• Global 100+
  • 672 posts
  • Interests:Completing my family
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:CReATe

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

Hi ladies,
I need some help with questions.

I have seen my fertility doctor a few times. The second time I went was for the test to see if my tubes are open. On my last visit he said they are both blocked and I will not be able to conceive naturally. He has also told me that he does not open tubes as it is not very successful as they usually close up again soon after. I have heard of people having theirs opened but wanted to know if this is just a new policy. Has anyone else encountered this or had their tubes unblocked recently? I have left messages for my doctor to get back to me with some questions that I wanted answers to but its been a couple of weeks. I have also read that sometimes during the test (which was horribly painful) that if you react a certain way (clenching etc) it may show a blockage that isn't there. Is this true???

Thanks for any advice you can provide me
Me 39 DH 36
July 2012 HSG test showed blocked tubes
Sept 16/13 Consult at CReATe with Dr. Librach who will make me a Mummy in 2014
Sept 16/13 Bloodwork and AMH test (A little low)
Oct 15/13: Hysterscopy 2 polyps removed and 2 coils inserted
IVF #1Nov 4th: CD2 start BCP
Nov 11th: Start Lupron injections
Nov 27: Start Gonal F and Repronex
Dec 12: ER Estrace and Progesterone suppositories
Dec 15: ET 3 survived the process (including ICSI) Transferred 2. 1 frozen
Pregnancy test December 29th: BFN
FET #1Start Estrace again
Jan 8/14: IV Intralipids
FET: Jan 16
Beta test results Feb 1st: BFFN

#2 lisak789

lisak789
  • 46 posts
  • My Clinic:Foothills

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

Hi there! I have an appointment to get my tubes unblocked both mine are closed as well and my doctor said that he wants to put stints in my tubes. My doctor is amazing and he said that it is very successful "short term" because the tubes more then often get scar tissue when you monkey to much with them and that causes them to close or become blocked again. So I am going to still go for getting the tubes unblocked while I am in waite for this IVF stuff to all take place. ( I am still waiting for the consult) I know that if they try and blast the tubes open with a HSG using saliene solution it can be painful but for putting the stints in I will be going under for that thank goodness. And yes it is true I herd that sometimes during a procedure where you are tense or close to getting your period that the tubes can show that they are blocked even when they are in fact open.

Good Luck!!
Lisa
Posted Image

#3 Muminwaiting

Muminwaiting
  • Global 100+
  • 672 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

Thanks Lisa. I appreciate any info as this is all so new to me. Are you in Alberta?
Me 39 DH 36

#4 Dreamingofyou

Dreamingofyou
  • Global 100+
  • 381 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

Hi muminwaiting, if it's of any consolation Ontario covers up to 3 IVF Treatments if your tubes are blocked.

I see it as the good news among the bad ones. Good luck!
  • gibasgirl likes this
DH:43 me:33
TTC: 2 years (that's how long it took with baby#1, now 6yo)
Dx: DH shows a, bit, lower than average count. I had a polyp on the entrance of my uterus
Polyp removed: February 1, 2012
Started Metformin: February 4, 2012
Injections Training: March 5, 2012
IVF#1 (and only FX): 100IU Puregon on March 12, 2012
ER: March 21, 2012
ET: March 24, 2012
Beta: April 9, 2012
BFN
IVF#2
ET: June 19, 2012 (2 embryos)
BFP: July 3, 2012
Beta #2: July 5th more than doubled
US: July 23rd, one strong heartbeat at 154bpm!!
EDD: March 9, 2013
DD was born march 8, 2013
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#5 Muminwaiting

Muminwaiting
  • Global 100+
  • 672 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

Hi Dreamingofyou,
My doctor is in KIngston and satellites with a clinic in Ottawa who will likely not do it for me as my BMI is over 35. I may ask to be referred to a clinic in Toronto. Are you in Toronto?
Me 39 DH 36

#6 Muminwaiting

Muminwaiting
  • Global 100+
  • 672 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

