was wondering if anyone else has switched from another clinic and if you had to redo the testing that Dr. Virro asks for in the initial patient package?

I'm pretty sure I can get most of it, but we never did sperm DNA fragmentation. I'm basically going to him for a second opinion and don't want to spend the money on additional testing if he doesn't think that he'd do anything differently from what I'm doing now. 

I find that it's hard to actually get a chance to talk to his receptionist to get this information so I'm not sure what I should do in terms of getting all these tests redone. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Me: 32 DH:32

Dx: unexplained IF 

him: perfect

me: all tests normal, polycystic ovaries but not the syndrome, longer cycles (31 days) 

TTC #1 since November 2013

Started Fertility treatments July 2014.

Jul 2014- Feb 2015: superovulation drugs +timed intercourse/IUI = BFN

Nov 2014: laparoscopy. found mild endo, lasered it out and did some ovarian drilling

After 3 IUI's, several cycles of drugs+ timed intercourse, all BFN's and a lot of stress we went for a second opinion. 

March 2015- switched fertility clinics.

June 2015- IVF#1: antagonist protocol (puregon, luveris, orgalutron).  mild OHSS so freeze-all cycle

Aug 2015- FET#1= BFN

Oct 2015- FET #2 natural cycle= BFN

Nov 2015- endometrial scratch procedure

Dec 2015- FET#3 natural cycle with reactine, medrol= BFP!!!!

beta#1: 548!

beta#2: 1431!!

pregnancy ultrasound 7w1d - saw two little peanuts! Baby A- 7w1d, 135 bpm, Baby B- 7w2d, 145 bpm! Can't believe we are going to have 2 little munchkins! Officially graduated from CFRH

Awaiting call from OB office at Mount Sinai Hospital

#2 Kayte

Kayte
  • Global 100+
  • 291 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 02 November 2015 - 08:47 PM

If you can prove you've updated your testing recently (print-outs from your previous clinic) he won't make you redo it. We faxed ours in along with the incoming patient info. forms.

We had never done the DNA fragmentation, so we are doing that, but otherwise are up to date.

He will give you the option of further testing out of pocket, if you want to eliminate some possibilities for not having success. (ie. immune issues, recurrent pregnancy loss testing if applicable, etc.) But those are optional, and he will discuss them with you.

Good luck!!

PS. Once I actually had my consult booked, I was in easy contact with the clinic, often via email. I think before that time, they are dealing with lots of inquiries and commonly-asked questions that they don't want to handle the volume for - just being one of the top facilities in Canada and the long wait list to see the doctors. This was the only clinic I've looked into that does not provide any email addresses until you are booked in, and that makes you provide credit card info. in advance to charge you in case you don't show up for your first consult, due to the demand to see these doctors. I get it now that I'm there!!

#3 neen.

neen.
  • Global 100+
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:36 PM

Hi Kayte, 

Thanks for the reply. Wendy emailed me and told me what I could bring in, and what could wait. They seem really helpful! 

me: all tests normal, polycystic ovaries but not the syndrome, longer cycles (31 days) 

Nov 2014: laparoscopy. found mild endo, lasered it out and did some ovarian drilling

After 3 IUI's, several cycles of drugs+ timed intercourse, all BFN's and a lot of stress we went for a second opinion. 

June 2015- IVF#1: antagonist protocol (puregon, luveris, orgalutron).  mild OHSS so freeze-all cycle

Aug 2015- FET#1= BFN

pregnancy ultrasound 7w1d - saw two little peanuts! Baby A- 7w1d, 135 bpm, Baby B- 7w2d, 145 bpm! Can't believe we are going to have 2 little munchkins! Officially graduated from CFRH

#4 mirka

mirka
  • Global 100+
  • 128 posts
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Centre

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:52 AM

I also moved from Mt Sinai to Markham. I didn't re-do the blood tests either and we never did the DNA fragmentation test, I am not sure if Dr. V. forgot about it or if he didn't think it was necessary.

By the way, coming from Mount Sinai, you might find that they are not so well organized in MFC, they forget things from time to time. However, I believe that their equipment is better and I fully trust their lab (something I can't say about Mt. Sinai).

Me: 40 41 42; Partner: 44 45

IUI #1:  May, 2014, Clomd, Fresh, BFN

IUI #2: June, 2014, Gonal F, Frozen, BFN

IVF#1: July, 2014, Fresh, Estrogen priming, IFV & Rescue ICSI - 3 eggs fertilized naturally and 8 immature eggs matured in lab and fertilized with ICSI. The plan was to freeze the embryos on day 7, but none of them made it. Nothing to transfer.

IVF#2: Down regulation protocol. Will not take BCP to avoid higher dose medications.

