Sympathy transfer?? Is there such a thing? - Infertility Vets - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Sympathy transfer?? Is there such a thing?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ivf4pgd

ivf4pgd
  • Global 100+
  • 528 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Clinic, Calgary

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

So I did a 6 day transfer today, of a healthy (genetic testing done) 7 cell embryo! I got the call this morning that only 1 embryo was unaffected after doing PGD. I knew our chances were slim to even get one so I was so nervous and ecstatic, even though this is our 5th fresh cycle, I didn't really ask any questions, just heard him say "obviously not where we would like it to be at, but we will transfer at 1:00". Ok, so got to transfer, told myself that I prayed for one unaffected this is the sign, I was going to put all my doubts aside and wait for test day, or a few days before. Well that didn't last long... When we arrived and waiting to get started dr. Greene said "so we are going to go ahead with this?" I kind of brushed it off, as nothing? Now since I've been home, re-reading all sorts of information on embryo development, I'm wondering if this embryo in fact had arrested? I feel like the clinic knew this was our LAST shot, and gave me a "pity transfer"? Is this possible? Ethical? Am I crazy? Should I just drop this thought and concentrate on sending positive vibes to this embaby? Whatever the answer it is not going to change the outcome right, but come on NO ONe likes the 2ww, but I guess I'll have a 2ww no matter what! Ahhhhhhh I am a strong believer in positive thought, but I'm also a realist!

Vent done, thanks!

#2 soccergirl

soccergirl
  • Global 100+
  • 520 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Foothills

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:15 AM

Hello, that is my clinic too, so hopefully i can help.

honestly the nurses and embryologists are so good, i would call them and leave a message and ask them to call you back.

As specifically your questions on what was transferred if it was still dividing ect... it will put your mind at ease. And no, they can not lie about what was transferred to you and they wouldnt, Dr. G would have charted everything in the computer.

were you able to see the embie on the screen?

good luck to you and hope this is your baby

hugs,

Me and DH 36

Beautiful DD born 2011
March/April IVF/ICSI Flare protocol, 25 eggs but only one divided, d2 tx, BFN
June/July IVF/ICSI Agonist/Antagonist protocol. 1 beautiful 5d Blast tx, sadly BFN :( 4 frosties!
Sept/Oct FET, BFP TWINS!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickerspregnancy due date

#3 nettibug

nettibug
  • Cyclebase
  • 1074 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:N/A

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:03 AM

I cannot believe they would transfer an arrested embie!  Call them for peace of mind...  and think positive - this could be your miracle bean!  icon_stickyvibespink.gif

Single with secondary infertility, AMA, DOR, RPL.  TTC started with four failed IUI's.

IVF #1: converted to another IUI after 2 of 10 follies went rogue during stims --> BFN

IVF #2: 6 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized with ICSI --> 3dt of 4 high grade embryos with AH --> BFN

IVF #3: 6 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized with ICSI --> vitrified at 2PN (had to put TTC on hold)

IVF #4: 11 eggs retrieved, 9 fertilized with ICSI --> 5dt of 3 blasts  --> th_abfp.gif --> lost HB at 8w4d 8388.gif

IVF #5: 7 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized with ICSI --> 5dt of 2 blasts --> th_abfp.gif --> missed m/c at 7w3d 8388.gif 

IVF #6: cancelled due to poor response --> IUI --> totally unexpected th_abfp.gif --> chemical 8388.gif

Getting off the IVF train and happily moving on to international adoption

Dossier approved & registered!  Waiting for a referral...  kaffeetrinker_2.gif

Nine months later, still waiting...

#4 hopeful81

hopeful81
  • Cyclebase
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Running, home renovations with my husband, our dogs...and a little reality t.v. here and there :)
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:One Fertility

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

Agreed - call them and ask them straight out, they certainly can't lie to you. They're so used to us hormonal women calling with questions, rational or not :) I'm sure they would not have transferred an arrested embryo, but I'm like you - I start second guessing and analyzing things later on when I have time to sit and think. Very frustrating! You need some peace of mind so you can focus all the positive thoughts on helping this little embie along. I hope that this is your baby!

• ivf4pgd and gibasgirl like this

#5 codeblue

codeblue
  • Cyclebase
  • 272 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Oakville/One

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:26 AM

It might be due to the fact that on day 6 it was only a 7 cell embryo.  By day 6 you usually would have a hatching blastocyst.  I agree with the previous posters, it would be unethical for them to transfer an arrested embryo without your knowledge back into you.

