- - - - -

Diatomaceous Earth and IVF

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MichelleP

MichelleP
  • Cyclebase
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Life Coaching, knitting, crochet, scrapbooking, singing, music, walking, staying active, reading, health, nutrition, bellydancing
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Calgary

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

Recently I have found the amazing benefits of Diatomaceous Earth and having a windfall of healing with it (regulating sleep disorders, allergies, sinusitis, anemia, parasite cleanses, etc.)  I have read that it is safe to take while pregnant as it is non-chemical.  It sweeps the intestines clean of parasites, fugus, molds, bacterias, etc.  

My concern is can I continue to take it while using IVF drugs?  Will it create an issue with the effectiveness of the drugs?  

Thank you,

Michelle

#2 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 780 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:White Lotus Naturopathic

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

Hi Michelle, 

thanks for this interesting question!  Diatomaceous earth is a compound made mostly of fossilized remains of hard shelled algae.  It has a powderlike consistency.  It is used mostly for the treatment of parasites, yeast, and intestinal concerns.  There are different grades of diatomaceous earth, in the food grade it is comprised mostly of amorphous silica which is the safe type.   Other lower grades may contain the type of silica that can cause silicosis.  Most of the earth you buy at the health food store is the higher quality food grade and thus is quite safe from what we know.  It is not well absorbed in the body and appears to be mostly excreted through the stool, having most of its action in the intestine.

As to using it in pregnancy, currently there isn't any evidence for diatomaceous earth in the perinatal period.  When it comes to IVF and pregnancy I always try to err on the side of caution and because it does contain silica it might be best to avoid it while going through cycles/pregnancy.  

I hope that this is helpful and good luck with your cycle!

Dr. Fiona

Dr. Fiona McCulloch, BSc., ND : Naturopathic Doctor, Integrative Women's Health & Fertility
White Lotus Integrative Medicine
Greenfield Ave, Suite 201
North York, Ontario, M2N 3CBCanada
phone (416) 730-8218