11 replies to this topic

#1 iheartmemories

iheartmemories
  • Global 100+
  • 400 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:NCCRM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:26 AM

My husband was on Androgel for low testerosterone for about a year. We decided then to start trying for a baby. His urologist informed him to discontinue the Androgel and start on Clomid, 25mg's, half a pill, every day at bedtime. 2 1/2 months later, he has a semen analysis and discovers there are ZERO sperm present. I was so hopeful he would have sperm, being on the Clomid. He has an 18 y/o daughter from a previous relationship, so I don't think he has any other issues. Maybe he needs to be on the Clomid longer?? A lot of info on the web says to give it at least four months. I've also read that HCG helps.... Any info/success stories/etc greatly appreciated.

Angela (36) and James (43)

Mia (9)

TTC # 2 via IVF Tubal Factor & Male Factor IF

Egg Retrieval

August 6, 2014

10 eggs / 8 mature / 6 fertilized

By day 5 and 6, four embryos made it to blast stage

FET #1 (Day 5 Blasts), failed icon_speech_sigh.gif 

FET # 2 (Day 6 Blasts), June 2015 eusa_pray.gif 

FET #2 Protocol:

BCP for 14-15 Days (start on June 1, 2015)

Endometrium Scratch & Saline Ultrasound (Day 12 while on BCP)

Estrogen Patches, PIO, Medrol, Aspirin, Prenatals, Vitamin D

Accupuncture

Transfer Date:   July 7, 2015

Beta Blood Test:  July 21, 2015

BFP ++++

babygirl.gif  Ava Marie due March 21, 2016 babygirl.gif 

FIND ME ON INSTAGRAM | angelamtonkin

BAAMm5.png

#2 Merry33

Merry33
  • 1000+
  • 1,208 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

If he has low testosterone it is not unlikely that he does indeed have issues. There is also secondary infertility among men, not just women (ie, he could have had no issues 20 years ago but could have severe issues now). Did your doctors do any more work-ups on your husband? I think he should have more testing done, but maybe wait a bit longer to make sure that all the effects that the androgel had on him are reversed.

Usually people wait for 3 months, to be on the safe side. the sperm production cycle lasts around 70 days or so (although some researchers say much less).

Clomid and HCG seem to sometimes help men who are "sub-fertile" (eg have somewhat low-ish counts), but it most often doesn't work with zero or very few sperm. But I think you need to find out first if your husband has zero sperm because of the androgel or because there is something else going on.

#3 leigh14

leigh14
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,454 posts
  • Dx:Immunological
  • My Clinic:Markham

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

Hi there,

Just wanted to chime in. My DH was on Androgel and we were he should go off it prior to us cycling. It does affect sperm production. And, it makes the testicles smaller.  This is something that we didn't know and were all set to cycle only to be called in by the urologist who noted that some of his lab numbers from his blood work were "off."  We waited 3 months and there was no problem. We were not successful in that cycle (likely not related to this issue) but were in a later cycle.  My DH had a vasectomy a number of years ago so we were pretty sure we could get sperm through aspiration but Androgel does affect sperm production.

Good luck!

Leigh

Me: 40
Dx: DH: Vasectomy; need IVF/ICSI ME: D.O.R. and many immunological issues. (Initially presented as "normal" but issues were only discovered after IVF attempt #2 and #3 after testing at new clinic)
IVF attempt #1 Nov.2009, Age 37: Long "Lupron" protocol
Dec.2009: Cycle cancelled due to oversuppression
IVF attempt #2, Age 38: April 2010: 3 eggs retrieved, 2 mature, 2 fertilized, ET of 2 embryos BFN
IVF atempt #3 at new clinic: November 2010, Age 38: 5 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 4 fertilized, ET of 2 blastocysts BFP
Strong beta numbers but babies not measuring on track but one heartbeat is present. Followup u/s reveals no HB's :( Had D&C--so sad.
Moved to new clinic closer to home + more of a focus on testing for potential immunological factors:
Further testing reveals three mutations related to inherited thrombophilia (2 MTHFR mutations and PA1-1 mutation), positive ANA, elevated NK cells and cytokines and low levels of leukocyte antibodies (LADS), Recommended Immunological treatment: Humira, LIT, IVig and blood thinners if PG
IVF Protocol: Low stim for me/ TESE needed for DH; took Humira in late August and early September; taking DHEA plus Co-Enzyme Q10, vitamins for DH just for good measure! September--two trips to Mexico for LIT treatment, treatments 3 weeks apart
Initial re-testing through Alan Beer Centre after some of the immune treatments reveals only cytokines were lowered, NKs still high and LAD numbers still low. Another LIT in Mexico is recommended. We decide to begin cycle on doctor's recommendation of just doing IVIG.
IVF#4, Age 39 : November 2011: Worst AFC EVER--a whopping 4! Three follicles responded, two eggs were retrieved. Three day transfer of two Grade 1 8 cell embryos: "Fahita" & "Burrito" Stick, stick, stick little ones!
BFP! Beta of 569
Viability u/s at 6 w 2d shows TWO babies measuring on track with heartbeats of 121. Looks like babies might be sharing the same amniotic sac.
Second u/s at 7w 2 d shows ONE baby with hb of 150, measuring 7 w 3 days. No sign of twin. Vanishing twin syndrome?
Third u/s at 8 w 2d shows ONE baby with hb of 170, measuring 8 w 3 days. Looks like a little jellybean!
12 week u/s at 12 w 2 days and baby is measuring 12 w 5 days with a heart beat of 150. Baby mooned us and waved at us with one hand....looked like a "royal" wave to me!
13 week doctor's appointment, HB=155 on doppler
14 week u/s to check cervix, HB=148
16 week u/s to check cervix, HB=138, baby had hiccups!
20 week u/s--everything looks good! HB=130, looks like we're having a GIRL!
IPS results very good!
39 weeks: Our baby girl arrived!!! She is healthy and beautiful! We are so happy! :)