Me: 33 with PCOS and Endometriosis
DH: 43 with male factor resulting from vasectomy/vasectomy reversal, poor sperm count following reversal
July 2010 - DH's Vasectomy Reversal, whole sperm on one side, heads on the other, hematoma formed on left testicle, took 3 months to completely recover
Sept 2010 - First RE visit
Sept 2010 - HSG, Saline Sono, routine BW all normal
Oct 2010 - First SA total count 8 million, 20% motility
Oct 2010 - Clomid cycle with BD, BFN
Nov 2010 - Clomid cycle with BD, BFN
Dec 2010 - Clinic closed over holidays, no treatment allowed
Jan 2011 - supposed to have first IUI, cyst on right ovary, E2 high, cycle cancelled, on BCP for 6 weeks for proper timing due to vacation
Feb 2011 - AF came early, cycle cancelled, back on BCP
Mar 2011 - IUI with Clomid, twice daily progesterone supposities, started AF 3 days early, sperm count 800,000 40% motility, BFN
Apr/May 2011 - IUI with Gonal F, three times daily progesterone suppositories, started AF 3 days early, 1.5 million 40% motility, 1.6 million, 50% motility, BFN
Jun 2011 - Taking a break, Las Vegas with friends to let off some steam
Jul 2011 - Moving to IVFAug/Sept 2011 - IVF #1 BFN, post ER hemorrhage, AF? 5dp5dt, only 2 left at ET, no frosties
Jan 2012 - Laprocopy stage 1 endometriosis
Aug 2012 - Laproscopy stage 2/3 endometriosis with adhesions, small polyp in uterus, D&C, hystroscopy, HSG

Next cycle:

Sept 29th - AF
Oct 19th - Start Suprafact
Oct 30th - AF, baseline U/S showed AFC 10+ on right and left ovary!
Nov 1st - started Gonal F 250iu and Luveris 75iu
Nov 5th - first monitoring U/S - Right Ovary 8 follicles 10 and 11mm, Left Ovary 7 follicles 10 and 11mm, E2 4000+ Uh oh!!! Gonal F 150iu and Luveris 75iu
Nov 6th - ultrasound - Right Ovary 8 follicles 10-12mm, Left Ovary 14 follicles 10-13mm, E2 6700
Nov 7th - ultrasound - Right Ovary 14 follicles, Left Ovary 26 follicles (42 OMG)! 20 follicles are between 13-16mm, rest are right behind, E2 10,000, Gonal F 75iu and Luveris 75iu tonight
Nov 8th - ultrasound - Right Ovary 18 follicles, Left Ovary 27 follicles, 22 follicles between 13-17mm, E2 15,514
Nov 9th - ultrasound - too many to count, E2 17,773
Nov 10th - Trigger 9pm
Nov 12th - ER - 29 eggs retrieved, 18 mature
Nov 13th - update - 14 ICSI'd, 13 fertilized
Nov 14th - update - 12 embryos still growing
Nov 15th ET - 2 8 cell grade 4 A+ embryos transferred, 6 frozen - 2 8 cell G4a, 2 9 cell G4, 2 6 cell G4
Nov 23rd - HPT with afternoon urine, maybe something there
Nov 24th - HPT with FMU, maybe something there
Nov 25th - HPT with FMU, super faint second pink line, I think we have a BFP!
Nov 27th - HPT digital with FMU, positive saying 1-2 weeks pregnant, beta 99!
Nov 29th - second beta 179! 52 hour doubling rate!
Dec 3rd - third beta 905! 42 hour doubling rate!
Dec 10th - fourth beta 9500! 48 hour doubling rate still!
Dec 13th - first ultrasound @ 6w3d shows twins! Baby A 6w1d HR 111, Baby B 5w6d HR 101
Jan 3rd - second ultrasound @ 9w3d at the hospital, no details
Jan 10th - emergency ultrasound due to spotting and pain, Baby A 10w2d HR 171, Baby B 10w1d HR 170, small SCH
Jan 22nd - third ultrasound @ 12w1d, Baby A 12w1d HR 158, Baby B 12w0d HR 160, Gained 10lbs so far, 2 squirming little babies
Feb 21st - 16 week prenatal appt, Baby A HR 145, Baby B HR 151, Gained 17 lbs so far
Mar 12th - anatomy scan, gender reveal, Baby A Boy, Baby B Girl
Mar 18th - First OB appt with Dr. Andrighetti, everything going well, Gained 19 lbs so far
Apr 15th - 24 week ultrasound, cervix shortened to 2cm with funnelling
Apr 15th - Admitted to Oakville hospital with cramping and spotting
Apr 17th - Possibly passed mucus plug, transferred to Mt Sinai
Apr 19th - U/S cervix 1.9 closed, 1.6 funnelling, Baby boy 1lb 11oz, Baby girl 1lb 10oz
Apr 26th - U/S both babies doing well
May 3rd - U/S Baby Boy 2lbs 5oz, Baby girl 2lbs
May 10th - U/S both babies doing well
May 14th - U/S cervix 0.5 closed, funnelling present
May 14th - Discharged from Mt. Sinai, sent home on bed rest
June 10th - In a car accident which started labour, got to 5cm then stalled, admitted to McMaster
June 24th - Finally released back to my OB, sent back to my hospital in Oakville
July 2nd - released from Oakville Hospital, cervix at 3cm
July 5th - U/S Baby Boy 4lbs 15oz, Baby Girl 6lbs 1oz
July 8th - C section scheduled for July 16th due to weight discordance
July 8th - started having contractions at 11:00 pm
July 9th - went to hospital at 2:30am, dilated to 5cm again, bag bulging
July 9th - 4:20am Carter Terry arrived 5lbs 2oz, 4:21am Hannah Mary arrived 5lbs 8oz

