Number of Follicles during stimulation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:33 PM

Hi,

I am new to this and am on day 8 of IVF meds stimulation - first cycle. I am going to be 42 later this year and have had my kids without IVF - however, I have experienced significant pregnancy loss duirng the efforts to have children - We would love to have one more child - Due to age and my recurrent miscarriage, ectopic history, we're doing IVF and PGD. Here is my question:

I am so confused as to what are good numbers for follicle development for me. On day 6 I had 10 follicles - 2 or 3 were a good size and the others were smaller. yesterday, I have a total of 13 follciles - 6 - 16 mm. Met with the doctor and he told me these are ok but "not great" numbers. Of course, I hear about the women who produce 30 eggs, etc. I also hear about those who are closer to my numbers and they seem to think they are good numbers. I think we are intending (subjectr to the sonogram and blood test results) to do the HCG trigger so that retrieval is either 4 or 5 days from now.

Can anyone share with me their personal experiences? Number of follicles developed during stimulatin (and size range), number of eggs that resulted? Where they were with follicles at day 8 of stimulation and the end result?

Thanks in advance! I appreciate it!

#2 Hopeful

Hopeful
  • 260 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:42 PM

Hi New Ivfer,
Welcome! :wavey:

I don't think you should be discouraged at all - your numbers sound good! I had 7 follicles on day 9 of stims (I don't recall the sizes of them at that stage) - and I was really worried but the doctor reassured me that often times, the numbers multiply by the time of ET. And sure enough, my ET was 4 days later and they retrieved 13 eggs (I had 14 follicles but one was empty). Of the 13 eggs, 8 fertilized and of the 8 embryos, 3 did well and were transferred back to me - they also did assisted hatching for me.

The women that are producing 30 eggs are often over stimulated and can suffer from OHSS - nothing you'd want from the stories I've heard. So, sounds like you are doing great! :thumbup:

Good luck!
~Alissa
:flowers:
me - 35 DH - 38
1st IVF/ICSI May/June 2006 (w/ assis't hatch.)
ER/ET June 12th/15th
Beta June 28th: BFP! (1,065)
Twins!
S & T born at 28 wks & 6 days on Dec.19/06!

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:49 PM

Hi New Ivfer,
Welcome! :wavey:

I don't think you should be discouraged at all - your numbers sound good! I had 7 follicles on day 9 of stims (I don't recall the sizes of them at that stage) - and I was really worried but the doctor reassured me that often times, the numbers multiply by the time of ET. And sure enough, my ET was 4 days later and they retrieved 13 eggs (I had 14 follicles but one was empty). Of the 13 eggs, 8 fertilized and of the 8 embryos, 3 did well and were transferred back to me - they also did assisted hatching for me.

The women that are producing 30 eggs are often over stimulated and can suffer from OHSS - nothing you'd want from the stories I've heard. So, sounds like you are doing great! :thumbup:

Good luck!
~Alissa
:flowers:

Thanks so much for the response - I realize I am probably way to focused on every detail of this but i know from my other conception problems, most of us become obsessed when it comes to attempting pregnancy . . . :D Your experience really makes me feel optimistic!

Thanks again.

#4 jules

jules
  • 202 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Mt. Sinai Reproductive Biology Unit

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:10 PM

Hi newivfer,

I think that there is a definite range for how many follicles you want...but from our hospital and the advice I've read from Dr. hollands, they both state that you want anywhere from between 6 and 20 (at the most) and anything over 20 you risk overstimulation, poor egg quality and basicly your clinic is not looking out for your best health. I know that many women on the forum have had a lot of follicles and fortunately most have their stories have turned out alright but some did get OHSS, which drasticly decreases your chance for a BFP as your body is dealing with a lot of different things...especially with a lot of fluid accumulation in the abdomen. That being said, I think that most people stimulate differently every cycle because of different stresses and the way your body responds to the meds each time. I think that if you have follicles over 12mm(1.2cm) in size, they say that you will most likely get a mature egg...but ultimately they would like the over 15mm (1.5cm). They grow pretty rapidly at the end and 2 days can make a world of difference. I think that your cycle sounds great and hope that you are successful. Here's to a BFP!!

Take care,

Jules :)
me 33, dh 47
male infertility
me...some egg problems?
1st IVF/ICSE Aug 03 2 embryos BFN
2nd FET Oct 03 2 embryos BFN
3rd IVF/ICSE BFP!! Feb '04 2 embryos (5 and 7 cell)
Beautiful baby girl Oct 21, 04 (Alexandra)
Try for #2
1st IVF/ICSE Apr 24, '06 2 embryos (7 and 10 cell) BFN
2nd IVF/ICSE/TESE ER July 31 ET 2 Grade 2 8 cell embryos
Yeah, BFP!!!!! One sweet little babe...HR 162
Due April 21st
We are having a darling son!!
Baby Jack is here...born April 22, 07 (7lb 11oz)
Posted Image

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:47 AM

im on day 9 of stims and have 18 follies on my right side(all between 16-18mm) and 5 on my left side(10-15mm) so total of 25 and my FS wants to cancel due to risk of OHSS.

I would be happy with the follies that you have, hope all goes well

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:27 PM

im on day 9 of stims and have 18 follies on my right side(all between 16-18mm) and 5 on my left side(10-15mm) so total of 25 and my FS wants to cancel due to risk of OHSS.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:28 PM

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:31 PM

Hi,

I am new to this and am on day 8 of IVF meds stimulation - first cycle. I am going to be 42 later this year and have had my kids without IVF - however, I have experienced significant pregnancy loss duirng the efforts to have children - We would love to have one more child - Due to age and my recurrent miscarriage, ectopic history, we're doing IVF and PGD. Here is my question:

I am so confused as to what are good numbers for follicle development for me. On day 6 I had 10 follicles - 2 or 3 were a good size and the others were smaller. yesterday, I have a total of 13 follciles - 6 - 16 mm. Met with the doctor and he told me these are ok but "not great" numbers. Of course, I hear about the women who produce 30 eggs, etc. I also hear about those who are closer to my numbers and they seem to think they are good numbers. I think we are intending (subjectr to the sonogram and blood test results) to do the HCG trigger so that retrieval is either 4 or 5 days from now.

Can anyone share with me their personal experiences? Number of follicles developed during stimulatin (and size range), number of eggs that resulted? Where they were with follicles at day 8 of stimulation and the end result?

Wow...that is a great number...how many follicles did you have before starting IVF? Most women at 42 are lucky to have between 3-5 before starting ivf and then with stim meds the numbers go up.....

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:31 PM

Hi,

Wow...that is a great number...how many follicles did you have before starting IVF? Most women at 42 are lucky to have between 3-5 before starting ivf and then with stim meds the numbers go up.....

Not sure - since I am new to this, I think I may not be asking the right questions. Trying to stay positive but this process does become obsessive. :-)

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:47 PM

Hi,

I just had 3 embies transferred on Tuesday. I am 38, had 16 follicles, of which 11 were retrieved. Of those 11, 9 were fertilized, and only 4 became embies. 3 were grade 2, and 1 was grade 3, this is the one they didn't put in, hoping it would still divide, and they would be able to freeze it. Hopefully we won't need it...

Don't worry about sounding or feeling obsessive, this process has a way of doing that to you.