• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 smc1982

smc1982
  • 71 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Fertility ontario

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:36 AM

This is gonna be long,nut I would appreciate and advice please. I did a round of IVF in July, and had a huge period like bleed 5 days before my positive beta result. That beta came back at 33 and the following came back at 53.6. My clinic was satisfied and did not feel I needed a follow up beta at all. Fast forward to 4 days later and ended up in emerge with right aided cramps and spotting...beta was 78... Automatically they start talking ectopic so they requested an ultrasound...I was 5 weeks pregnant at this point so they were only able to see a 1.5 cm mass in my right tube but no sac in the uterus...they had me go back 4 days later for another beta and it was down to 5. So the doc is confident that it was an ectopic pregnancy bit because my betas were so low and the mass so small, I would either pass it naturally or the body would absorb it. I had 2 different OBs say this in confidence in emerge. But my fertility clinic called me yesterday and said that it never passes on its own and that I needed to get the shot of chemotherapy drug...I am so confused as to what to do...I am getting mixed answers to alot of questions...I was told by the OB that I need to wait 3 months at least before doing a FET and the clinic is telling me I can start on my next cycle... My clinic has been in th news a lot lately...so just not sure if they have my best interest in mind. Help!
TTC 5 years
Hubby had varicocele surgery 5 years ago with little success so onto a FC
We have done 6 IUIs since then and I recently found out I have DOR and Insulin Resistance

5 x IUI - all BFN

July 25, 2013 - ER, retrieved 10 egg, 8 were mature and 7 fertilized with ICSI.
July 28 - transferred 2 grade 2 8 cell embroyos... Waiting to hear if the 5 others made it to freezing
July 31 - 4 frosties!! Yay
August 29 - ectopic :(
July 2014 - new clinic
Oct 5, 2014 - FET of a day 3 grade 3aa embryo - BFN
Dec 3 /14 - transfer of 1 Day 3 frosting - BFN
OCT 25 - transfer 2 day 3 frosties

#2 sharlene

sharlene
  • Cyclebase
  • 1737 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:USA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

Hi.  I'm really not liking your situation and worse, the responses you're getting.  Do you have a gynecologist of your own that you trust that you can go see?  Ectopics should be monitored to make sure it goes the way it is supposed to - I don't get the impression you even have another appt to see anyone.  I also think you should give your body a month or two to recuperate - you haven't even finished with the cells in your body now - I'd like a second (third?) opinion - and sooner than later.

Good luck - it often takes more than one IVF to find success - so don't be too discouraged by this experience - just get it sorted, behind you, and look forward to the next one! (that looking forward part helped me get through a miscarraige)

• mouse, lexi and KennyandFooty like this

#3 Maralee

Maralee
  • Cyclebase
  • 2291 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Foothills, Now Victoria

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:26 PM

smc-it's a methotrexate shot, very confusing.  Hard to know what/who to believe, but may want to ask your family doctor on this (if you trust them).  Your beta is lowering, which is a good sign, but ectopics (from what I know) can rise and fall betas, because they're not viable.  But my impression of methotrexate is that it's used for molar pregnancies, not ectopics.  And yes you MUST wait a period of time after a methotrexate shot to conceive.  Methotrexate is used for other things (mainly arthritis), and although it's in my scope of practice (as a nurse), I refuse to give it because it can cause problems in fetus when TTC.  I thought the waiting period was actually longer, like 6 months.  Oh you are getting such confusing advice!  I hope it gets resolved for your sake!

