Photo
- - - - -

Urologist - need a recommendatio please!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Goldwishbone

Goldwishbone
  • Cyclebase
  • 63 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

Hi - we received quite a blow this week when my husband and I learned that there was no sperm in his semen analysis.

His doctor told him he did not know of any urologist's that would specialize in determining what the issue is. So of course, I hit Google - oh trusted friend and enemy - and found myself here.

II have since learned that we need to determine if my husband does in fact make sperm or if the lack of sperm is due to a blockage or defect. We need help.

We live in Toronto, Canada. Do you have any names of urologists that sub specializes in male reproductive issues? Any idea on the wait times to see one? I would appreciate any advice. We feel like we are floating without any support or direction...

Thank you.

#2 JAllen

JAllen
  • Cyclebase
  • 826 posts
  • Interests:I love to read. I also crochet and spend my weekends cooking.
  • My Clinic:Ottawa Fertility Clinic

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

I don't live in toronto so I can't help you. Have you been refered to a feritily clinic yet ? becuase the RE there should be able to give you that information. Or if you have not been referred perhaps you can call one of the clinic up and ask for a name. I am sure they can help you there.

Good Luck!

Start TTC in 2008 ( Me: 26 DH 28)
Referred to OFC June 2009 testing until 2012 
January 2012....MF
Feb 10 2012 .......Consent signing to IVF!

IVF 1 May 2012- BFN IVF 2 Jan 2013 -BFN  IVF 3 May 2013 BFN  FET #1  Oct 2013 BFN 

It is a world of BFN's for me,  Told there is no reason why it hasn't worked, so on to plan B Adoption  

Me 32 DH 35 

January 19th 2014 - PRIDE Course Begins

​January 2014 Found an  Adoption Practitioner

January 30, 2014  Home study begins 

April 16 2014 Finally adopt Ready! 

#3 Karolinasmommy

Karolinasmommy
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,088 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

I'd suggest the urology clinic at Mt.Sinai hospital. My DH sees Dr.Lo there...he is amazing! Good luck!!
We got into see him within a month, so as long as your schedule permits, you can get in pretty quickly.

#4 Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

• Cyclebase
  • 1,159 posts
  • My Clinic:Procrea montreal

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

I suggest doing both of these! Meeting with the urologist and the fertility clinic! The wait times can be so long at times! It's worth getting your name in there now. Worst case scenario, should you guys decide not to proceed with IVF, you simply cancel the appointment. No biggie.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes, courage is the tiny voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow'"

Me: 33 - DH: 34
Dx: Male Factor

IVF #1 - March 2012
Egg Retrieval: Only 5 wee-guys - 3 fertilized - None of them survived... cycle cancelled.

IVF #2 June 2012
Retrieval: 13 eggs - 5 fertilized - transferred two grade A embryos on Day 3.
One blast at day 6 - but not good enough quality to freeze - th_abfn.gif

IVF #3 - August 2012
Retrieval - 15 eggs retrieved, 14 fertilized - Transferred 2 blasts. None to freeze -
Aug. 27th: BFP
May 6th, 2013
Our baby boy is born with 10 fingers and 10 toes!

(See my profile page for more details)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

IVF 2.0 - The Quest for Sibling Begins

IVF #4 - March 2014
Egg retrieval: 4 eggs - 3 fertilized
Day 3: 2 left - 1- 6 cells - 1 - 8 cells
Day 5: Cycle cancelled. Both embryos have stopped developing.

IVF #5: June 2014
Retrieved 9 - 8 mature.
Day 3: 4 embryos ranging from 5-7 cells. Not very hopeful at this point.
Hoping for a day 5 blast to transfer...

Day 5:  Embryologist called - there are no embryos of high quality to transfer.  Cycle is once again cancelled.

#5 elephantshoes

elephantshoes
  • Cyclebase
  • 521 posts
  • My Clinic:LifeQuest

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

I'll second Karolinasmommy and recommend Mount Sinai. We see Dr. Jarvi there and really like him - we were told its the best clinic in Toronto if not Canada (although I'm sure there's some bias).

EternalOptimist - take a big deep breath. I know that this seems like the worst news that you could possibly get, but there is help out there. Your journey to having a baby is not over. You're going to need some time to process, but it does get easier. You need answers. Tell your GP (if you don't have a fertility clinic) to write a requestition for you to a Urologist - you'll wait a few more weeks to get in and then the best in the business will be able to tell you what's going on.

Wishing you luck and strength on this journey. I'm so sorry you've had to join us here, but you are more than welcome and you'll find great support from everyone here.

#6 Goldwishbone

Goldwishbone
  • Cyclebase
  • 63 posts
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

THANK YOU EVERYONE. Your support - in just a few hours - has meant a lot. I will keep posting and trying to stay positive.

#7 KiwiGal

KiwiGal
  • Global 100+
  • 579 posts
  • My Clinic:Ottawa Fertility Centre

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

EternalOptimist - I'm so sorry to hear your news, but there are tons of great doctors and clinics out there to help!

My DH has Azoospermia (no sperm in semen) as well, so I know this must be a big shock to you and DH! Like the other ladies have said, your journey to having a baby is nowhere near over! There is so much they can do these days and fertility procedures are only getting better. My DH and I just recently went through all the testing and procedure on him to extract sperm and are just getting ready to do our first IVF cycle at the end of the month. If you have any questions or just want to chat, feel free to PM me!
2005/06 - DH diagnosed with CF (mild form) & MFI
May 31, 2012 - DH appointment with urologist
June 5, 2012 - Consent signing for IVF w/ICSI
June 20, 2012 - DH TESE/PESA appointment
July 5, 2012 - F/U B/W to check thyroid level
August 15, 2012 - Appointment with nurse to learn injections
August 31, 2012 - Called in Day 1!
September 1, 2012 - Day 2 b/w; starting 125 IU Puregon tonight!
September 5, 2012 - Day 5 b/w and u/s - 4 lead follicles with 27 small on the right and 17 small on the left!
September 7, 2012 - Day 7 b/w and u/s - 19 follicles measuring on the chart w/ several small trying to catch up!
September 9, 2012 - Day 9 b/w and u/s - Almost there! Over 20 follicles measuring on the chart, but not over 16mm yet...
September 10, 2012 - Day 10 b/w and u/s - 6 follicles over 17mm; 20-ish measuring close behind. At risk for OHSS. :(TRIGGER tonight @ 10pm!!! Stopped injections & started Dostinex (for OHSS)
September 12, 2012 - 10am - ER! 25 eggs retrieved
September 13, 2012 - Fertilization report: 16 out of 25 eggs fertilized! Scheduled a Day 5 transfer. :)
September 17, 2012 - Transferred 1 very good quality (B3-BB) embryo!
September 25, 2012 - 8dp5dt - BFP on FRER!!!!
September 28, 2012 - Beta #1 - 314!!!!
October 1, 2012 - Beta #2 - 900!!
October 5, 2012 - U/S - Shows 1 gestational and yolk sac in the uterus. :) We're over the moon!
October 26, 2012 - U/S and follow up w/ Dr. Vause - 1 very healthy baby measuring 1 week ahead! HB 176. Graduated from the clinic today!
November 1, 2012 - 1st Midwife Appointment!!
November 23, 2012 - IPS U/S and B/W
December 6, 2012 - 2nd Midwife Appointment!
January 10, 2013 - Morphology Ultrasound
January 16, 2013 - 3rd Midwife Appointment

We are team GREEN!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#8 conky

conky
  • Global 100+
  • 744 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

I also recommend Mt. Sinai/Dr. Jarvi. He deals a lot with male infertility. Get a referral!