2 replies to this topic

#1 leigh14

leigh14
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,426 posts
  • Dx:Immunological
  • My Clinic:Markham

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hi, I was wondering if any of you used belly wraps after pregnancy. Essentially, these are compression type of wraps that purport to help your belly return to its regular state faster and reduce stretch marks.

I have looked at two online:

The Tauts Wrap by Brooke Burke
The Belly Bandit

I've read that the Organic Belly Bandit can be used after a C-Section as well. I don't know yet whether I will need one but the possibility has been raised.

Any thoughts on these? Recommendations?

Thanks!

Leigh.
Me: 40
Dx: DH: Vasectomy; need IVF/ICSI ME: D.O.R. and many immunological issues. (Initially presented as "normal" but issues were only discovered after IVF attempt #2 and #3 after testing at new clinic)
IVF attempt #1 Nov.2009, Age 37: Long "Lupron" protocol
Dec.2009: Cycle cancelled due to oversuppression
IVF attempt #2, Age 38: April 2010: 3 eggs retrieved, 2 mature, 2 fertilized, ET of 2 embryos BFN
IVF atempt #3 at new clinic: November 2010, Age 38: 5 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 4 fertilized, ET of 2 blastocysts BFP
Strong beta numbers but babies not measuring on track but one heartbeat is present. Followup u/s reveals no HB's :( Had D&C--so sad.
Moved to new clinic closer to home + more of a focus on testing for potential immunological factors:
Further testing reveals three mutations related to inherited thrombophilia (2 MTHFR mutations and PA1-1 mutation), positive ANA, elevated NK cells and cytokines and low levels of leukocyte antibodies (LADS), Recommended Immunological treatment: Humira, LIT, IVig and blood thinners if PG
IVF Protocol: Low stim for me/ TESE needed for DH; took Humira in late August and early September; taking DHEA plus Co-Enzyme Q10, vitamins for DH just for good measure! September--two trips to Mexico for LIT treatment, treatments 3 weeks apart
Initial re-testing through Alan Beer Centre after some of the immune treatments reveals only cytokines were lowered, NKs still high and LAD numbers still low. Another LIT in Mexico is recommended. We decide to begin cycle on doctor's recommendation of just doing IVIG.
IVF#4, Age 39 : November 2011: Worst AFC EVER--a whopping 4! Three follicles responded, two eggs were retrieved. Three day transfer of two Grade 1 8 cell embryos: "Fahita" & "Burrito" Stick, stick, stick little ones!
BFP! Beta of 569
Viability u/s at 6 w 2d shows TWO babies measuring on track with heartbeats of 121. Looks like babies might be sharing the same amniotic sac.
Second u/s at 7w 2 d shows ONE baby with hb of 150, measuring 7 w 3 days. No sign of twin. Vanishing twin syndrome?
Third u/s at 8 w 2d shows ONE baby with hb of 170, measuring 8 w 3 days. Looks like a little jellybean!
12 week u/s at 12 w 2 days and baby is measuring 12 w 5 days with a heart beat of 150. Baby mooned us and waved at us with one hand....looked like a "royal" wave to me!
13 week doctor's appointment, HB=155 on doppler
14 week u/s to check cervix, HB=148
16 week u/s to check cervix, HB=138, baby had hiccups!
20 week u/s--everything looks good! HB=130, looks like we're having a GIRL!
IPS results very good!
39 weeks: Our baby girl arrived!!! She is healthy and beautiful! We are so happy! :)

Lilypie Maternity tickers

#2 LBO

LBO
  • Global 100+
  • 357 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Ottawa Fertility Clinic

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

I have the Belly Bandit and I only used it a handful of times. I didn't have a c-section but I had a really difficult and painful time with breast feeding so I couldn't bare to wear something so uncomfortable. I've heard other people have had success with losing inches but it wasn't my thing.

#3 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1,835 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Centre

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

I had something called "Shrinks" for my hips, but I didn't find it effective - it just seemed to slip out of place. Can't recommend it.

I had seen Brooke Burk on The Doctors talking about Tauts and googled it, but ended up just getting a good pair of spanx. I think that's what I would recommend. I didn't start wearing them until Emily was 3 or 4 weeks old, but I found them comfortable. They are a body shaper so same idea (the idea being that there is relaxin in your system for something like 6 to 8 weeks after the baby is born, so a body shaper can help to flatten your tummy and regain your former shape. Not sure how effective it was). Sometimes you can get spanx at Winners. I went to a hosery store in a mall and got mine. They are a higher-end pair, but really comfy. They have a higher waist, so they don't roll-down when you sit.
Me: 35 DH:35
Dx: Unexplained
Started ttc September 2006
November 2007 - Initial consult at LifeQuest
January 2008 - Diagnostic testing.
February 2008 - Test results - No problems with DH. Dr. suspected I had a PCOS variant and that I probably wasn't ovulating. Suggested superovulation (injectibles) with or without IUI
Decided to forgo treatment for the time being and focus on improving my health.
March 2008 - October 2009 - LOTS of alternative therapy. You name it, I tried it!
February 2009 - confirmed via cycle monitoring I was now ovulating and my ovaries both look fine. Officially unexplained IF. Hmmm, now what?
Next Steps: Had initial consult with Dr. Virro at Markham Fertility Centre on October 1, 2009. Hysteroscopy/laproscopy performed on February 5, 2010. Post op appointment on March 8, 2010. Found out one small spot of endo removed from uterus and a very tiny septum resected.
Started BCP on March 31, 2010.
First IVF (first anything!) cycle after.
Last BCP April 20th.
Started stims: April 25 (Puregon - varied from 100iu to 42.5iu, Menopur - 75iu, and orgalutron)
ER date - May 5th.
14 retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized - 4 via IVF, 3 via ICSI
3 days past retrieval - 5 8-cell embryos (3 via IVF, 2 via ICSI), 2 lagging 6-cell embryos (1 via IVF, 1 via ICSI)
ET on May 10, 5day past retrieval - tranferred 1 "superb, could sell it on e-bay" embaby - grade 5AB0! 4 more "lovely" totsicles (2 5day, 2 6day). The ivf embies did better than the icsi embies.
Beta - May 21s: BFP! Beta was 507! Still early days, but we're happy to be pg!
Viability scan - June 11. Baby right on track, heartrate of 140bpm, measuring 7weeks 1day at just over 1cm long. HOWEVER, big cyst in my right ovary. Going back for another u/s in two weeks to monitor the cyst.
U/S to monitor cyst - June 24 - cyst shrank slightly. Baby still measuring on track, 9weeks 1day and just over 2cm long, heartrate of 167bpm
12week u/s - July 12 - cyst had shrank to 2cm. Baby looked like a baby! Moving around and flailing arms and legs. Just over 5.5cm long, heartrate of 160bpm. Nuchal scan and nasal bone both looked good. Doctor's appointment went well.
20 week ultrasound and doctors appointment - baby looks good - its a girl :) Test results from IPS test show a 1 in 20,000 risk of a chromosomal abnormality. Placenta is partially covering cervix, doctor will check again at 32 weeks.
26 week doctors appointment - GD test
30 week doctors appointment - got GD test results, I passed. Baby measuring on track, good strong heartbeat :)
32 week doctors appointment - u/s to check placenta position to see if it has been pulled up from my cervix and also to check baby's size

Lilypie First Birthday tickers