• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 misty

misty
  • 13 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

Hi there, I'm new to the board. I've been reading it daily since I discovered it last month. Even though I haven't posted before I've really appreciated the support and information that Ive found on this board. It's such an emotional process and I'm just getting started!

I'm 39 and my DH (starting to get all the acronyms too) is 42. We have a 2 year old daughter who we conceived naturally. I just had to post because I'm feeling so depressed. I'm at Create n Toronto and after our initial meeting with the doctor everything seemed so positive and like I had a really good chance but now it seems that's not the case and I'm not handling it very well. In January I did the FSH test with my OBGYN and it was 10 not the best but totally doable. But 2 weeks ago when they redid the test it was now 18.5!!! 18.5!!!! So now I feel like it's pretty hopeless. I have a follow-up meeting in a week but I feel like all those tests (40+ vials of blood, sono, hsg, all those internal and external ultrasounds) were for nothing. I had taken Serophene on Day 3 - 7 My doctor suggested I take 600 mg of CoQ10 and DHEA but has anyone ever seen the FSH # go down and I mean is it really improving the eggs or just artificially reduce the #? I am so crushed.

I'll try and work on getting that signature history that you all have. So helpful when I'm looking for success stories.

#2 DesignerBug

DesignerBug
  • 1000+
  • 2,645 posts
  • My Clinic:ONE

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

There are some stories of people who have sought alternative medicines like chinese medical practitioners or naturopaths who have been able to provide supplements and diet recommendation and have reported reduced levels and some ultimately leading to success. I'm pretty sure there is a doc in TO, maybe at a west end clinic or something named similarly who specializes in diagnoses like yours. It may be worth seeking a second opinion?

I am sorry that this roller coaster has already taken you on some unexpected ups and downs. Keep researching, investigating and believing in yourself and your little angel that is waiting to join you. Keep working towards providing the best opportunity for success and hopefully you will be able to conceive.

Like many of us, you're faced with an uphill battle, but with a great support system and plenty of information and experience, there's no reason for you to go it alone.

Wishing you the best of luck.

D
TTC#1 April 2003 - Jan 2009
9 IUIs, 12 months Fermara, 4 months Clomid, 5 rounds of injectable, 1 LAP, 1 HSG, 2 Uterine Biopsies, 1 Postcoital, 1 IVF, 2 FETs... 2nd Fesh Cycle IVF - ++Beta 110!

TTC#2 - Dreams coming true... Surprise BFP Au Naturel! Never really started trying, but never gave up hope on dreams coming true. 20w2, after 6 days of strict bedrest, we lost our baby boy, Emmett to my incompetent cervix and he was born sleeping. 24cm long, 0.67lbs he was the most perfect little angel and has brought with him many lessons for us to remember him by.

Lightening strikes twice apparently>>>> May 24 ++HPT, Followed by ++Beta. Numbers are low, but doubling. EDD Feb1/2013

#3 galfromaway

galfromaway
  • Cyclebase
  • 739 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:AART

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:15 AM

As I understand it, our FSH levels can fluctuate from month to month. Mine was 12 for our first IVF attempt, and went down to just over 10 for the second, so they can change. I was also on CoQ10 for the second IVF.

Ask lots of questions in your follow-up -- does your doctor feel it's worth trying a cycle now, or wait for a few months to see if the CoQ10 and DHA help things? Have they seen success with FSH levels like yours? Do a bit of research to see what options there are to help you with this as well. Like DB, I've heard there are benefits to Chinese Traditional Medicine and working with a naturopath, so if your budget allows it, it might be worth looking into.

This is such a rollercoaster to go through... been there... and it sucks at times. Hang in there. Don't lose hope.

Our story:

Nov 2009 - laparoscopy, endometriosis removed.
Jan-July 2010 - Clomid. Nuffin.
Nov 2010- IVF attempt 1 - two embryos transferred
Dec 2010 - Positive beta
Jan 2011 - Blighted ovum sad.png
Oct 2011 - IVF attempt 2
Nov 2011 - Negative beta. Done.
Winter 2011/12 - published: http://offbeatmama.c...t-not-defective
Spring 2012 - PRIDE training
July 11, 2012 - positive HPT - WTF??!!! Natural pregnancy it seems! Approx 6.5 weeks along
July 20, 2012 - Appointment with doctor. Ultrasound - it's in there!! 7w6d along, due March 1, 2013!

