Photo
- - - - -

Study Shows Women Are Starting Families Later In Life Because They Are Spending Longer In Education

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bud

Bud
  • News Bot
  • 2,901 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:00 AM

A study by the University of Southampton has shown that women are having children later in life mainly because they are spending longer in education...

View the full article

#2 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Site Admin
  • 8,569 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:59 AM

...because it is a constructive alternative to sitting by the phone waiting for a man-child to call you.

In this culture we teach our boys not to settle down, to wait for something better, that marriage/committed relationships will be the end of them. The result? Legions of fabulous single women...waiting. No, taking back their power and getting on with life.

I know too many intelligent and beautiful single women who would LOVE to be mothers, but time and the single men who think they are Peter Pan have not been on their side.

Then if she strikes out on her own to build a family it opens up a new set of judgement.

All too often we blame the women.

These studies are short-sighted.
  • Lisa1995 likes this

#3 Ope

Ope
  • Cyclebase
  • 2,138 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility for now

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

Well, it is totally normal, and know for the long time A few hundreds years ago, when women were not allowed to go to school, their purpose was to serve their man and give birth birth. Even today , in countries where women has no rights, they force marry them as teenagers and they start to producing babies when they are 16 or 18 the latest.
It is the contraceptions that gave women the power to choose when to have their children. The ability to delay childbearing combined the right for education freed the women.
Unfortunately while a high school education and maybe a 1 or 2 yr collage was plenty to get a good paying job a few decades earlier, we need higher and higher education level today to get a good job.

I do not think there is any of the genders out there to "blame". Both gender get higher education,because it is required on the workforce. This obviously delay childbearing. Not to mention the financial burden of settling down and start a family is much higher today then it was. People always wanted financial stability and a home to raise their children.
Today an average house in Canada cost $350,000, which is doubled! within a single decade and quadrupled since the 70's. Although the average salary risen too, but far less sharply. Today a young couple need a much longer time to accumulate enough wealth to purchase a home then it needed a few decades ago.
Back then most couple bought a home soon after marrying. Today couples live in rent for years and years to save up for the down payment and even after that their pay a much higher % of their income to mortgage then they used to.
  • gibasgirl and lisak789 like this
right now me : 37 Dh:40

TTC #1: natural TTC 1.5 yrs
Dh: 35, Severe Male factor infertility, morphology is 1-2%
Me: 32 , tubes open, no endo, regular ovulation, all hormones are good, 3rd day FSH 5.3 , antral follicle count is 12, only problem is my weight BMI: 30

IVF/ ICSI #1: 2008 February -McGill, Montreal
Long protocol: BCP for 1 month, burselin from CD21, 300 Gonal F and 150 Luveris for 10 days
ER: 11 egg , 6 mature , 5 fertilized, 3rd day transfer:a 7 cell & an 8 cell embyos, no frosties.
1st beta : 13dp3dt: 77, BFP
2008,November 19th: Adam has arrived 7 lb 4 oz, 21"

TTC #2: natural TTC 1.5 yr
Dh :39 morphology went up to 4%, we meet the IUI cutoff! count are fluctuating from 30 to 105 million, motility is great. Caryotyping is normal
Me: 36 FSH is slightly elevated and keep rising 8.5, 8.8, 8.9, 9.8 , AFC is still 12, everything else looks good.

IUI #1: Edmonton, 2011 January ,Clomid 50mg (x5), 106 mil ,68% motile, grade 4 :BFN
IUI #2: Edmonton, 2011 February, Clomid 50mg (x5), 30 mil, 57% motile, grade 3: BFN
IUI #3: Edmonton, 2011 March, Clomid 50mg (x5), 88 mil , 49% motile, grade 4: BFN
IVF#2: 2011 May, Edmonton: long protocol , nasal suprefact : CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
IVF#3: 2011 August, Edmonton: short protocol/natural start: CANCELLED due to high progesterone
IVF#4: 2001 September, Edmonton: short protocol with BCP: CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
Change clinic

IVF #5: 2012 March-April Hungary: stimulation starts march 28, 300 Menopur
mixed protocol: BCP for months, CD3: Menopur 300& lupron for 8 days
ER : April 8th , 4 eggs retrieved, all were mature and fertilized with ICSI and AH
ET : April 11th, 1 A quality 8 cell, and 1 A quality 4 cell embryo transferred, no frosties.
BFP on the HPT at 7dp3dt: happy 37th birthday to me :D
Beta: , 12dp3dt: 150, 2nd Beta, 15dp3dt: 550
Anna has arrived on 21st December after being induced at 39 week. She is 6 lb 9 oz, 20" , and has blue eyes, and long dark brown hair and just perfect !

