Photo
- - - - -

How long after ivf before your ovaries shrink?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ramen

ramen
  • 16 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:genesis

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

Hello ladies,

I had my last cycle in June and it ended in a BFN. I almost had OHSS and was prescribed Dostinex. During my WTF meeting (about 2 weeks after my beta) my RE told me that my ovaries would shrink back to normal size within a couple of weeks.

Well, it's been 2.5 months since my beta. My ovaries are still large. Although I don't feel any pain (aside from some minor twinges), I can see the right side (the more active ovary) potruding more. It's been this way since my final week of stims. I'm waiting to see my RE. In the meantime, the internet is my sole source of information and some of what I've read is a little scary. So, would you ladies be able to provide some perspective.

How long after IVF before your ovaries returned to normal size?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
TTC 10 yrs+
Dx: Advanced Maternal Age

IVF 1:
June 2012: IVF + ICSI BFN

Moving on to DE.

#2 smurfette_wong

smurfette_wong
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,165 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

I think mine took about 6 weeks to feel normal again. I remember when I went to my 7 week u/s, the RE said that they were back to normal.

Me: genetic issues
DH: genetic issues, MFI

TTC since Summer 2009

See my profile for details

#3 lynblair

lynblair
  • Global 100+
  • 255 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:20 PM

Sorry about your BFN. That sucks. And of course bog ovaries does not help.
I am not in the same situation, as we were blessed with a BFP, however I am 18 weeks today and my left ovary is still sore and my right one just stopped hurting last week. So, especially if you had really acitve ovaries during your stim they can take a long time to go back to normal. Worth mentioning to RE, as you dont want there to be a persistent cyst or something that might interfere with upcoming cycles.
Best of luck.

Me: 37
DH: 43
TTC: 3+ years
Dx: Recurrent Miscarriages and Male Factor

Feb 2009: BFP - #1 miscarriage at ~ 6 weeks
May 2010: BFP - #2 miscarriage at ~ 6 weeks
October 2010: BFP - # 3 miscarriage at ~ 6 weeks
November to March: Clomid for 3 cycles - BFN
Work up for Recurrent Losses - All normals for me
April 2011: BFP - #4 Miscarriage at ~ 6 weeks
Diagnosed with Male Factor - Joined wonderful clinic in BC
May 2011 - Started IVF, delayed due to flare (lupron)
August 2011 - IVF #1 - 2 perfect embryos transfered (4 frosties) - BFN
October 2011 - Start FET, delayed by a month because of flare (lupron)
Jan 2012 - FET #1 - 2 perfect embryos - BFN
Feb 2012 - FET #2 - 1 perfect embyos, 1 50% expanded - BBFFN
Had 10 (or maybe more) embryos try to grow and no such luck yet??
Finished homestudy, waiting to be on the active list for private adoption is Alberta and USA.
May 2012: IVF #2 - 2 (3AA and 2AA) blasts transferred (3 frozen) - the wait begins.......
Mild OHSS symptoms (re)start on 6dp5dt
8dp5dt Hpt = BFP!!!!!!
10dp5dt - Beta #1 - 505
12dp5dt - Beta #2 - 1485 (doubling, yipee!)
Come on babies, please grow so we can meet you!
6w4d u/s - shows a twin pregnancy, but just one detectable heartbeat @113pbm.
7w4d u/s - 2 babies on board, measuring right on track, heartbeats @ 155 and 163.

12w3d - NT scan - all parts accounted for, measuring 12w3d and 12w2d, HB 149 and 147. Waving and kicking around.
21w3d - Anatomy scan #1 - both babies growing well and measuring 3-5 days ahead. 1lb1oz and 15 oz. Babes too busy to get all images.
22w2d - Anatomy scan #2 - babies doing great, still really active but all systems on mom and babies are looking good. 1lb2oz and 1lb1oz!!
28w4d - U/S - babies looking good, HB 150 and 154, measuring 28w6d and 2 lbs 12 oz.
32w1d - U/S - babies doing so great!! Measuring 4lb2oz and 4lb4oz, getting chubby cheaks. All systems are good to go, these babies look like they will be in momma for a while. We are so incredibly, incerdbly blessed and so in love.
34w2d - U/S - babies doing great, both very big at 4lb15oz and 5lb1oz. All measurements great.

35w6d - Admitted to hospital with high blood pressure.  NST great!!  2 cm dilated

36w1d - U/S - babies are doing good, saw one stick out its tongue.  Baby A measuring 5 lbs 3 oz and baby B measuring 5 lbs 14 oz.  

36w4d - Induction for high blood pressure.  3 cm dilated, MD broke water, 2 hours of hard labour with an epidural.  

Babies make it safe and sound, thank you universe and everyone.  

Baby A - Cierra was born at 5lbs 11 oz, and 16 minutes later Baby B, Emmett was born at 5 lb 1 oz. 

Momma got to take them back to her room with her.  We are so in love it hurts!  

Babies came home < 48 hours after delivery, we are so incredible blessed and grateful. 

#4 Juliet

Juliet
  • Global 100+
  • 718 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:18 PM

Sorry to hear about the BFN :( It's so difficult, but hang in there.

I had mild OHSS and was on Dostinex. It's hard to know exactly what was going on with my stomach - through cycling and the IVF, I gained some weight and my stomach seemed to take the brunt of it. Although I am now over 16 weeks pregnant, I can still wear the same clothing I did while going through IVF, so I definitely know I was bloated and for awhile. At 10.5 weeks when I graduated from my clinic, I was told during my last internal u/s that I still had enlarged ovaries and 4 long follicles still growing in one ovary! So I definitely think it can take a long while for the body to sort itself out and readjust. The enlarged ovaries and effect of the meds is really a major thing and as I always took things day to day for a long time, I didn't really reflect on how much my body had taken until the meds stopped.

