• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jason

Jason
  • 6 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 15 October 2015 - 12:08 PM

Hello everyone,

My wife and I have been trying to conceive for the past 4 years but we have been doing allot of drinking and partying and figured that might of had something to do with not conceiving.

She is 31 and I am 44, she gets her regular cycles and she went to get a check up to see if she could conceive. The doctors said everything appeared to be ok for her. So I figured maybe it had something to do with me, so I scheduled a Semen Analysis.

I did some moderate to heavy drinking throughout the week prior to the test and I am now wondering if the alcohol is significantly effecting my numbers. 

If the numbers are not low due to alcohol related, are we still able to do IUI or IVF / ICSI with my low numbers?

Date: 10/08/2015  

Time 12:20P

SEMEN ANALYSIS

Volume:  1.0 L  ml

Color:  Normal

Liquefaction Time:  <  50  min

Viscosity:  Significant Stringing

Concentration:

Motile:  0.2  L  million/ml

Total:  5.5  L   million/ml

Motility:  4  L  %

Forward Progression:

0%  rapid

0%  moderate

50% sluggish

50% non-progressive

Quality of Progression:  2  L

Round Cells:  1  million/ml

Leukocytes:  n/a

pH: n/a

Comments:

Sample syringed prior to testing, due to increased viscosity. 9% viable present.

Morphology:  0  L  % Normal Forms

#2 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Site Admin
  • 12,863 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:05 PM

Hello Jason,

Welcome to the community and I am sorry to hear about your struggles building a family.

While I cannot speak to the SA information, some would say that alcohol consumption and/or other recreation activities can have an impact on things like eggs and SA results. Therefore leading a healthier lifestyle can help improve one's general quality of life and touch on other areas of our general and reproductive health.

Also, it's my understanding that the results can fluctuate, depending on circumstances. 

When we were TTC, my husband made some lifestyle changes and it did have a positive impact on his SA results and his general health. I also made some changes, too.

It sounds like you and your wife are on the same page in terms of working towards building a family and this is good. Sometimes a "Mars/Venus" divide happens, but creating a family is really about partnership and it sounds like both of you have that covered, so it makes it easier to face this together. 

it takes about 3 months for a man to generate a new batch of "swimmers" so if certain activities are playing a role, there is some time to allow any new changes to work their way through the system.

The other thing is, sometimes with infertility there are a number of moving parts, and sometimes it's hard for the doctors to know the exact reasons why it is hard for a couple to conceive. 

In any case I want to wish you all the best as you move forward.

:wavey:

• Ola1981, CdnHockeyGal, lumnay and 1 other like this

#3 Jason

Jason
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:28 PM

Thank you for your reply. This is so nerve racking and we are now making the lifestyle changes necessary to conceive.

I look forward to hopefully getting more input on our situation.

• gibasgirl likes this

#4 smurfette_w

smurfette_w
  • Cyclebase
  • 2,457 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:11 PM

Hi jason, your numbers seem really low, almost as low as my DH's.  Have you seen a urologist?  Turned out that DH had a varicocele and had them removed (he had two), the numbers improved a bit but not much.  He did a lot of drinking and smoking in his younger years, and had a poor diet even to today because he travels a lot.  The urologist seemed to think that it was hereditary.  I suggest you see a urologist (or get a referral to see one if you haven't already) just to rule out a possible varicocele, which requires a day surgery to correct.  Your numbers right now should still make it possible for you to do ICSI, but pretty sure IUI and IVF would not be recommended.

You can PM me if you want more info.  Good luck!

• gibasgirl, CdnHockeyGal and Jason like this

Me: genetic issues
DH: genetic issues, MFI

TTC since Summer 2009

See my profile for details

#5 Jason

Jason
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:12 PM

Thank you smurfette, I will pm you shortly after work, thanks!!!

• gibasgirl likes this

#6 Jason

Jason
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 12:07 AM

We met with the doctor (43 years in this practice) and I mentioned I was concerned about varicocele and he said that varicocele reducing sperm count is a myth. He showed us many studies that shows it doesn't affect sperm count and the only reason doctors do it is for money. The sperm count changes month to month as part of human nature and this is why when some people get the surgery done and then tested again and the numbers differ due to the natural way. There are so many factors that change sperm count. So what I am doing is spending the next 3 months living a healthier lifestyle, no drinking, eating better and more exercise and retesting.

