5 replies to this topic

#1 nicgro

nicgro
  • Global 100+
  • 173 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:LHSC

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:33 AM

Hi there, I just recently started looking into surrogacy. In my opinion, I am a barrel of problems physically, yet I'm sure I don't have it near as bad as many of the women on this site. I have been struggling with endometriosis pain and crippling periods for a long time now. I am constantly getting cysts and fibroids, bleeding and spotting almost daily, and now I have been suffering with bowel problems (considered to be linked to possibly bowel endo) for the past 8 months.

My formal diagnoses have been PCOS, endometriosis (though in all my surgeries I have never been told a stage) and a blocked tube. I have done approximately 8 or 9 cycles of clomid and never ovulated, and 1 IVF cycle. I have had 1 fresh transfer and 1 frozen with no success. I know that's not much, but I just feel like I am done. I have been feeling so unwell and in so much pain, I just want it to be over. I am set to see a new gynecologist for "a different opinion", and I really just want to see if I can have a hysterectomy.

I guess I am wondering, is too soon for me to consider a surrogate? Will I look and sound like a crazy person if I am already wanting to throw in the towel? The other thing I am wondering is if someone can be a surrogate if they are overweight? My sister in-law is really the only person I know of who would be willing to do it for us (aside of going to an agency of course) and she is heavier. In my research I have read that this could be a problem.

Also, if I did take this path, where do I start? I am still really in the "research stage" so I am not sure what to do, where to go, how much it will cost or if I can even do this.

Any info or advice anyone can provide would be really appreciated.

Thanks so much :)

IVF #1

Oct 1, 2014 - 14 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 8 fertilized, 5 make it to blast

Oct 6, 2014 - Transfer 1 beautiful 4AA blast and freeze the remaining 4

Oct 15, 2014 - Start bleeding sad.png

Oct 17, 2014 - First Beta = 6   I know it's over, clinic is still trying to be positive

Oct 19, 2014 - Second Beta = 2  BFN

Oct 27, 2014 - Laparoscopy for Endo and ovarian cysts

FET #1

Feb 9, 2015 - Transfer 1 blast...clinic can't tell me the quality...isn't that weird?

Feb 22, 2015 - Beta = BFN sad.png

April 16, 2015 - Surgery to remove multiple uterine fibroids

Aug 24, 2015 - Take 3 month injection of Lupron Depot to try to help with endo pain/bleeding

Nov 24, 2015 - Take another 3 month injection of Lupron Depot

Feb 24, 2016 - Blood work and ultrasound. Was going to start prepping for FET, but thyroid is very low so need to increase meds before transfer

May 2, 2016 - start Estrace to prepare for FET (FET scheduled for May 18)

FET #2

May 18, 2016 - Transfer 1 blast...again not told what quality it is. Lose one blast in the thaw.

May 31, 2016 - BFN - I ask clinic what is going on and why this isn't working. They schedule me for a biopsy and sono.

June 9, 2016 - Biopsy and Sono performed. They find fibroids in my uterus and book surgery.

June 14, 2016 - Surgery to remove uterine fibroids

FET #3

September 20, 2016 - Transfer our final blast...stick baby stick

October 3, 2016 - BFN. I have never felt so broken in my life. Not sure I can continue on this journey, but must make a decision as just hours after getting my BFN, I get a call from my clinic saying that they made an error with my government funding and if I was going to continue, I must pay  everything back!!!

December 8, 2016 - Here we are again! Sono and biopsy to prepare for IVF #2 in January! They see something very small forming in my uterus, not large enough to operate on at this point though.

December 19, 2016 - Start Birth Control to prepare for next cycle.

January 7, 2017 - Have ultrasound done, everything looks good to move forward. Stop BC Pill.

IVF #2

January 23, 2017 - 12 Eggs retrieved, all mature, 7 fertilized

January 28, 2017 - Transfer 1 little 3AB blast, 5 still hanging in there and hope to freeze them tomorrow

#2 BoyWonder

BoyWonder
  • 71 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:36 AM

Only you know how much pain you have already gone through, therefore no one can tell you you are throwing in the towel too soon or not. Surgery such as a hysterectomy is a very, very "final, close the door" type of surgery, so just make sure you are ready for such a decision because once you've done it, there's no going back. That being said, living with agonizing crippling pain day in and day out affects your life day and night, so my sympathies to you. Whatever decision you make, I wish you all the best flow.gif

• gibasgirl and ociwoman like this

#3 ilovemydogs

ilovemydogs
  • Cyclebase
  • 4806 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:53 AM

nicgro - Although I can't give advice on whether to proceed since it's such a personal topic, I do feel for you as we have many of the same issues (fibroids, cysts, endo, PCOS). I was at the point of looking for a surrogate a year ago and decided on a one last kick at my own uterus. One of the embryos ended up implanting, but only for a few months. So I've stuck it out with another transfer - BFN. After the BFN, I decided it was time to move on for a second opinion and was told it was still possible with my own uterus so I'm going to try at least one more time but with PGS and some tweaks to my protocol. 

I would recommend though that you get a second opinion from another RE before you reach a final decision. 

• gibasgirl and ociwoman like this
Finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

See "About Me" for details.

