• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Diggy

Diggy
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:Cancer

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

I'm sure by now that most people have gotten the news that 4 Doctors are leaving the Genesis Fertility Clinic. This worried me enough to find this forum and sign up to post this note.

I'm concerned at the abruptness of this change. I come from a business background and it's hard to make sense of this move. Of the 4 doctors that are leaving, the two Co-Founders of Genesis are also leaving which has giving me an uneasy feeling.

I've asked the questions directly, but every employee is obviously under a NDA and can't speak to the internal goings on. This is our first child and our first attempts so I'm very cautious, overly so perhaps.

With the news back east it's only futhered my anxiety about this split and so this is why I have ended up here. What do my wife and I do. Do we stay where we are or do we follow our doctor to the new center that is being set up?

I know it really ends up to be a personal choice, but as lives are involved here shouldn't there be some clairty on the decisions made at Genesis? I'd just hate for the 4 doctors that have left doing so because of some ethical question and not just a business decision.

I guess this is more a rambling of what is ultimately up to my wife and I, but I really could use some feedback. Also please be gentle, it's my first time posing here and I'm unsure of all these abbreviations because I don't know what they mean.

Much appreciated,

#2 Sienna

Sienna
  • Cyclebase
  • 409 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Genesis

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

Hi Diggy, We had a big discussion under the genesis gals thread about this that you might find helpful - you'll just have to look back. One of the Drs that has left the clinic has posted a couple things regarding the changes. My DH and I felt exactly the same way as you and your wife: re ethics, wanting to know why and how this would impact quality of care. I found out about the split as we were about to start our first IVF cycle at Genesis. After thinking it through we decided to stay as we didn't want to delay things further. Olive fertility isn't starting IVF until May. I know that the embryologists have stayed the same, at least for now, not sure what that will look like in the next few months. I have heard excellent things about Dr.N and Dr. K in terms of their abilities and want to trust that it is in their best interest to continue to provide ethical and patient centered care. Good luck with your decision.

TTC since July 2011

IVF #1 Jan/13
Jan 08/13 - Started BCP
Jan 28/13 - Last BCP
Jan 31/13 - First day of stims (150 Menopur 150 Bravelle)
Feb 11/13 - HCG trigger
Feb 13/13 - ER
Feb 18/13 - ET - transferred 1 blast, 3 snow babies
Mar 01/13 - BETA #1 - 684 - WOOT WOOT!!!
Mar 08/13 - BETA #2 - 13539 - WOW!!!

#3 lyn_dub

lyn_dub
  • Global 100+
  • 415 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:36 AM

Diggy,

You might want to check with whichever doctor you were dealing with at Genesis and see what they say. I can understand the staff not being able to provide answers but the doctor might be able to (to some point). Hopefully then it will give you clarity and a little comfort as to where to go next in your journey.

Good luck :)

Me: 40 DH: 40
my blog - http://bereavedparen....wordpress.com/
TTC since December 2004
Started going to PCRM in 2006
October 2007: Super ovulation w/IUI
BFP!
our amazing son was born premature he blessed us with 25 days of life and went to Heaven after getting a lung infection (devastated)

Did 6 clomid cycles w/IUI at PCRM from Sept. 2008 - June 2010
Made the switch to Genesis in October of 2010
2 super ovulation w/IUI cycles
both BFN
March 2011
waiting for AF for ultrasound and orientation for IVF!
ultrasound showed lining very thick so have to have a hysteroscopy before starting IVF ...
April 2011
waiting for AF so I can book hysteroscopy. Hysteroscopy done. All looked to be fine.
May 2011
AF arrived. Started nasal spray. Yuck! Waiting again for AF to start injections. Should be the beginning of June!
June 2011
cycle cancelled due to poor response and thick uterine lining. d&c to happen before next cycle can be done.
November 2011
d&c done but lining went back to being thick. Put on Marvelon bcp for 2 months.
January 2012
IVF/ICSI #1
start with 75 Menopur 225 Gonal F, day 6 225 Menopur 225 Gonal F
ER - 11 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized
ET - 3 embryos transferred (other 4 didn't make it to the frozen stage )
BFN

Follow up appt. in March
have to do 3 months of COQ10 and DHEA before proceeding.
Not sure if the CoQ10 worked but am quite sure the DHEA made things worse. Went off both vitamins after cycle was cancelled in May 2012.