This is really happening! *happydance*

February 25, 2013 - Dakota Rose arrived after a somewhat unexpected c-section. And we are so in love. :)

#4 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Cyclebase
  • 3,483 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:41 AM

FSH does, like antral counts and many other hormonal levels, fluctuate from month to month; but like a chain being only as strong as its weakest link, the higher number will be a concern for your RE. Some women have had good response on DHEa (although it hard to know whether they'd have had lower numbers regardless of the DHEA) and others, like myself, have had far worse results while on it.

FWIW, I spiked a 15 after my first, failed, IVF (after about 5 months on DHEA and coQ10). I dropped the DHEA, my RE prescribed a single carefully timed cetrotide shot to "re-set" the system and the next day 3 FSH was under 10 (where it had been prior to going on DHEA). That cycle was successful and we have a perfect little girl.

Fingers corssed for you!
  • gibasgirl likes this

me 48, he 50 30 years together!
History: ectopic; late miscarriage
Many child 'free' years
Success on 2nd IVF (Halleujah! and happy 44th birthday to me!)
SHE'S HERE! SHE'S HERE!Born 05/11/2010 8:25pm. 5 lbs 13 ozs of absolute sunshine!
Tea parties, mud pies, and glitter!
Exploring options for IVF#3 (OE).
Test results appear promising and we are greenlighted.
4 mature eggs retrieved 04/06/14. All fertilized normally; scheduled for transfer on 04/09/14.
All 4 on board; beta set for 04/17/14. Second beta scheduled for 04/21/14. 3rd beta set for 04/23/14. Sono to see what might be going on set for 04/24.
Waiting game is over; another ectopic.

#5 Butterfli

Butterfli
  • Global 100+
  • 598 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Fertility East

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

Although I have no advice to offer on that subject I just wanted to wish you a big welcome. I was the same as you, lurking around for weeks, so glad I finally joined because the info & support is amazing! Good luck with everything!
  • gibasgirl likes this

Me 30 DW 34 - Two mummies to be! I'll carry my wife's egg so we can blend our family

First IVF Cycle

March 2012 Fresh - BFN

April 2012 FET- BFN

May 2012 FET- BFP - M/c6w6d icon_cry.gif

Second IVF Cycle

August 31 Fresh- th_abfp.gif

1st Beta 265 (TG) 11dp3dt

Sep 8 - 2nd Beta 8751 18dp3dt

Sep 15 - 3rd Beta - 43066 25dp3dt

DS is born the 4th of May and we are so smitten!

stork-baby.gifProject Sibling stork-baby.gif

Me - 32 DW - 36 babyboy.gif - 1

Second IVF Cycle

April 2014 FET - BFN 

Third IVF Cycle

July 2014 Fresh - th_abfp.gif

1st Beta 105 (TG) 9dp5dt

2nd Beta 1150 14dp5dt

Third Beta 12470 21dp5dt

August 2 Scan -

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans

#6 LWill

LWill
  • 39 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:02 PM

My wife and I were to start our 3rd IVF, or should I say 3rd session of stims but when my wife's FSH came back at 16.3 the RE told us our only alternative was DE. We started reading about DHEA and decided my wife should start taking it as well as CoQ10 and other vitamins and a month later her 3rd day FSH had dropped to 10. The next month it had dropped to 7 so we waited a couple more months because what we had read this would improve egg quality. We had a sono done and we were told to start stimming with Gonal-F and Menopur the 2nd day of my wifes flow. Well we waited and waited and my wife decided to take a HPT and it was a positive.
Not sure if it was just the DHEA but I believe it did help. Unfortunately we lost the baby at 5 weeks.
8/2011 - Changed from IVF to IUI due to no mature eggs BFN
11/2011 - 1st IVF which was BFP
12/2011 - Terminate pregnancy due to being tubal
6/2012 - Cancelled IVF due to natural pregnancy
7/2012 - M/C
11/2012 - Changed from IVF to IUI due to 3 mature eggs BFN
12/2013 - Decided to go Donor route
1/14/13 - Hold Donor, had a natural pregnancy
1/15/13 - HCG 581
1/17/13 - HCG 1,350
2/05/13 - Sonogram Scheduled

