• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jspeck1

jspeck1
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

Hello all. My name is Jenni and I am a student at Arizona State University. I am currently writing a paper on Pre-implantation Genetic Diagnosis. If you have undergone PGD and had an interesting/successful/any kind of experience, and you would not mind sharing that experience with me in an interview, please message back. It is much appreciated! 

Thank you!

Jenni 

#2 nervus optmist

nervus optmist
  • Global Moderators
  • 2,055 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

hi Jenni,

In this section of the forums there are a number of threads related to people's experiences regarding PGD.  You'll find that some chose PGD to prevent a single gene disorder, and some to prevent balanced/unbalanced translocations.  Others did PGS to look for chromosomal abnormalities in general.  Many have been successful.  Personally I wasn't, primarily because I do not produce enough eggs when undergoing stimulation and research does show that the number of eggs produced is the single greatest factor in determining success with PGD (greater than age, fertility etc etc).  I'm happy to answer questions.  I do my best to be a strong advocate for awareness of PGD - many couples who are affected by single gene disorders do not know that it is an option, or are informed of it as an option but are discouraged from doing it because of costs.  I think building awareness is key to empower couples to make their own choices.

:flowers:

I am 33, DH - 35
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png

===> Beautiful baby boy born June 2013 babyboy.gif

#3 ivf4pgd

ivf4pgd
  • Global 100+
  • 528 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Clinic, Calgary

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

Hi Jenni,

I also have used PGD in our fertility treatments, in fact it was the reason we underwent ivf, to prevent a genetic condition my husband has, and has a 50/50 chance of passing on to our children. We have one unaffected daughter as a result, we have tried one frozen and 3 fresh cycles trying to have another child, with no success. We are currently "re-grouping" trying to make our next decision. I am interested in helping you but would like some more information on your ideas/direction your paper is going. PM me anytime!
  • nervus optmist likes this
DH genetic diagnosis Nov. 2006Married, July 2008, Pre-Screen Tests Nov. 2008, ALL GOODInfo night, Calgary March, 2009 Probes began at Genesis Genetics Clinic April, 2009May 6, Received okay from Genesis Genetics, Probes complete, ready!?Got the call June1, Start sniffing June 18ER July 19, 10 fertilized and biopsied ET July 24, Transferred 2 blasts, none to freezeBlood work August 5 got Results Aug 7, Not Pregnant!Got the call September 22, 2009Start Sniffing Oct. 4, 2009! ER Nov 1, 2009 14 fertilized ET Nov 5, 2009POAS Nov 19, 2009 BFP!! Beta #1 98 14dptBETA #2 745 18dpt Gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, July, 2010!FET Started sniffing Dec, 2011Estrace, Dec 21, 2011FET Jan 9, 2012Blood work Jan 23! Got results Jan 26, Not Pregnant!Called in AF#1 Feb 26, 2012, prescrens complete, March 8, 2012 AF #2 March 26, Treatment offered (10 days later)Suprefact April 13th A few bumps, but cycle continues, ER May 21, 2012! ET May 26, 2012Urine Test June 13, Not Pregnant!Plan for one more cycle, Flare Protocol, probably fall, 2012 IVF #4! (wow this signature is getting LoNg)July, 2012, offered and accetped treatment cycle!Flare Protocol, BCP July 20thBaseline U/S Aug 7th found a cyst! get my butt to Calgary, for another u/s and b/w for Aug 9th b/w comes back high, can't drain able to drain cyst Aug 13th Start injections Aug 20thPoor response to meds, AGAIN! retrieved 11, 7 mature, all 7 fertilized and biopsied! Sept 4th transferred the only 2 unaffected embryos on ay 5! PAOS Sept 14 BFP!!! Beta 16dpt 626Beta 20dpt 203 dropped! Oct 4, u/s shows no sign of pregnancy, stop meds! then beta went up??? Suspected ectopic! Body took care of itself, not pregnant!ok I've said it before but... One more cycleFlare Protocol, start dhea nov, 2012, and cont CoQ10IVF #5 Winter 2013! Dec 2012 accepted treatment! Af dec 30th, start bcp Jan 3Baseline u/s Jan 18, found a cyst estrogen high can't drain, bcp for another weekU/S jan 30th, estrogen high, continued to monitor, delayed 4 weeks until cyst drained itselfFeb 16 start suprefact injections, Feb 18 start gonal f and menopur (max dose of both) only had 3 to test, by day 5 only had 1 unaffected, and was not a blast, transferred it anyway, march 7. March 18th it's a negative, not sure where we go from here, a break for now!
May 2013 WHAT? BFP? Just when we were ready to be done trying for #2, what a huge surprise!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pgd