Photo
- - - - -

IVF with own eggs @ 43: possible? where??

43 with own eggs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 7767

• Just Hatched
  • 4 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:McGill Reproductive Centre

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

I am quite new to the world of IVF just started a few months ago, yet, I am running out of time.

I visited my doctor last fall and agreed to move towards ferility treatments. Despite having discussed pregnancy desires in the past 2 years - my MD did not inform me of the laws and requirements in regards to IVF treatments here in Quebec. (was then and still am 42 with good ovarian reserve).

Our province's elligibility for IVF with own eggs ends the day I turn 43. > In roughly 45 days. !!!

I did ask if I could persue treatment covering all costs and unfortunately the answer was no. ! sad.png

They have explained that no mattter what, when you turn 43 in Quebec : IVF has to be performed with donor eggs. I found out at my last calander appointment and it was a shock. very disturbing news.

I had my first treatment february : negative response ; no embryos fertilised.

Now on second treatment ( had 8 weeks of Q10 and DHEA plus injections) : result: 1 fertilised (ICSI) embryo / day 2 transfer - preg. test this tomorrow.

My feeling has been not so positive as I beleive I was too active post transfer and following days, also, no symptoms at all. - only pms type of symptoms.

And ...well I just did a home test and it was a clear negative.

I think i'm too stressed and feel presure to "perform" before I run out of time in early august.

Geeeesz. I've got to relax my mind.... and body ..... and pray that my next treatment will be THE one.

I have become pregnant in the past (thus know what preg. symptoms feel like - with same parter although I did not carry out a full term.

In the event the blood test is truly negative : I am sure my doctor will "squeeze in" one last treatment...

Questions :

_What is the age limit for IVF with my own eggs in Ontario - and other provinces-

and can I seek treatment in a province other than the one I reside in?

_Should I be worried by the fact that I will most likely be doing "back to back " treatments...?

_ Acuponcture : real benefits ?

Thank you for responding and sending positive vibes and ...

any suggestions for my next treatment are most welcome. wink.png

Nadine

#2 My_time

My_time

The world says give up! Hope whispers one more time

• Cyclebase
  • 1,816 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:34 PM

Sorry to hear anout your struggles. I hope that things work out for you soon.
As for your question, In Ontario, I dont think there is a universal rule and it depends on the clinic. In my current clinic, I don't think they turn away anyone just because of being 43. However, I might be wrong. I hope that the knowledgable ladies here can respond to your question. In the meantime, I wish you best of luck for your beta tomorrow. Fx.

Diagnosis: Repeated Pregnancy Loss + DOR + Advance maternal Age.

So far no luck with IVF attempts. Hope things take a turn soon.

#3 doodle bug

doodle bug
  • 1000+
  • 2,605 posts
  • Interests:I'd be interested in getting some sleep...

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:16 PM

Wow. I'm a little disgusted that there is a rule about age..(I'm 42 also) ....although there is no coverage at all here in BC, there is no LAW about having to use donor eggs after a certain age. I am sure each clinic will have to say "yay or nay" to you at 43, but my feeling is if a DR and a clinic is in it to HELP you and not just to take your $$$ or keep their number up,  then they will say yes.  I think Dr. Hudson (VFC) would take you...certainly worth a call. He loves a challenge!

I suggest you start taking 800 CoQ10 per day asap. And get a script for DHEA too! Best of luck to you !!!!

• gibasgirl likes this

TTC since July 2008
July 2008 ectopic/surgery
Dec 2008 miscarriage
then BFN for 9 months....

2 medicated IUI -both BFN
IVF # 1 (flare protocol)
Cancelled (poor response)

IVF # 1 (2nd attempt)-microdose flare/estrogen priming
BFP!
Fraternal girls born Dec 2010

Dec-Natural BFP 
M/C at 8.5 wks

Dec-Natural BFP 

NT- all looks good

Baby girl born Aug 2013

#4 nervous-wreck

nervous-wreck
  • Global 100+
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Ballroom Dancing & Travelling
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:48 AM

I am quite new to the world of IVF just started a few months ago, yet, I am running out of time.

I visited my doctor last fall and agreed to move towards ferility treatments. Despite having discussed pregnancy desires in the past 2 years - my MD did not inform me of the laws and requirements in regards to IVF treatments here in Quebec. (was then and still am 42 with good ovarian reserve).

Our province's elligibility for IVF with own eggs ends the day I turn 43. > In roughly 45 days. !!!

I did ask if I could persue treatment covering all costs and unfortunately the answer was no. ! sad.png

They have explained that no mattter what, when you turn 43 in Quebec : IVF has to be performed with donor eggs. I found out at my last calander appointment and it was a shock. very disturbing news.