#4 Gillian

Gillian
  • Global 100+
  • 344 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Centre

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

This really isn't new news - I clearly remember agonising as a teen in the late 70s and early 80s about how on earth I could be a young Mum with any sort of career - my role model was my Mum who had 7 years of nursing education and quit on the spot once she married and had her first baby at 26. She never really worked again. Mind you, I didn't meet and marry my husband until I was 32, so worried probably for nothing. I have to say, I would LOVE to be a stay at home Mum at this point.
Women do have it tough with the pressure to advance career-wise and the urge to start a family (I know there are stay at home dads, just not that many). And lots of my Uni friends either never had children or were into their 30s. Just a fact of life nowadays for many.
Me 45, DH 47
Clomid 18 months - one miscarriage at 7 weeks, blighted ovum
IVF#1 2002, BFP - twins, Ian born April 2003, healthy, happy boy
FET #1 2004 - chem
FET #2 early 2005 - BFN
IUI - 2 cancelled cycles d/t no foll development on drugs.
IVF #2 June 2006 - chem
FET August 22 - cancelled, 2 blasts did not survive thaw
IVF #3 Sept 2006 - ER Sept 19, 15 eggs, ET 4x3d embies, BFN.
IVF #4 Feb 2007 - IVIG, heparin, aspirin, dexamethasone, ER Feb 8, 14 eggs, 12 fertilised, ET 13 Feb 4x5d morulas grade 18,19, BFP 23 Feb HCG 158, 26 Feb HCG 430, 28 Feb HCG 709, 2 Mar HCG 1455, 5 Mar HCG 3638, 13 Mar - heartbeat, 7mm baby, 28 Mar - beautiful baby died. No frosties.
IVF #5 August 2007, IVIG, heparin, aspirin, ER Aug 26, 7 eggs, 7 fertilised, ET Aug 29 - 6x3d embryos, Sept 10 - BFP HCG 363, Sept 12 - HCG 685, Sept 14 - HCG 1734. Sept 23 ultrasound 6 wks- one healthy heartbeat, Oct 9 ultrasound 8 wks- it's TWINS! 18 wk ultrasound - 8oz each. 23 week ultrasound A - 1lb 8oz, B - 1lb 2oz. 28 week ultrasound - A 3lb 1oz, B 2lb 8 oz. 33 week ultrasound A - head down, 4lb 8oz; B - breech, 4lb; cervix effaced and 1-2cm dilated! April 1 - admitted to hosp for bedrest, 4cm dilated.
26 April 2008, Babies born - Patrick 5lb 13oz and Fergal 5lb 8oz.
December 2009 - Natural BFP - thank-you metformin! April 7, 2010 - ultrasound - it's a healthy girl.
11 August 2010 - Aoife born, 7lb 10oz - the mellowest, happiest baby ever. Our beautiful family is complete.

src="http://lb3f.lilypie.com/bdZYm7.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie Third Birthday tickers" />

src="http://lb5f.lilypie.com/kb4Am7.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers" />

src="http://lbyf.lilypie.com/Eqbom7.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers" />

#5 impatient

impatient
  • Cyclebase
  • 2,794 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:public adoption

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

They needed to do a study to figure that out?!

It seems like women just can't win. If you go to school for years and years so that you can get a good job that might allow you to afford to raise a family, then you're foolish for waiting 'too long', but then if you don't go to school or get a job because you want to take advantage of your 'prime' childbearing years, well then you're foolish for not getting an education or a job that will allow you to provide.

Ope - sigh ... I wish you could buy a house for $350,000 in Vancouver ...
  • gibasgirl likes this
Me: 41, DH: 44
TTC: since Jan, 2008 (age 34)

DH: Low morphology, low count. Me: Stage 2-3 endometriosis, non-functional fallopian tubes, small fibroids, low AFC, low poor responder ... anything else?

Jun 2008-Sep 2011 in a nutshell: One HSG, one very traumatic office hysteroscopy, one operative laparoscopy, three fresh IVF/ICSI cycles, one chemical, one early miscarriage, two tubal recanalizations, five IUIs (3 with Clomid).

May 2010 - Aug 2011 Attempted adoption application process through the BC MCFD. Aug 2011 Signed up with a private agency. On both waiting lists as of Apr 2012. Proposal through MCFD Jul 2012. Aug 2012 - Finally ... she's home and we're a family! : )

Adoption application #2 started Aug 2013. DD2 placed May 2014. Now waiting/hoping for adoption order.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas Edison