May 2012
cycle cancelled due to poor response. advised to use donor eggs we're gutted. follow-up appt in June

June 2012
Dr. Yuzpe said my ovaries are NOT done! No donor eggs necessary! Cautiously optimistic. Have to lose 25 lbs and then can try another cycle.

January 2013

IVF/ICSI #2

Started with 150 Menopur/225 Bravelle. Menopur bumped to 225.

ER - 5 eggs, 4 fertilized

ET - transferred 4 day 2 embryos. Fingers crossed!

BFP! - beta 441 14dpt

Beta #2 - 6752   21dpt

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

#4 smurfette_wong

smurfette_wong
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,027 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:52 AM

Hi diggy,

I've seen almost every single doctor at Genesis for various reasons and I can tell you that I have full confidence in their abilities, even with Dr. K who is less compassionate than the other doctors (she did my retrieval).  I never felt like I needed to question their assessments, whether it was a full consult or egg retrieval or embryo transfer or just an ultrasound.  However, at the end of the day, it's not just the doctors who will have a hand at your success, it's also the embryologists and nurses as well.

I should let you know, if you don't already, that the doctors work on rotation, so while Dr. K and Dr. N at Genesis are great, they may not necessarily be doing all of your wife's procedures as I know there are two or three other doctors starting there soon and I'd assume they'd go into rotation.  If it was me, I would do my research on them before agreeing to start the cycle because it is a lot of money that you are spending and you'd want to make sure you are comfortable with their abilities whether it's ultrasounds or retrievals or transfers as it seems like no one in Vancouver has seen them yet. 

If you don't mind waiting until May, then you can probably try Olive.  However, I don't know who the embryologists and nurses are/will be, though I heard that a number of staff from Genesis is going to Olive.  And I don't know how organized they will be as they will be trying to run things a little differently from Genesis (if you look under the Genesis Gals thread, you can see Dr. Taylor says they want to run the clinic differently in terms of how they assign nurses, etc., doesn't sound like it's an ethics issue.  After meeting almost all the doctors there, I'd find it surprising if it was an ethics issues).

In the end, I think there will be uncertainty in either decision, but there's uncertainty in the whole IVF procedure anyway. 

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Me: genetic issues
DH: genetic issues, MFI

TTC since Summer 2009

ICSI with PGD#1:
Synarel nasal spray starting April 25, 2012

Baby smurfette arrives

ICSI with CCS/PGD:
Start July 2014
4 CCS/PGD normal embryos vitrified
FET August 2014
Beta 17, likely a chemical
FET October/November 2014

#5 Stillness

Stillness
  • Cyclebase
  • 606 posts
  • Interests:Yoga, my goldendoodle, decorating, gardening, international work (www.internationalhealthinitiatives.com)
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

Dr. Taylor also left her email under that thread for people who have questions.

About me:

TTC for 1 year.

1 fur baby named Penelope, the chocolate goldendoode.

Me: 38, DH: 35 with male factor infertility, only 5% motility (lazy beasts).

Hysterosalpingogram, FSH (5.3), AMH (1.86), Estradiol (<100), LH (2.0) all normal.

January 11, 2013: Stims started.  Menopur 75 and Bravelle 225.

Jan. 21 - ER 5 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized.

Jan, 23 - ET of three 2day embryos. Grades 4B, 5B, and 4C.

THEN I get sick sick sick with a horrible kidney infection that gives me 9 days of pain and several trips to emerg, including a diagnostic laparascopic surgery. My hopes are dashed. IV pain meds and antibiotics given. I'm losing hope.

10dp2dt: Surprise! BFP th_abfp.gifon HPT.  7 more +HPTs after while waiting for beta.

1st Beta 254 at 14dp2dt.

