Photo
- - - - -

Wobenzym--Will it help for immune factors?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 leigh14

leigh14
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,454 posts
  • Dx:Immunological
  • My Clinic:Markham

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:51 PM

Hi Dr. Fiona,

I was just wondering what your thoughts are about Wobenzym and whether it could be a good possible supplement to use when one has identified immune issues. A few years back my clinic identified that I have some immunological factors (MTHFR, High NK cells, high cytokines, low LADS) and, prior to my cycle and during my pregnancy I had treatment geared toward addressing these issues (LIT, blood thinners, IVIG, Humira). 

Since having my child, I have developed considerable joint aches (mostly in my back) and the cause of this issue has not really been identified despite extensive testing. I suspect there are some mechanical issues there that are being aggravated by inflammation and stress. Some days feel very normal and others not so much. :(  I noticed Wobenzym in the health food store as a supplement suggested for joint pain. I did some google searches on it and, on some sites, it is mentioned as a supplement used for fertility. 

What are your thoughts? My husband and I are contemplating another cycle (natural cycle) and I was wondering if this might be something that would be helpful for me to try for both my general aches and pains and fertility.

Thanks!

Leigh

Me: 40
Dx: DH: Vasectomy; need IVF/ICSI ME: D.O.R. and many immunological issues. (Initially presented as "normal" but issues were only discovered after IVF attempt #2 and #3 after testing at new clinic)
IVF attempt #1 Nov.2009, Age 37: Long "Lupron" protocol
Dec.2009: Cycle cancelled due to oversuppression
IVF attempt #2, Age 38: April 2010: 3 eggs retrieved, 2 mature, 2 fertilized, ET of 2 embryos BFN
IVF atempt #3 at new clinic: November 2010, Age 38: 5 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 4 fertilized, ET of 2 blastocysts BFP
Strong beta numbers but babies not measuring on track but one heartbeat is present. Followup u/s reveals no HB's :( Had D&C--so sad.
Moved to new clinic closer to home + more of a focus on testing for potential immunological factors:
Further testing reveals three mutations related to inherited thrombophilia (2 MTHFR mutations and PA1-1 mutation), positive ANA, elevated NK cells and cytokines and low levels of leukocyte antibodies (LADS), Recommended Immunological treatment: Humira, LIT, IVig and blood thinners if PG
IVF Protocol: Low stim for me/ TESE needed for DH; took Humira in late August and early September; taking DHEA plus Co-Enzyme Q10, vitamins for DH just for good measure! September--two trips to Mexico for LIT treatment, treatments 3 weeks apart
Initial re-testing through Alan Beer Centre after some of the immune treatments reveals only cytokines were lowered, NKs still high and LAD numbers still low. Another LIT in Mexico is recommended. We decide to begin cycle on doctor's recommendation of just doing IVIG.
IVF#4, Age 39 : November 2011: Worst AFC EVER--a whopping 4! Three follicles responded, two eggs were retrieved. Three day transfer of two Grade 1 8 cell embryos: "Fahita" & "Burrito" Stick, stick, stick little ones!
BFP! Beta of 569
Viability u/s at 6 w 2d shows TWO babies measuring on track with heartbeats of 121. Looks like babies might be sharing the same amniotic sac.
Second u/s at 7w 2 d shows ONE baby with hb of 150, measuring 7 w 3 days. No sign of twin. Vanishing twin syndrome?
Third u/s at 8 w 2d shows ONE baby with hb of 170, measuring 8 w 3 days. Looks like a little jellybean!
12 week u/s at 12 w 2 days and baby is measuring 12 w 5 days with a heart beat of 150. Baby mooned us and waved at us with one hand....looked like a "royal" wave to me!
13 week doctor's appointment, HB=155 on doppler
14 week u/s to check cervix, HB=148
16 week u/s to check cervix, HB=138, baby had hiccups!
20 week u/s--everything looks good! HB=130, looks like we're having a GIRL!
IPS results very good!
39 weeks: Our baby girl arrived!!! She is healthy and beautiful! We are so happy! :)

Lilypie Maternity tickers

#2 waitingforbfp

waitingforbfp
  • Global 100+
  • 469 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:KRF/Olive

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:27 AM

I've been taking it for about a month now. I'd be curious to see Dr Fiona's views on it. I've noticed some difference but nothing major yet. I have also been going gluten free, dairy free and egg free (dr's orders) so that may be the difference too. 