Oh and nice baby bump Deamingofyou. Congrats!
Me 39 DH 36

#7 lisak789

lisak789
  • 46 posts
  • My Clinic:Foothills

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

Hi Muminwaiting! Yes I am in Alberta! And here in Alberta no IVF is covered at all! Not to sound rude to anyone but its odd that the government will cover a sex change but wont help out to create life! lol
Posted Image

#8 Muminwaiting

Muminwaiting
  • Global 100+
  • 672 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

Oh come on you have to be kidding me??? Nothing is covered for IVF? What if you go to Ontario? Is that even an option?
Me 39 DH 36

#9 BabyDustandDreams

BabyDustandDreams
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Riding horses, obsessing about having a baby.
  • My Clinic:Mt. Sinai

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:04 PM

Hi Muminwaiting, we have a similar story I think... I also have a high BMI, though I am trying to loose some lbs prior to my referral to Mt. Sinai, I did not realise that they will not/do not like to do IVF on pudgy ladies.....??? OHIP will cover your first three cycles at Mt.Sinai - it just does not cover drugs. I no longer have a right tube or ovary, they took both of them out 3 weeks ago when my last pregnancy ended in a rupture due to an ectopic. My left tube is blocked so that leaves my one good ovary and a heck of a lot of luck! My surgeon, Dr. Laskin who is a locum dr for Dr. Walsh told me after the surgery that they could attempt to unblock my tube, but he said often it is painful and does not work. He also pointed out that by the time you do surgery on the tube, rest, try for a baby.... years can have passed and as I am 32 and DH is 35 I would like to have a baby in 2013.

My question to you is that since you can get OHIP to pay, why wouldnt you just go straight through to IVF and save your self the heart ache?
Me: 32
DH: 35
TTC: 4 Years

I wish that I could cohesively list all the dates of all the stuff that has gone on with this fertility struggle, but I cant remember the dates, but here is a list ... which should give you the gist.

2 years, TTC naturally BFN all of the time!
1 year ago we go on Clomid, on the third month BFP! - chemical pregnancy 4wks
Clomid again, BFP - ectopic treated with Methotrexate (sad day)
Clomid again BFP - chemical 5wks
Sonohystogram - all is ok, DH is checked - he's fine too - no explanation

6 months later

August, Clomid BFP!
Beta doubelling, YES!
5 wk u/s no gestational sac anywhere
6wk u/s same as above
7wk u/s same again, FS suggests Methotrexate based on my past history, we decide we are going to wait another 48 hours to confirm as u/s cannot see sac though also cannot see anything in tubes etc and we are hopeful that dates are slightly early, we really want this baby so we decide to wait it out.
48 hours later in the shower, tube ruptures - off to Emerg
u/s - heart beat in my r.tube (tears and unbelievable sadness)
Surgery to remove r.tube - Dr tells me after that he took my r.ovary as well as my tube was fused to my ovary with scar tissue.
Dr runs die through left tube to check its open..... blocked!

Awaiting referral to Mt. Sinai for 3 OHIP covered rounds of IVF.

Referral to Mt.Sinai October 17th (got the phone call in about a week from the time i sent the referral) !!

#10 Muminwaiting

Muminwaiting
  • Global 100+
  • 672 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

Hi Muminwaiting, we have a similar story I think... I also have a high BMI, though I am trying to loose some lbs prior to my referral to Mt. Sinai, I did not realise that they will not/do not like to do IVF on pudgy ladies.....??? OHIP will cover your first three cycles at Mt.Sinai - it just does not cover drugs. I no longer have a right tube or ovary, they took both of them out 3 weeks ago when my last pregnancy ended in a rupture due to an ectopic. My left tube is blocked so that leaves my one good ovary and a heck of a lot of luck! My surgeon, Dr. Laskin who is a locum dr for Dr. Walsh told me after the surgery that they could attempt to unblock my tube, but he said often it is painful and does not work. He also pointed out that by the time you do surgery on the tube, rest, try for a baby.... years can have passed and as I am 32 and DH is 35 I would like to have a baby in 2013.

My question to you is that since you can get OHIP to pay, why wouldnt you just go straight through to IVF and save your self the heart ache?

