• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 STSG

STSG
  • 53 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Edmonton

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

Hello Ladies.I met with my RE yesterday and he said mostly due to age, my chances of success with IVF are 40-50%. Just curious what your success rates were and did you have success? I am 40
Thanks
Nicky

Me: 40 DB 31
Started TTC when i was 29 turning 30. My ex and I tried for 6 years. Then decided we hadn't come close to getting pregnant with trying everything but IVF, so we decided to live child free.
We divorced and I met a man 10 years younger than me who encouraged me to try again, knowing there was a very good chance I may never make him a father. We are now doing IVF with ICSI (because of my age). No time to waste!

Dec 28/12-CD1
Dec 31-CD3 u/s & b/w. Scan shows 6 follies, Estrogen a bit high but will proceed with meds and may convert to IUI cycle if necessary
Dec 31-CD3 starting stims. 300iu Puregon & 75iu Menopur
Jan 3rd-2013 CD7 u/s & b/w. Scan shows 7 follies and great uterine lining. Adding orgalutran
Jan 5th CD9 u/s & b/w all good. Still have 7 follies
Jan 7th CD 11 HCG trigger shot tonight
Jan 9th CD13-Egg Retrieval
Jan 10th CD14 Retreived 5 eggs at ER, 3 fertilized, possibly the 4th too..they are watching it
Jan 12th CD15 Will do a 3 Day transfer of 3 embies (and hope to freeze the 4th if it grows)

Jan 12th -3 day ET. Transfered 4 embies...we wanted to transfer 3 and freeze one, but the embryologist said the 4th was slow growing and it would have a better chance inside me and might not make it to freeze, so we transferred all 4!!

Jan 23-11dp3dt BETA....Praying for my first ever BFP!!

#2 sharlene

sharlene
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,702 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:USA

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

Welcome to IVF.CA - I strongly recommend checking out the "over 40 and pregnant or trying to be" thread - you can introduce yourself and read as much of the prior posting as you like. There are a bunch of women with a lot of experience in IVFs.

Good luck!

#3 anytime now

anytime now
  • Cyclebase
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

It sounds like you were being quoted your chances at a pregnancy, and not live birth
This is a compilation of success rates for the US
For age 38-40, the pregnancy rate is nearly 30% with a 22% live birth rate.
https://www.sartcors...px?ClinicPKID=0
It is good to start this year as at age 41 the live birth rate dives to 12.5 %

I started IVF at 41 and my only issue was maternal age. i was quoted very similar success rates to those on the SART reports above
By the time I finished 3 rounds of IVF I was told I'd win the 649 lottery before I'd have a live birth. i had a natural BFP one month before my 43rd birthday while practising what I thought was adequate birth control with my fairly new boyfriend. My baby is nursing as I type this and I refer to him as my 649 win

All that to say you just never know....

Good luck!
Me: 44 (sigh) DB is 40 (Dear boyfriend!)

TTC from March 2009-March 2011 before DB had arrived on the scene
About 9 IUIs, 3 IVFs total

2 pregnancies with 7 week miscarriage requiring D&C
2 chemical pregnancies

April 2011 began a relationship now with a wonderful guy with an 8 year old son.
Sept 2011 Natural BFP while trying not to conceive (how ironic)
First Beta Day 15 from LMP was 851, Beta 4, 19 days post ovulation 5382
7wk US showed a heartbeat of 150! 9 wk US HB 185

May 19 2012 DS is born!!

#4 Yearning

Yearning
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,367 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Foothills

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

Welcome STSG. I think sharlene and anytime now have given you some good advice. Anytime now has provided you with what I also feel is a very good link.

Best of luck!

Me (46), DH (47)
Dx: Nothing other than advanced maternal age. DH - poor count, motility and morphology
TTC since August 2007

Straight to IVF/ICSI, assisted hatching
ER - May 22, 2010, ET - May 25, 2010
BFP
DD born January 26, 2011 at 37w4d, 6 lbs 15.8 oz, 20.5 inches

#5 STSG

STSG
  • 53 posts
  • My Clinic:Edmonton

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

Thanks for your replies ladies, I will check out that link

Me: 40 DB 31
Started TTC when i was 29 turning 30. My ex and I tried for 6 years. Then decided we hadn't come close to getting pregnant with trying everything but IVF, so we decided to live child free.
We divorced and I met a man 10 years younger than me who encouraged me to try again, knowing there was a very good chance I may never make him a father. We are now doing IVF with ICSI (because of my age). No time to waste!