#4 mountainchick

mountainchick
  • Global 100+
  • 614 posts
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:50 PM

I don't know where you are located, but I would highly recommend a consult with Dr Catherine Allaire at Women's Hospital in Vancouver. She is one of the top surgeons in North America that specializes in pelvic pain/ endo and used to do ivf treatments too. I had 3 different consults and decided to go with her for my pelvic surgery. She told me with confidence it was very possible to carry a baby to term and she was right. Even my RE and some other surgeons were not sure. Dr Allaire told me to hold off on surrogacy but I went against her advice and tried a surrogate and she got a bfn. I then tried on my own again after my surgery recovery time and it stuck.

I wish the best of luck to you! You've got a difficult decision!
  • gibasgirl likes this

TTC since I was 28; Started fertility treatments at 35.

Dx: Male factor, Hashimotos, fibroids

April 2011-13 eggs retrieved: all dead except 1 immature egg that was ICSI'd; no embryos to transfer

Switched from Calgary RFP to VFC

IVF#2: November 2012, donor egg cycle- chemical pregnancy

FET#1: Feb 2013- m/c @ 6 weeks

Sept 2013: Abdominal myomectomy done. Giant fibroids removed with my uterus intact! I love Dr. Allaire!

January 2014: Surrogacy- FET cycle, BFN.

FET#2: May 2014-BFP

May 26 beta=335,  May 28 beta=812, May 30 beta=2004          

Baby girl born January 2015 heart.gif

#5 mountainchick

mountainchick
  • Global 100+
  • 614 posts
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:03 PM

I also wanted to add that my clinic does cycles with overweight people however I believe in some cases he recommends weight loss. Best to ask your RE about that. It's not everyday that someone is willing to be a surrogate altruistically.
  • gibasgirl likes this

TTC since I was 28; Started fertility treatments at 35.

Dx: Male factor, Hashimotos, fibroids

April 2011-13 eggs retrieved: all dead except 1 immature egg that was ICSI'd; no embryos to transfer

Switched from Calgary RFP to VFC

IVF#2: November 2012, donor egg cycle- chemical pregnancy

FET#1: Feb 2013- m/c @ 6 weeks

Sept 2013: Abdominal myomectomy done. Giant fibroids removed with my uterus intact! I love Dr. Allaire!

January 2014: Surrogacy- FET cycle, BFN.

FET#2: May 2014-BFP

May 26 beta=335,  May 28 beta=812, May 30 beta=2004          

Baby girl born January 2015 heart.gif

#6 nicgro

nicgro
  • Global 100+
  • 173 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:LHSC

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for your advice ladies. Mountainchick, unfortunately I am in Ontario so a little to far to travel to BC.

I have made an appointment for a second opinion and actually go in next week. Hopefully I can get things sorted out soon.

IVF #1

Oct 1, 2014 - 14 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 8 fertilized, 5 make it to blast

Oct 6, 2014 - Transfer 1 beautiful 4AA blast and freeze the remaining 4

Oct 15, 2014 - Start bleeding sad.png

Oct 17, 2014 - First Beta = 6   I know it's over, clinic is still trying to be positive

Oct 19, 2014 - Second Beta = 2  BFN

Oct 27, 2014 - Laparoscopy for Endo and ovarian cysts

FET #1

Feb 9, 2015 - Transfer 1 blast...clinic can't tell me the quality...isn't that weird?

Feb 22, 2015 - Beta = BFN sad.png

April 16, 2015 - Surgery to remove multiple uterine fibroids

Aug 24, 2015 - Take 3 month injection of Lupron Depot to try to help with endo pain/bleeding

Nov 24, 2015 - Take another 3 month injection of Lupron Depot

Feb 24, 2016 - Blood work and ultrasound. Was going to start prepping for FET, but thyroid is very low so need to increase meds before transfer

May 2, 2016 - start Estrace to prepare for FET (FET scheduled for May 18)

FET #2

May 18, 2016 - Transfer 1 blast...again not told what quality it is. Lose one blast in the thaw.

May 31, 2016 - BFN - I ask clinic what is going on and why this isn't working. They schedule me for a biopsy and sono.

June 9, 2016 - Biopsy and Sono performed. They find fibroids in my uterus and book surgery.

June 14, 2016 - Surgery to remove uterine fibroids

FET #3

September 20, 2016 - Transfer our final blast...stick baby stick

October 3, 2016 - BFN. I have never felt so broken in my life. Not sure I can continue on this journey, but must make a decision as just hours after getting my BFN, I get a call from my clinic saying that they made an error with my government funding and if I was going to continue, I must pay  everything back!!!

December 8, 2016 - Here we are again! Sono and biopsy to prepare for IVF #2 in January! They see something very small forming in my uterus, not large enough to operate on at this point though.

December 19, 2016 - Start Birth Control to prepare for next cycle.

January 7, 2017 - Have ultrasound done, everything looks good to move forward. Stop BC Pill.

IVF #2

January 23, 2017 - 12 Eggs retrieved, all mature, 7 fertilized

January 28, 2017 - Transfer 1 little 3AB blast, 5 still hanging in there and hope to freeze them tomorrow