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#6 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2677 posts
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

it sounds like for the most part they informed you where the embryo was at, that it's not ideal, and gave you the choice to transfer or not, but I think the question of whether or not it was clear that the embryo had arrested is legitimate - that being said - they may not be able to say for sure as I think most clinics won't disturb embryos between biopsy and transfer, so if it was 4 cell at biopsy and 7 cell at transfer they can definitely say it's not exactly where they'd like it to be, but may not be able to say for certain if it's arrested.  or maybe they can...

it sounds like your balance of realism and optimism is accurate for the situation you're in.  really really hoping this little embryo beats all the odds, and hoping the 2ww goes as quickly as possible.

:flowers:

• gibasgirl and Sasabee like this

I am 38, DH - 39
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png

===> Beautiful baby boy born 2013 babyboy.gif

Donor FET Oct/16 - chemical

April 2017 - surprise PG

===> Beautiful baby girl born 2017 babygirl.gif

#7 ivf4pgd

ivf4pgd
  • Global 100+
  • 528 posts
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Clinic, Calgary

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Thanks ladies, I'm over my pity party, back to reality! I love my clinic, and I know that they would NEVer lie or deceive me, I didn't mean to accuse them of that, was just so emotional yesterday! I had a 4, 5, and 7 at biopsy, so this could be the 4 cell, just a slow grower! I might call and clarify, but really in the end, it's not an ideal number but you never know... Here's to trying to stay positive / realistic the next 13 days! Hahah Thanks ladies
  • nervus optimist, loo, Sasabee and 1 other like this
DH genetic diagnosis Nov. 2006Married, July 2008, Pre-Screen Tests Nov. 2008, ALL GOODInfo night, Calgary March, 2009 Probes began at Genesis Genetics Clinic April, 2009May 6, Received okay from Genesis Genetics, Probes complete, ready!?Got the call June1, Start sniffing June 18ER July 19, 10 fertilized and biopsied ET July 24, Transferred 2 blasts, none to freezeBlood work August 5 got Results Aug 7, Not Pregnant!Got the call September 22, 2009Start Sniffing Oct. 4, 2009! ER Nov 1, 2009 14 fertilized ET Nov 5, 2009POAS Nov 19, 2009 BFP!! Beta #1 98 14dptBETA #2 745 18dpt Gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, July, 2010!FET Started sniffing Dec, 2011Estrace, Dec 21, 2011FET Jan 9, 2012Blood work Jan 23! Got results Jan 26, Not Pregnant!Called in AF#1 Feb 26, 2012, prescrens complete, March 8, 2012 AF #2 March 26, Treatment offered (10 days later)Suprefact April 13th A few bumps, but cycle continues, ER May 21, 2012! ET May 26, 2012Urine Test June 13, Not Pregnant!Plan for one more cycle, Flare Protocol, probably fall, 2012 IVF #4! (wow this signature is getting LoNg)July, 2012, offered and accetped treatment cycle!Flare Protocol, BCP July 20thBaseline U/S Aug 7th found a cyst! get my butt to Calgary, for another u/s and b/w for Aug 9th b/w comes back high, can't drain able to drain cyst Aug 13th Start injections Aug 20thPoor response to meds, AGAIN! retrieved 11, 7 mature, all 7 fertilized and biopsied! Sept 4th transferred the only 2 unaffected embryos on ay 5! PAOS Sept 14 BFP!!! Beta 16dpt 626Beta 20dpt 203 dropped! Oct 4, u/s shows no sign of pregnancy, stop meds! then beta went up??? Suspected ectopic! Body took care of itself, not pregnant!ok I've said it before but... One more cycleFlare Protocol, start dhea nov, 2012, and cont CoQ10IVF #5 Winter 2013! Dec 2012 accepted treatment! Af dec 30th, start bcp Jan 3Baseline u/s Jan 18, found a cyst estrogen high can't drain, bcp for another weekU/S jan 30th, estrogen high, continued to monitor, delayed 4 weeks until cyst drained itselfFeb 16 start suprefact injections, Feb 18 start gonal f and menopur (max dose of both) only had 3 to test, by day 5 only had 1 unaffected, and was not a blast, transferred it anyway, march 7. March 18th it's a negative, not sure where we go from here, a break for now!
May 2013 WHAT? BFP? Just when we were ready to be done trying for #2, what a huge surprise!