Now on second treatment ( had 8 weeks of Q10 and DHEA plus injections) : result: 1 fertilised (ICSI) embryo / day 2 transfer - preg. test this tomorrow.

My feeling has been not so positive as I beleive I was too active post transfer and following days, also, no symptoms at all. - only pms type of symptoms.

I think i'm too stressed and feel presure to "perform" before I run out of time in early august.

Geeeesz. I've got to relax my mind.... and body ..... and pray that my next treatment will be THE one.

I have become pregnant in the past (thus know what preg. symptoms feel like - with same parter although I did not carry out a full term.

In the event the blood test is truly negative : I am sure my doctor will "squeeze in" one last treatment...

Questions :

_What is the age limit for IVF with my own eggs in Ontario - and other provinces-

_Should I be worried by the fact that I will most likely be doing "back to back " treatments...?

any suggestions for my next treatment are most welcome. wink.png

Nadine

Hi Nadine,

The age limit in Ontario for a government funded IVF is 40 and you also have to have bilaterally blocked tubes.

Are you saying that in Quebec you are not allowed to continue fertility treatments at 43+ with your own eggs even if you are paying for the IVF yourself!? Please tell me that is not the case because that is very very big brother. (just saw from your other post that that is the case let me reserve my comments). I'd suggest starting the consultation process  for ART in Toronto (Create, Markham, LifeQuest, Hannam (stay away from the hospitals)).

I'm sorry to hear about your prior miscarriages. Have they done any testing to determine the cause? And please tell me that they checked your thyroid levels.

Hopefully, this is a completely futile discussion and you'll be reporting a BFP shortly. In the event that is not the case I'd suggest a GOOD fertility naturopath. Ask your RE whose good I find that the professionals in the ART world tend to know each other.  If your interested in the suggestion but having difficulty PM me and I will ask around for you.  Best NW

Single

FSH: 8

AMH: 8

Acupuncture: weekly

Chiropractor: 3x per week. Dr. Sly Etobicoke http://americanpregn...iropractic.html

3 Fibroids (10 cm, 3cm, 2cm)

SUPPLEMENTS

Prenatal, NAC, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Cenitol, Folapro, Rhodiola & Ginseng (by Medi Herb for cortisol support), Serracel, Omega 3-6-9, King of Codyceps, Chaga (oriveda),  Thyro-Gold, Cerebrovital PQQ-10

Consult @ Mt. Sinai 1/31/2013

polyp removed 4/24/2013

HSG 5/2013 tubes open, but same 2cm fibroid and possibly scar tissue (endo?)

5/2013 consult with Create another hysteroscopy scheduled to see if fibroid removal is necessary/possible

5/2013 consult with Dr. Fiona (fertility naturopath)

5/29/2013 2nd hysteroscopy @ Create polyp found and removed. 2cm fibroid not seen (huh? how did that happen)

IUI#1: was hoping for May 2013 now going straight to IVF

6/12/2013 started Lupron injections

6/21/2013 (AF arrives on time for the 2nd time in 28 years)

6/22/2013 go in for cycle monitoring WTF

6/23/2013 stop Lupron and convert to IUI with Gonal F

7/3/2013 6 follicles (yawn I'm still skeptical)

7/5/2013 IUI#1

7/6/2013 IUI# 2 (double yawn)

#5 #3@44

#3@44
  • Cyclebase
  • 475 posts
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

Hi,  As someone mentioned above, in BC it is mostly a judgement call.  I went to PCRM at 43 and they let me me use my own eggs.  Apparently, they will do own eggs up to and including 44 (as long as everything looks OK) and will do donor eggs until age 50.  Good luck to you.  See my signature.

K.

Me - 44, DH - 45
3 CONSECUTIVE IVF CYCLES AT 43 YEARS OLD = 16 eggs > 13 embryos > 10 transferred > 1 BABY!!!!

Years of anovulation (but this has saved me some eggs for my 40's!) and decreased count/motility.
4 years of trying naturally and tests - then surprise pregnancy in 2003, DD born 11/2003
6 cycles of clomid/iui - BFN, 2 cycles of FSH/IUI - x2 chemical pregnancy, 1 cycle of FSH/IUI - bfp! DS born 08/2006

2009 I decide I want another. Crazy I know - DH has had Vx.
2012 DH finally on board. Has TESE (super ouch).
03/12 and 04/12: FSH = 5, AFC = 4
IVF#1 - June 2012 - long lupron, 300 Bravelle, 150 Menopur, ICSI - 10 follicles, 3 eggs (WTF??), 2 fertilized, transferred 2 Day 3 4-cells - bfn.
IVF#2 - Aug/Sept 2012 - flare, 450 Bravelle, ICSI, 5 eggs, 4 fertilized, transferred 4 (2 8-cell, 2 10-cell) - chemical