I think your (our) scenario is very common. Wishing you all the very best on your next cycle! :)

#5 Muminwaiting

Muminwaiting
  • Global 100+
  • 672 posts
  • Interests:Completing my family
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:CReATe

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:51 PM

Does WTF stand for what I think it stands for? LOL
Me 39 DH 36
July 2012 HSG test showed blocked tubes
Sept 16/13 Consult at CReATe with Dr. Librach who will make me a Mummy in 2014
Sept 16/13 Bloodwork and AMH test (A little low)
Oct 15/13: Hysterscopy 2 polyps removed and 2 coils inserted
IVF #1Nov 4th: CD2 start BCP
Nov 11th: Start Lupron injections
Nov 27: Start Gonal F and Repronex
Dec 12: ER Estrace and Progesterone suppositories
Dec 15: ET 3 survived the process (including ICSI) Transferred 2. 1 frozen
Pregnancy test December 29th: BFN
FET #1Start Estrace again
Jan 8/14: IV Intralipids
FET: Jan 16
Beta test results Feb 1st: BFFN

#6 mistiqueallie

mistiqueallie

Mistiqueallie

• Cyclebase
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:Disneyland, crafting, reading, travelling
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Program - Calgary

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

Yes - it's an appointment after a BFN or miscarriage to try to figure out "what the f@#%" went wrong.

I had 25 eggs retreived and ET cancelled due to excessively high E2 - definitely felt my ovaries the day after trigger and they stayed larger, and mildly painful for about two weeks - until my AF started. If I turned in certain ways in bed, I could feel the R ovary more, just before AF started. Since AF, I haven't had any ovary pain, but that could be because I'm focusing on my pulled hamstring/pinched nerve in my back and it doesn't seem bad in comparison?

Allie

ME: 32, PCOS, irregular periods, anovulation, overweight
DH: 44, practically perfect in every way

TTC: 7 years (since we got married in Sept. 2006)
Clinic: Regional Fertility Program since 2010

IVF - Antagonist, no suppression, August 2012
Freeze-all: See "About Me" in my profile for IVF details

FET - Artificial (Medicated) Cycle, November/December 2012

Suprefact supression, Estrace and Prometrium

BFN - See "About Me" for details

FET - Artificial (Medicated) Cycle, March/April/May 2013

Lupron supression, Estrace and Prometrium

Mar 22 - start Lupron injections 1 x per day
Apr 01 - still sticking needles...
Apr 12 - ultrasound looks good - green light to start Estrace, back to clinic on Apr 26th
Apr 26 - lining check - everything's good, transfer on Wednesday! Stop Lupron, start Prometrium
May 1 - transfer day! 1 "beautiful" 5 day frosty transferred, 9 left
May 2 - May 12 - waiting, waiting, waiting
May 13 - day before official test - nervous wreck, crying a lot... convinced my DH to let me test - first EVER BFP!!!!
May 14 - official test day --- th_abfp.gif  Estimated due date: January 17, 2014
Jul 09 - NT ultrasound - everything looks AWESOME... so exciting to see a little person on the screen!
Jul 17 - trip to ER due to heavy red bleeding, ultrasound showed healthy baby moving with a great heartrate
Aug 14 - first OB apt - finally heard heartbeat on Doppler (anterior placenta prevented Dr from finding earlier)
Aug 26 - Anatomy ultrasound - everything looks great, probably a girl and have to go back as she's not cooperating!
Sep 04 - Anatomy ultrasound (Take II) - still looking great, probably a girl, and have to go back AGAIN as she's still not cooperating!
Sep 17 - THIRD Anatomy ultrasound - finally got all pics we needed, definitely a girl
Sep 30 - Little Megan made a dramatic entrance at 24w3d by emergency c-section (IC and bulging membranes). 1lb 10oz and 12.5 in, being cared for by the wonderful nurses and doctors in the NICU

#7 Muminwaiting

Muminwaiting
  • Global 100+
  • 672 posts
  • Interests:Completing my family
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:CReATe

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

Yes - it's an appointment after a BFN or miscarriage to try to figure out "what the f@#%" went wrong.

I had 25 eggs retreived and ET cancelled due to excessively high E2 - definitely felt my ovaries the day after trigger and they stayed larger, and mildly painful for about two weeks - until my AF started. If I turned in certain ways in bed, I could feel the R ovary more, just before AF started. Since AF, I haven't had any ovary pain, but that could be because I'm focusing on my pulled hamstring/pinched nerve in my back and it doesn't seem bad in comparison?

Allie

I had a feeling thats what it meant. Tx
Me 39 DH 36
July 2012 HSG test showed blocked tubes
Sept 16/13 Consult at CReATe with Dr. Librach who will make me a Mummy in 2014
Sept 16/13 Bloodwork and AMH test (A little low)
Oct 15/13: Hysterscopy 2 polyps removed and 2 coils inserted
IVF #1Nov 4th: CD2 start BCP
Nov 11th: Start Lupron injections
Nov 27: Start Gonal F and Repronex
Dec 12: ER Estrace and Progesterone suppositories
Dec 15: ET 3 survived the process (including ICSI) Transferred 2. 1 frozen
Pregnancy test December 29th: BFN
FET #1Start Estrace again
Jan 8/14: IV Intralipids
FET: Jan 16
Beta test results Feb 1st: BFFN