15 replies to this topic

#1 rulezsr

rulezsr
  • 8 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:43 AM

Hi All 

SA1 - 11/10/2014 - 3ml , 8 mil count , 0% motile , morphology N/A
SA2 - 11/24/2014 - 3.2 ml, 5.8 mil , 1.7% motile ,320k motile sperm, definite forward progression , morphology - N/A
I was put on CLOMID from Dec 1st,2014 

SA3 - 1/20/2015 - 2.5 ml , 6 mil count , 0 motile, weak sluggish forward progression, morphologically abnormal .

Our Doc said we might have to go for Donor sperm if this does improve . We are in a hurry as my wife has low AMH of 0.5 and would like to get IVF +ICSI done soon . 

I have started taking FertilAid after some research online and hoping there is nothing to loose at this point of time.I have also changed into boxers and apply cold packs every night to keep the scrotum area cooled off as i generate heat around the area. I have also switched from Hot Baths to warm water baths. 

Hoping that these vitamins and other stuff in fertilaid will improve my sperm count,motility and morphology. Please share your stories and any other suggestions you have ... 

Thanks 
RS

#2 rulezsr

rulezsr
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:44 AM

Also 

I have been recommended to Urologist and he did examine me physically and he confirmed i am not a case of variocele. He also conducted tests like Y-Chromosome deletion, karoytype , and did my blood work. ..All of these test came normal and my urologist cannot say y my counts are low. 

He did put me on half tablet of 50mg CLMOID a day... 

After my research i i noticed some people got some improvement with supplements so i started taking FERtilAid for Men , COunt Boost and Motility Boost from FairHaven Health. 
I am hoping this would improve my counts. 

We have not gone into IVF +ICSI yet but my Wife's RE confirmed that the current counts would not be useful for IVF and would have to go for TESE if they do not improve in next 2 months. 

We are just not sure at this point of time whether to continue with this RE(Dr. Mausher@ Duke Fertility) ...

Any suggestions would be of great help... 

Thank You!
-RS
ME - 32 - Wife - 27

#3 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 5,625 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:02 AM

It seems like there is more than one obstacle to conception. Even if you can get your numbers up, an amh of 0.5 to me indicates premature ovarian failure. The rule of thumb with amh is to expect 1/2 the amh number of eggs that fertilize. My amh (which was considered depleted ovarian reserve) was 3.4. We had two embryos transferred and it didn't work...

I think you really need to do some reading on both yours and your wife's condition. I cannot speak to sperm issues as we haven't struggled with that but I'm hoping others will chime in here.

I don't mean to scare you but I hope you understand that your wife's amh number is alarming as well. In the end, after five devastating losses, we landed up using DE. I am now in the third trimester.

See about me page.

#4 GabyP

GabyP
  • Global 100+
  • 235 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Interafertility

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:08 PM

Just a thought and I can only speak to the sperm issue. My partner is significantly older (62); so the sperm count and motility were an issue, also the morphology of most, and we decided to go with ICSI right from the beginning.  We knew that it only takes a few and we found the six sperm, we needed. The embryologist carefully selected them from the rest and our little one is now on the way. 

• Nessie likes this

#5 rulezsr

rulezsr
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:03 PM

thank you gaby .. we are pushing our fertility center to go for ICSI directly but tour doc said lab was not confident enough to go forward ....

#6 dandd

dandd
  • Global 100+
  • 234 posts
  • My Clinic:Mount Sinai

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:52 PM

My DH tried fertileaid and it really did not help much. He however took vitamin E, Selium and zinc as suggested by our physician at the time as we were trying naturally on our own as well. We did do ivf+Icsi. I looked at his sperm count reports and it looked like things were better when we did our ivf cycle compared to his first report. It takes 3 months to see an improvement as apparently it takes 3 months for sperm to make it's way out. So a cold/fever 3 months ago affects sperm three months later, at least that is what we were told. Good luck.
  • rulezsr likes this

Me - 31, DH - 33 

Was trying Naturally from Feb 2010

Tests and 2 cycles of Clomid Feb-May 2012

IVF with ICSI - cycle #1 (May/June 2012)