Me 30, 31, 32 Hubs 35, 36, 37

See about me for past history
IVF 2
Jan 2013-awaiting consult at VFC...
Feb 2013-Consult a success, off to victoria we go!  Looking at April.  Meanwhile, started gluten/dairy reduced diet with a ton of supplements.  Feeling great!
Day 1...Mar13/13
LH surge Mar 24 Start estrace Mar 27
Day 1, April 8
Fly to VFC April 9-u/s and blood work-all OK
April 10-start stims Gonal 225, saizen 1.66mg, repronex 75
April 15-u/s and bw, all good, 6 follies, all same size, continue and next u/s and bw apr 17
April 17-u/s and bw-all good, 7 follies, similar size, continue and next u/s apr 18.  ER on april 20 or 21
April 18-bw good, u/s now 10 follies but starting to separate in size.  Back tomorrow, ER april 21/22?
April 19-bw good, 1/2 of follies ready...trigger tonight, ER on April 21
April 21-9 retrieved.  Awaiting fertilization reports... fingers crossed!
April 22-Amazing news, 8 out of 9 are mature and all 8 fertilize, 1/2 by ICSI, 1/2 by regular.  How could that happen?
April 23-All 8 still going, mix of 15-19/20
April 24-6 still going, 2 transferred-an 19/20 and 18/20, 2 frozen a 18/20, 17/20, and 2 in culture to day 5-wait and see
May 8-OMG, positive beta!!  517, wow! 14dp3dt
May 10-beta 1060.  Yay!!
May 27-viability u/s...both took, it's twins!  Heartbeats around 140, 1 measures a couple days behind.  CRAZY!
June 16-10 wk u/s, both still growing, hb's 172 and 165. 
July 2-Nuchal-excellent.  Fell in love with them.  hb's 168 and 160, both measure a couple days ahead now.
Aug 16- 18 week detailed, both are amazing.  Team green! Cord insertion issue with baby A discovered.
Oct 10-27wk 4 day, A is 2 lbs, B is 2.2 lbs...may have seen a penis and sac on one of them.
Nov 7-30wk 4 day, A is 3lbs 13 oz, B is 4lbs 2 oz, this is going to hurt.
Nov 21-32wk 4 day, A is 4lbs, B is 4 lbs 8 oz, starting to slow down a bit, and both head down.
Dec 4-34 wk 3 day, A is 5 lbs 2 oz, B is 5 lbs 5 oz, A head down and engaged, B now breech.

Dec 17-after falling down the stairs, our baby boy and girl arrived at 36 weeks, small but healthy
Welcome Abigael and Colin.

Fr3Am7.png

#4 amandaTTC#2

amandaTTC#2
  • 1000+
  • 1064 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:35 PM

Methotrexate is used for ectopics, but even with the shot it is still important to have proper follow up care. After my ectopic I ended up falling through the cracks. My RE and the OB who treated me in the ER both assumed the other was following up. I went for weekly blood HCG tests and the results were forwarded to both plus the lab would tell me. It took 2+ months to get down to 7 at which point I stopped testing. A month later I had a diagnostic laparoscopy and my RE found products of conception still in the fallopian tube. I ended up losing the tube, but was still able to conceive with a functional tube on the other side.

The issue with cycling after the methotrexate shot is that it depletes the natural folate in your body which if course is needed for a healthy pregnancy. You can not resume taking folic acid supplements until your HCG is down because it interferes with the methotrexate.

It's definitely something that requires follow up and close monitoring. I do hope you're able to get more support. Even try your GP if necessary!

Me: 32 SO: 32
Endometriosis - undiagnosed until laparoscopy in Jan 2012

No problems TTC #1, DS born in March 2008

TTC #2 since July 2009
Started seeing RE Sept 2010
Blood tests show I'm not ovulating, HSG shows right tube is blocked but hysteroscopy was all clear.

2010/2011
4 cycles clomid + TI = BFN
2 cycles clomid, repronex & progesterone + IUI = BFN

Diagnostic Laparoscopy tentatively scheduled for September 13th.

Lap cancelled 09/12/11 due to complete surprise natural BFP, Betas fluctuating, confirmed ectopic. Methotrexate on September 29th.

Diagnostic Laparoscopy rescheduled for January 10th, 2012. Right tube removed, too damaged from the ectopic to save. Lots of endometriosis found and cleaned up.

IUI#3 was a miserable failure. Did not respond at all to repronex. Taking a cycle off before trying Gonal-F

Another natural BFP on April 5th (SO's birthday)!!! EDD December 12th, Cole Marshall arrived December 8th, 7lbs 6oz!

#5 gracegirl

gracegirl
  • 1000+
  • 1160 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

I took methotrexate for my ectopic a year ago (and yes, you have to stop taking folic acid). I had a beta every 2 days for 2 weeks to make sure the levels were dropping...I was off work and I couldn't be left alone (in case of rupture). I ended up being off work for the full two weeks...and then once my beta was 1, I could return to work.

I also had to wait 3 months to try again. I was told this is because methotrexate stops or prevents cell growth.