4 replies to this topic

#1 Emmy1

Emmy1
  • 73 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:McGill

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:00 PM

Hi,

It has been 3 months since my D&C and I haven't had a period since. I miscarried naturally but had retained tissue so had to take Misoprostol which gave me horrible cramps but no bleeding. I ended up having to do a D&C. 

I chart and take OPK's so when I ovulated 22 days later I thought I was back on track. On 15DPO, exactly when my period was due, I got major cramps but no bleeding, not even spotting. That lasted two days and then nothing. My chart still looked textbook, low pre-O, positive OPK then high post-O but no bleeding. I went to see the doctor on CD9 of the next "cycle" and he did an U/S. My lining was 4.9mm and nothing looked out of the ordinary so he thought it was a hormone problem and prescribed me estrace for 14 days followed by estrace and progesterone for 7 days. He said I should bleed a few days after stopping the pills. I did ovulate that cycle, but again, I got major AF type cramps at the end of it, but no bleeding. I'm currently in my 3rd "cycle" post d&c and I seem to have ovulated yet again. I'm 9DPO today and I'm scheduled for an office hysteroscopy next week to check (and probably confirm) that there is scarring that is causing my missed periods. 

I am so scared. Part of me is praying that it is only the cervix that is scarred and the Dr. will be able to remove it right there and then and the other part of me is fearing the worst. It's hard to believe that after all this, I am one of the less than 10% that get Asherman's syndrome and after just one simple aspiration D&C! Does anyone have a similar experience and/or thoughts?

Me: 35 DH: 35

Dx: DH: Low Count (1M), Low Motility; Me: DOR

TTC 2.5 years

Jan 2014: IVF/ICSI #1: BFN

April 2014: IVF/ICSI #2: BFN

Sept 2014: FET #1: BFP but slow rising low betas and bleeding; M/C @ 6.5 weeks sad.png

Nov 2014; US shows retained tissue, 2 doses of Misoprostol unsuccessful, D&C Dec 2014 

Mar 2015: No period since D&C but normal ovulation and AF cramps. Office hysteroscopy reveals cervix is scarred shut; scar tissue successfully removed during procedure.

April 2015: IVF/ICSI #3: BFP!! smile.png 11dp5dt Beta 543!

6w2d: Viability scan reveals gestational sac, yolk sac and fetal pole! Heartbeat is just starting but can be seen on US! Measuring 3 days behind at 5w6d so follow-up scan in 5 days.

7w: Still measuring 3 days behind at 6w4d but heart rate can now be measured (125bpm).

11w: Heartbeat over 150bpm and saw the baby's arms moving! Such a beautiful sight!

13w2d: First prenatal and NT Scan...heard heartbeat for the first time (166 bpm)...NT measurements look good according to tech!

17w2d: Monthly OB-Gyn appointment: NT results are  low risk (1:1500) no further testing required...so relieved! Doppler shows strong HB!

20w2d: Anatomy Scan...

DUekm4.png

#2 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:31 PM

I know it's hard, but try not to get ahead of yourself. It may just be that your body isn't cooperating for some unknown and weird reason.

I hope you get some better news than what you are preparing for....

See about me page.

#3 Clairey

Clairey
  • Global 100+
  • 249 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:34 PM

So sorry for your loss :( What a rough experience.

The women I know of personally who had to have D and Cs, all had a wait time to get their periods back. Two of my friends, at 6 months post, went to fertility acupuncture and swear that was the trick. I think the third got hers back around the same time. I'm not sure how standard that amount of time is and I'm sure everyone's different. For me, I didn't need to have a D and C as it happened naturally and earlier but it was a couple of months.

Wishing you the best!

#4 Emmy1

Emmy1
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:08 PM

Thanks for the well wishes. I actually started acupuncture about a month ago in preparation for the next IVF cycle so hopefully that helps. Even the acupuncturist who is very experienced in fertility and TCM pretty much said there must be a "blockage" since you are definitely ovulating.

I will be sure to come back and update next week. Fingers crossed!

TTC 2.5 years

Sept 2014: FET #1: BFP but slow rising low betas and bleeding; M/C @ 6.5 weeks sad.png

Nov 2014; US shows retained tissue, 2 doses of Misoprostol unsuccessful, D&C Dec 2014 

Mar 2015: No period since D&C but normal ovulation and AF cramps. Office hysteroscopy reveals cervix is scarred shut; scar tissue successfully removed during procedure.

6w2d: Viability scan reveals gestational sac, yolk sac and fetal pole! Heartbeat is just starting but can be seen on US! Measuring 3 days behind at 5w6d so follow-up scan in 5 days.

7w: Still measuring 3 days behind at 6w4d but heart rate can now be measured (125bpm).

11w: Heartbeat over 150bpm and saw the baby's arms moving! Such a beautiful sight!

13w2d: First prenatal and NT Scan...heard heartbeat for the first time (166 bpm)...NT measurements look good according to tech!

17w2d: Monthly OB-Gyn appointment: NT results are  low risk (1:1500) no further testing required...so relieved! Doppler shows strong HB!

DUekm4.png

#5 Emmy1

Emmy1
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:26 PM

Update: I had my hysteroscopy which confirmed that my cervix was completely scarred shut! Thankfully, the Dr. was able to remove the scarring during the procedure and my uterus looked fine (no scarring beyond cervix). So, although I have been ovulating since my D&C, the shed lining was not able to come out during my 2 "periods" that I should have got during that time. Instead, some of it got re-absorbed by my body and some came out during the procedure. The procedure itself was no more painful than the first time I had it done, but I was also on better pain meds this time.

I got my period right on schedule 2 days after the procedure (which I think was 15DPO based on by BBT chart). The Dr. prescribed me 4 weeks of Estrace followed by 1 week of Provera to help build my lining back up in case it was damaged during the removal of the scarring. I can start my next IVF at the next cycle which should be mid-April. 

My advice to all is to always go with your gut instinct. We know our own bodies so well...if I hadn't been charting and taking OPK's, I would have had no idea that I was indeed ovulating and I probably would have ended up waiting 6 months to see if my period would come back before taking any further action. Remember though that what happened to me will not happen to the majority of people so please don't panic if your period is late, just be your own advocate if and when you feel something is wrong!

TTC 2.5 years

DUekm4.png