• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 WaitingTooPatiently

WaitingTooPatiently
  • 45 posts
  • Dx:Vasectomy
  • My Clinic:Ovo

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

I have been a lurker for nearly two years now, the what are you tired of thread really made me feel like I was not alone. After yesterday, for the first time I now feel like I really need to ask for advice and had to create an account. I tried to write a signature but it became an epic novel and not a signature, I guess because I waited so long before joining.

Me: 39 No diagnosed issues

DH: 39, Nov 2000 - Vasectomy, Sep 2008 - Vasectomy reversal: Vasovasostomy

(DH has two children from previous marriage, vasectomy performed after first wife's severe postpartum depression following second son's birth. Ironically she would go on to have another child after divorce.)

June 2009 - Wedding, begin TTC in earnest, custody problems with DSs and my immigration (Me: American, Husband: Canadian) place TTC on back-burner.

Jan 2012 - Sperm count found to have dropped from 4 million and climbing post reversal, down to 1 million, morphology and motility 1%.  Urologist feels possible blockage, believes surgery recovery time would be too long, with great chance of no improvement. Prognosis: IVF, with ICSI, possibly TESA. Questions concerning improving sperm count, quality, vitamins, IUI or any other option is automatically dismissed. 1st Heartbreak that natural, oops, or surprise will never happen. Have to wait for my Carte de soleil before we can start IVF.

July 2012 - First appointment with my doctor, ask if ICSI is 100%necessary, is there anything my husband can do to improve chances, she looks at urologists report, not really, on the day of collection they can decide what must be done.
Sep/Oct 2012 - All my necessary exams, taken, passed and releases filed. Ovarian reserve: 7 left, 9 right, told I had the ovaries of a woman 5 years younger. Initial heartbreak healing, very optimistic. Tech did mention uterus looks great, but saw very small fibroid, says "No reason to be concerned, may be a problem in a few years"

Nov 2012 - Name placed on list

Dec 2012 - Name at top of the list

Jan 2013 -  IVF #1 Begin Antagonist protocol. 375 ui Repronex. Ultrasounds show I am "responding well, very good" but not ready, yet. Refilling prescription, I remark to pharmacist they should package the water separate, because when I mix all 5 - 75ui powder bottles in one vial, the 4 unused sterile water are a waste. He seems surprised" You're taking all five a day?", I say yes, he looks surprised but says nothing more.

Feb 2013 - Retrieval. 23 ova retrieved 20 mature. DH's sperm collected "regular way", told that TESA wasn't necessary. In the hallway exiting clinic after retrieval, receive cell phone call. It's the clinic, my blood work shows my hormone levels are too high, my fresh transfer has been cancelled, must wait two months, any embryos will be frozen, embryologist will call in three days. Embryologist Report : 23 ova, 20 mature, 14 successfully fertilized through ICSI, only 4 embryos survived to day 3 frozen, a fifth embryo was allowed to go to day 5 but arrested. Embryologist about to get off phone, I ask about quality, run around about different places, different terms, mumbles something about 2. Optimism totally obliterated.
March 2013 - Meeting with doctor before FET, 39 birthday approaching discusses if I am comfortable with two embryo transfer, Quebec prefers 1, usually never 2 before the age of 37, or unless there is a history of failed implantation. I say I am fine with that. Doctor calls to embryologist, and is told there were frozen in pairs already. I question about quality, told they are "good". Leave office wondering if they were "good" why were they already frozen in pairs before I was asked.

April 2013 Get paperwork and meeting for FET in May, meeting is with other women, notice all have same paperwork, realize I am doing FET substituted cycle, don't know why I wouldn't do natural.
May 2013 - FET #1 (2 - 9 cell, grade 2 embryos) while on the table is the first I hear they are 9 celled, everyone kept using the word perfect throughout the procedure, began to irritate me, because perfect means can't get and better, and a fresh transfer with 8 celled grade 1 would be "perfect". BFN