He was positive about my low numbers and doing IVF and mentioned we have a 60% probability of conceiving.

• smurfette_w likes this

#7 smurfette_w

smurfette_w
  • Cyclebase
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:09 AM

This is the first I've ever heard of a varicocele not affecting sperm count?   I do know they can be uncomfortable and painful for some, so doctors recommend surgery for them.

Hmm, looking it up, it mentions that some believe that varicoceles may increase testicular temperature, which is why it is suspected that it can affect sperm count, so I guess everything about wearing boxers and avoiding hot tubs is also a myth?  Anyway, very interesting to me.

Is the 60% conceiving without IVF (or ICSI)?  That's a pretty high percentage if no IVF.  And yes, live healthier.  Good luck!!

Me: genetic issues
DH: genetic issues, MFI

TTC since Summer 2009

See my profile for details

#8 JennyAnne

JennyAnne
  • Global 100+
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:45 AM

Not sure about the alcohol consumption, but regarding varicocele - My husband's numbers were .7 mil and low motility. He saw one of the best urologists here. He said the surgery wouldn't necessarily improve his numbers, but that it would help keep them from getting worse. He did the surgery, conceived after a few ivf rounds with icsi. That was 5 years ago and he hasn't gotten another semen analysis in years but we conceived naturally earlier this year. Our doctors said there was a less than 1% chance we'd ever conceive on our own. I don't know what else changed. He was never a big drinker or smoker, exercised fairly regularly etc. I think it can't hurt to see a urologist and see what they say. You may not even have a varicocele. Good luck to you and your wife!
  • smurfette_w likes this

TTC for 2+ years
Male factor infertility
IVF/ICSI - 11/2009 BFN (Froze 6)
IVF/ICSI - 02/2010 Chemical pg
IVF/ICSI - 05/2010 BFN
FET - 08/25/2010 transferred 3 embies
1st Beta - 09/08/2010 288.7
2nd Beta - 09/10/2010 941
3rd Beta - 09/13/2010 2,859
I AM PREGNANT!!!
U/S - 09/22/2010

CALEB ISAAC born 5/26/11

#9 Jason

Jason
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:09 AM

This is the first I've ever heard of a varicocele not affecting sperm count?   I do know they can be uncomfortable and painful for some, so doctors recommend surgery for them.

Hmm, looking it up, it mentions that some believe that varicoceles may increase testicular temperature, which is why it is suspected that it can affect sperm count, so I guess everything about wearing boxers and avoiding hot tubs is also a myth?  Anyway, very interesting to me.

Is the 60% conceiving without IVF (or ICSI)?  That's a pretty high percentage if no IVF.  And yes, live healthier.  Good luck!!

Thanks smurfette! The 60% conceiving is with IVF and ICSI combined. He showed us multiple studies with 950 patients that had varicocele and conceived along with many of them having testing done before and after surgery and numbers slightly dropping and raising after surgery. Basically a man can have different readings at different times due to natural chemistry changes in the body.

• smurfette_w likes this

#10 Jason

Jason
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:14 AM

Not sure about the alcohol consumption, but regarding varicocele - My husband's numbers were .7 mil and low motility. He saw one of the best urologists here. He said the surgery wouldn't necessarily improve his numbers, but that it would help keep them from getting worse. He did the surgery, conceived after a few ivf rounds with icsi. That was 5 years ago and he hasn't gotten another semen analysis in years but we conceived naturally earlier this year. Our doctors said there was a less than 1% chance we'd ever conceive on our own. I don't know what else changed. He was never a big drinker or smoker, exercised fairly regularly etc. I think it can't hurt to see a urologist and see what they say. You may not even have a varicocele. Good luck to you and your wife!

Thank you! That is great news about you conceiving naturally after IVF and gives us hope! I saw one of the best urologists out here that really takes pride in working with infertile males. I guess from what I have been hearing is that urologists don't like getting involved with infertile men.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alcohol, IVF, ICSI, Infertile, Semen Analysis