Me-38 DH- 42

TTC since 2000
Unexplained Secondary Infertility (Had a son while a teen and gave him up for adoption)
March 2000- M/C @ 11 weeks
January 2001- M/C @ 9 weeks
February 2003- M/C @ 8 weeks
2004-2007- 6 Cycles of clomid and natural conception- BFN
November 2009- IUI with injectables- BFN
February 2010- IUI with injectables- BFN
May 2012-Consult with KRF. Re-due blood tests and prep for IVF
June 2012-Started taking Estrace for estrogen priming protocol
Blood test to see why af hasn't started. BFP with low numbers. Chemical Pregnancy
IVF#1 (KRF/Genesis)--July 29, 2012- Estrogen Priming Protocol
August 19-Egg Retrieval 20 eggs; 18 fertilized; 11 made it to Day 5
August 24- Transferred 1 Blast; Froze 4 (the rest didn't make it overnight to Day 6)
Sept 2-Took HPT (Faint Positive)
Sept 5-Beta 3 (BFN--Another Chemical)
FET#1(KRF/Genesis)-Oct 30 2012 On Estrace and Prednisone. Transferred 2 blasts (Had to thaw 3-one didn't make it. One left in the freezer)
Nov 13 2012- Beta- BFN

FET#2(KRF/Genesis) -Nov 16,2013 BETA Nov 27--Chemical Pregnancy 

IVF#2 (KRF/Olive)Consult Jan 27. (Doing CCS & immune treatments this cycle)

Estrogen Priming Starts February 19, 2014 YAY!!!!

STIMS START March 1, 2014

Retrieval Mar 13, 2014. 17 eggs retrieved, 16 of which mature and 15 fertilized. 

11 made it to blast and were biopsied and frozen. 5 NORMAL BLASTS yahoo.gif

FET with next af (transfer May, hopefully). 

FET transfer with One Normal Perfect Embryo May 15, 2014

5dp5dt--Faint positive on hpt. Darker on 6dp5dt yahoo.gif

BETA--May 26, 2014 (FX this is it)

ANOTHER F**KING chemical--beta 21 th_agrr.gif

FET#2--Lining scan on July 15. Lining at 10mm and dominate follicle is at 19mm. Waiting on ovulation to time transfer. Here we go again. FX this is it!!!

TRANSFER July 21, 2014--1 PGS Normal Blast

8th confirmed Chemical

LOOKING FOR A SURROGATE. Still have 3 PGS normal embryos frozen.

Trying again with my body......'initial' consult is April 14

#3 Kathryn2013

Kathryn2013
  • Global 100+
  • 357 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:18 PM

I took it for 3 months (if I remember correctly) and my first AF after taking it for a month was WICKED painful. The Wobenzyme cleaned me out, literally. The following two AF's leading up to the IVF cycle got better but personally, I believe in it and I think it helped.

Me: Endo, fibroid    DH: healthy as a horse thankfully

October 2011 - Feb 2012 - Clomid - BNF

June 2012 - Nov 2012 - Clomid - BFN

November 2012 - investigate IVF ( Waiting to start IVF to detox and get thyroid under control)

Sept 2013 - IVF#1 Calgary (125iu Puregon, 10 retrieved, 5 fert, transferred 2 - 3dp embies) - BFN

April/May 2014 - IVF #2 Victoria (150iu Puregon, 150 iu Repronex, dexamethasone. 17 retrieved, 13 fertilized, 6 blastocysts in the freezer, waiting for FET #1)

August 5, 2014 - FET #1: intralipids, medrol, PIO

• August 14 @ 10dp5dy: BFP
  • August 18 @ 14dp5dt beta: 902
  • August 20 @ 16dp5dt beta: 1894
  • Sept 10 ultrasound: baby A hb156, baby B hb142...2 bambino's!
  • Sept 23 - first OB Appt - was able to hear one of the babies heart beats at 9w!
  • Oct15 - 2 healthy babies on the doppler
  • March 28, 2015 our b/g twins arrived at 36w2d

January 2017 - hoping/planning for another FET

#4 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 842 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:White Lotus Naturopathic

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:47 PM

Hi leigh, 

Yes, absolutely - wobenzym can be very helpful for immune issues.  It's also safe when trying to conceive, which is not the case with some anti-inflammatory supplements.  If you're also experiencing joint pain, it will most likely help with that as well!  

Hope this was a helpful answer for you and good luck!

Dr. Fiona

• waitingforbfp likes this
Dr. Fiona McCulloch, BSc., ND : Naturopathic Doctor, Integrative Women's Health & Fertility
White Lotus Integrative Medicine
Greenfield Ave, Suite 201
North York, Ontario, M2N 3CBCanada
phone (416) 730-8218

#5 Ellainner

Ellainner
  • Just Hatched
  • 5 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:48 AM

That can be taken during IVF stim?

#6 Jade_carla

Jade_carla
  • 42 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Astra fertility

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:52 AM

Hi Dr. Fiona,

Can Wobenzyme be taken during FET?

Thanks

Jade

TTC since 2012.  Hubby and I are both 30 and have never conceived

DH has great Swimmers

Unexplained

2013, 2014 - 7 failed IUIs with Femera or with Injectables.

October 2015- IVF/ICIS 11 eggs retrieved, 10 Injected, 7 Fertilized, 2 put in BFN 

November 2015- FET, 2 Day 3 put in BFN

April 2016 - Trans Vaginal Endoscopy nothing found, NK killer cell testing Normal

June 2016- FET !!!