June 2013 - Appointment after failed transfer, doctor asks for first time if my periods are regular, they are, she says we will try natural FET next round. I am wondering why it wasn't done first round. I want to discuss what can be done to improve chances for IVF #2, once again ask what DH can do, again told "nothing really". I suggest maybe he should loose weight, because of correlation between weight and estrogen levels. Doctor says he is not overweight, DH responds he is actually obese by medical standards, he just carries it well, tells her his weight and height, she calculates BMI and is surprised, still responds, it wouldn't really help that much. Says from first round sperm was "sticky" hard to separate and choose good sperm for ICSI. Method for separation will be prescribed for next IVF. Will not prescribe such high dosage for stimulation for me. I tell the doctor these are the things that I want to know, that we are changes things that aren't work. Doctor says it isn't necessary to know everything that's going on, it causes people needless worry. DH tells her she doesn't know me. The unknown worries me more, not knowing the cause and feeling that important things are not being addressed, believing there were no problems discovered in the first round, /or no changes being made, why would we feel it would be successful the second time, so yes, we would like to know these things. Doctor prescribes, additional blood work and Hysteroscopy if not pregnant after transfer. DH gets prescription for vitamins DNA fragmentation test.

July 2013 - FET #2 ( 1 - 11 cell grade 2, 1 - 10 cell grade 2 (degenerated after thaw to 6 - cell, transferred both anyway) The word perfect thrown around again. Same doctor who did last transfer, he even threw in "comme un rêve", this time. BFN.

Yesterday - Bad Appointment with doctor, tell her I already went for blood work, DH test will be taken the day of my hysteroscopy  which the next week. I hint that, even though I am fully prepared to do it to rule out possible issues, I don't really feel the hysteroscopy is unnecessary, my feeling is embryo quality is the reason for the failures and that I'd like to do what ever is necessary to improve the embryo quality. She says "You had a lot of eggs." I say yes, She says "You had 20, when there really should have been 8, when there's too many the egg quality can suffer." I wonder if I am being hyper sensitive, but I am irritated by this statement because 1. I feel like she's telling me this is something I caused, 2. This would confirm my feeling that a hysteroscopy isn't really necessary. She seems to want to get me out f the office, I know she is behind schedule because I waited an hour from when my appointment was scheduled, she asks me if I take Vitamin D, I answer not specifically, she fills a prescription and tells me "It's the new thing." I feel I haven't really been heard, but before I leave I want to mention that although neither resulted a pregnancy I felt better with the Natural as opposed to the Substitute cycle, during the substituted I didn't feel anything, not happy, or sad, or excited. She says "that's because you decided it wasn't going to work". That doesn't make sense to me because the quality of embryo on the Natural were far worse than the Substituted. She goes on to say "You had six embryos transferred..." I cut her off and say four, she says "No, six". I am stunned that she told me, No. I fully understand she has hundreds of cases and I am not bothered she had it wrong, but I was stunned, and a little angry that she didn't think I knew. She says, "You had two fresh, and two each in two frozen transfers." I tell her "No, only five survived past day three, one arrested being allowed to go to day five, I never had a fresh transfer and was extremely upset that it had to be been canceled because my hormone levels were too high. I had two FET's of two, one of which had a degenerated embryo, so I find its closer to three really."  She looks a her computer. "Yes...that's not many, well I see here that your husbands sperm was very stuck together, perhaps we should go with a TESA next time." I am too angry, confused, and upset to do anything, but take my prescription and leave.

Here lies the real question, is this enough reason to change clinics, to change doctors. I am American in Quebec so that factors into my thinking. I have a friend in the US going broke trying to make their dream of children a reality, even though some of the tests and portions of medication aren't covered, we are nowhere near being sent to the poor house over this. I do anything they say and follow any order because I am just so grateful. I was also so excited how fast things went, I am terrified of switching clinics to go on a waiting list. I don't want to seem like this is my husbands fault  and there's nothing wrong with me or be insensitive to anyone on this board, but there really is no problems with me. That most certainly will not be remain the case, randomly things could change, age will catch up to me, it's coming soon, I don't want to waste any time, I am afraid that his fertility issues will someday become our fertility issues and decrease our chances of having a child together. I also have always felt more comfortable with the devil you know.