#7 misty

misty
  • 13 posts
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

Guys thanks so much for your replies and the warm welcome. I'm definitely trying to stay positive! I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the doctor says next week. =( Hopefully the other results will be more positive? Sigh.

So glad to learn that the FSH levels can fluctuate. Sliver of hope!

Designerbug - I did see a Naturopath in April 2012 and I cut out dairy and started taking 100 mg of Ubiquinol (CoQ10) and fish oil 150 mg. Thats why I'm not too hopeful about the Coq10 and the DHEA as I was already taking it. Now my RE has me on 600 mg of CoQ10 and 75mg of DHEA. Will it make a difference? My fingers and toes and everything are crossed! I'll look into acupuncture as an option.

Mouse - thanks for sharing your story. Now I'm wondering if I made my FSH go up by taking the supplements! Ahhhh who knows really...

Butterfli - Thanks for the welcome!

Galfromaway - You're so right I need to research and figure out questions that I need to ask my RE.

LWill - dont think i am up for DE....but Im sure everyone says that at first...So sorry about your loss. I know what its like to have a m/c and its the absolute Worst. But it is still encouraging to hear that the FSH went down.

Big thanks to all for your encouragement!!

#8 iskwew

iskwew
  • 77 posts
  • My Clinic:Mount Sinai

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

My FSH was 18 three months ago, then 15, then 11 & this month it was 8... I'm 39 DH is 42. We are on our 4th IUI. I've done acupuncture every month & started taking CoQ10, wheatgrass juice, & royal jelly 2 months ago. My E2 numbers are good as well so the numbers are not superficial! The supplements seem to be helping plus i try to eat a healthy diet. I'm hoping this cycle will be the one!
Me: 39 DH: 41

TTC since Sept. 2008
Nov. 2009 - DH - motility and morphology issues
Dec. 2009/Jan. 2010 Clomid, Ovidrel, & IUI - I react horribly to Clomid, stick it through - produce 2 follies
mid Jan - BFP!!! Can't believe it!!
Feb. 14. 2010 - M/C...not a Happy Valentines Day - I am devastated to lose this little one
April 2012 - start TTC again; FSH is 18 plus right tube looks blocked DR is concerned
May 2012 - DH numbers have drastically improved!!! Vitamins/exercise/no heat all paid off
May 2012 - my FSH is 15 - IUI is cancelled; fearful I will not have any eggs - I'm devastated - first time it was him, now me?
meet with DR - do AMH test (supposed to be more accurate than FSH) decide to do IUI irregardless of FSH #'s although DR thinks I won't respond
May 2012 - Have 2 acupuncture treatments
June 16 2012 - day 3 start of 200 ml Puregon
June 21 - swelling in hands, feet, breasts, & abdomen - severe pain go to ER - cyst burst
June 22 - u/s & blood work - I am responding (yay!), but no sign of over-stimulation; told to take dose of Puregon
June 22 - clinic calls & tells me my E. numbers look too high - they are afraid I'm overstimulating told to not take next dose
June 23 - u/s & blood work - four follies but all on right side; sono showed blockage but laproscopy 4 years ago showed both clear
June 24 - Ovidrel shot @ 10 pm
June 25 - packing my bags to go to TO for IUI in am! a bit of cramping from Ovidrel but nothing too serious
June 26 - IUI at 11 am - three follies 11, 17, & 19 - E2 levels good - DH's numbers good -
June 27 - the dreaded TWW begins... I'm already going crazy & its only day 1
July 11 - Beta is negative... sniff sniff... round 2 begins...
July 12 - start taking natural supplements - Royal Jelly, frozen Wheatgrass Juice, CoQ10
July 15 - day 3 of AF start stimming again same dose of Puregon - FSH has dropped - 11 this time
July 20 - two follies 15 and 16 both on right side :-( - on the plus side no crazy swelling this round - just some bloating & some emotional outbursts
July 21 - trigger tonight with IUI on Monday....
Aug 8 - Negative again - Round 3 - It does feel like a boxing ring & I do feel like I've just been knocked down. I'm so sad.
Aug 10 - day 3 u/s - 3 follies - two on left (11 & 12)!!!! one on right (12)... I hope hope hope the left side matures...started stimming today. FSH is now 8.5 with normal E2 numbers! It has continually dropped!
Aug. 17 - IUI number 3...left follie 2.1 - right 1.7 - DH's numbers normal & best they've ever been. Surged on my own so no trigger. Could this be the month?
Sept. 3 - BFN... heartbreak - RE wants us to move to IVF, but I need to take some time to get my spirit back.

