2 replies to this topic

#1 Highest hopes

Highest hopes
  • Global 100+
  • 588 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:McGill & ARTUS

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:44 PM

I've had frozen eggs at a clinic in Quebec for almost 10 yrs and that clinic will be moving locations soon. Should I buy any insurance so that if anything goes wrong, there is some coverage or would there be automatic liability? I.e. I could sue if there is any accident on their part.

Also I might end up moving them to another clinic to use them. Would I buy insurance for that and do you think it's best to hire a medical company to move them rather than ourselves? Apparently some people do transport them themselves, in a tank that is rented from the clinics.

Thanks
Dx: Age (40+) & Endometriosis & Tubal & DNA fragmentation

IUI & IVF & FET = BFN
Pinterest: pinterest.com/aquablueglow

#2 SherryLevitan

SherryLevitan
  • Advisor
  • 104 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:54 PM

Hi,

All good questions. If your eggs were frozen 10 years ago, they weren't vitrified and there is a significant risk of damage to the eggs as a result whether they are moved or not. Have you discussed using the eggs with your clinic? Would it be appropriate to thaw them and create embryos yet? I have always been told that your greatest chance of success is to freeze and thaw in the same clinic.

I am unaware of any insurance that you could buy to guarantee the safe transport of the eggs. If the clinic moves them, their liability insurance should cover the loss. However, the amount of damages may be very limited. The difficulty is proving that the eggs were damaged in transport and not damaged prior to or after the move itself. Please confirm with the clinic that they do carry liability insurance, and that it would cover any damage to the eggs. 

I'm not the right person to ask about the risks of transporting eggs yourself. The clinic embryologist may have some greater insights. 

#3 Highest hopes

Highest hopes
  • Global 100+
  • 588 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:McGill & ARTUS

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:17 PM

Hi Sherry,
Thanks for the advice.
The eggs were vitrified, even though it was a very new technology then.

Yes we will be using them soon.
However, that clinic doesn't offer embryo testing, which is why moving them is being suggested even though it makes me nervous.
We were told we would need to rent a tank from the clinic and then transport them by car to another clinic within the same city.

I will ask them about liability insurance.

Thanks
Dx: Age (40+) & Endometriosis & Tubal & DNA fragmentation

IUI & IVF & FET = BFN
Pinterest: pinterest.com/aquablueglow