#2 ladylazarus

ladylazarus
  • Cyclebase
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:Being a good pilgrim...
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

First, I'm so sorry for your heartbreak and frustration. One of the 'truths' I got from this site is that you need to trust your doctor. If you don't, then it's time to get a second and/or third opinion. I found it incredibly aggravating to be treated like a number, for specifics of my case to be forgotten, or to hear AFTER THE FACT and off the cuff, that maybe something different should have been tried. We spend all this emotional energy, time and money, even if in certain places it's in the form of taxes, only to feel that we aren't being treated with the best care and taken seriously.

I agree and think you have good instincts; you have no more time to waste on a clinic that seems to be botching your case left and right. Better a second opinion now with a little more delay than to be kicking yourself down the road by sticking with 'the devil'. Good luck!!!

• Lisa1981 likes this

#3 gandere1

gandere1
  • Global 100+
  • 184 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:T.B.D.

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

If your gut is telling you that you don't trust your doctor, or feel that they are listening to your needs. It is time to find someone who will. Getting a second opinon, or a new set of eyes on your history, protocol, etc. is never a bad idea. It can give you more insight, or they might agree with your current clinic. It is about you. From my experience, I wasted to long with a clinic and doctor who wasn't going to get me results. The new clinic saw my case with a fresh pair of eyes and gave me options. Trust your instinct.

• Lisa1981 likes this

Me - 43 DH - 43

#4 Graceland

Graceland
  • Global 100+
  • 305 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:OFC then, Hannam now

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

I switched clinics because, in the end, I felt like my first RE wasn't paying attention to the big picture. I switched to Hannam Fertility Centre in Toronto (I live in Ottawa) and it's been a night-and-day difference for us. Now, I feel our case has been a bit tricky so I'm not trying to slam my previous clinic, but my old RE wanted to continue to take the same approach over and over when I just knew she was missing something. I'm still not pregnant, but my latest cycle went extremely better than my previous ones and I can't help but feel we're on our way to our take home baby soon. Trust your gut. Why not book a phone consult with one or two REs that interest you and go from there? That's what we did and after speaking with Dr. Hannam, we knew he was the right choice. He even hooked us up with a phone consult with Dr. Gustofson at CCRM in Denver who suggested we try a couple of new things for our next cycle (IVF #4). Dr. Hannam incorporated his suggestions and voila - a great cycle.

I'm sorry your journey has been so difficult.

• Lisa1981 likes this

Me - 34, DH - 32, TTC since April 2010, Dx: Stage I endometriosis, tubal issues

Natural BFP January 2011: Ectopic rupture @5w6d, loss of right tube

IVF/ICSI #1 (January 2012 - OFC):

• 7 eggs retrieved, 6 mature, 6 fertilized
  • Day 3 transfer of 2 embryos (7-4 and 7-3): BFP but chemical pregnancy

IVF/ICSI #2 (April/May 2012 - OFC):

• 10 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 5 fertilized
  • Day 3 transfer of 2 embryos (8-3 and 7-3): BFN

IVF/ICSI #3 (October/November 2012 - Hannam):

• 8 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 8 fertilized
  • Day 5 transfer of 2 morula: BFN

IVF/ICSI #4 (March/April 2013 - Hannam):

• 26 eggs retrieved, 24 mature, 20 fertilized
  • 1 day-5 (3AA) and 3 day-6 (3AA, 3AA, 3AA) blastocysts frozen! Planned freeze-all cycle

FET #1 (July/August 2013 - Hannam):

• 1 day-5 (now a 4AA) and 1 day-6 (3AA) blastocysts on board!
  • BFP at 5dp5dt!
  • Beta results low and slowly rising: 235 @14dp5dt, 350 @16dp5dt
  • First ultrasound @5w2d: Ectopic pregnancy... loss of left tube

FET #2 (October/November 2013 - Hannam):

• 2 day-6 (3AA) blastocysts on board!
  • BFP at 5dp6dt (spotting from 6dp6dt to 9dp6dt)
  • Beta results: 50 @8dp6dt, 201 @12dp6dt, 624 @14dp6dt!
  • First ultrasound @5w3d: Uterine pregnancy finally! Baby measuring 5w2d
  • Second ultrasound @7w2d: Heartbeat of 143 bpm! Baby measuring 7w1d
  • Third ultrasound @8w3d: Heartbeat of 178 bpm! Baby measuring 8w3d
  • Fourth ultrasound @9w2d: No heartbeat. D&C with genetic testing: a baby girl with Turner Syndrome

