Photo
- - - - -

Recommendations for a compact secondary stroller please!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ENF

ENF
  • 1000+
  • 1,408 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Centre

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:17 PM

We currently have the UPPAbaby Vista but want a small, lightweight stroller for travelling or throwing in the back of the car for quick trips. My top requirements are lightweight, folds up easily, doesn't take up much space, good quality. Budget is up to $350. All suggestions welcome! Thank you.

Me - 37   DH - 45 (Paraplegic)   

FET planned for spring 2017

#2 Butterfli

Butterfli
  • Super Moderator
  • 843 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Fertility East

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:27 PM

If you don't mind that it isn't parent facing maybe a second hand mountain buggy nano? Even a second hand bugaboo bee compacts all in one, light, parent/forward facing.
I mean the best would be the babyzen yoyo but no doubt a bit out of budget but they fold up to the size of a handbag and are super light.

Sorry I don't know if I've been much help ?! :)

Me 30 DW 34 - Two mummies to be! I'll carry my wife's egg so we can blend our family

First IVF Cycle

March 2012 Fresh - BFN

April 2012 FET- BFN

May 2012 FET- BFP - M/c6w6d icon_cry.gif

Second IVF Cycle

August 31 Fresh- th_abfp.gif

1st Beta 265 (TG) 11dp3dt

Sep 8 - 2nd Beta 8751 18dp3dt

Sep 15 - 3rd Beta - 43066 25dp3dt

babyboy.gif DS is born the 4th of May 2013 and we are so smitten!

stork-baby.gifProject Sibling stork-baby.gif

Me - 32 DW - 36 DS - 1

Second IVF Cycle

April 2014 FET - BFN 

Third IVF Cycle

July 2014 Fresh - th_abfp.gif

1st Beta 105 (TG) 9dp5dt

2nd Beta 1150 14dp5dt

Third Beta 12470 21dp5dt

babyboy.gif DS is born 7th of March 2015 and he is so precious.

stork-baby.gifProject Siblingstork-baby.gif 

Planning in 2016

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans

#3 Merry33

Merry33
  • 1000+
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:53 PM

I did a lot of research into umbrella strollers because we have a very clunky (and crappy) big stroller (had to buy it within a few hours and therefore just grabbed the first one we liked from Toys'r'Us). We got the Uppababy G-Luxe, and I've been very happy with it. It is the only umbrella stroller that has a cup holder (that was important to me, lol), and it's super light weight, has a great canopy, and is very good quality. We brought it on several flights and will bring it on another one to Europe in the summer, and it has never been an issue (we always gate-check it).

If you're happy with the Vista, I'd go with the G-luxe. It's not the cheapest but within your price range.

And yeah, it's pretty much the only stroller I've used since the snow disappeared as it's so much easier to bring/store.

#4 Super Mama

Super Mama
  • 87 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Mt Sinai

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:58 PM

Yes I'd agree with the G Luxe recommendation. I love my G Luxe am dreading the day I have to put it away for good. I learned a lesson by not buying a good umbrella stroller right away. We got a cheap umbrella stroller(about $75) and I hated it. My hubby hated it because he kept kicking the wheels but that's not a problem with the Uppa. It really is overall a good quality stroller.

#5 smurfette_w

smurfette_w
  • Cyclebase
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:23 AM

I looked only at the g-luxe and the maclaren quest, but went with the maclaren instead mainly because it has a better basket on the bottom, seemed sturdier than the g-luxe, and has a full recline which the g-luxe did not.  The g-luxe will stand on its own when folded, which is a really good feature that the maclaren doesn't have.  Weight is almost the same.

Me: genetic issues
DH: genetic issues, MFI

TTC since Summer 2009

See my profile for details

#6 Merry33

Merry33
  • 1000+
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:24 AM

Yeah, the basket of the G-luxe is not awesome. Ours does recline though to an almost fully flat position. Maybe the earlier model didn't? Tbh I've only ever used the reclined position twice or so though.

#7 Kayte

Kayte
  • Global 100+
  • 281 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:16 AM

We've borrowed the G-Luke (we have the Vista too) and it's an amazing umbrella stroller. But as we still need a diaper bag and room for things on excursions we also use a Baby Jogger we got at a garage sale. It has the basket underneath (not as big as Vista but beats umbrella) and of course they have the most easiest collapse feature ever. I'm not sure of the price or model though - it's not as big as the Select and I view it as in between the Vista and an umbrella.

#8 ENF

ENF
  • 1000+
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:28 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! 

Butterfli - that Babyzen yoyo looks amazing! I'd definitely splurge for it if I find it works best for us. I'll have to find a store in Canada that sells them so I can try it out.

I'll also check out the UPPAbaby G-luxe too. It looks nice, especially with the cupholder. I do like my Vista but it's SO big and not super easy to pack around from car/van to shopping centre or whatever. I'll check out the Maclaren too. A big basket is nice to have. 

For those of you that have the 2015 Vista, have you managed it get it to stand on its own? I can't seem to figure out how to biggrin.png . That feature on the G-luxe is a plus.

#9 Super Mama

Super Mama
  • 87 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Mt Sinai

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:33 PM

My G Luxe reclines almost flat. My daughter can sleep in it very comfortable even now as a toddler. The only thing that bugs me is that it's very tippy if you hang and bags on the handles. Maclarens are really nice too. If you don't want an umbrella stroller a City Mini is an awesome choice. Very space conscious when folded.
I'm not sure what Baby Jogger is like to deal with regarding any issues or warranties but I've had no problem with Uppa. My big stroller is a Peg Perego but I haven't used it in two yrs maybe. Big strollers are great for small children and infants but just not practical for every day on the subway or shopping. The only thing I'd love to have with my G Luxe is a boogie board type thing. Uppa doesn't make one for it and maybe it's not sturdy enough for one.
Soon my daughter will de done in a stroller and I'm not going to have another child but I'm never getting rid of my G Luxe! My best piece of baby gear!

#10 ENF

ENF
  • 1000+
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:50 PM

I just wanted to update and say that I ended up buying the  2015 Uppababy G-luxe. I absolutely love it! It's not as compact as a less expensive umbrella stroller but the quality is excellent and it fits easily into my trunk. The recline is great, I routinely use the cup holder, it rolls easily and maneuvers well. The only thing that I wish Uppababy would improve, on both this stroller and the Vista, is the straps for securing baby. The straps are narrow. I often find her sitting askew (in both strollers), with one leg slipping out of the straps. They also cut into her neck and leave red marks. I find it odd that they haven't provided a wider, triangular-shapped crotch piece like many strollers. I'd also love it if they provided shoulder cushioning. 

#11 s00n

s00n
  • 1000+
  • 1,239 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:48 AM

I love stroller talk - I know this is an old thread but for anyone looking for similar I love the Peg Perego Pliko. It lays flat, so you can diaper change in there, and the hood is amazing. The basket is good, it's not tippy, and it stands on its own. :)

• ENF likes this
Him- Potential SA issues Me- PCOS like crazy/anovulation/long cycles. Started TTC before 30. TTC/Secondary Infertility(2008-2015) - Adopted from public system in Ontario 2012. Freeze-All IVF after OHSS, and successful FET 2015 @ 36Yrs Old.