May 5 - Started supressing - Suprefact; May 19-27 - Stimulating - 200 IUI GonalF; May 27 - HCG shot; May 29 - ER - 9 eggs retrieved, 5 were injectable, only 1 fertilized; June 1 - ET - Day 3 transfer, 1 good grade embryo; June 10 - HPT - 9DP3DT - BFN; June 12 - HPT - 11DP3DT - BFP (faint); June 13 - HPT - 12DP3DT - BFP (faint but darker); June 15 - Beta 1 - 345June 17 - Beta 2 - 702; July 20 - 9W3D - baby measuring at 5W6D no heart beat - Dx Missed Miscarriage; July 21 - Misprostol

IVF with ICSI - cycle #2 (January 2013)

Jan 4 - Started supressing - Suprefact; Jan 17 - Stim -Gonal F - 250 IUI; Jan 29 - ER - 16 eggs retrieved, 12 injectable, 11 fertilized; Feb 4 - ET - Day 5 transfer, one embryo transfered; Feb 5th - 4Frozen embryos; Feb 13th - HPT - BFPFeb 18 - Beta 1 - 1581; Feb 20 - Beta 2 - 2700

We welcomed our precious little boy in September 2013.

FET #1 - (March 2015) -1, 3BB embie - BFN

FET #2 - (May 2015) -1, 3BB embie - BFN

FET#3 - (July 2015) - D&C

July 8, 2015 Transferred 1, 4AB 6 day embie - BFP; July 10 - HPT - +ve; July 20 - Beta 1 - 220; July 22 - Beta 2 - 440; Aug 14 D&C

FET#4 - (November 2015)

November 5, 2015 Transferred 1 3BB 6 day embie; Beta 1 Nov 16 - 430; Beta 2 Nov 18 - 812; US - Dec 4 - 6W6D - heartbeat -138

#7 abundant love

abundant love
  • Global 100+
  • 476 posts
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:21 AM

My DH only ever had zero to 7 abnormal, NON-swimming sperm per sample and our clinic still used them for ICSI. We tried 3x and no success, but still great looking embryos. Seems like you'd have enough to try ICSI.
  • rulezsr likes this
<p><strong>Me</strong> - 38, one tube, slightly low OR <strong>DH</strong> - 35- severe MFI (usually 0 sperm) TTC #1 since 2008</p><p> </p><p>3 ICSI's with DH, 2 IUI's with DS = <strong>ALL BFN  </strong></p><p> </p><p><strong>3rd DIUI </strong> Sep 2014</p><p>Clomid + Letrozole + Pregnyl trigger, 2 follies on left, 7mm lining at trigger, 19 mil post wash <strong>BFP!!!</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> 

#8 YYZ123

YYZ123
  • 3 posts
  • My Clinic:TCART

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:01 PM

I have been where you are with really bad sperm numbers, perhaps worse than you. I consulted two of the world's leading reproduction urologists, including the guy who invented micro TESE in NY. They were unanimous that supplements, clomid, biopsies, etc. are a total waste of time and money. They were firm and clear: if you want to get pregnant, you need to move to ICSI immediately. We did and it worked first time. The result is crying upstairs right now. PS - No idea why they would suggest donor sperm when they can do ICSI. You are not Azoo. Fire you doctor and get a new one.
  • rulezsr likes this

#9 rulezsr

rulezsr
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:55 AM

Thank You YYZ123

I did fire our RE and moved onto a different one in the same facility. THis RE was very accomodating and said he can continue with ICSI even with 1% motility rate. I was put on CLOMID by our old RE whihc reduced my numbers to 1.8 mil and 0% motility. 

My current RE took me off everything and only vitamins are still on . He wants to see if i can have 1% motility back to free some sperm and continue with ICSI. We cant wait to see this happen at this point of time .. 

• dandd likes this

#10 Abraxas

Abraxas
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:15 PM

Supplements and a change of lifestyle can indeed improve your values. I am living proof. Although my values werent that bad, they did improve in general. Below my regime (posted in another forum section, so i copied it to here). Wish you the best, it could help if it's not a genetic thing or a specific disorder, its worth trying:

----------------

I made an experiment to see, if and how much vitamins, supplements and a more or less healthy lifestyle does improve the semen parameters. Therefore i made two semen analysises, before and after the supplementation.
Before the 1st semen analysis: I lived a relatively unhealthy life. I smoked (1 package a day), i drank too much beer (+3 per day), no sports activity, around 5 coffees a day and a less than optimal nutrition.
I started with the supplementation around 3 months before the second analysis. In brackets, the minimum values defined by the laboratory. I made the analysises in two different laboratories.