IVF#3 - LAST CHANCE FOR ROMANCE![/b]
Oct/Nov 2012 - flare, lupron BID, 450 Bravelle, ICSI
Sept 15 - start BCP
Oct 11 - endo biopsy
Oct 14 - last BCP
Oct 17 - baseline: E2=286, start lupron microdose twice daily
Oct 19 - start 450 Bravelle
Oct 24 - U/S: 7 10mm follicles, bw: E2=964
Oct 26 - U/S, bw 9 follicles (all 10 -16mm), bw: E2=1867, lining: 9mm
Oct 28, u/s, bw 9 follicles (1 @10mm, 7 @16-17mm, 1 @23.5mm), bw: 3600+, lining: 10mm

Oct 29, u/s, bw 9 follicles (1 @12mm, 8 @18-21mm), bw: 5500+, lining: 10mm - trigger AND 450 Bravelle!
Oct 31 - ER 8 eggs!
Nov 1 - 7 fertilised!
Nov 2 - three grade 2 (all 4-cell), two grade 3 (2-cell and 5-cell) and two grade 4 (all 5-cell)
Nov 3 -two grade 2 (all 8-cell), four grade 3 (8-cell and 10-cell) and one grade 4 (6-cell)

Nov 4 - four good morulas, one border-line quality morula, two 10-cell embies
Nov 5 - ET of 2 blasts (2BB, 3BA), one cavitating morula and one other crap morula - NO FROSTIES!

Nov 10 - Day 10 - HPT ---- BFP!
Nov 14 - beta = 78

Nov 16 - beta = 179
Dec 7 - first u/s! 7w2d: CRL=10mm, HR=139
Dec 11 - first appt w/ high risk OB & another in office u/s (all good)
Dec 18 - u/s 8w6d: CRL=21mm, HR=172
Dec 27 - genetic testing and consult
Jan 11 - nuchal testing and IPS with soft markers (FTS) (for fun as will have already done NIPS) - NT=1.19mm = PERFECT
Jan 21 - 13w5d on u/s - we are having a boy!!!!!
July 24 - due! induced on July 6th - healthy, 7 lbs 2 oz at 37w3d - can't believe this happened!!

#6 MeAgain

MeAgain
  • 1000+
  • 1,351 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:#1Heartland...#2 OFC

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

I did ask if I could persue treatment covering all costs and unfortunately the answer was no. ! :(

Questions :

any suggestions for my next treatment are most welcome. ;)

Nadine

Hi Nadine,

The age limit in Ontario for a government funded IVF is 40 and you also have to have bilaterally blocked tubes.

Are you saying that in Quebec you are not allowed to continue fertility treatments at 43+ with your own eggs even if you are paying for the IVF yourself!? Please tell me that is not the case because that is very very big brother. (just saw from your other post that that is the case let me reserve my comments). I'd suggest starting the consultation process  for ART in Toronto (Create, Markham, LifeQuest, Hannam (stay away from the hospitals)).

I'm sorry to hear about your prior miscarriages. Have they done any testing to determine the cause? And please tell me that they checked your thyroid levels.

Hopefully, this is a completely futile discussion and you'll be reporting a BFP shortly. In the event that is not the case I'd suggest a GOOD fertility naturopath. Ask your RE whose good I find that the professionals in the ART world tend to know each other.  If your interested in the suggestion but having difficulty PM me and I will ask around for you.  Best NW

The rule for OHIP is that the teatment has to stsrt prior to your 40th b-day. I asked my doc abt that as I only have time to squeeze one cycle prior to 40th b-day... He said that is fine, I can still do the other two if I wish because I am considered getting treatment...
Me: 39. DH 43 TTC:18 yrs DX: stage 4 endo @ 20 yrs old.FSH- 10-12DH - fine 7 corrective surgeries for endo & blocked tubes open 5 ectopics (natural) (cilia in tubes do not work) IVF #1 ... 2 Grade C 8cell - one healthy baby boy!! 2 frozen 4cell and 6cell- Grade BEctopic (natural)2004 - 8 weeks pg - tube exploded - internal bleeding - surgery - other tube closed Feb 2012 - FET - no transfer IVF# 2 (OFC) March 15 2013- 300iu, cetrotide, hcgONE mature follicle - no fertilization.

July 2013 - EPP - BFN
November - 2013 - EPP - One follicle, one egg, natural fertilization = BFP!!

#7 Lisa1981

Lisa1981
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,698 posts
  • Interests:Getting my sanity back
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:N/A at the moment

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

Nadine

Hi Nadine,

I'm not sure about every clinic in QC since we have quite a few and with all the government laws surrounding IVF (since they pay for it) it wouldn't surprise me (a limit has to be set somewhere and unfortunately, it's set in the early 40s sad.png ). HOWEVER; the Montreal Reproductive Center, advertise on their own web site, that they do IVF on woman over the age of 42 or 43 using their own eggs.

