• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mtoto

Mtoto
  • 18 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:One

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

From reading from threads it seems many people are on IVF. We were thinking on starting with IUI given that the only problem we know from our GP is low sperm count. I haven't been tested yet so we were thinking IUI. Now am wondering whether we should do an IVF. Any comments, insights, suggestions!

#2 DesignerBug

DesignerBug
  • 1000+
  • 2,646 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:ONE

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

Depending on the severity of your male factor issues and if you have any known issues I am a strong believer in starting with IUI's first. Fertility treatments are a much more challenging emotional and physical roller coaster than we anticipate. Even when we think we're strong and we can take on the world, things catch us off guard and send us for a spin. IUI's also allow you and your medical team to learn how you respond to the medication, so if you were to need IVF down the road, they could do a better job making sure you have the right dosages of meds to optimize your success.

ONE is a great clinic, with great staff. They are good at making informed and realistic recommendations. Treatments are not an exact science and the more you give them to work with, the better your odds can be. Think of it as baby steps.

In addition there are a number of couples on here with low counts who have been able to raise their counts with herbs and vitamins. I would try and see if you can get his numbers up first, then see where you stand. Beware that everything in the world of fertility takes time, so stock up on your patience.

Best of Luck.

D
TTC#1 April 2003 - Jan 2009
9 IUIs, 12 months Fermara, 4 months Clomid, 5 rounds of injectable, 1 LAP, 1 HSG, 2 Uterine Biopsies, 1 Postcoital, 1 IVF, 2 FETs... 2nd Fesh Cycle IVF - ++Beta 110!

TTC#2 - Dreams coming true... Surprise BFP Au Naturel! Never really started trying, but never gave up hope on dreams coming true. 20w2, after 6 days of strict bedrest, we lost our baby boy, Emmett to my incompetent cervix and he was born sleeping. 24cm long, 0.67lbs he was the most perfect little angel and has brought with him many lessons for us to remember him by.

Lightening strikes twice apparently>>>> May 24 ++HPT, Followed by ++Beta. Numbers are low, but doubling. EDD Feb1/2013

#3 runnerchick

runnerchick
  • Global 100+
  • 721 posts
  • Interests:music, running, throwing the ball for my golden girl!
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Calgary

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:26 AM

Even though our doc wanted to go straight to IVF, we asked to attempt 3 rounds of IUI first, just to feel like we had done everything possible. She said sure, and IUI #1 worked!! Our official non-diagnosis is "unexplained," so that differs from yours. I have 2 friends who also have healthy babies from IUI- one on IUI #2, and one on IUI #4.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers