10 replies to this topic

#1 Ttc&praying

Ttc&praying
  • Global 100+
  • 112 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:1st Clinic- Heartland, 2nd-Sanford

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:29 AM

Hi I have had all bloodwork completed by my family physician. I have noy had a hystersaplinogram ordered. My dr said she will let heartland decide if they need to order it. My first appointment is coming up soon.do all women need an hsg? How long is the wait for a HSg? Where is hsg done?
Is it absolutely necessary to get hsg done?
If there is a wait for hsg will heartland start treatment prior?

#2 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

Hi TTC&Praying,

You absolutely require an HSG as a diagnostic test.  It is the only way your RE will be able to tell if your tubes are open.  All the clomid/letrozole/IUIs have no chance of working if your tubes aren't clear.

The HSG will also be able to detect if you have a hydrosalpinx should there be a blockage detected.  A hydro is a tube that can leak fluid into the uterine cavity and kill the embryos.  Your chances of conceiving are less than 10% until a hydro is addressed.

I had a hydro in my left tube addressed in Feb as we could not proceed to IVF without it being corrected first.

Good luck!

It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#3 Ttc&praying

Ttc&praying
  • Global 100+
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:25 PM

Thank you for the info!
Is there a wait to get a hsg?
Ill be on cd4 when I go to HL this week and am wondering if dr orders hsg dies that mean this cycle we will not be able to attempy iui or ivf?

#4 Ttc&praying

Ttc&praying
  • Global 100+
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:26 PM

Does**

#5 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:56 PM

I had my HSG at this time last year and did not find there was a wait.  I think it would be unlikely given that you'll be on CD4 that you'll get one for this cycle but you should be able to get one next cycle.  The HSG is performed on very cycle specific days to ensure you're not pg as they will be injecting dye into your tubes & uterus.

I would think it is unlikely that you would be unable to attempt ivf or iui for at least 6 months.  Sorry...wish I had better news!  Your RE will prescribe Clomid and/or Letrozole...not knowing what your diagnosis is or age this they would probably want you on that for 3-6 months (expect 6.)

I would encourage you to ask for a swim up test for your DH at your initial appointment as this test is booked weeks out and you'll need it to proceed with ivf.  It will also allow your RE to more knowledgeably recommend iui or ivf.  I can't recall but I think the test is approximately $200.

I never did any iuis at HL but I'd REALLY encourage you to read their posted success rates on iuis before considering this financial cost.

At present I believe the waitlist for IVF is 125 people long...or...6 months.

This post is not at all meant to discourage you but it is very important to go in with eyes wide open in order to be your own advocate and manage your healthcare effectively.

There are clinics that offer much quicker access to services than HL.  You may wish to research that in this site.  There is an active thread dedicated to MBs that transferred to VFC in Victoria.  ;)

You may wish to read the 2014 HL cycle thread as it is more actively monitored and will provide you with a wealth of information to manage your initial appointment.  The link is https://ivf.ca/forums...and-2014-cycle/  I think you'll find the ladies there will respond quickly to answer any questions as well.

The HL thread for MBs who transferred is https://ivf.ca/forums...ho-transferred/

Has your family GP run an AMH test for you as well?  It is a simple blood test that can be done on any day of your cycle and provides the most accurate diagnosis of your egg reserves.  Most of the ladies here would tell you that this test is critically important in determining the proper care route and managing your diagnosis.  It isn't always run by the GPs and REs but almost every clinic in North America (and Europe) requires it to treat you.

I wish you all kinds of luck on your journey.  Unfortunately the IVF process is "hurry & wait"....you will have the most control over your outcomes and timelines if you read & research tons (from reputable sources.)  This site is an amazing community of supportive people that are happy to answer questions at any time.  I'd encourage you to explore the various threads and get the great information that's out there.

All the best!

• pearljam1997 likes this
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#6 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:57 PM

I should also point out that the 125 patient waitlist is from patients that have paid their deposits and proceeded with all the testing & counselling recommended...so...it's 6 months from when you put your deposit down.  

• pearljam1997 likes this

#7 Ttc&praying

Ttc&praying
  • Global 100+
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:19 PM

Im shocked with the process.

My partners sperm count is low. Will this change testing?
If we get iui is there less of a wait?
My family go didn't order amh. Even though I asked her too. She said HL would do it if thry needed it.

If I ovulate already, would dr give me clomid

#8 Ttc&praying

Ttc&praying
  • Global 100+
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:19 PM

Does waiting time depend on which dr we have at HL

#9 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:05 PM

I know - I'm sorry...it's such a difficult process. I wish it was different. Unfortunately no, the waittime does not vary depending on your RE at HL.