2nd Beta at 629 16dp2dt (48 hours later).

3rd Beta: 3731 21dp2dt.

It's a great Valentines' Day!

First ultrasound -- it's TWINS! So happy!

Second ultrasound March 7...Unfortunately we will lose the little twin, but can be seen on ultrasound until 14 weeks.

#6 Dr. Beth Taylor

Dr. Beth Taylor
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility Centre

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

Hello Folks,

I completely understand your worries.  This is a major change at a clinic that has been running for over 17 years.   It was a business and personal decision among the four doctors leaving.  Please know it was not for ethical reasons.  Dr. Kashyap is now the sole owner of Genesis now.  The decision to leave and for Dr. Kashyap to take over happened in November and we were slow in getting out the notice. For that I apologize.   

The four of us (Drs. Hitkari, Fluker, Yuzpe and myself) have created Olive Fertility Centre.  It's under construction at City Square Mall (3rd floor of the East Tower).  We will move there in late May.  Between now and then we are at an interim office space two floors above Genesis.  At the interim space you can do sperm analyses, IUI, consultations, ultrasounds, hysteroscopies, etc.... just about everything except IVF.  At the City Square location we are putting a huge amount of energy into building a leading lab.  We are also going to focus on patient communication and making people's experience as personal and responsive as we can. 

You are right that the staff have been cautious about what they can say, I think now that the four of us have completely left Genesis you will find the staff more open to discussing the "whys" and "whens."  You can also contact Dr. Hitkari at jhitkari@olivefertility.com, me at btaylor@olivefertility.com and the other doctors through info@olivefertility.com.

I am not sure if this clarifies things much but don't hesitate to contact me directly if you have other concerns.

Sincerely,

Beth Taylor, MD, FRCSC

#7 lyn_dub

lyn_dub
  • Global 100+
  • 415 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

Thanks for replying Dr. Taylor :)

IF any of us get pregnant from an IVF cycle that we had in January and our doctor is one of the four of you that left will you have prenatal screening available? Or will we go to Genesis etc.? I know that's a bridge to cross once we (hopefully) confirm we are pregnant this week but my husband and I are wondering what to do if we do indeed get our miracle confirmed pregnancy. We're confused about this and if we are pregnant want to stick with our original doctor until it's time to get an amazing OB/GYN. Do we call Olive and request an appt with our doctor if confirmed? I will email you the same questions if that's ok.

• Sienna likes this

TTC since December 2004
BFP!
our amazing son was born premature he blessed us with 25 days of life and went to Heaven after getting a lung infection (devastated)

both BFN
March 2011
ultrasound showed lining very thick so have to have a hysteroscopy before starting IVF ...
April 2011
waiting for AF so I can book hysteroscopy. Hysteroscopy done. All looked to be fine.
May 2011
AF arrived. Started nasal spray. Yuck! Waiting again for AF to start injections. Should be the beginning of June!
June 2011
cycle cancelled due to poor response and thick uterine lining. d&c to happen before next cycle can be done.
November 2011
January 2012
IVF/ICSI #1
BFN

Follow up appt. in March
Not sure if the CoQ10 worked but am quite sure the DHEA made things worse. Went off both vitamins after cycle was cancelled in May 2012.

May 2012
cycle cancelled due to poor response. advised to use donor eggs we're gutted. follow-up appt in June

June 2012
Dr. Yuzpe said my ovaries are NOT done! No donor eggs necessary! Cautiously optimistic. Have to lose 25 lbs and then can try another cycle.

January 2013

IVF/ICSI #2

BFP! - beta 441 14dpt

Beta #2 - 6752   21dpt

#8 Sienna

Sienna
  • Cyclebase
  • 409 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Good question Lyn! Let us know if  you hear anything directly.

TTC since July 2011

IVF #1 Jan/13
Jan 08/13 - Started BCP
Jan 28/13 - Last BCP
Jan 31/13 - First day of stims (150 Menopur 150 Bravelle)
Feb 11/13 - HCG trigger
Feb 13/13 - ER
Feb 18/13 - ET - transferred 1 blast, 3 snow babies
Mar 01/13 - BETA #1 - 684 - WOOT WOOT!!!
Mar 08/13 - BETA #2 - 13539 - WOW!!!