My value / (minimum required) / (change 1st - 2nd analysis in %)

1st analysis:
18.10.2013, age: 30

Abstinence: 5 days
Liquefaction: complete
Viscosity: normal
Turbidity: normal
PH: 7,6 (7,2 - 8)
Volume: 4,0 ml (>=2,0 ml)
Total count: blank (>= 40 x 10^6), i calculated 240 Million (count per ml x volume)
Count per ml: 60 x 10^6/ml (>=15 x 10^6/ml)
Round cells: 0,2 x 10^6/ml (<= 5)
Neutrophil cells: 0,5 x 10^6/ml (<= 1)
Epithelia cells: low
Agglutination: not observed
Crystalisation: low
Morphology: 5% normal forms (>= 4 %, Kruger)
Motility: 
(a+b )) : 68% (>= 50%)
a: 1% (rapid, >= 25%)
b: 67% (sluggish or curved)
c: 7% ( in circles, local)
d: 25% (immotile)
Viability: 77 % alive (>= 75% living sperm)
Diagnosis: -

2nd analysis (comes along with new, updated minimum values defined by the WHO):
05.02.2015, age 32

Abstinence: 4 days
Viscosity: normal
Color: grey
Volume: 5,5 ml (>=1,5 ml) (+1,5 ml with 1 day less abstinence)
Total count: 561 x 10^6 (>= 22,5 x 10^6) (+133,5%!)
Count per ml: 102 x 10^6/ml (>=15 x 10^6/ml) (+70%)
Morphology: 6% normal forms (>= 4 %, Kruger) (+1%)

Motility: 
Progressive: 47% (>= 32% progressive) (-21%)
Not progressive: 14%
Total: 61% (>=40%)
Immotile: 39%

Viability: 90% alive (>=58%) (+13%)
Diagnosis: Normozoospermia (everything allright smile.png

Conclusion:  

Plus:
Volume went up 1,5 ml to 5,5 ml, total count went up to 561 million spermazotas, count per ml went up to 102 million per ml, morphology went slightly up by 1% to 6% total. I heard, that it is very hard to improve morphology. On the other hand it is said that morphology does not play a very important role compared to count and motility. Vitality went up by 13% to 90% total live sperm. 

Minus:
Only the motility went down - at the first glance. Remember, i had a very low count of A grade sperms (1%) in the first analysis. The new WHO guide does not distinguish between A and B grade anymore. It remains unclear if the A grades have improved. If they only improved by 5%, that would be a significant plus to the first analysis, independently of the total motile sperms. Furthermore, without any possible improvement of A grade, the mass of total sperms available (47% A+B motiles of 561 Million: 263'670'000 compared to 68% A+B of 240 Million: 163'200'000) does outweigh the loss of motility. I assume that a grade has improved because of the regime, but cannot prove it.

It worked very well. I regret that i was unable to stop smoking and that i still do not make a lot of exercises (at least now i am playing ping pong regularly), i still drink up to 3 coffees a day (slightly reduced). The values might be even higher without smoking and coffee. However i strongly reduced drinking, i eat healthy with a good fruit/vegetables intake. I do not drink Soda, sweetened drinks. Avoid corn sirup. I do not eat processed food from can, only fresh and homemade food. I avoid junk food in any form. I do not take hot baths, i sleep without clothes. Avoid contact with pesticides, fungicides, chemic toxins and heavy metals.

My diet and supplementation:

Morning:

A fruit cereal: 
+Lycopene (count, motility)
+Selenium (motility, viability, morphology)

Every morning i eat a cereal made of watermelon and banana and yoghurt. I add also 1-2 brazil nuts into it. Watermelons are extremely high in lycopene, brazil nuts are very high in selenium (warning: avoid too high intakes, selenium is poisonous in mega doses and may have a destructive effect on sperm cells, keep it around 200 IU of recommended daily units, please inform yourself via google). Bananas are believed to have a good effect on sperm because of its Bromelain protein.

Noon:

A good meal with meat and vegetables and a fruit juice.
Supplements:
+Vitamin B complex, 1 pill (count, DNA)
+Vitamin C, 500mg-1000mg, 1-2 capsules (anti agglutination, Count, motility, morphology, anti-oxidant, that helps smokers in particular)
+Zinc, 50mg, 1 pill (count, DNA, effective in combination with folic acid)
+Folic acid, 2mg, 2 pills 1mg each (count, DNA)
+Ginseng, 1 capsule (count, quality)
+Vitamin D (quality): You can buy it as a supplement but i get it free. Get out in the sun for 15 minutes every other day, better daily. A lack of Vitamin D is linked to poor sperm quality and fragmented DNA.

