IVF, IF and Drugs Costs - What can you claim on a tax return? - Healthcare Funding and Finances - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

IVF, IF and Drugs Costs - What can you claim on a tax return?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Still_Hoping

Still_Hoping
  • 94 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:02 PM

Hi,

I'm being audited by the CRA :(. CRA cites eligible prescription drugs and medicines as those prescribed by medical practitioner... must be recorded by a pharmacist... no OTCs, vitamins etc even if prescribed by a medical practitioner.

I had purchased most of my IVF drugs via the clinic, so technically, its not recorded by a pharmacist - so I think this criteria is greatly flawed. I think I'll submit for IVF drugs that I purchased via the clinic anyway. Any thoughts?

IMy RE also told me to tak CoQ10 and DHEA to improve egg quality. I figure the CoQ10 is probably not eligible since its purely naturopathic and OTC (even though I bought it from the clinic), but the DHEA should be eligible since you can't just get it over the counter. Any advice would be appreciated. Has anyone claimed DHEA or CoQ10 in their tax return?

Thanks,

Me: 38, fibroids, DOR

DH: 37 and doing great!

May 2009 - natural DS arrives!!!

March 2011 - TTC

Feb 2012 - Diagnosed with extensive uterine fibroids and premature ovarian aging (high FSH, low AMH) and DOR. RE recommends donour eggs and surrogate - - but we're not ready for that as we've only just begun.

Spring/Summer 2012 - Underwent 3 hysteroscopic myomectomies.

Summer/Fall/Winter 2012 - Underwent 6 IUIs, all BFNs

March 2013 - IVF #1: 4 mature follies, retrieved 3, only 2 fertilized, only 1 made it to day 5 and then was frozen (devastated). Transfer cancelled due to recurring fluid in endometrium (devastated again).

April 2013 - Cancelled FET due to endometrial fluid despite treatment with estrogen patches. Office hysteroscopy showed no scarring of endometrium. Fluid likely from the uteran muscle.

May 2013 - Decreased fluid in endometrium. RE said "maybe hysteroscopy knocked something loose" and recommended FET. Chose natural cycle instead in hopes of further clearing my fluid - BFN.

June 2013 - pneumonia. Cancelled FET. Natural cycle with intralips - BFN.

July 2, 2013 - Natural FET of my only frostie with intralips and accupuncture. BFP!!!

EDD March 21, 2014

#2 ollie2013

ollie2013
  • Global 100+
  • 845 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:17 PM

i will ask my dad, he is a tax accountant

me 26, dh 32

ttc for almost 3 years

one ectopic pregnancy, lost one tube- 2013

one miscarriage- 2014

poor egg quality, unstable hormone levels. AMH dropped from 4 to 1.5 in 4 months.. had it retested and came back at 1.4

RE predicts that i will go through menopause around age 30..27 or 28. Suggests one round  of ivf and then it is time to move onto another option.

1st ivf booked to begin in september

Sept 17- B/w and U/S, Starting Stimulation

Clinic Error and IVF cycle cancelled in October- took some time to think about my options

November- Moving onto donor eggs-

donor #1 selected through little miracles

Dec 29- Lupron Injection

Jan 22- Estrace Started

Estimated Retrieval day for donor is Feb 6. 5 days into the cycle, donor was found to have cocaine and marijuana in her bloodstream- cycle cancelled.. heartbroken and very disappointed

Donor egg cycle round 2 - let's hope things go well this time!

Donor #2 selected... Retrieval in April!

#3 lesley1978

lesley1978
  • Global 100+
  • 344 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:16 PM

My rule of thumb is if it has a Rx claim it, my first yr we claimed fertility meds they asked for reciepts. I did not claim vitamins, but I did not take dhea. The injectables and progesterone I bought from the clinic , just summitted the reciept the clinic gave me. The other meds I just kept the Rx reciept that came from the pharmacy. I did not claim travel or other expenses. Make sure you make copies of the reciepts before sending them.

#4 CrisBelieve

CrisBelieve
  • 1000+
  • 1651 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Centre

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:29 PM

I got audited too. 

No worries bout your meds.  I bought all of mine through my clinic and I just submitted those receipts to the CRA and they accepted it.  As for vitamins and CoQ10, I didn't submit receipts for that as I am pretty sure that wouldn't be acceptable to them...but I could be wrong!  I think the DHEA would be ok because I believe you need a perscription for that.  I also submitted parking fees but that was disallowed beacuse I don't live farther than 40kms away from the clinic.   

More details on our infertility journey in 'About Me' page

Me: 40, DH: 43

TTC for many years - severe male factor - Obstructive Azoospermia

Our 7th cycle brought us the miracles we were looking for.  Our twin girls were born in 2017!  heart.gif heart.gif

Trying for baby #3

Fresh transfer in Feb 2019 = BFN

FET - June 2019

June 25 - transferred one day 6 grade 2 expanded blast

June 29 - POAS...very very faint line!  

July 4 - beta @ 9dpt = 95, beta @ 11dpt = 311, beta @ 13dpt = 646

July 25 - viability scan @ exactly 7 weeks - one baby with heartbeat of 147!  So very thankful.

August 8 - 9 week ultrasound - baby moving around with heartbeat of 170!

August 30 - 12 week NT scan - all looks well with the babe, heartbeat of 155

October 24 - anatomy scan...everything looks great and we are having a babyboy.gif !  So happy!