IVF/ICSI #5 (March/April 2014 - Hannam): 

• 18 eggs retrieved, 15 mature, 13 fertilized
  • 1 day-5 (2BC) and 2 day-6 (3AA, 3AB)  blastocysts frozen! Planned freeze-all cycle

FET #3 (July/August 2014 - Hannam):

• 1 day-5 (now a 3BC) and 2 day-6 (3AA & 3AB) blastocysts on board!
  •  BFP at 8dp5dt but line is slowly fading... chemical pregnancy

#5 Sandibeach

Sandibeach

Honorary PhD

• Cyclebase
  • 1,838 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Mtl Fert / Ottawa Fert / Hannam Fert

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

I've gone to three different clinics and switching was the best thing I did...got pregnant first try with both new clinics... (yes I went back to the original after my first pregnancy and huge mistake).  I see your in Quebec...now things have changed lots there since I went, but go see Dr. Mahutte at the Montreal Fertility Clinic... he is awesome..he's also an american - studied at Harvard and is amazing..unfortunately the very personalized care he used to offer is not as much, but he is a wonderful doctor and he got me pregnant with my son.  I didn't go back because free IVF - the lineups are crazy, I'm subject to the quebec rules and I would need to pay anyways... all the best!

ME-39 DH-39
TTC 9 years
Unexplained infertility / mild male factor
6 Cycles Clomid - BFN
1 Laproscopy
2 IUI's- BFN
1st IVF - April 2008 - M/C @ 6 wks - OFC
1st Beta 25, 2nd Beta 87, 3rd Beta 257 BFP
2nd IVF - January 2y009 - No transfer - OFC
ER 23 eggs, 20 mature, 17 fertilized - TOTAL EPIC FAILURE - ALL 17 Embies arrested in development by Day 5
3rd IVF - June 2009 - This is it! - New Clinic - Montreal Fertility Centre
ER: June 8th - 16 fertilized eggs (no frosties)
ET: June 11th (2 excellent 8cell) & 13th (1 perfect blast)
HPT++++
June 24 1st Beta: 312 BFP
June 26 2nd Beta: 682
July 13 US: Singleton HB 130
July 25 US: HB 175 saw fetus moving
Aug 8 US: HB 165 all perfect
Aug 17 US: HB 157 all perfect
Oct 5 US: It's a BOY!!!!
Born March 3, 2010 - Julien Tristan
May 2011 - Natural BFP - Ectopic
Now trying the old fashion way - Bust
4th IVF - Dec 2011 - Back to OFC
Jan 16 - ER 11 eggs - 3 mature, 2 fertilized (OFC f**ked up again - triggered me too soon)
Jan 18 - Emergency Day 2 ET - 2 4 cell embryo's transferred
Feb 2 - Beta - BFN
5th & Final IVF - July 2012 - 3rd opinion - Hannam Fertility
Satelitte monitoring at OFC
ER - July 24
ET - July 27
Beta - Aug 10
Transferred 3 perfect embryos - 1 blast frozen
Aug 6 - HPT ++++++
Aug 8th Beta - 225 BFP
Aug 10th Beta - 445
Aug 27th US ~ 1 perfect little bean HB 120
Sept 10th US - all good HB 162
Due Date: April 16th, 2013 It's a GIRL!!!
Born April 9th, 2013 - Amelia Danica

#6 waity katie

waity katie
  • Global 100+
  • 198 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:MFC

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

Hi WaitingTooPatiently,

I also live in QC (I'm not from here, but I've lived here for 5 years) and Ovo was my first clinic. I've been going through IVF treatments for 3 years now and I've learned three main things. One, you are your own best advocate. Two, you need to trust your doctor. Three, you MUST listen to your gut.

I had the same experience at Ovo, and in my humble opinion you need to leave. I know that sometimes you can feel like there's enough to deal with and enough unknowns without adding a new clinic into the mix, but if you feel like you should leave and you're not being heard you need to pay attention to that. Don't ignore your gut and level of discomfort/dissatisfaction. There are MUCH better clinics out there, I promise! 