Dec 28/12-CD1
Dec 31-CD3 u/s & b/w. Scan shows 6 follies, Estrogen a bit high but will proceed with meds and may convert to IUI cycle if necessary
Dec 31-CD3 starting stims. 300iu Puregon & 75iu Menopur
Jan 3rd-2013 CD7 u/s & b/w. Scan shows 7 follies and great uterine lining. Adding orgalutran
Jan 5th CD9 u/s & b/w all good. Still have 7 follies
Jan 7th CD 11 HCG trigger shot tonight
Jan 9th CD13-Egg Retrieval
Jan 10th CD14 Retreived 5 eggs at ER, 3 fertilized, possibly the 4th too..they are watching it
Jan 12th CD15 Will do a 3 Day transfer of 3 embies (and hope to freeze the 4th if it grows)

Jan 12th -3 day ET. Transfered 4 embies...we wanted to transfer 3 and freeze one, but the embryologist said the 4th was slow growing and it would have a better chance inside me and might not make it to freeze, so we transferred all 4!!

Jan 23-11dp3dt BETA....Praying for my first ever BFP!!

#6 snowmom

snowmom

Raving Lunatic

• Cyclebase
  • 1,996 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

It also depends on the clinic. Many clinics won't treat women *ahem* of a certain age. When you look at their stats, keep that in mind.
  • gibasgirl likes this
Me 40: Total tubal blockage, 1 ovary, DOR DH 35: Poor motilityTTC since 1998DS natural conception 1996DS&DD ivf icsi 2008DS ivf icsi 2013.Our family is complete.Donated four frosties. IP's got bfp!

#7 snowmom

snowmom

Raving Lunatic

• Cyclebase
  • 1,996 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

PS, also how they report, ie. some clinics only report a positive beta, some a heartbeat, some live birth.

And also, good luck!
  • gibasgirl likes this
Me 40: Total tubal blockage, 1 ovary, DOR DH 35: Poor motilityTTC since 1998DS natural conception 1996DS&DD ivf icsi 2008DS ivf icsi 2013.Our family is complete.Donated four frosties. IP's got bfp!

#8 rstar

rstar
  • 92 posts
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:42 AM

Don't give up....I had my 2nd attempt of ICSI when I turned 41, that's what I wanted for my BDay. We won the lottery TWICE!! or (3 times including ODD). It was a rollercoaster ride but we did end up giving our daughter 2 beautiful, healthy sisters. Good luck with the IVF journey.
  • gibasgirl likes this

#9 delegate2010

delegate2010
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts
  • My Clinic:Genesis, Vancouver, B.C.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

I was never given a number, but he did say my chances of success were good based on various factors. Age (I'm 42 now and finally pregnant - 19 weeks today - from my 3rd fresh cycle of IVF with ICSI) is only one factor. I'm also in reasonable shape (just slightly past the upper edge of normal for my weight range) and healthy. Our problem is my husband's sperm (low motility and morphology), but that doesn't matter so much with ICSI as they pick out the good ones, take them by the scruff of the neck and shove them right on in there. I wouldn't focus on the numbers too much. You'll make yourself crazy. It's a tough balancing act, but I always tried to stay hopeful but realistic. If it's meant to be, it WILL happen. My midwife told me she has had two patients who were 47 and pregnant with their first (I don't know if they had medical assistance getting pregnant, but it's still heartening).
  • gibasgirl likes this

#10 delegate2010

delegate2010
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts
  • My Clinic:Genesis, Vancouver, B.C.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

I forgot to mention that there are studies that indicate your chances are increased a fair amount with acupuncture. Also, women who laugh a lot around the time of transfer have higher pregnancy rates. The common denominator is relaxation. I think both acupuncture and laughter relax the uterus and help with implantation.
  • gibasgirl likes this