#5 JuneLily

JuneLily
  • Global 100+
  • 250 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:38 PM

First off, don't be scared by the review letter. The letters are very, very common. I work for a public accounting firm and we copy medical receipts for all of our clients claiming over $3,000 because we know there's a very good chance that CRA will decide to review them.

Hopefully the drugs receipts your clinic provided are detailed and include the Rx numbers. Submit the receipts regardless of whether you think they will be accepted. The worst that can happen is for CRA to disallow those expenses. If they do, you can appeal- those expenses should definitely be allowable!

I think DHEA is considered a supplement, but I haven't used it. Generally speaking, supplements, even when prescribed by a Doctor, are not an eligible medical expense.  If you claimed the DHEA and CoQ10 as an expense on your tax return, submit the receipts - again, all that CRA can do is disallow them, but at least the receipts substantiate the amount claimed on your return.

As lesley1978 mentioned, make sure to copy the receipts if you're sending the originals. The receipts should be returned... but you never know. You may have the option to fax the receipts or upload them if you have a CRA on-line account.

Keep in mind, if CRA does end up disallowing some of the expenses and you claim medical in the next couple of tax years, it's almost a guarantee that they will want to review your receipts for those years as well.

Me: 30 31 DH: 32 33 Furbabies x 2: 7 8

TTC (or at least not trying to not to) since 2004

Complications

Endometriosis 

IVF, Pregnancy, Preterm Labour & the NICU Rollercoaster

June 2014 - Long lupron protocol. Transferred 2 5-day blasts and I finally saw two beautiful pink lines!

October 20,  2014 - Devastating news. Cervix measuring only 9mm. On bed rest and determined to make it to viability and beyond.

November 7, 2014 - Moved to hospital bed rest as planned as we neared viability.

November 13, 2014 - 24 WEEKS! Happy Viability Day, babies!

November 29, 2014 - Elianna Nicole and Scarlett Anne were born via emergency c-section at 26 weeks 3 days.babygirl.gif babygirl.gif

February 17, 2015 - Elianna becomes our first NICU graduate after 81 days!

March 3, 2015 - Scarlett is discharged after 95 days in the NICU.

#6 ollie2013

ollie2013
  • Global 100+
  • 845 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:15 PM

my dad said it should make no difference where the meds are purchased as long as you have a corresponding prescription

me 26, dh 32

ttc for almost 3 years

one ectopic pregnancy, lost one tube- 2013

one miscarriage- 2014

poor egg quality, unstable hormone levels. AMH dropped from 4 to 1.5 in 4 months.. had it retested and came back at 1.4

RE predicts that i will go through menopause around age 30..27 or 28. Suggests one round  of ivf and then it is time to move onto another option.

1st ivf booked to begin in september

Sept 17- B/w and U/S, Starting Stimulation

Clinic Error and IVF cycle cancelled in October- took some time to think about my options

November- Moving onto donor eggs-

donor #1 selected through little miracles

Dec 29- Lupron Injection

Jan 22- Estrace Started

Estimated Retrieval day for donor is Feb 6. 5 days into the cycle, donor was found to have cocaine and marijuana in her bloodstream- cycle cancelled.. heartbroken and very disappointed

Donor egg cycle round 2 - let's hope things go well this time!

Donor #2 selected... Retrieval in April!

#7 Clairey

Clairey
  • Global 100+
  • 249 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:44 AM

Isn't the clinic connected through a pharmacy? Who dispenses the drugs? But that's a side note - yes either way, you CAN claim any drugs prescribed by your doctor for your cycles except the vitamins.

I claimed travel (if clinic is 45 km+ each way), food on procedure days, acupuncture, and drugs. I didn't know if everything would be covered (like the acupuncture) but I got a letter from my RE that said I may benefit from fertility-based acupuncture and a letter from my acupuncturist that this was her speciality.

I believe in overexplaining hoping it gives a better chance. I have done this 3 times and not been audited yet, but I have read here that auditing is common - so don't worry.

#8 Still_Hoping

Still_Hoping
  • 94 posts
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:03 PM

Thanks all for your insight. Its all very helpful.

@ Clairey - at Create, the admins or nurses give you the meds that the RE prescribes.

Me: 38, fibroids, DOR

DH: 37 and doing great!

May 2009 - natural DS arrives!!!

March 2011 - TTC

Feb 2012 - Diagnosed with extensive uterine fibroids and premature ovarian aging (high FSH, low AMH) and DOR. RE recommends donour eggs and surrogate - - but we're not ready for that as we've only just begun.

Spring/Summer 2012 - Underwent 3 hysteroscopic myomectomies.

Summer/Fall/Winter 2012 - Underwent 6 IUIs, all BFNs

March 2013 - IVF #1: 4 mature follies, retrieved 3, only 2 fertilized, only 1 made it to day 5 and then was frozen (devastated). Transfer cancelled due to recurring fluid in endometrium (devastated again).

April 2013 - Cancelled FET due to endometrial fluid despite treatment with estrogen patches. Office hysteroscopy showed no scarring of endometrium. Fluid likely from the uteran muscle.

May 2013 - Decreased fluid in endometrium. RE said "maybe hysteroscopy knocked something loose" and recommended FET. Chose natural cycle instead in hopes of further clearing my fluid - BFN.

June 2013 - pneumonia. Cancelled FET. Natural cycle with intralips - BFN.

July 2, 2013 - Natural FET of my only frostie with intralips and accupuncture. BFP!!!

EDD March 21, 2014

#9 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:31 AM

Should be able to claim DHEA, as it's a hormone and only available by Rx in Canada, definitely not an OTC.

Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.