I'm sending lots and lots of positive and sticky vibes

Me: 33 - DH: 36

July 2012: referred to Ottawa fertility center
August 2012: Test results are back
High FSH, Low AFC (only 6)
Endo (duuuh) & DOR  (great....)

And may has well make it a trio...male factor (motility)

After 2 failed IUIs, 5 Failed IVF:

Trying on our own until spring come's along... 

Feb 09: A little Miracle, a natural BFP. Praying it sticks around for 9 months.

Feb 11: Beta 25 (yikes)- P4: 47 oh boy, put on progesterone

Feb 13: Beta 86 - P4: 144

Feb 18: Beta 544 - P4: 96

Feb 20: Beta 1128 - P4: 81... increased progesterone to 600mg

Feb 24: Beta 1608 - P4: 100... oh boy, not looking promissing

Feb 25: Beta: 1942 (no P4) at another hospital.. ok, looking better... U/S: sac and yolk. Nothing else.

March 04: HB 115. Problem: Sac is small... repeat u/s next week

March 14: U/S , HB (abdominal) 167bpm (internal) 158bpm. Problem: Sac still small, reapeat u/s in 10 days..

March 24: U/S confirmed no HB.. stop progesterone. M/C that same evening

#8 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Global Moderators
  • 7,396 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

I cycled at the Markham Fertility Centre last year. I was chatting with one of Dr. Garcia's patients who did a cycle with her own eggs at 45. She was about 18-20 weeks along as I recall.

Dr. Virro also had patients who cycled at 43 with their own eggs. It really is case-by-case at Markham. They will not turn you away purely based on age. It is one factor along with others but they will give you an honest opinion Feel free to ask on the Markham Girls thread.

There is a 9 month wait to see Dr. Virro and a shorter wait to see Dr. Garcia.

Wishing you the best.
  • Lisa1981 and My_time like this

#9 EmPTYwomb

EmPTYwomb
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

Hi, from what I can gather from each Montreal fertility clinic, they each have their own policy about treating women 43+ with their own eggs (most prefer 43+ with donor eggs - perhaps this is to protect their own clinic success stats). However, from what I can see from the QC government sites, they say as long as the woman is of childbearing age.

You can see this on the QC Portail santé mieux-être website (updated as of March 2013):

http://www.sante.gou.../admissibilite/

It states (loosely translated to English using Google Translate):

All Quebec women who are of childbearing age and have a valid health insurance card can access assisted reproduction treatments.
Although the law does not provide for predetermined age limit access to the program, the decision rests with the clinical judgment of the treating physician. It is also the doctor that may decide whether or not to proceed to treatment according to the physical and psychosocial condition of the person, in addition to considering the welfare of the unborn baby. To this end, it may request a consultation with a multidisciplinary team that will help him in his reflection.

• gibasgirl and Lisa1981 like this

#10 nervous-wreck

nervous-wreck
  • Global 100+
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Ballroom Dancing & Travelling
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

One of the ladies on the SMC Toronto site was pregnant at 45 with her own eggs. She went to Create. Took a year of treatments

Single

FSH: 8

AMH: 8

Acupuncture: weekly

Chiropractor: 3x per week. Dr. Sly Etobicoke http://americanpregn...iropractic.html

3 Fibroids (10 cm, 3cm, 2cm)

SUPPLEMENTS

Prenatal, NAC, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Cenitol, Folapro, Rhodiola & Ginseng (by Medi Herb for cortisol support), Serracel, Omega 3-6-9, King of Codyceps, Chaga (oriveda),  Thyro-Gold, Cerebrovital PQQ-10

Consult @ Mt. Sinai 1/31/2013

polyp removed 4/24/2013

HSG 5/2013 tubes open, but same 2cm fibroid and possibly scar tissue (endo?)

5/2013 consult with Create another hysteroscopy scheduled to see if fibroid removal is necessary/possible

5/2013 consult with Dr. Fiona (fertility naturopath)

5/29/2013 2nd hysteroscopy @ Create polyp found and removed. 2cm fibroid not seen (huh? how did that happen)

IUI#1: was hoping for May 2013 now going straight to IVF

6/12/2013 started Lupron injections

6/21/2013 (AF arrives on time for the 2nd time in 28 years)

6/22/2013 go in for cycle monitoring WTF

6/23/2013 stop Lupron and convert to IUI with Gonal F

7/3/2013 6 follicles (yawn I'm still skeptical)

7/5/2013 IUI#1

7/6/2013 IUI# 2 (double yawn)