I did two natural cycles at Ovo (no transfers) and it was a horrific experience. I switched clinics and went to Dr Mahutte at MFC. I've done 3 cycles there (only two transfers). Dr Mahutte IS a good doctor and a great man, but MFC has changed A LOT since I started going there and I'm actually in the process of leaving. I have some consultations booked in Ontario. I honestly believe that Dr Mahutte is the best doctor in MTL but I feel like the QC system is providing fertility patients with subpar care. I'll be 33 in a couple months and my husband is 37 and we are dealing with male factor. We've been TTC for 4 years so we're getting a little impatient and willing to do what it takes to make this happen quickly. I think that's the number one reason why we're looking into clinics in Ontario. If you have any questions about MFC please feel free to PM me. I have positives and negatives, but in general Dr Mahutte is very caring and patient oriented. 

Take care! 

• Lisa1981 and popcorn like this

Me: 32 DH: 37
TTC: 4 years

Male factor only

2011 = Natural IVF cycles #1 and #2 at OVO. Thankfully we escaped. Friends don't let friends go to OVO. 

New Clinic: MFC

IVF #1: August 2012
ER: 11 eggs, 8 mature, 8 fertilized 
ET: 1 early blast
BFN

IVF #2: November 2012
ER: 17 eggs, 13 eggs mature, 9 fertilized
ET: 1 day 3 transfer (8 cell, grade 1)
HPT 10dp3dt BFP+
Beta #1: 42 Beta #2: 38 Beta #3: 12
Chemical pregnancy

IVF #3: March 2013

ER: 15 eggs, 12 mature, 5 fertilized 

We opted to cancel cycle

IVF #4: July... ?

#7 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Global Moderators
  • 7,813 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

Hello Waiting,

Based on my experience when that question arises in you it is time to seek another opinion (or two).

We often intuitively know when a relationship is not a good fit, or will not serve our specific needs. That is a part of life, but it is important to set yourself free and find someone who can help you in the way that is best suited to your circumstances.

Learn from my mistake. By the time I found the right fit I had "aged out of the system."
  • Lisa1981 and nettibug like this

#8 WaitingTooPatiently

WaitingTooPatiently
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

Thank you all so much for your responses.

ladylazarus, gandere1, Graceland-
Your quick responses meant a lot to me, to feel as though someone was listening at this time when I am most frightened that I am not being heard.

gibasgirl-

In my lurking I have seen your posts and have already decided you are one whose advice should be seriously considered.

Sandibeach and waity Katie -

MFC is a clinic I had superficially looked into before we were funneled into Ovo, whenever I searched keywords male fertility Montreal, there seemed to be the first, practically only, that would appear. Today I left a message and looked at their web site.

waity Katie -

I really appreciate someone having first hand knowledge of my situation. I couldn't help but laugh when I saw your signature, I wish I had seen it years sooner. In retrospect I realize we never actually chose Ovo. When My husband had his vasectomy his family doctor referred him to a urologist with St Mary's. When we went back to him for a reversal, he shared office space with a male fertility specialist who worked at Ovo, and that's how we got there. It was easy to open a file for me there because my husband was already "in" there. It seems silly but on the first visit even the name gave me misgivings Ovo=egg and all that artsy egg photography. I couldn't help thinking, I don't need eggs I need sperm, I'm in the wrong place.

Right or wrong, tomorrow is my hysteroscopy. Even though I can give justifications (what I believe to be unnecessary costs, risks, delays waiting for results) for not doing it, It is a procedure that could reasonably be required after another failed cycle so I am just going forward with it. I can bring the results to another clinic should we switch.

One thing no one suggested, possibly because it may not apply so much in other clinics, I was concerned about waiting to get into another clinic and already having a file at Ovo (which I see now may not be such a great thing), had anyone switched doctors while remaining at the same clinic with positive results. Ovo's staff is very large, that's why their wait times are so small.