#9 lyn_dub

lyn_dub
  • Global 100+
  • 415 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

Hi Sienna :)

Dr. Taylor did reply to my email. She said Genesis does not do prenatal screening and Olive won't be ready to do it until June. Olive at the moment will do ultrasounds up until about 9 weeks to monitor the pregnancy. She then went on to say that they can refer us to an OB after that.

Helps to know this stuff!!

TTC since December 2004
BFP!

both BFN
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
November 2011
January 2012
IVF/ICSI #1
BFN

Follow up appt. in March

May 2012

June 2012

January 2013

IVF/ICSI #2

BFP! - beta 441 14dpt

Beta #2 - 6752   21dpt

#10 MPH

MPH
  • Cyclebase
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

Once you've had your 2 positive Beta's, a Genesis nurse will call you to book you for your first ultrasound. After that, they will either do another one or send you back to your referring doctor to continue your pregnancy! I ended up having 3 ultrasounds at Genesis because of all my bleeding. It was great that I could call and get in the next day. Once you are 9 weeks you are officially discharged (although sometimes sooner if all is well) and it's time to "try" to act like a normal pregnant woman! Oh, and if you are wanting a midwife (which I highly recommend, I've had a great experience so far) then call as soon as you get that second Beta! They fill up fast! If you end up with twins then you'll also have an OB involved like I do. Good luck!

Oh, and all my prenatal screening was organized

Me: 30- repaired septum but otherwise everything normal
DH: 34- all tests normal
February 2010- Time to have a baby! Ha!

March 2011- Finally go see my GP about not being pregnant (wish I had gone sooner). Got referral to OB/GYN
June 2011- HSG shows septated uterus, OB/GYN says its no big deal, here is some Clomid to help speed things along. Bloodwork looks fine, T's SA is "excellent"
Sept-Nov, 2011- 50mg Clomid x3-BFN's Meanwhile, not convinced that a septum is "nothing to worry about", ask my GP for a referral to Genesis
Nov 18, 2011- First meeting with RE. He is shocked that my septum was not dealt with, says that my HSG also showed a polyp...hmm, the OB/GYN never said anything about that
End of November, 2011- In office hysteroscopy shows large polyp and large septum...I need surgery!
January 25, 2012- Laparoscopy/Hysteroscopy: resect septum, remove polyp, tubes are open, no endo, everything looks good! You'll be pregnant within a few months...right...
May-July, 2012- Clomid/IUI's x3- BFN's...likely moving onto IVF

August 29, 2012- Follow-up hysteroscopy shows small septum remains but no need for additional surgery at this point
Sept 4, 2012- IVF orientation- RE recommends ICSI due to long-term unexplained infertility (best decision we ever made)
Sept 9, 2012- Start Synarel nasal spray! Here we go!
Sept 21, 2012- Start stims (Menopur/Bravelle)
Oct 2, 2012- Egg retrieval- 19 eggs!
Oct 3, 2012- This is where it goes downhill. 12 eggs mature and ICSI'd. Only 2 fertilize. Devastated. Guess we are "unexplained" no longer...his super sperm do not like my eggs!
Oct 4, 2012- Day 2 transfer of both embies...looking good...4B and 4C.
Oct 17, 2012- Dark second line on HPT!
Oct 19, 2012- Beta #1...572!!