Afternoon:

+ 1 Carrot -> Betacarotene (motility)

Special drink, one glass of water with:
+Bee pollen, 1-2 teaspoons (count, motility)
+Maca ("black Maca"), 1-2 teaspoons (volume, count, motility)

You can get Maca and Bee Pollen in the health food store or online.

Of course there are other supplements that help. I just listed the regime i took (and take). Please get advice from your doctor what you can take and what not, i don't assume liability and don't guarantee success. It was a success in my case.

Additional tips:

+Water: Drink a lot of water, it helps volume. Drink 8 glasses daily
+For women: 1 mg Folic acid daily. My doctor told me, that it helps sperma to "stick" to the egg. Keep the folic acid intake in case you are pregnant for 3 months. It helps avoiding certain damages to the embryo. 

Keep your regime with discipline on a daily basis.

• ociwoman likes this

#11 Loretta1024

Loretta1024
  • 36 posts
  • My Clinic:Heartland Fertility soon to be VFC

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:14 PM

My husband has similar counts. His SA average around 4mil/ml with 25% motility and 7% morph. Our fertility clinic said that we basically have a 1% chance of getting pregnant on our own. She recommended we have In Vitro with ICSI and we would be looking at about a 50% chance of that working. I asked mr Dr. if we can try any drugs in the meantime but she said that it really wasn't worth it.  

In the meantime while we are waiting to get into a clinic my husband is taking fertile aid. He also has an appointment with a urologist to rule out varicocele.

My husband is a fairly healthy guy, doesn't drink much, exercises and doesn't smoke, however he does carry a little extra weight around his midsection. Good luck!

TTC #1 since Jan 2014

Looking at IVF with ICSI as this seems to be our only option.

Feb 2, 2015 - Laproscopy/Hysteroscopy - Results, everything looked good, both tubes open & clear

Surprise Positive pregnancy test April 12, 2015 Naturally, wow still in disbelief but over the moon happy :)

#12 Loretta1024

Loretta1024
  • 36 posts
  • My Clinic:Heartland Fertility soon to be VFC

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:17 PM

Also like YYZ123 said that seems odd they would suggest a donor sperm as it seems like your counts are good for Invitro with ICSI. I've heard good things about Fertile Aid, I'm hoping it helps!

TTC #1 since Jan 2014

Looking at IVF with ICSI as this seems to be our only option.

Feb 2, 2015 - Laproscopy/Hysteroscopy - Results, everything looked good, both tubes open & clear

Surprise Positive pregnancy test April 12, 2015 Naturally, wow still in disbelief but over the moon happy :)

#13 rulezsr

rulezsr
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 10:38 PM

just an update who might be following this thread. 

i was diagnosed with grade I varicocele and i am going in for a surgery in 1 week. I will keep you posted on my progress after this .. 

• gibasgirl, elephantshoes, smurfette_w and 1 other like this

#14 abundant love

abundant love
  • Global 100+
  • 476 posts
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:20 AM

Best of luck, rulezsr! Sounds like something you can work with and might get good results.
<p><strong>Me</strong> - 38, one tube, slightly low OR <strong>DH</strong> - 35- severe MFI (usually 0 sperm) TTC #1 since 2008</p><p> </p><p>3 ICSI's with DH, 2 IUI's with DS = <strong>ALL BFN  </strong></p><p> </p><p><strong>3rd DIUI </strong> Sep 2014</p><p>Clomid + Letrozole + Pregnyl trigger, 2 follies on left, 7mm lining at trigger, 19 mil post wash <strong>BFP!!!</strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> 

#15 smurfette_w

smurfette_w
  • Cyclebase
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:21 PM

My DH's numbers went from 1 mil/mL to 5 mil/mL after two varicocele surgeries, but I remember we were still at 0% motility and 0% normal forms (so the numbers are definitely lower than yours).  We've done ICSI twice and are expecting our second daughter this summer.  Is your wife doing more testing regarding her AMH levels?

Me: genetic issues
DH: genetic issues, MFI

TTC since Summer 2009

See my profile for details

#16 rulezsr

rulezsr
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:36 AM

yea i am hoping for improvement. 

smurfette_wong : my wife did not get levels checked again as RE keeps saying it would not drastically reduce in couple of months. we are hoping for some improvement in my sperm and we can continue with 1st round of IVF+ICSI

Hope is all we can rely on ..