• gibasgirl likes this

#9 popcorn

popcorn
  • Global 100+
  • 214 posts
  • My Clinic:McGill/MFC

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

Hi Waiting Too Patiently,

As if everything else wasn't bad enough,  this:

Doctor says it isn't necessary to know everything that's going on,

is enough to look for a new doctor, in my opinion.  I don't think you'll have to wait very long to see someone at another clinic. I've changed clinics in Montreal twice; I've done treatments at McGill, MFC, and now MRC. As far as I know, there is no wait list for IVF at any of those clinics. I'd be happy to share my experience and/or opinions...feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

• Lisa1981 and My_time like this

Me: 38 Him: 34

IUI #1 BFN

IUI #2 cancelled

Polypectomy.

IVF #1 BFN

IVF #2 BFN

"Spontaneous" BFP.  Miscarriage. 

IUI #3 BFN

IUI #4 BFN

Nov '13: Osteopath treatment to 'correct' retroverted uterus

Jan 10: 'Spontaneous' BFP

Viability u/s: Feb 4: Not good. HB but embryo measuring 1.5 weeks behind.

March 13 u/s diagnosed with missed miscarriage. Had to take misoprostol.

#10 ebonyglare

ebonyglare
  • Global 100+
  • 450 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:MRC/McGill

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

I really have to second what everybody else has said: trust your gut and run for your life. I understand that REs are busy, but after two failed cycles, you are entitled to ask questions and get answers that will leave you comfortable that you are in the right hands. You've been through the ringer and above all you need a little bit of compassion. Have you considered DHEA and CoQ10 if you're concerned with egg quality?

I've been to McGill and MRC. I've been lucky so far that I've only had good experiences with MRC (I LOVE Dr. Dahan). McGill has great doctors, but I always seem to get lost in the shuffle there. There is no harm in "interviewing clinics". Bring your test results and consult a few doctors to get some second opinions. If you don't have RAMQ coverage, this could be a costly step, but at least you would end up with a doctor you trust and have confidence in.

Hang in there. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that #3 is the one for you.

• gibasgirl, Red Wine, Lisa1981 and 1 other like this

February 2014 - A pleasant surprise!

See About Me page for the details :)

#11 waity katie

waity katie
  • Global 100+
  • 198 posts
  • My Clinic:MFC

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

Hi Waiting Too Patiently,

I get it. We didn't "choose" Ovo either. My husband had his SA done at Ovo because they offered him an appt that was at least a month sooner than other clinics. At that point I hadn't even heard of MFC. We stayed at Ovo because after the SA we had a file there and there was virtually no wait times... I couldn't stand the egg photography either ;) Yuck. In general I have no idea why fertility clinics have those weird pics of babies and eggs. We don't need to see that stuff! We need to see a tranquil beach setting, haha! 

Regarding wait times at MFC, there aren't any. You call and leave a message (their new policy seems to be, "we don't answer the phone, but we'll call you back in 24-48 hours" since I can never speak with anyone when I call anymore...) Dr Mahutte will want your file from Ovo and he might have additional tests done. I would start working on getting your file from Ovo now, even if you're only thinking about leaving. It took us a few weeks and I was sure they were going to charge my husband with harassment LOL 

But in all seriousness, switching clinics isn't as daunting as you might think. If you have any specific questions about MFC don't hesitate to ask! I'm here. 

Sending support and hugs!

• Lisa1981 likes this

Me: 32 DH: 37
TTC: 4 years

Male factor only

2011 = Natural IVF cycles #1 and #2 at OVO. Thankfully we escaped. Friends don't let friends go to OVO. 

New Clinic: MFC

IVF #1: August 2012
ER: 11 eggs, 8 mature, 8 fertilized 
ET: 1 early blast
BFN

IVF #2: November 2012
ER: 17 eggs, 13 eggs mature, 9 fertilized
ET: 1 day 3 transfer (8 cell, grade 1)
HPT 10dp3dt BFP+
Beta #1: 42 Beta #2: 38 Beta #3: 12
Chemical pregnancy

IVF #3: March 2013

ER: 15 eggs, 12 mature, 5 fertilized 

We opted to cancel cycle

IVF #4: July... ?