Lilypie Maternity tickers

#4 iheartmemories

iheartmemories
  • Global 100+
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

If he has low testosterone it is not unlikely that he does indeed have issues. There is also secondary infertility among men, not just women (ie, he could have had no issues 20 years ago but could have severe issues now). Did your doctors do any more work-ups on your husband? I think he should have more testing done, but maybe wait a bit longer to make sure that all the effects that the androgel had on him are reversed.

Usually people wait for 3 months, to be on the safe side. the sperm production cycle lasts around 70 days or so (although some researchers say much less).

Clomid and HCG seem to sometimes help men who are "sub-fertile" (eg have somewhat low-ish counts), but it most often doesn't work with zero or very few sperm. But I think you need to find out first if your husband has zero sperm because of the androgel or because there is something else going on.

The urologist only checked his testosterone levels, at 2 months (after starting Clomid) and they went up to 500 something.  So, the Clomid was doing what it needed to do (help boost his testosterone levels).

Mia (9)

Egg Retrieval

August 6, 2014

FET #2 Protocol:

Accupuncture

BFP ++++

BAAMm5.png

#5 iheartmemories

iheartmemories
  • Global 100+
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

Hi there,

Just wanted to chime in. My DH was on Androgel and we were he should go off it prior to us cycling. It does affect sperm production. And, it makes the testicles smaller.  This is something that we didn't know and were all set to cycle only to be called in by the urologist who noted that some of his lab numbers from his blood work were "off."  We waited 3 months and there was no problem. We were not successful in that cycle (likely not related to this issue) but were in a later cycle.  My DH had a vasectomy a number of years ago so we were pretty sure we could get sperm through aspiration but Androgel does affect sperm production.

Good luck!

Leigh

Glad to hear you were successful!! :)  I hope when he goes in next month, to have another SA, it shows some swimmers.  At that point, it'll be 3 1/2 months after coming off of the Androgel.

Mia (9)

Egg Retrieval

August 6, 2014

FET #2 Protocol:

Accupuncture

BFP ++++

BAAMm5.png

#6 Merry33

Merry33
  • 1000+
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

The urologist only checked his testosterone levels, at 2 months (after starting Clomid) and they went up to 500 something.  So, the Clomid was doing what it needed to do (help boost his testosterone levels).

Yes, clomid does seem to improve testosterone levels most of the time (but not always sperm production unfortunately). With other testing I rather meant checking his FSH/LH, imaging etc.

#7 iheartmemories

iheartmemories
  • Global 100+
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

Yes, clomid does seem to improve testosterone levels most of the time (but not always sperm production unfortunately). With other testing I rather meant checking his FSH/LH, imaging etc.

No other testing...  I guess most men who are on the Androgel have low or no sperm so she thought the Clomid would help both sperm count and boost testosterone.  There was an article about a study that was done on men who took Androgel.  The majority of them started producing sperm at around 3.7 months after discontinuation of the Androgel.

Mia (9)

Egg Retrieval

August 6, 2014

FET #2 Protocol:

Accupuncture

BFP ++++

BAAMm5.png

#8 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 784 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

My DH has been on clomid for coming up 4 months now to increase his testosterone levels. Our first opinion just shrugged off his low t-counts and referred us to IVF with ICSI, but having low t-count can cause other health issues that we at minimum wanted to address. 

