#1 Ola1981

Ola1981
  • Cyclebase
  • 927 posts
  • Interests:Reading, cooking, golf, knitting
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Aurora Reproductive Care Saskatoon

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:43 AM

I was wondering if there is any data to support accupuncture for FET.  I had a chemical pregnancy with my first IVF (no accupunture) and my son with our second IVF (accupuncture once a week for about 8 months plus before and after embryo transfer).  I've just had another chemical pregnancy with our first FET and I am wondering if accupunture is something I should consider for my second FET coming up.  Would it be enough to just go the day of embryo transfer? Or do i have to have a few weeks of accupunture on board to have any benefit?  I just re-started my estrace today and am transfering again in about 3 weeks so I don't have a lot of time to play with....

Thanks in advance for any information you may have!

Ola

See about me for details of our journey to become parents to 2 beautiful children

#2 Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

• Cyclebase
  • 1,414 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Canada

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:38 AM

For both my successful pregnancies, I did acupuncture for 1 month prior and I did a session before and after transfer.

May 2013 - We welcome our baby boy 

Nov. 28th 2015 - We welcome our baby girl

3 day 3 embryos on ice 

For a more detailed look on my cycles, visit my 'about me' page

#3 Dr. Brown FABORM

Dr. Brown FABORM
  • Advisor
  • 340 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Acubalance

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:01 AM

There is one study showing a higher live birth rate (this is a better measurement then pregnancy rate) when transdermal electrostim was applied for 3 cycles before the FET transfer.

They suspect it is related to the increased blood flow.

If you recently started your estrace I would recommend Electrostim acupuncture (EA) twice per week until transfer.

Choose an acupuncturist who is familiar with the studies to increase blood flow and with FET because the wrong frequency of EA can reduce the blood flow and we are looking to increase.

Good luck.
Lorne Brown B.Sc.,CA, Dr.TCM, FABORM, CHt
Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Clinical Hypnotherapist
Founder and Clinical Director Acubalance Wellness Centre (British Columbia)
www.acubalance.ca
www.ifsymposium.com
604-678-8600

#4 Meary

Meary
  • 1000+
  • 1,156 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Crochet/Knitting/Sewing, Vespas, Horror Movies, My Job, Camping, Music
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Foothills RFP

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:04 AM

What he said ^ ;)

Out of 3 FETs, only the last one where I did acupuncture worked (electro-stim and I did it for more than just a couple sessions).  May be a coincidence, but even if it hadn't worked I would have done it again.  I find it very relaxing.

• Dr. Brown FABORM likes this

See Profile / About me page.

#5 Dr. Brown FABORM

Dr. Brown FABORM
  • Advisor
  • 340 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:32 AM

I have updated a page on Acubalance discussing FET and using acupuncture to help with increased live births

More IVF clinics are choosing to transfer Frozen blastocysts instead of fresh embryos because

1. of the advancement in CCS/PGD (screening embryos for normal chromosomes)
  2. of vitrification (latest Freezing technique)  which has better successful thaw rates of embryos
  3. calmer uterus.  In a nomal cycle it is not common to have such high levels of hormones or trauma (Removing eggs from the ovaries requires surgery that punctures through the vaginal wall and poking at the ovary) 

Since FET can lead to higher pregnancy rates because of the 3 points listed above it is more common now for women to have a FET and appears to be the future of IVF as cost comes down for CCS/PGD

Here is what we currently recommend for FET support

Lorne

www.acubalance.ca
www.ifsymposium.com
604-678-8600

#6 WishinNhopin

WishinNhopin
  • Global 100+
  • 774 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Mt. Sinai fertility Clinic

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:51 AM

I want to confirm that it is ok to do acupuncture leading up to transfer (fet) & after? Im waiting on my period to arrive so i can start my fet. I started going twice last week..once the week prior due to scheduling issues but have appts set for every tuesdsy and Thursday until I was confirmed ok to continue.

A little about me:

I am 30 yrs old with blocked tubes. I have very short cycles but pretty much on time other then since starting ivf it seems to have gotten longer by a day or 2. Weve had a failed fertilization in nov & a failed fresh transfer after back to back ivf cycles. My avg cycle is 23 days and is quite heavy and full of cramps. Some days I've felt like I'll pass out from hot flashes...I really hope my acupuncturist knows what she's doing because you just never know. She's the only person for about an hour radius that does fertility acupuncture. She wanted to be a Dr but due to family suggestion she chose acupuncture and went to the school of Chinese medicine in bejing. Any advice would be great!

#7 Dr. Brown FABORM

Dr. Brown FABORM
  • Advisor
  • 340 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

Hi Wishinhopin

Yes, acupuncture can help with uterine receptivity and increase live births

Here are two blogs about acupuncture for implantation for FET and CCS-FET

http://acubalance.ca...fresh-transfers

http://acupuncturepr...n-of-an-embryo/

Good luck

www.acubalance.ca
www.ifsymposium.com
604-678-8600