#1 hopefulgirl

hopefulgirl
  • Global 100+
  • 790 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

Do these work?

I was (am) extremely cautious (paranoid) and have our 6 month old in a crib with only a sleep sack and sheet. He keeps nudging himself into the bars until his head is pushing right against them. I'm moving him several times a nap/sleep but somehow he ends up back up there. The other morning he woke up with a red line from the bars on his little forehead and I'm sure a wicked headache. I'm really hesitant to add anything to the crib but feel for the wee guy.

Has anyone tried the breathable bumpers? Would they help and are they worth the $?
DX:PCOS 2 years, lots of tears and one lucky IVF cycle...
Winter 2012 - Welcome to the world baby boy!
Summer 2013- Surprise BFP makes two?!
Aug - NT scan looks great. In love already.
Feb 2014- Welcome baby boy #2

#2 Yearning

Yearning
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,358 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Foothills

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

My girlfriend used breathable bumpers for her DS. I don't know if there are several "types" out there or not. The ones she was using would not have stopped the type of marks on a LO's head that you are talking about. Her bumpers were very thin and mesh like. They did not really provide any protection at all. Maybe there are other types out there. She has not used them for DS #2. I have no idea what she paid for them.

Sorry I don't have any better information for you. Perhaps some of the other ladies will have more info.

Me (46), DH (47)
Dx: Nothing other than advanced maternal age. DH - poor count, motility and morphology
TTC since August 2007

Straight to IVF/ICSI, assisted hatching
ER - May 22, 2010, ET - May 25, 2010
BFP
DD born January 26, 2011 at 37w4d, 6 lbs 15.8 oz, 20.5 inches

#3 frostedlemon

frostedlemon
  • 1000+
  • 1,354 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Clinic

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:16 PM

We have them (they were given to us) and it depends on what you want them for. If you're trying to cushion his head from hitting the bars, no, they're too thin for that. But if he's sticking his arms and legs out and getting stuck and screaming, or if his pacifiers keep leaping out and you want to keep them in, they'll work for that.

There are those bumpers that wrap each bar individually that you can find, I forget what they're called, those might provide a bit more cushioning without the risk of traditional bumpers. They tend to be rather expensive though, and if you wanted more of a barrier type later on, you'd have to buy a different set again. Oh, I just googled it - they're called Wonder Bumpers.

See About Me for full info.

“Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.” - Albert Einstein

#4 sharlene

sharlene
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,700 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:USA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

We use the breathable bumpers for our son - and they have been very worthwhile for us. They keep him from getting his hands and feet stuck - well, at this point, he would untangle himself easily, but he's now 20 months old. When he was younger, I thought they did a great job keeping him safer - but without the worries of SIDS. I generally followed all the recommendations for reducing the likelihood of SIDS and this was one of them. I recall them being about $20 - which is surely less than most people spent on crib sets - if you can get them used, it's even better, as they are completely washable in the machine - but I think we line dry them, if I recall correctly (they have been thrown up on a few times!).

I think they would prevent your little one from getting up against the bars - at least there's something keeping the baby from it - they are definitely not as thick as the old time bumpers but they help.