#12 Becca0075

Becca0075
  • 44 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Edmonton

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

Oh my goodness Waiting - I had to double check which clinic you were at because your story has similar threads with mine.  I will also agree with what everyone said here - if you are not finding that your RE is a good fit, then you should look into switching clinics.  I'm finding it to be a bit of an overwhelming task, i.e. where to go?  who to see?  But I feel that my RE never tells me anything and gets kinda pissy when I ask questions.  It's super frustrating, some REs act like we have no right to know what they are doing to us.  They just expect us to continue paying money, injecting meds and keep our mouths shut... SIGH  th_agrr.gif

All the best in whatever decision you make! 

• gibasgirl likes this

BECCA
Me = 37 years; attempting to have a child on my own - single mom by choice
TTC since September 2008
6 unsuccessful IUIs
October 2009 - Stage 4 Endometriosis discovered; surgery done to remove that & 2 cysts
November & December 2009 - 3 rounds of Lupron injections
April - June 2010 - 2 more cysts discovered
July & August 2010 - 3 more rounds of Lupron injections
September 10, 2010 - baseline ultrasound
September 11 - 20, 2010 - 450 mL Menopur
September 16, 2010 - ultrasound - ovaries "quiet" 2 very small follicles in left ovary, 0 in right
September 21, 2010 - ultrasound, all quiet, cycle cancelled
September 2011 - IVF cycle - 2 embryos transferred, 1 good, 1 fair - BFN
September 2012 - IVF in Seattle with donor eggs. 3 out of 10 fertilized, 1 transferred on day 3. Was told it was "beautiful", other two didn't make it to freezing. Agonizing 2ww...BFN... Devastated.

#13 StrawberryJam

StrawberryJam
  • Global 100+
  • 234 posts
  • My Clinic:Markham

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

Hello, 

First, sounds like your journey has been a long and frustrating one. I'm sorry to hear that. You've come to a great place for support and it sounds like you've already found it here. 

I am just going to reiterate what everyone else has already said. Trust your gut! If something doesn't feel right, look for a second or third opinion and an RE that suits you, and your needs. It really does make all the difference. Best of luck and keep us updated as to how things are going. 

• gibasgirl likes this

Me: 28, PCO 
DH: 28, Male Factor

2 years into our journey!
November 2012 - Natural Cycle cancelled - no mature follicles
IUI #1 - Jan-Feb 2013 - GonalF 75Iu days 2 - 13; natural LH surge; IUI w/ 3 follies day 15. BFN 
IUI #2 - Feb-Mar 2013 - GonalF 100iu days 2 - 11; Ovidrel day 12; IUI w/ 2 big follies day 14. BFP!! 
Beta #1 (12dpiui): 62
Beta #2 (14dpiui): 126
April 4 Viability Ultrasound - measuring right on track at 6 weeks 6 days; HEARTBEAT!!! 124 bpm
April 18 - 8 weeks 5 days ultrasound - measuring right on track; Heartbeat 170 bpm
May 14 - 12 weeks 4 days ultrasound - healthy and active little bean!

June 5 - Final RE appointment, moving on to OB closer to home. 

July 2 - 19 weeks, 5 days (20 week ultrasound) we are having a BOY! 

Due Date: November 22, 2013

#14 WaitingTooPatiently

WaitingTooPatiently
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

I am not certain why, but I went along with the hysteroscopy and biopsy Tuesday last week. Maybe I thought I had to prove something. When the nurse went over the procedures and forms, one of her questions was “And why did your doctor request this procedure?” I got upset and told her that I really didn’t know, for failure of implantation but I didn’t think it was necessary, or maybe because the tech said there might have seen a fibroid during my reserve ultrasound. She seemed sympathetic and placed question marks on the form for the doctor. The hysteroscopy went as I suspected, nothing, not even the possible fibroid. After the biopsy, I told the doctor that I know the sample had to be processed and you can’t tell just by looking, but had he seen anything that would be any cause for concern. He said no.