Oct 25, 2012- Beta #2...3577
Nov 7, 2012- 7 w1d-First Ultrasound...TWINS! OMG! Due date June 25, 2013. Both our tiny day 2's made it! Unbelievable!
Nov 11, 2012- 7w5d-Big gush of bright red blood...is this how it's going to end?
Nov 12, 2012- Emergency ultrasound...both still there and looking great! No cause for the bleeding. Let's hope it doesn't happen again!
Nov 17, 2012- 8w4d- More gushes of blood followed by lots of spotting. ENOUGH!
Nov 19, 2012- Another scan, all is well. No need for further scans unless it gets much worse. Officially graduate from the fertility clinic.
Dec 12, 2012- 12w1d- Nuchal Translucency scan. SCH found as cause of the continued bleeding. Babies look great and so adorable!
Dec 28, 2012- 14w3d- Follow-up scan to make sure the SCH is shrinking. Much smaller now and I'm no longer bleeding every day! Finally!
Feb 6, 2013- 20w1d- Anatomy scan...plan to stay Team Green! Can't wait to see them again! They are moving tons and I'm looking HUGE!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#11 MPH

MPH
  • Cyclebase
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

Ugh, my work computer hates me! The screening was organized through my midwife. 2 bloodtests and a nuchal translucency ultrasound (mine as done at Medray in Coquitlam). Once you have all 3 pieces done, you will get your over-all risk. I think the screening you would have through Olive you'd have to pay for. The screening I had was all covered through MSP. Google "BC Prenatal Genetic Screening". They have a great website.

Me: 30- repaired septum but otherwise everything normal
DH: 34- all tests normal
February 2010- Time to have a baby! Ha!

March 2011- Finally go see my GP about not being pregnant (wish I had gone sooner). Got referral to OB/GYN
June 2011- HSG shows septated uterus, OB/GYN says its no big deal, here is some Clomid to help speed things along. Bloodwork looks fine, T's SA is "excellent"
Sept-Nov, 2011- 50mg Clomid x3-BFN's Meanwhile, not convinced that a septum is "nothing to worry about", ask my GP for a referral to Genesis
Nov 18, 2011- First meeting with RE. He is shocked that my septum was not dealt with, says that my HSG also showed a polyp...hmm, the OB/GYN never said anything about that
End of November, 2011- In office hysteroscopy shows large polyp and large septum...I need surgery!
January 25, 2012- Laparoscopy/Hysteroscopy: resect septum, remove polyp, tubes are open, no endo, everything looks good! You'll be pregnant within a few months...right...
May-July, 2012- Clomid/IUI's x3- BFN's...likely moving onto IVF

August 29, 2012- Follow-up hysteroscopy shows small septum remains but no need for additional surgery at this point
Sept 4, 2012- IVF orientation- RE recommends ICSI due to long-term unexplained infertility (best decision we ever made)
Sept 9, 2012- Start Synarel nasal spray! Here we go!
Sept 21, 2012- Start stims (Menopur/Bravelle)
Oct 2, 2012- Egg retrieval- 19 eggs!
Oct 3, 2012- This is where it goes downhill. 12 eggs mature and ICSI'd. Only 2 fertilize. Devastated. Guess we are "unexplained" no longer...his super sperm do not like my eggs!
Oct 4, 2012- Day 2 transfer of both embies...looking good...4B and 4C.
Oct 17, 2012- Dark second line on HPT!
Oct 19, 2012- Beta #1...572!!

Oct 25, 2012- Beta #2...3577
Nov 7, 2012- 7 w1d-First Ultrasound...TWINS! OMG! Due date June 25, 2013. Both our tiny day 2's made it! Unbelievable!
Nov 11, 2012- 7w5d-Big gush of bright red blood...is this how it's going to end?
Nov 12, 2012- Emergency ultrasound...both still there and looking great! No cause for the bleeding. Let's hope it doesn't happen again!
Nov 17, 2012- 8w4d- More gushes of blood followed by lots of spotting. ENOUGH!
Nov 19, 2012- Another scan, all is well. No need for further scans unless it gets much worse. Officially graduate from the fertility clinic.
Dec 12, 2012- 12w1d- Nuchal Translucency scan. SCH found as cause of the continued bleeding. Babies look great and so adorable!
Dec 28, 2012- 14w3d- Follow-up scan to make sure the SCH is shrinking. Much smaller now and I'm no longer bleeding every day! Finally!
Feb 6, 2013- 20w1d- Anatomy scan...plan to stay Team Green! Can't wait to see them again! They are moving tons and I'm looking HUGE!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers