• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 melvo89

melvo89
  • 4 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:51 PM

Hello everyone, 

I was wondering if anyone can give me some info about their experience at Mount Sinai. I have a consultation in April with Dr. Keith Jarvi and I'm getting nervous the closer we get. 

My husband has cystic fibrosis so that's why we are going through ivf to have kids. 

I just don't know what to expect at this consultation, was anyone else nervous for their consultation? Or am I simply over thinking everything? 

Thank you 

Melissa

#2 Karolinasmommy

Karolinasmommy
  • Cyclebase
  • 1101 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:04 PM

Melissa - being nervous is very understandable.

The appointment with the urologist will be very straight forward. It will be a physical and bloodwork. That is all.

If you already know there are issues, sometimes a male with CF is missing his vas deferns, so that would require a surgical procedure to access sperm.

If the patient has CF, but has his vas deferns and has no issues producing a sperm sample. Than all that needs to happen is genetic testing on the sperm before fertilization.

Regardless of all of this, they will need to rule out the absence of the vas deferns and that is usually done with the physical and followed up with an ultrasound to confirm.

Hang tight, you are almost at the point where you can discuss treatment plans:)

Good luck!

IVF #1
Loss @ 11 weeks (vanishing twin)👼
Loss @ 24 weeks due to pprom (Karolina)👼
Birth of Son #1 in 2014 🌈
Birth of Son #2 in 2016 🌈

May all your dreams come true in ways you least expect it❤️

#3 MuffinMama

MuffinMama
  • Global 100+
  • 150 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Mt Sinai

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:35 PM

Welcome!

DHs first urology appointment with Dr Jarvi was mostly chatting about his medical history, lifestyle, that kind of thing. He then did a physical exam (including the testes) and gave DH a requisition for further tests. It wasn't a big deal really. DH was mostly thrown off by the physical exam, since there were 2 [female] students in the room as well.

As for the IVF workup, it wasn't too bad. Lots of tests (even though you're MFI, they have to do all the testing on you too) but it's really not terrible. Be prepared to get very comfortable with different people seeing your lady bits, and drink lots of water for all the pokes :) Good luck!

#4 M2B16

M2B16
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:38 AM

Hi Melissa,

This is actually the first post I have ever made here.  I also go to Mt. Sinai and my husband has seen Dr. Jarvi a number of times.  Through the wonderful doctors there they have determined I have Atypical CF (I have the disease genetically, however one gene is not severe and I have minimal symptoms) and my husband is also a carrier. 

We found Dr. Jarvi to be an exceptional doctor.  He did every possible test to see if there was anything that could be done to help us conceive naturally.  We have spent the last year just sort of processing the news of my condition and the fact that my husband is a carrier and what this potentially means for our children.  None the less, we have decided to move forward in the next few months and are going to have our first cycle.  I'm incredibly excited.

Best of luck to you!

#5 mak

mak
  • 9 posts
  • My Clinic:Mount Sinai Centre

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:03 PM

Hello everyone. I am new here, we just started going to the fertility clinic here. we are currently going thru all the tests and hoping to start our ivf cycle in April.
I am going in for a procedure to check my tunes. Super scared.

#6 melvo89

melvo89
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:49 PM

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your comments :) It helps by knowing what we are getting into before we get there.

Well April 10th is coming quickly! 

Thank you again :) 

#7 melvo89

melvo89
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:11 AM

Hello Everyone, 

So we had our apt with Dr. Jarvi and now we are just waiting for fertility clinic to call us for my testing. For the people that dealt with Dr. Jarvi, what fertility clinic did they refer you to? 

Melissa

#8 M2B16

M2B16
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:30 PM

Hi Melissa,

We were referred to Dr. Jarvi through Mt. Sinai Fertility Clinic.

#9 melvo89

melvo89
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:39 PM

Hi MissJennyJen, 

Dr. Jarvi is super nice and easy to talk to. :) I'm still waiting to her hear from the fertility clinic.