I asked the nurse who I should see if I had concerns about my protocol. She responded, your doctor. I said, I have but she told me I didn’t need to everything that was going on. Her eyes grew as wide as saucers. I pretty much told her everything that I said in my original post. She said she was going to speak to her supervisor and could we wait, my husband drove and would have to return to work immediately after bringing me home. After fifteen minutes she said it would be a bit longer, she gave me a telephone number, if we had to go to call and make a complaint. She stressed that it was important, and “you may not be the only one with this problem”. I called and left a message, the call was returned by someone by someone else, when I told him my problems, he asked whether I was looking to get the cost of the hysteroscopy refunded (I wasn’t before, but now that he mentioned it..), I said my issue was I had no confidence in my doctor and believed she was mishandling my case. He told me to call for an appointment with any doctor at the clinic, and make sure I told the appointment setter what was going, that they could find a doctor who would better suited to my case. I did just that and was given an appointment within the week.

When I explained everything he understood completely all of my concerns, he disagreed with her initial protocol stating it was too high. He was able to see the revised protocol she intended for my 2nd IVF and he thought was still too high . In all my researching following my IVF failure, I had in my head the amount of stimulation I should have had the first time. He said that number exactly without me suggesting it. He said my case had been reviewed among the other REs but she stated I had a total of 6 embryos implantation failure, with a fresh transfer. He saw in my file that I never had a fresh transfer or 6 embryos. He agreed that failure was most likely due to embryo quality (this was the first time I had not been told my embryos were “good”, which I had suspected all along.) In his opinion TESA should have been done straight off.  He said my husband needed to see his Urologist (the first time he had been told to do so in 18 months), following that consult (next week) we will be can be put back on the list, which has no wait, and we should be able to start before or pre-conception tests expire in October. I can’t even express the sense of relief and optimism that I have right now. In my experiences with my clinic I had not had any problem with any member of the staff, nurses, techs or reception, wait times or fees (super expensive blood work was always done at nearby hospital covered completely by the province and sent to the clinic). My only my issue was my doctor, her assigned protocol, assessment of the cause of failure, and reluctance to discuss the details of my case with me.

This leaves me wondering now what, my top priority has been to get pregnant and I now think this is a derailed train that’s back on track. But what about my old doctor, I haven’t lodged a formal complaint. I only now have a clearer picture of how many mistakes she’s made. There’s also the hysteroscopy and biopsy should I try to get reimbursed for that if it was truly an unnecessary procedure, prescribed because of errors in my file.

#15 MB.

MB.
  • Global 100+
  • 693 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

I'm glad to hear you finally got some answers. Now that you have their attention and they have recognised that your previous RE made errors, ask for a discount on your next IVF cycle. Clinics will give discounts when cycles don't work out the first time especially when they know errors have been made.
  • gibasgirl and Lisa1981 like this

#16 WaitingTooPatiently

WaitingTooPatiently
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

I'm glad to hear you finally got some answers. Now that you have their attention and they have recognised that your previous RE made errors, ask for a discount on your next IVF cycle. Clinics will give discounts when cycles don't work out the first time especially when they know errors have been made.

There is no discount to be had on the IVF, I am very fortunate to be in Quebec where the IVF is covered. The hysteroscopy and biopsy were out of pocket, they aren't considered part of the IVF process. I would have to try to get a refund for them, if I could prove they were unnecessary.

#17 WaitingTooPatiently

WaitingTooPatiently
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

Not seeking advice just want to vent. Last week I did my preconception STD tests because last year's were expiring. This morning I get a call from the clinic. I need to retake a blood test, one test level was just a little bit high. I was confused because I thought STD tests were pretty much pass or fail. She said not to worry it was not out of the range of normal, but (Old Doctor) wanted me to retake the test. It turns out it was one of several anti-body tests I took over a month ago while under my old doctor.

ARRGGG! I thought I was done with her. I am already scheduled to begin Estrace next week to begin IVF #2 with my new doctor. She seems bound and determined to chase after some problem within me for the failure of IVF#1. I told the nurse I was no longer under old doctor's care, I am now with new doctor. The nurse said he would have access to the results as well and a requisition has been placed in my file. At least these tests are on the province's dime, so I will go ahead and take it. I don't think this will interfere with my scheduled IVF as my new doctor understands my file under her was inaccurate. It does let me know for certain, if I had stayed with old doctor I would have still been running around looking for why 6 good quality embryos that never existed didn't implant, instead of beginning what I feel is the protocol I should have been given straight off for IVF#1.