This is my very best advice based on experience....go to the HL webpage and print off the required tests...this is in the "Physicians Only" section. http://heartlandfert...-and-referrals/ It says AMH right on there on the bottom. Have your GP order the test. The REs won't order the blood test unless you've had 3 failed ivf cycles...so...if you figure it will costs $30k to have 3 cycles plus the emotional toll...insist you GP order....if your GP won't...insist your RE order it.

The long lupron protocol is the preferred ivf cycle at HL because it's easiest to schedule. It will oversuppress women with a BMI 21 and under and low/low normal AMH. HL will design your protocol around your day 3 FSH & estrodial but FSH can be masked by high estrodial....which is why the AMH is so badly needed. Your AMH may make you better suited for an antagonist protocol, an estrogen primed antagonist protocol, flare protocol...and...there are quite a few others that have little tweaks and variances to them.

I really, really, really encourage you to read the 2014 cycle thread....if nothing else happens...read that thread for the info contained therein.

I can't comment knowledgeably as to whether or not there's a high enough sperm count for an IUI....my partner has low morphology so we always had to go IVF.

If you haven't tried it already some simple lifestyle changes like not hot baths/hot tubs/cell phones/laptops near the groin. I put my DH on Fertil-Aid which improved his count from 14.9mil (low normal) to 53 mil. It really works and you'll find all kinds of women who have seen drastic improvements in their partners counts after Fertil-Aid. I order mine through Fairhaven health...it's cheap and takes about a week to ship to Canada.

I believe you will only be looking at apprx a 3 month waittime for an IUI but you will need an HSG first. I'd also really encourage you to question your RE on success rates re oral vs medicated IUIs. http://heartlandfert.../success-rates/ You may also feel that for the price of a medicated IUI and apprx success rate you'd be better off going to ivf. This being said....not knowing your age & your partner's counts you might be prepared to try a few unmedicated cycles.

Depending on his counts they may still start you with Clomid/Letrozole as the produce a stronger ovulation...even if you already ovulate.

This isn't intended to discourage you...far from it...it's so important to read, research and know what you're dealing with so that you can be your own advocate. I hope this helped!
  • pearljam1997, Beth83, tryinginMB and 1 other like this

#10 Bri.H

Bri.H
  • 7 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:HeartLand Fertility Clinic - Winnipeg MB

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:23 PM

Hi Ttc&praying,

Not sure if you've had your first appointment yet or not at this point, but here is my experience.  1st appt in mid July, I wasn't having a cycle at all so we had to "reboot" as you are already having a cycle it may be faster for you.  But I was told to follow the "reboot" method and call in on CD 1 - 4 to schedule my HSG on the 2nd bleed. When I called they booked me in for the following week.  (I believe the documents they gave me said they schedule these on CD 7 to 12).  When you go in (Grace Hospital) just remember you will get the results right away they will show you the screen and you can ask questions if you have any.  Personally I had read up on the procedure and was a bit worried about the pain, but it was more uncomfortable then painful for me, but everyone is different.  

I agree with CdnHockeyGal, the more research we do before hand the better prepared we are for our own care. 

Good luck with your journey, :) 

#11 Suz1980

Suz1980
  • Cyclebase
  • 848 posts
  • My Clinic:Heartland

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:33 AM

Hi Bri!  Welcome to the heartland thread.  It's pretty quiet here these days... used to be a lot more chattier.  I'm an oldie from HL and if you wanna chat or need anything feel free to PM me!

Me - 36 DH - 37

2008-2010 numerous rounds of failed clomid and Letrozole cycles

2011 - 3 failed IUI's with injects

Nov/Dec 2011 - IVF #1 -BFN

April/May 2012 - IVF w ICSI #2 - BFP (2 frozen embabies as well)
Feb 7/13 - Our miracle baby Stella Faith is born 6lbs 7oz

FET #1 BFN April 2014  FET #2 end of May 2014 - cancelled  FET #2 again - June 2014 - BFP low beta early m/c sad.png

IVF #3 Oct 2014  BFN 2 frosties 

FET #3 - Feb 2015 - BFN FET #4 May 12 2015 - BFN IVF #4 Jan 2016 7 frozen embryos, lining too thin to transfer will transfer in spring FET #5 June 14, 2016 BFN  FET #6 Septemer 2016 - BFN 3 frosties remaining. FET #7 transfer 2 embryos Oct 8 2017 BFN Final FET#8 Nov 10 2017 Transfer last embryo BFN. Our journey to a sibling for a our miracle girl is over.