We had a second opinion instantly place him on clomid. He went from initally having less than 1 million count (they wouldn't even count them when it was that low), to 1.3 million just on the vitamin supplements he was taking while we waited for our 2nd opinion appt.... and a month ago at his 3 month follow-up appt his SA showed it had gone up to 3 million with clomid. They have since increased his clomid dose because he's still feeling a lack of energy and encouraged him to start lifting weights to assist with energy and t-count, though it has gone up to a normal level. We are waiting to see what his blood work says after being on a month of the increased dose of clomid because if his estradiol levels are elivated (which clomid does) they are going to also place him on arimidex in conjunction to the clomid.Some couples have had great results with this combination, though unfortunately clomid isn't guaranteed to work as we were warned my DH may not respond to it.... we are one of the fortunate couples that he is slowly responding to it.

If they haven't already, maybe ask his family physician or urologist if they will check the following:

1- testosterone

2- free testosterone

3- prolactin

4- estradiol

5- FSH

6- LH

Best of luck and feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions. :)

See full journey details on my profile:

About Us:

​Trying to conceive since 2013 (male factor); Me: 39 yrs old; DH: 37 yrs old; low testosterone; very low sperm count; on Clomid for testosterone

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

- Retrieval: 22 eggs retrieved; 8 injected (ICSI); 6 fertilized; 4 embryos divided - 2 embryos are 4 cell grade 1, 1 embryo is 5 cell grade 2, and 1 embryo is 8 cell grade 2

FET #1 - medicated cycle (2014)

- transferred two day-3s: one 10 cell grade 1 and one 12 cell grade 2; Beta: BFN; approved to do a natural FET next time

FET #2 - Non-medicated cycle (2014)

- added Teva-Doxycycline 100mg (antibiotic) started one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished) 

- transferred two day-3 embies (1 is 10 cell grade 2 and 1 is 12 cell grade 2); took 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg 45mins before FET        

​- HPT = th_abfp.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifth_abfp.gif  Welcomed our little babygirl.gif in summer of 2015

~ 2016/17IVF Cycle #2: Project Sibling

Cycle Info:

Oct. 29: Retrieval - 23 eggs retrieved; will be a freeze all cycle

Nov. 2: Dostinex 0.5mg every other day for a total of 8 days has started to alleviate OHSS 

Nov. 4: Day 6 report: 5 embryos on ice... yay! 4 day-5s (4AA and 3 are 4BC quality) and 1 day-6 (5BC quality)

FET #1 - Non-medicated cycle (2017)

Feb. 6: start Teva-Doxycycline antibiotic100mg one day before procedure
Feb. 7: scheduled transfer at 11:45am; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer; transfer of one 4AA blast

Feb.20: BETA - BFN; approved to go right into another natural FET with no cycle in between

FET #2 - Non-medicated cycle (2017)

Feb.24: CD3 - u/s and b/w= nothing said about lining; E2 19, LH 4.4 IU/L, FSH 6.6 IU/L, Prolactin 8.1 Ng/mL, TSH 2.22 IU/L, Progesterone 1.6 nmol/L, Glucose 4.1 - I requested (norm is 3.6-7.7); back on CD15; acupuncture 2x weekly until fet to try and bring on LH surge sooner than CD17.

Mar.6: OPK positive in the evening so looks like I will be going into the clinic tomorrow

Mar.7: CD14 - u/s and b/w= 11mm triple lining; E2 712, LH 32 IU/L

Mar.8: CD15 - b/w= confirmed LH surge was yesterday; E2 343, LH 8.12 IU/L; start Endometrin 3x/daily

Mar.11: start Doxycycline antibiotic 100mg (8 pills total) one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished

Mar.12: scheduled transfer at 10am of one 4BA blast; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer

Mar.23: HPT = th_abfp.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifth_abfp.gif

​Mar.25: BETA scheduled

#9 iheartmemories

iheartmemories
  • Global 100+
  • 400 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

My DH has been on clomid for coming up 4 months now to increase his testosterone levels. Our first opinion just shrugged off his low t-counts and referred us to IVF with ICSI, but having low t-count can cause other health issues that we at minimum wanted to address. 