Sorry to hear about your loss and thanks for your response. Maybe we will be going through IVF at the same time hopefully soon at Mount Sinai. Regarding the BMI subject, that was apparently for Ottawa only I believe although there may be others but not Mount Sinai to my knowledge. I was told they do not unblock tubes any more as they tend ot close up soon after. I know with the age thing we are ticking clocks right? I wish you the best of luck on your baby journey.
Hope we can stay in touch.
Jen
Me 39 DH 36

#11 Muminwaiting

Muminwaiting
  • Global 100+
  • 672 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

Oh to answer to answer your question...its that I was just hoping to have a baby the old fashion way LOL
Me 39 DH 36

#12 BabyDustandDreams

BabyDustandDreams
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Riding horses, obsessing about having a baby.
  • My Clinic:Mt. Sinai

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:26 AM

Oh to answer to answer your question...its that I was just hoping to have a baby the old fashion way LOL

I totally understand, my DH and I were very stubborn about wanting to have our baby naturally, it was devastating to realize that it was never going to happen, but as I am 32 I want to try my IVF as soon as possible because i am hoping to have more than one!! in fact i am hoping for twins!! And, that would be AWESOME if we cycled together!! And just an FYI, i spoke to another woman who had IVF coverage on OHIP due to bilaterial blocked tubes and she said that at Mt. Sinai she paid for nothing except parking and ICSI which is where they inject the sperm into the egg, and your DR advises if this is something that you need at the point of referral. ICSI was $1500. Oh, and OHIP does not pay for FET either, so if you have any frosties, down the road you would have to pay for implantation. And of course, the drugs we would have to pay for unless you had a drug plan through work. Speak soon xo
Me: 32
DH: 35
TTC: 4 Years

I wish that I could cohesively list all the dates of all the stuff that has gone on with this fertility struggle, but I cant remember the dates, but here is a list ... which should give you the gist.

2 years, TTC naturally BFN all of the time!
1 year ago we go on Clomid, on the third month BFP! - chemical pregnancy 4wks
Clomid again, BFP - ectopic treated with Methotrexate (sad day)
Clomid again BFP - chemical 5wks
Sonohystogram - all is ok, DH is checked - he's fine too - no explanation

6 months later

August, Clomid BFP!
Beta doubelling, YES!
5 wk u/s no gestational sac anywhere
6wk u/s same as above
7wk u/s same again, FS suggests Methotrexate based on my past history, we decide we are going to wait another 48 hours to confirm as u/s cannot see sac though also cannot see anything in tubes etc and we are hopeful that dates are slightly early, we really want this baby so we decide to wait it out.
48 hours later in the shower, tube ruptures - off to Emerg
u/s - heart beat in my r.tube (tears and unbelievable sadness)
Surgery to remove r.tube - Dr tells me after that he took my r.ovary as well as my tube was fused to my ovary with scar tissue.
Dr runs die through left tube to check its open..... blocked!

Awaiting referral to Mt. Sinai for 3 OHIP covered rounds of IVF.

Referral to Mt.Sinai October 17th (got the phone call in about a week from the time i sent the referral) !!

#13 Muminwaiting

Muminwaiting
  • Global 100+
  • 672 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

I totally understand, my DH and I were very stubborn about wanting to have our baby naturally, it was devastating to realize that it was never going to happen, but as I am 32 I want to try my IVF as soon as possible because i am hoping to have more than one!! in fact i am hoping for twins!! And, that would be AWESOME if we cycled together!! And just an FYI, i spoke to another woman who had IVF coverage on OHIP due to bilaterial blocked tubes and she said that at Mt. Sinai she paid for nothing except parking and ICSI which is where they inject the sperm into the egg, and your DR advises if this is something that you need at the point of referral. ICSI was $1500. Oh, and OHIP does not pay for FET either, so if you have any frosties, down the road you would have to pay for implantation. And of course, the drugs we would have to pay for unless you had a drug plan through work. Speak soon xo

Ya I'm sure the drugs will be enough to break the bank anyway LOL. But it'll be worth it!
Me 39 DH 36