#8 My_time

My_time

The world says give up! Hope whispers one more time

• Cyclebase
  • 1817 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

Thanks ladies, I'm over my pity party, back to reality! I love my clinic, and I know that they would NEVer lie or deceive me, I didn't mean to accuse them of that, was just so emotional yesterday! I had a 4, 5, and 7 at biopsy, so this could be the 4 cell, just a slow grower! I might call and clarify, but really in the end, it's not an ideal number but you never know... Here's to trying to stay positive / realistic the next 13 days! Hahah Thanks ladies

Glad to see you are back on the positive side... I was just thinking that maybe the embie is a bit slow growing as she/he has already lost a cell for PGD and is trying to catch up! it is quiet possible. No? For sure he/she was still alive or they wouldn't put her/him back in. Now hopefully your will give her/him a good environment to grow and implant! Fingers crossed for you!

Diagnosis: Repeated Pregnancy Loss + DOR + Advance maternal Age.

So far no luck with IVF attempts. Hope things take a turn soon.

#9 ---

---
  • 1000+
  • 1668 posts
  • Interests:recovering from pretentious nonsense
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

8 Cell at Day6 is quite slow, normally they are at 7-8 cell by day 3, but this one took that long to get to day 6 ( if it is actually at 7 cells on Day6).  That said, you know it is 'normal', and normal trumps quality, just that quality and a normal embryo combined is the goal, but not all of us can get that. (Including me-gah). Good luck to you and your little embryo. I hope I get to read good news about it soon. You have one little normal on board. 

Stacy

#10 nervus optimist

nervus optimist
  • Super Moderator
  • 2677 posts
  • My Clinic:newlife

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

your strength is amazing.  one of the challenges we all face is that we know too much!  you know what 7 cells on day 6 means - but a transfer is a transfer and everyone will tell you that every embryo is different.  wishing and hoping that against all odds your little bean does exactly what it should at it's own pace!

be kind to yourself and do whatever makes you happy in the next 13 days.

:flowers:

• Sasabee likes this

I am 38, DH - 39
Genetic - IVF&PGD to prevent Genetic Disorder
IVF #1 - Nov/08 - MC @ 6 weeks, no embryos frozen
IVF #2 - Aug/09 - bfn
IUI #1 - Feb/10 - ectopic
PRIDE - Apr/10
Homestudy - July/10
Given the gift of donor embryos - Jan/12
Donor FET Jun/12 - 9 weeks - no heartbeat... MC
Donor FET Oct/12 - we're PG biggrin.png

===> Beautiful baby boy born 2013 babyboy.gif

Donor FET Oct/16 - chemical

April 2017 - surprise PG

===> Beautiful baby girl born 2017 babygirl.gif

#11 soccergirl

soccergirl
  • Global 100+
  • 520 posts
  • My Clinic:Foothills

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

oh hon you didnt sound accusatory at all towards the clinic, just worried and that is so normal.

definitely have a chat with the embryologist, they are so awesome

okay happy thoughts in the 2ww and best of luck!!

hugs,

• nervus optimist likes this

Me and DH 36

Beautiful DD born 2011
March/April IVF/ICSI Flare protocol, 25 eggs but only one divided, d2 tx, BFN
June/July IVF/ICSI Agonist/Antagonist protocol. 1 beautiful 5d Blast tx, sadly BFN :( 4 frosties!
Sept/Oct FET, BFP TWINS!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickerspregnancy due date