Sep 3: Start Suprefact

Sep 27: ER 6 eggs, 4 mature and injected, 2 fertilized

Sep 30: ET 1 8-cell and 1 10-cell transferred, both grade 1

Oct 9:    Beta#1: 5 - BFN

Oct 14:  Beta#2: 0 - Chemical or BFN, not clear

IFV#3: No suppression, no BCP; 150 Gonal F and 150 Menopur

Nov 15: Start stimulation

Nov 26: ER 10 eggs, 10 mature and injected, 8 fertilized, 6 blasts, freeze all

Natural Pregnancy

Jan, 2015: BFP

Mar 2015: Miscarriage at ~8weeks, baby stopped developing at 6w1d

FET#3.1: May, 2015, Natural cycle, 2 5AA embryos, BFN

IVF#4: Jun 2015, ER 8 eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 PGS tested and frozen - abnormal

IFV#5 + FET#3.2: Combination of IVF and FET from ivf#3, 7 eggs, 1 euploid

FET resulted in BFN

FET#5.1: Oct 2015, 1 PGS day 5 perfect blast, 6dp5dt - implantation bleeding, 7dp5dt BFP, Chemical

IUI#X: Nov 2015, Gonal F, frozen, 2-3 follicles, BFN

#5 neen.

neen.
  • Global 100+
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:06 PM

Hi Mirka, 

Thanks for your reply. Can I ask you why you decided to switch from Mount Sinai to MFC? How long were you at Mount Sinai, and what kind of treatments did you have there before you decided to move on?

I'm also wondering if you got a different diagnosis at MFC from what they told you downtown and if so, what kind of interventions they did that were different from Mount Sinai? 

I'm "unexplained" and have done one IVF and 2 FET's at Mount Sinai. All BFN's. I'm not convinced I will switch to Markham since I live downtown and don't have a car, but if it seems that things are just not working at Mount Sinai, then I will consider it. I'm not sure if I should do one more IVF downtown and then give up and move on to Markham. I have 4 more embryos, 2 of which are being transferred in December. 

I would love to hear your thoughts! 

Thanks. 

Aug 2015- FET#1= BFN

#6 mirka

mirka
  • Global 100+
  • 128 posts
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Centre

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:08 PM

Hi Neen,

I used to work in downtown, but later switched jobs and moved to Markham. This was not the only reason. I did 2 IVFs at Mt Sinai. The very first IVF was a huge disappointment. I did so well for my age ( I was 40 then), 11 eggs retrieved, everything was perfect. However, I think they triggered me too early and tried to save the embryos by maturing them in the lab and growing them for 7 days, but eventually they stopped developing. My doctor was very nice and really treated me as a special case, but she was a fellow and I am afraid she was not experienced enough. Instead of admitting the mistake and suggesting the same protocol again, they suggested that I go for donor eggs first. Long story short, I wasted several months and a lot of money for nothing. I felt that I needed a doctor who knows what he is doing and whom I can trust.

I haven't been diagnosed with anything other than age, but that's the worst kind of diagnosis I guess.

Dr. Virro told me once that it's best to thaw the embryos at the same lab where they have been frozen, so definitely I would recommend that you transfer your remaining embryos at Mt. Sinai.

As for switching clinics, I don't feel strongly about either clinic. Convenience is very important with those frequent visits to the clinic. If I were you, knowing what I know today, I would stay at Mt. Sinai, but I would read about all possible protocols and make sure I am prescribed the right one. I would minimize the use of their lab by doing 3 day fresh transfers if possible. You are young, so hopefully it shouldn't take long before you get your BFP. Good luck with your transfer in December!

Me: 40 41 42; Partner: 44 45

IUI #1:  May, 2014, Clomd, Fresh, BFN

IUI #2: June, 2014, Gonal F, Frozen, BFN

IVF#1: July, 2014, Fresh, Estrogen priming, IFV & Rescue ICSI - 3 eggs fertilized naturally and 8 immature eggs matured in lab and fertilized with ICSI. The plan was to freeze the embryos on day 7, but none of them made it. Nothing to transfer.

IVF#2: Down regulation protocol. Will not take BCP to avoid higher dose medications.

Sep 3: Start Suprefact

Sep 27: ER 6 eggs, 4 mature and injected, 2 fertilized

Sep 30: ET 1 8-cell and 1 10-cell transferred, both grade 1

Oct 9:    Beta#1: 5 - BFN

Oct 14:  Beta#2: 0 - Chemical or BFN, not clear

IFV#3: No suppression, no BCP; 150 Gonal F and 150 Menopur

Nov 15: Start stimulation

Nov 26: ER 10 eggs, 10 mature and injected, 8 fertilized, 6 blasts, freeze all

Natural Pregnancy

Jan, 2015: BFP

Mar 2015: Miscarriage at ~8weeks, baby stopped developing at 6w1d

FET#3.1: May, 2015, Natural cycle, 2 5AA embryos, BFN

IVF#4: Jun 2015, ER 8 eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 PGS tested and frozen - abnormal

IFV#5 + FET#3.2: Combination of IVF and FET from ivf#3, 7 eggs, 1 euploid

FET resulted in BFN

FET#5.1: Oct 2015, 1 PGS day 5 perfect blast, 6dp5dt - implantation bleeding, 7dp5dt BFP, Chemical

IUI#X: Nov 2015, Gonal F, frozen, 2-3 follicles, BFN

#7 neen.

neen.
  • Global 100+
  • 132 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:12 AM

Hi Mirka, 

I think that Mount Sinai has done everything correctly for me thus far, as we were able to get 6 blasts from the first IVF process. We just have to get those embryos to stick but I'm not sure if they can do much more than they already have..

We are meeting with Dr. Virro in 2 weeks and I'm interested to see if he thinks immune treatments could help, but you're right in terms of convenience being important. I know that trying to trek to Markham will increase the stress of this whole process. 

I can't tell you how valuable your advice has been, thank you so much for sharing your story with me. Good luck to you! 

Aug 2015- FET#1= BFN

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: switching clinics