#9 iskwew

iskwew
  • 77 posts
  • My Clinic:Mount Sinai

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:55 PM

Oh I forgot! You might want to request an AMH test - blood test that is much more accurate than FSH for testing ovarian reserve. I did & found out while mine is on the lower end, I still have a fairly good chance since I still have eggs!
Me: 39 DH: 41

TTC since Sept. 2008
Nov. 2009 - DH - motility and morphology issues
Dec. 2009/Jan. 2010 Clomid, Ovidrel, & IUI - I react horribly to Clomid, stick it through - produce 2 follies
mid Jan - BFP!!! Can't believe it!!
Feb. 14. 2010 - M/C...not a Happy Valentines Day - I am devastated to lose this little one
April 2012 - start TTC again; FSH is 18 plus right tube looks blocked DR is concerned
May 2012 - DH numbers have drastically improved!!! Vitamins/exercise/no heat all paid off
May 2012 - my FSH is 15 - IUI is cancelled; fearful I will not have any eggs - I'm devastated - first time it was him, now me?
meet with DR - do AMH test (supposed to be more accurate than FSH) decide to do IUI irregardless of FSH #'s although DR thinks I won't respond
May 2012 - Have 2 acupuncture treatments
June 16 2012 - day 3 start of 200 ml Puregon
June 21 - swelling in hands, feet, breasts, & abdomen - severe pain go to ER - cyst burst
June 22 - u/s & blood work - I am responding (yay!), but no sign of over-stimulation; told to take dose of Puregon
June 22 - clinic calls & tells me my E. numbers look too high - they are afraid I'm overstimulating told to not take next dose
June 23 - u/s & blood work - four follies but all on right side; sono showed blockage but laproscopy 4 years ago showed both clear
June 24 - Ovidrel shot @ 10 pm
June 25 - packing my bags to go to TO for IUI in am! a bit of cramping from Ovidrel but nothing too serious
June 26 - IUI at 11 am - three follies 11, 17, & 19 - E2 levels good - DH's numbers good -
June 27 - the dreaded TWW begins... I'm already going crazy & its only day 1
July 11 - Beta is negative... sniff sniff... round 2 begins...
July 12 - start taking natural supplements - Royal Jelly, frozen Wheatgrass Juice, CoQ10
July 15 - day 3 of AF start stimming again same dose of Puregon - FSH has dropped - 11 this time
July 20 - two follies 15 and 16 both on right side :-( - on the plus side no crazy swelling this round - just some bloating & some emotional outbursts
July 21 - trigger tonight with IUI on Monday....
Aug 8 - Negative again - Round 3 - It does feel like a boxing ring & I do feel like I've just been knocked down. I'm so sad.
Aug 10 - day 3 u/s - 3 follies - two on left (11 & 12)!!!! one on right (12)... I hope hope hope the left side matures...started stimming today. FSH is now 8.5 with normal E2 numbers! It has continually dropped!
Aug. 17 - IUI number 3...left follie 2.1 - right 1.7 - DH's numbers normal & best they've ever been. Surged on my own so no trigger. Could this be the month?
Sept. 3 - BFN... heartbreak - RE wants us to move to IVF, but I need to take some time to get my spirit back.