We had a second opinion instantly place him on clomid. He went from initally having less than 1 million count (they wouldn't even count them when it was that low), to 1.3 million just on the vitamin supplements he was taking while we waited for our 2nd opinion appt.... and a month ago at his 3 month follow-up appt his SA showed it had gone up to 3 million with clomid. They have since increased his clomid dose because he's still feeling a lack of energy and encouraged him to start lifting weights to assist with energy and t-count, though it has gone up to a normal level. We are waiting to see what his blood work says after being on a month of the increased dose of clomid because if his estradiol levels are elivated (which clomid does) they are going to also place him on arimidex in conjunction to the clomid.Some couples have had great results with this combination, though unfortunately clomid isn't guaranteed to work as we were warned my DH may not respond to it.... we are one of the fortunate couples that he is slowly responding to it.

If they haven't already, maybe ask his family physician or urologist if they will check the following:

1- testosterone

2- free testosterone

3- prolactin

4- estradiol

5- FSH

6- LH

Best of luck and feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions. smile.png

I tried to PM you but it wouldn't let me tuzki-bunny-emoticon-029.gif

His FSH has been checked...  it was 0.3 before starting Clomid (this was while still on Androgel).   2 1/2 months on the Clomid, it is 22.3, which is above normal range but I've heard that is common with Clomid.  Testosterone on Clomid, at the 2 1/2 month mark was 530.

Mia (9)

Egg Retrieval

August 6, 2014

FET #2 Protocol:

Accupuncture

BFP ++++

BAAMm5.png

#10 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 784 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

iheartmemories.... I'll PM you. :)

See full journey details on my profile:

About Us:

​Trying to conceive since 2013 (male factor); Me: 39 yrs old; DH: 37 yrs old; low testosterone; very low sperm count; on Clomid for testosterone

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

- Retrieval: 22 eggs retrieved; 8 injected (ICSI); 6 fertilized; 4 embryos divided - 2 embryos are 4 cell grade 1, 1 embryo is 5 cell grade 2, and 1 embryo is 8 cell grade 2

FET #1 - medicated cycle (2014)

- transferred two day-3s: one 10 cell grade 1 and one 12 cell grade 2; Beta: BFN; approved to do a natural FET next time

FET #2 - Non-medicated cycle (2014)

- added Teva-Doxycycline 100mg (antibiotic) started one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished) 

- transferred two day-3 embies (1 is 10 cell grade 2 and 1 is 12 cell grade 2); took 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg 45mins before FET        

​- HPT = th_abfp.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifth_abfp.gif  Welcomed our little babygirl.gif in summer of 2015

~ 2016/17IVF Cycle #2: Project Sibling

Cycle Info:

Oct. 29: Retrieval - 23 eggs retrieved; will be a freeze all cycle

Nov. 2: Dostinex 0.5mg every other day for a total of 8 days has started to alleviate OHSS 

Nov. 4: Day 6 report: 5 embryos on ice... yay! 4 day-5s (4AA and 3 are 4BC quality) and 1 day-6 (5BC quality)

FET #1 - Non-medicated cycle (2017)

Feb. 6: start Teva-Doxycycline antibiotic100mg one day before procedure
Feb. 7: scheduled transfer at 11:45am; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer; transfer of one 4AA blast

Feb.20: BETA - BFN; approved to go right into another natural FET with no cycle in between

FET #2 - Non-medicated cycle (2017)

Feb.24: CD3 - u/s and b/w= nothing said about lining; E2 19, LH 4.4 IU/L, FSH 6.6 IU/L, Prolactin 8.1 Ng/mL, TSH 2.22 IU/L, Progesterone 1.6 nmol/L, Glucose 4.1 - I requested (norm is 3.6-7.7); back on CD15; acupuncture 2x weekly until fet to try and bring on LH surge sooner than CD17.

Mar.6: OPK positive in the evening so looks like I will be going into the clinic tomorrow

Mar.7: CD14 - u/s and b/w= 11mm triple lining; E2 712, LH 32 IU/L

Mar.8: CD15 - b/w= confirmed LH surge was yesterday; E2 343, LH 8.12 IU/L; start Endometrin 3x/daily

Mar.11: start Doxycycline antibiotic 100mg (8 pills total) one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished

Mar.12: scheduled transfer at 10am of one 4BA blast; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer

Mar.23: HPT = th_abfp.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifth_abfp.gif

​Mar.25: BETA scheduled

#11 Merry33

Merry33
  • 1000+
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

The problem is - none of these values will really give you "the real picture", as they're both off because of first the androgel and now the clomid.

#12 Aiti

Aiti
  • 64 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:11 AM

Best of luck

IVF clinic: Bawaseer Ka Ilaj

Married since: 4 years
Azoospermia

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: azoospermia, androgel, low testosterone, clomid